• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

watershed

Banned
I had a 3D Land streetpass today with someone who actually has the game instead of just another 3ds owner. So here's the difference, when you streetpass someone who only has a 3ds you get toad's house and mystery boxes. When you streetpass someone who has the game also you get the same things plus their best time for each level. I streetpassed a mii named Jamila who just got the 3ds very recently probably with 3D Land. I beat her time in every level!

Edit: Apparently you don't get rival time data for every level. Oddly I have some rival times for world 3 yet a few levels are missing rival times in world 1 and 2 even though you need to beat some of those levels to advance. Maybe all the data didn't transfer or something?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Funny story: Beat Special-Crown on my second go as Luigi and my 45th as Mario.

To be fair though I didn't use either Tanooki Suit on the Mario run. What a great game.

AniHawk

i can't get over how simplistic the level design is. it's just so weird coming from nsmbw and smg2. i like some ideas, but they're not pushed that far. i think part of it is the removal of some of mario's moveset, or at least not requiring some of it. however, it is making the
second brother run
more interesting because i can essentially just speed run them.

EloquentM said:
I have no trouble getting gold flags. like I said a simple roll long jump combo will get you a gold flag every time. I just die a lot in platformers as I'm not very cautious or patient in these types of games.

just have to finish the rest of the special worlds with mario and luigi and I'm done. I'm currently on sw-5!

I read this post and got confused between its poster and you somehow.

nicoga3000 said:
Can you get gold flags on the castle/ship levels? I have tried and have yet to get a gold on them. I'm getting a bit miffed...

I'm halfway through that other part of the game...

9.5/10

I thought the game would be fun but while it won't get any Game of the Year attention, if it got mentioned in the discussion, it wouldn't be laughable at all.

pa22word

S8-
Crown
is pretty ridiculous. If you guys
didn't master the roll jump move, bring a Tanooki leaf as it is required to progress in the level.
Some of the jumps it demands are pretty inhumane >_<

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
EloquentM said:
roll + long jump is your friend.

Oh shit. I've gotten some lucky jumps getting yellow flags with regular ass Mario, but I will try this next time. A real pisser when I get all gold stars and fumble the yellow flag because I didn't have Tanooki.

Getting the golden flags isn't that hard with a simple run+jump.

It doesn't always work but the flagpoles aren't that far away from the highest platform.

I've never even done a roll-then long jump.

Just played World 1.

The level design has been good. But I must admit to having depth perception issues. I know they're trying to show just how 3D they can be, but I'm having trouble adjusting (and yes, I've been playing in 3D).

There have been times where I had the height and the distance on my jump to nail the top of the flagpole, but I simply missed. It happened on a couple of jumps as well, and I even walked off a cliff once. I'm still deciding if it's the different controls or the way the levels stress three-dimensional platforming. I can beat Galaxy with my eyes shut and speed run the Sunshine bonus levels, so I shouldn't be new to this.

Anyway, the game mechanics are fun with interesting design, but the adjustment has been a little frustrating. Also, since 3D obviously isn't helping me, I'm going to shut it off because I get double vision when the system moves even a little bit.

Boogiepop

artwalknoon said:
Edit: Apparently you don't get rival time data for every level. Oddly I have some rival times for world 3 yet a few levels are missing rival times in world 1 and 2 even though you need to beat some of those levels to advance. Maybe all the data didn't transfer or something?
My guess would be they didn't beat them in one go. If you get a flag and then die, it won't record your time.

Freezie KO said:
I'm going to shut it off because I get double vision when the system moves even a little bit.
If you haven't, give the other 3D mode a try by pressing up on the D-pad, I(and many others as well) prefer this one. The default (if I'm remembering correctly) is more of a window view.

sfried

Freezie KO said:
Just played World 1.

The level design has been good. But I must admit to having depth perception issues. I know they're trying to show just how 3D they can be, but I'm having trouble adjusting (and yes, I've been playing in 3D).

There have been times where I had the height and the distance on my jump to nail the top of the flagpole, but I simply missed. It happened on a couple of jumps as well, and I even walked off a cliff once. I'm still deciding if it's the different controls or the way the levels stress three-dimensional platforming. I can beat Galaxy with my eyes shut and speed run the Sunshine bonus levels, so I shouldn't be new to this.

Anyway, the game mechanics are fun with interesting design, but the adjustment has been a little frustrating. Also, since 3D obviously isn't helping me, I'm going to shut it off because I get double vision when the system moves even a little bit.
Try pressing Up or Down on the pad. Pressing Up enables pop-up effects. Pressing Down disables it and makes it more like Ocarina of Time's 3D effect.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Getting the golden flags isn't that hard with a simple run+jump.

It doesn't always work but the flagpoles aren't that far away from the highest platform.

I've never even done a roll-then long jump.

I think my issue is just on a few levels and the timing of jumps. I imagine that I'll have no issue with it after I get through the game. Currently starting world 4, so it's time to break and finish more tomorrow.

Really, this game is about as perfect as you can get for handheld platforming.

I've been working through the special worlds. Some provide a nice challenge, and some are just plain frustrating. I really don't like the ones with the blocks that appear and disappear to the beat of the music. I'm still having a great time with the game. I didn't get all the stars in either Galaxy, but I'm going for everything in this one, so I guess that shows how much I like this game.

nicoga3000 said:
I think my issue is just on a few levels and the timing of jumps. I imagine that I'll have no issue with it after I get through the game. Currently starting world 4, so it's time to break and finish more tomorrow.

Really, this game is about as perfect as you can get for handheld platforming.

It's certainly much harder than getting to the top of the flags in the older games, that's for sure.

The mechanics in this game are different but obviously not broken.

I think a lot of Mario games play differently than the others and whether you think it's subtle or vast, most you become used to rather quickly.

Oni Link 666 said:
I've been working through the special worlds. Some provide a nice challenge, and some are just plain frustrating. I really don't like the ones with the blocks that appear and disappear to the beat of the music.

Those are tough because of the slowish speed of Mario this time around.

Or did you also dislike them in the regular worlds????

I tried up on the D-pad to a different 3D and promptly got my first P-wing to show up. I feel like such a neophyte.

However, I've been playing some more, and I'm beginning to get a better handle on the controls and the three-dimensionality. I must say that I'm still not sold on the run button, and I'm not quite sure how I'm supposed to get some of these gold flags without a tanooki suit. Still, the levels are inventive, if short, and I'm really enjoying the game. At least I feel like it's my fault when I die.

Freezie KO said:
I tried up on the D-pad to a different 3D and promptly got my first P-wing to show up. I feel like such a neophyte.

However, I've been playing some more, and I'm beginning to get a better handle on the controls and the three-dimensionality. I must say that I'm still not sold on the run button, and I'm not quite sure how I'm supposed to get some of these gold flags without a tanooki suit. Still, the levels are inventive, if short, and I'm really enjoying the game. At least I feel like it's my fault when I die.
There really easy to get once you get the hang of it, you just have to make sure you're running at top speed at jump at the very edge of the platform. Or apparently the roll jump works good too.

But yeah, obviously they're much, much easier with the tanooki suit.

I wish the game wasn't so centered on the tanooki suit, I feel like I have a much greater appreciation for the level design when I go through levels without it but they give it to you so often I feel like I'm in it half the time I'm playing.

dr3upmushroom said:
I wish the game wasn't so centered on the tanooki suit, I feel like I have a much greater appreciation for the level design when I go through levels without it but they give it to you so often I feel like I'm in it half the time I'm playing.

It certainly is overpowered but you can do some crazy ass platforming, skipping whole parts and all that, with it.

I know what you mean though.

I guess you could just not get it or not use it but obviously it's in there to use and some would say this is you on your own making the game more challenging in a contrived fashion.

This game is amazing! So far, I'm loving every part of it. I just unlocked world 5, so I've still got a ways to go. This game makes me feel very good inside, every time I play it lol.

What 3D setting do most people play it on? I prefer the "pop-up" version, but is there any advantage to the other option?

DanteRavenkin said:
This game is amazing! So far, I'm loving every part of it. I just unlocked world 5, so I've still got a ways to go. This game makes me feel very good inside, every time I play it lol.

What 3D setting do most people play it on? I prefer the "pop-up" version, but is there any advantage to the other option?

I just play it on the setting the game came with.

I am too stupid to know which one that is or whether it is different than the other two or what.

I might not be playing in 3D even!!!!

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I guess you could just not get it or not use it but obviously it's in there to use and some would say this is you on your own making the game more challenging in a contrived fashion.

Yeah, I actually have gone back and played a few of my favorite levels without it, it definitely makes things much more challenging, and interesting in my opinion.

DanteRavenkin said:
Seems like most people are using the pop-up, up-position 3D so far with a few exceptions.

Personally the down position has a lot more depth to my eyes, but for some reason I get crazy cross-talk with that setting that just isn't present with the up position mode.

Also I like the up position more because it brings Mario closer to the "center" of the screen. The down position is more impressive depth-wise, but it feels weird having Mario so far away.

Neiteio

Just got all star medals in all 16 worlds, but still have to replay all 90+ levels with a certain someone and get gold flags in about 30-40 of them to unlock the true final level. So far it's taken me 16 hours. Can't wait to put more time into it. This is the best Mario game to date.

I found a negative in the game, the music in the level-select part.

Of course the game isn't meant to sit the system down but it's droning and too simple!!!!!

It's kind of hypnotizing though.

AniHawk

final playtime: 15:06. five shiny stars, all levels completed, 1110 lives.

there's a lot here, far more levels than new super mario bros., and incentives to keep unlocking more. it's also the mario game that was missing. the 3d one with the 2d power up system. i also grew used to the 3d visuals, and for once they actually helped me out in a couple of places. and while i sometimes saw dual images, it wasn't nearly as frequent as rayman 3d.

but it's just so easy. i think part of this is thanks to the 3ds itself. it's hard to pull of super crazy moves in 3d while handling a small controller. waggling the 3ds is also not a solution for stuff like a midair spin, something that's been in the last three main mario games now.

and on the level design itself, nsmbw felt like it was offering up a bunch of craziness in every level, messing around in 2d space like the mario series hadn't before. the same is true of smg2 except for 3d space. there's none of that in 3d land. and while the end of the game is a lot more challenging than the first half, plenty of the worlds essentially boiled down to speed runs with little variation in the actual design of the level. the rewards of nsmbw and smg2 were a lot more fun.

that said, 3d land met my expectations, but didn't blow me away. i think i might be good with holding off on another mario for a little bit. five in five years is plenty.

Just got through
Special World

The world 4 boss was an awesome surprise (though I hope that's the last I see of those two), and the world 5 boss fight was a pretty big disappointment coming after it.

I'm pretty happy with the difficulty right now, though so far the claims of it being extremely hard or brutal or whatever seem pretty exaggerated to me. I've still been able to get through many stages my first try (though I am dying more frequently), and the few times I haven't gotten all three star coins my first time through a level is if it required a powerup I didn't have.

The star coins are sort of disappointing, one on hand it is nice actually being able to find them, but there were a few really deviously hidden ones in NSMB that were really gratifying to finally track down.

AniHawk

dr3upmushroom said:
The star coins are sort of disappointing, one on hand it is nice actually being able to find them, but there were a few really deviously hidden ones in NSMB that were really gratifying to finally track down.

the difference between nsmb and 3d land is that the nsmb games had you rely on your platforming skills to get them. 3d land is more about going out of your way to find them (like, maybe they're up on this platform currently off-screen).

So apparently my order for this game was dispatched an hour ago, which is odd since i've just discovered that the game has in fact arrived, now that's fast delivery, must have used a warp pipe.

Barrett2

I am trying to limit myself to only a few levels per day, savor thr experience. Without revealing specifics, can someone tell me if the game gives incentive after you finish to keep playing, or to replay all the levels again?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
GameRevolution.com gave it an A
it’s really like no other game you’ve played before. 3D Land gets impressive mileage out of its titular feature. I still maintain that 3D handled properly is not just a gimmick, and 3D Land is a perfect example of that philosophy. There are actually places where the game would be more difficult and frustrating in 2D, because it was designed with 3D in mind instead of just as a visual treat. [...]

Super Mario 3D Land is one of the best Mario games in recent memory. It’s better than New Super Mario Bros. and just about on par with Galaxy. A few months back I stated that Ocarina of Time 3D was the premier reason to own a 3DS. That is no longer the case. Mario is still Nintendo’s man to move hardware, even if he is a bit late to the party.

lawblob said:
I am trying to limit myself to only a few levels per day, savor thr experience. Without revealing specifics, can someone tell me if the game gives incentive after you finish to keep playing, or to replay all the levels again?
Yes.

Up to SW5. I'm pretty sure at this point that this is my favorite 3D Mario. Just about everything here is platforming, little to no puzzle-ish sections and no pullstars, justlots of colorful floating platforms to navigate. There is a linearity here(and pulled in camera) that doesn't encourage pulling off as many crazy long-jumps as the Galaxy games let you do but the level design is just so much raw jumping I don't really mind it (especially when you get to S worlds). I like the NSMBW star coin/goal format as well. The game isn't as varied in content as Marios previous 3D outtings, but I feel it cuts out a lot of the non-platforming bits.

I can't help but feel the difficulty is overstated too, aside from the final level, I'm dying more here than I did in the Galaxy games. Sure you end up with tons of lives, but unlike past Mario games they are saved between sessions and new obstacles like stacked goombas oftentimes lead to easy 1ups (tanooki suits quick melee that doesn't make you pick up the coin separately also contributes to this).

Loving it, will probably take me a few more days to 100% it (hoping to do so before Skyward Sword but I've got a lot of school work to do these next few days).

Sinthetic

Nocturnowl said:
So apparently my order for this game was dispatched an hour ago, which is odd since i've just discovered that the game has in fact arrived, now that's fast delivery, must have used a warp pipe.

Same happened to me! ShopTo?

linko9

Electivirus said:
How can you tell if you've
beaten a stage with both Mario and Luigi?

Once you beat all the special stages, and then beat the final boss again, you'll be able to see an Icon next to the gold flag icon for each of them.

Sinthetic

chooch81 said:
Oh shit. Now I'm hoping mines at home!!!

Definitely will be buddy!

Played the 1st World, got all the Star Coins and Gold Flags. Really nice stuff so far, controls are a little weird, not used to having a run button (as has been said before). I'm still getting in the swing of things, I did manage to long jump my way through the entire end level of World 1 in around 50 seconds.

I'm having a little trouble with fiddly things like landing on the tip of the flag, but on the flip side, I'm finding it pretty fine to multiple jump on enemies etc...

Let's play on.

Sinthetic said:
Same happened to me! ShopTo?
Yeah, they've been on a roll this week, UMvC3 yesterday, Mario today so hopefully Zelda tommorow.

As for game impressions, i'm very impressed so far having just done world 1, this game seems to be heading down the glorious route of no filler which is something that generally hinders the 3D mario games. Control and speed seems fine despite all the fears people were having before the release.

artwalknoon said:
I had a 3D Land streetpass today with someone who actually has the game instead of just another 3ds owner. So here's the difference, when you streetpass someone who only has a 3ds you get toad's house and mystery boxes. When you streetpass someone who has the game also you get the same things plus their best time for each level. I streetpassed a mii named Jamila who just got the 3ds very recently probably with 3D Land. I beat her time in every level!

I love streetpass. Best feature on the 3DS.

Chorazin

Hahaha, this is exactly how you feel after you succumb to the temptation of the Block of Shame.

i-7nJ4QVq-L.jpg

Top Bottom