• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

PSGames

Wow level 5-5 looks amazing with the spinning windmills in the far background. It really feels like you're suspended in air.

Obsessed said:
I prefer the second 3D mode, the one that provides more depth rather than popout effects.
Same here. It's annoying that I have to change back every time I play the game, though. (I like playing in bite-sized chunks, only 2 or 3 levels at a time.)

Boogiepop

13:49, and I've 100%'d the game, not counting the boxes.
S8-Crown is diabolical without a tanooki. I ALMOST had it once without it, got to the part with the falling blocks and the fire, and got to the VERY end of it before getting killed. I think I COULD do it if I brought something along in reserve to recover my health, as that part is cruel.
Seriously hope they make a sequel to this, as I'd love to see this game expanded upon.

TheExodu5 said:
I prefer the Down 3D mode visually, but it makes the ghosting so apparent that I have to use the Up mode instead.

Yeah the down mode has the downside of noticeable ghosting in some spots.

On
8-6
now and actually having some trouble. Most because I'm searching for those damn Star Coins.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
DoctorWho said:
I'd rather they just make a new game in the Super Mario 64 style.

This would probably be the best thing ever.

I'll be honest, I'm finding the 3D in this game to be some of the best I've ever seen on the system. It just fits and plays so well. My only gripe is the cloud levels - both 3D modes seem to have a hard time truly portraying adequate depth here. Otherwise, awesome.

I'm really sad the game plays so quick. I'm on World 5 after what feels like about 2.5-3 hours of gameplay. More would be VERY welcome.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Just started playing; for my money, this has some of the best, tightest control in a 3D platformer ever. The fixed camera system is used to great effect by the team; it's clear Galaxy experience paid off big time. In some ways, this is a more refined Mario game than Galaxy - but it's iterative, so that should be expected.

The music is a big surprise; after hearing complaints about "generic" music and all the media mostly showing off the new, original world 1-1 tune, there's a crapload of classic Mario music in the game and it's all done as well as Galaxy 2, at least.

As far as I can tell, this is unadulterated Mario joy.

Kai Dracon

nicoga3000 said:
I'm really sad the game plays so quick. I'm on World 5 after what feels like about 2.5-3 hours of gameplay. More would be VERY welcome.

I don't know if you're aware of the spoilers related to game content. There's more...

Just read the OP after pretty much reading nothing about the game, and the comments from those who have played it have instantly sold me on this game. Really insightful stuff. Gonna pick it up tomorrow after class. Damn, a new Zelda, and a new Mario in such a short amount of time. And a week vacation. Can't get better than that huh?

GrumpyAlien said:
Just read the OP after pretty much reading nothing about the game, and the comments from those who have played it have instantly sold me on this game. Really insightful stuff. Gonna pick it up tomorrow after class. Damn, a new Zelda, and a new Mario in such a short amount of time. And a week vacation. Can't get better than that huh?

Massive amounts of food next Thursday.

Berordn

Kaijima said:
The music is a big surprise; after hearing complaints about "generic" music and all the media mostly showing off the new, original world 1-1 tune, there's a crapload of classic Mario music in the game and it's all done as well as Galaxy 2, at least.
Yeah, this was really weird. I thought I'd be hearing that grating overworld theme the whole game, but there's so many different tracks and so many variations on them. And even when you do end up in a level with the theme, there's a bunch of dynamic midi effects going on. Whoever put those trailers together needs better taste.

Sinthetic

Mik, remember that time when I was chatting about "you should take your time"? ... Well, forget I said that, I've practically finished the 8 Worlds in one sitting. Let's hug it out.

Boogiepop

Anyone know how many of the Star Medals there are total in the game, including the ones from the Mystery Boxes? That's the only thing I still "need" to do in the game (finish the Mystery Boxes), but I have no idea how many there are.

rj118

My roommate and I started racing to beat W1-1 with the best time possible, we were both stuck at 36s for the longest time but I just got down to 33. Anyone have anything better? I'm thinking about recording mine if I can get it consistent enough.

Peru

rj118 said:
My roommate and I started racing to beat W1-1 with the best time possible, we were both stuck at 36s for the longest time but I just got down to 33. Anyone have anything better? I'm thinking about recording mine if I can get it consistent enough.

This is what I foresee in the long-time perspective for this game.. time trials, shaving seconds off. Part of the reason short tracks are good.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Mank said:
Anyone know how many of the Star Medals there are total in the game, including the ones from the Mystery Boxes? That's the only thing I still "need" to do in the game (finish the Mystery Boxes), but I have no idea how many there are.

I ended up with exactly 300 star medals.

Is it just me, or you can't return to old levels to pick up power ups and quit out?

Was a great feature of... mario world? Oh well, levels are short enough for the most part.

Sinthetic

I was thinking about this earlier, the Tanooki is definitely there (so often) as a makeshift spin attack for 3D Land, to allow you to correct your course.

Sinthetic said:
I was thinking about this earlier, the Tanooki is definitely there (so often) as a makeshift spin attack for 3D Land, to allow you to correct your course.
By that logic the spin attack is a makeshift FLUDD, the FLUDD is a makeshift cape, and the cape is a makeshift.... Racoon/Tanooki?

GrotesqueBeauty said:
By that logic the spin attack is a makeshift FLUDD, the FLUDD is a makeshift cape, and the cape is a makeshift.... Racoon/Tanooki?

I never understood why the Raccoon Tail existed separately from the Tanooki suit in Super Mario Bros.

AbsoluteZero said:
I never understood why the Raccoon Tail existed separately from the Tanooki suit in Super Mario Bros.
I don't understand why the normal raccoon suit isn't used for the first half of Super Mario 3D Land. And the reason the suits are generally separate is because the tanooki suit grants you an extra ability.

zigg

Sinthetic said:

I think it's both the lack of spin-jump (which is way more effective at scaling sheer surfaces) and the painfully short jump that end up leaving this game still a notch below Galaxy mechanics-wise. I don't mind how fast Mario moves at all, nor the method—in fact, I kind of like the run button as a toggle instead of trying to push a stick halfway—but those two things make Mario feel so much less athletic.

I eventually found the rhythm of this game, though, so it's all good.

AniHawk said:
i can't get over how simplistic the level design is. it's just so weird coming from nsmbw and smg2. i like some ideas, but they're not pushed that far. i think part of it is the removal of some of mario's moveset, or at least not requiring some of it. however, it is making the
second brother run
more interesting because i can essentially just speed run them.
I thought a lot of the latter levels were pretty ingenious but much like Galaxy and NSMB DS it took a little too long to get to the truly ingenious puzzles. I've pretty much agreed with you on all recent Mario games. However, I'd personally put this title above NSMB Wii but below SMG2.

Hopefully they do a sequel to this game. Add in Yoshi, More powerups(Cloud and Ice Mario please), adjust his acrobatic skills(Make Goombas and other small enemies vulnerable to the roll as well as adding a few other moves), expand on the hidden paths (perhaps making secret levels like in SMW), move the difficulty up a little bit (I think creatively and difficulty wise the game should've started at world 3 and moved on from there).

Sinthetic

zigg said:
I think it's both the lack of spin-jump (which is way more effective at scaling sheer surfaces) and the painfully short jump that end up leaving this game still a notch below Galaxy mechanics-wise. I don't mind how fast Mario moves at all, nor the method—in fact, I kind of like the run button as a toggle instead of trying to push a stick halfway—but those two things make Mario feel so much less athletic.

I'm with you zigg, I haven't felt a flow with this game like I did with Galaxy. The long jump just sort of falls flat (in what feels like mid jump) and I've got the onset of Arthritis hitting me due to how cramped my fingers are holding L, Y and B and alternating between them.

Hold Y, press L and then Y, then press B to pull off the roll/long jump. The run should have just started if you push the stick in far enough, no need for a run button at all.

Still love it though. ;)

Kai Dracon

zigg said:

This raises a good point about design that isn't always obvious.

Way back when Resident Evil 4 launched, there were some complaints about still using a run button when you had an analog stick. IIRC, one of the producers of the game did, in fact, address this. It was something like "we found when the fastest running speed was controlled by the analog stick, most players just pushed the stick all the way forward and ran all the time. This interrupted the pacing of the game."

I saw what he meant - that players should have been careful, and not ran forward into trip wires, aggro enemy mobs, etc. In some games, having a dash or run as a specific move can still be valuable to keep separate from analog movement speed.

The run button in this particular game doesn't feel like a kludge to me either. It seems appropriate and it's more comfortable on the slide pad to be able to push the pad all the way to the edge and hold it, and be able to navigate platforms precisely without overshooting your marks.

Kaijima said:
Just started playing; for my money, this has some of the best, tightest control in a 3D platformer ever. The fixed camera system is used to great effect by the team; it's clear Galaxy experience paid off big time. In some ways, this is a more refined Mario game than Galaxy - but it's iterative, so that should be expected.

As far as I can tell, this is unadulterated Mario joy.

Yeah, I hope the handheld nature of this does not slip it under people's radar, because this game is seriously golden. Mid-way through world 3 now and it's sheer brilliance and joy.

Where is the middle coin in 1-3?

Dammit I just started playing this game and after like 20 times of going through this level I still cannot find the coin.

edit: oh and this is some of the best music I've ever heard in a Mario game :)

Kai

Just wanted to chime in and say the Snow Level's music theme is awesome.

Working my way through S7 all Coins and Gold Flags for 1-8 and S1-S6 so far).

Karish

FUCKING LOVE THIS GAME.

Showed it to my GF last night. At first she was delighted, but then she got super frustrated with the fact that she had to hold it perfectly for the 3D to work. She ended up saying "I'm over it" and tossed the 3DS back to me.

Maybe this is why the 3DS isn't doing so well?

Just completed the last castle on World 8

Now that is a final boss battle! Music was superb.
Time to rescue Luigi mofos!
Trying to avoid the fireballs in the first sequence of the level was a pain in the ass cause I had no powerups, especially trying to get the third star coin. And I had the gold leaf box appear for a second time...>_<

Karish said:
FUCKING LOVE THIS GAME.

Showed it to my GF last night. At first she was delighted, but then she got super frustrated with the fact that she had to hold it perfectly for the 3D to work. She ended up saying "I'm over it" and tossed the 3DS back to me.

You should have shown her Mario's 3DS tour video. Then she would have known about tne 3D slider.

Karish said:
FUCKING LOVE THIS GAME.

Honestly it would have been far better to just not do 3D.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Karish said:
FUCKING LOVE THIS GAME.

Maybe.

However, I find the fact that you have to keep the thing perfectly still in front of you for the 3D to work goes completely contrary to the idea of the system being portable.

I tried to use this on the train ride to work. 3D is impossible in that environment.

That said, I'm stoked to be able to by an original Mario game for it. It will be the third game I've purchased, and I've had it since launch.

Worst console I've ever bought, by far.

Boogiepop

Oh yeah, what was with
Bowser running in the air at the end of the second to last castle in the "main" game?
Expected that to come up... somewhere, or at least re-occur in the final boss battle but... nope. Found it really odd.

Top Bottom