• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Chorazin

DoctorWho said:
I refuse to use the shiny leaf when it pops up.

Training wheels are for children.

I used it once for one of the World 8 levels that didn't have a lot of enemies, but a lot of jumps that I wanted a Tanooki Suit for and felt to lazy to go beat an earlier level again to get. Also, I figured I may as well see what it was like to use it.

No shame in my game!

Takao

Banned
I'm on World 7 right now, and will probably wrap the game up tonight depending on some things.

I'm not disappointed in the game, but it's not really impressing me either. I'm pretty meh on it.

Sinthetic

I have died 3 times in a row once, this ice block appears with changing powerups. Not liking that cause I don't like it when games belittle me. :p

Sinthetic said:
I have died 3 times in a row once, this ice block appears with changing powerups. Not liking that cause I don't like it when games belittle me. :p
Miyamoto mocking you from his own personal S&M dungeon.

Chorazin

Takao said:
I'm on World 7 right now, and will probably wrap the game up tonight depending on some things.

I'm not disappointed in the game, but it's not really impressing me either. I'm pretty meh on it.

Not sure if this is still a spoiler or not but
There are 8 more Special Worlds after you beat World 8.

Takao

Banned
Chorazin said:
Not sure if this is still a spoiler or not but
There are 8 more Special Worlds after you beat World 8.

How do you unlock those? Is it just a natural
completion of the original 8 worlds?

Andrex said:
KuGsj.gif
Shiny leaf is for babies. :p
Used one instead of backtracking just so that I can get a star coin that needed the Tanooki suit. Feels good, man.

zigg

What's this "shiny leaf" you are all talking about? (tee hee)

I'm getting all coins and gold flags and am in world S3 now, and I wouldn't say there's a drastic leap in difficulty from W8 to S1. If anything, it's a nice, smooth curve. I'm still rocking ~250 extra lives, too...

I think the shiny leaf is a great idea. Perfect for levels where you get screwed over by bad camera moves or frustrating boss design (staples of modern day Mario design problems.) You get the progress and can come back later to try without it if you want.

Roto13 said:
No. Not even close.

I guess you never played Sunshine or Galaxy then. Their midgame-endgame bosses had a lot of problems. Also thoroughly enjoyed in Sunshine how I'd fall through collision constantly. Good times

Yuterald

The tanooki suit does make the game waaay easier, but it's so hard NOT to use. I love having that extra hover in my jumps, but it's true, you can skip LARGE portions of like, every stage! There should have been a challenge/reward for not using the suit in a level. Maybe there should have been an icon that is placed on your world map screen next to the gold flag symbol for completing a stage without a powerup.

Roto13

Crazymoogle said:
I guess you never played Sunshine or Galaxy then. Their midgame-endgame bosses had a lot of problems. Also thoroughly enjoyed in Sunshine how I'd fall through collision constantly. Good times
I've played them to completion. Never had a problem with any of the bosses and the camera in Galaxy is held as a marvel in modern camera design.

Barrett2

zigg said:
What's this "shiny leaf" you are all talking about? (tee hee)

I'm getting all coins and gold flags and am in world S3 now, and I wouldn't say there's a drastic leap in difficulty from W8 to S1. If anything, it's a nice, smooth curve. I'm still rocking ~250 extra lives, too...

Say what!? Are you using a Game Genie? :p

TheExodu5

Banned
Takao said:

Yeah. I've played a few fun levels, but the game is so conservative and plays it far too safe. Most of the levels end up being very forgetable. The jumping physics are not making me like the game any more either.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still having fun, but it's not the quality I'd expect from a Mario game.

Even the soundtrack is boring. There are what, 2 original tracks in the game? (at least, that's what it seems like so far)

Downhome

One of my absolute favorite thins about this game and the 3D is the 3D effect when you are making tight jumps in levels that are up in the sky and you can see the ground far below. Oh man, it's incredible and breathtaking at moments.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
so you know how I complained about the controls having gone thorugh the first 3 levels?

Right after I made that post, they clicked, and i've been having ablast.

just got through world 4-4 ( I think it was 4-4.... it was a
ghost house
).

This game feels like NSMB and Super Mario Bros 3 had a 3D baby.

Tadale

I thought I was pretty good at Mario, but I guess not – I actually thought many of the stages between 5 and 8 were pretty difficult.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Why am I dying in 2-4 to get the 3 stars? Guess I need to take a break!
This game... It's Mario 2D done right :)

I'm really enjoying this game so far, and I'm not even to world 3 yet!

It does make me wish that Nintendo had waited to remake Super Mario 64 on this system instead of the 2DS. Don't get me wrong, I loved that game a lot (I didn't even mind the d-pad controls), but imagine Mario 64 with Mario 3D Land quality graphics. Maybe throw in some 3D land type levels ala Sunshine, and I would be in heaven!

Sinthetic

World 3 - 3/4 were absolutely stunning. You can definitely tell (from these special levels) that the team behind Galaxy made this.

I'm freakin' awesome as I knew I would be. Well, come on, I am the Master of Galaxy.

Also, 3-1 was really nice and open. I do appreciate the mix up between very short confined levels and the freshness you feel when you hit that "vast" playing field.

Zomba13

My copy came today (along with UMvC3) but I didn't open it until now because the package didn't have my name on it and I thought it was for someone else.

I've finished World 1 and am enjoying it so far. Really good use of 3D, easily the best I've played on the 3DS (my experience has been the included stuff, the pokédex, this, SF4 and pilot wings).

TheExodu5 said:
Even the soundtrack is boring. There are what, 2 original tracks in the game? (at least, that's what it seems like so far)
Way more than that, for sure. I don't know if all of these are new, but they sure sounded like it to me:

- At least four variations of the main theme (for example the one used at the title screen, the one in the first level, this one, and this amazing sort-of-spoiler one)
- The outdoor/indoor toad house theme remix
- The above water/below water theme
- The snowy level theme
- The desert level theme
- The beat block theme
- The castle theme
- All 8 worlds' map music
(and all 8 remixed)
- The oddly named attack theme, which I remember hearing but don't remember where it's from
- Bowser's theme and the final boss music

If any of these are from past games (aside from being remixes), feel free to disprove, like I said I'm not totally sure on all of them, but I think most are all new.

Orayn

What's really striking me about this game is just how quick and precise all the movement is - Rushing through a level to pick up a certain powerup or easily missed star coin is amazing and feels just like a 2D Mario game hybridized with Galaxy and polished to a mirror shine. It just feels really good.

I'm ready for Super Mario 3D Land 2: Six Golden Coins and Wario 3D Land, Nintendo.

So I think this might be my favorite Mario game ever...

Orayn said:
I'm ready for Super Mario 3D Land 2: Six Golden Coins and Wario 3D Land, Nintendo.
Absolutely. I would love to see this gameplay style infused into a game with world themes similar to the ones in SML2.

zigg

Jocchan said:

Haha, no, I haven't actually tried any of those yet. Just hopping on chains of those rainbow dudes, gold flags with bonuses, banging on coin banks like Takahashi Meijin, et cetera. And no level yet has really managed to kill me more than a handful of times.

I think the only reason I ever saw a game over in the Galaxy games was because I had to quit and come back and lose all the 1UPs I'd accumulated.

Top Bottom