• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Eteric Rice said:
This game is just so fucking good. My god.

Curious, did Amir0x post a review on it yet? I'm curious to see what he thinks.
Leave him a rest, with all these Zelda and Mario reviews it's been a hard week for a motion control & 3D hater ;-)

Sinthetic

Do the Star Coins get harder to find in the
S Worlds
?

Too damn easy to find, I'm on the final boss and haven't struggled to find any.

Just got it yesterday, loving it so far. I'm having trouble pulling off long jumps though. Same with running, running seems a little awkward. Maybe it's just me. But I have a hard time running, hitting L, then jumping to do a long jump, especially when I don't have much room to work with.

Anyway, absolutely loving it, I think the "up" pop out 3D is the style for me. Game looks fantastic too.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Sinthetic said:
Do the Star Coins get harder to find in the
S Worlds
?

Too damn easy to find, I'm on the final boss and haven't struggled to find any.

In the
S Worlds
they're harder to 'get', because the level design can be pretty punishing. But not just as apparent for the most part.

Mrbob

Got my copy from Amazon yesterday, played it for about an hour last night, love it! I'm digging the quasi 3D/2D mode mix. I thought at first it would be tough to navigate but it really isn't.

Extremely impressed with the 3D effect as well. Especially when you are jumping from a height down the depth is impressive. The bright color scheme also minimizes the washed out look you normally get when switching to 3D mode. This is the first 3DS game I've played where I feel I need to keep the 3D mode on, as it adds to the experience. Very happy with the game, can't wait to dig in some more.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Completed the main game and
S World
, including all Star Coins, which added up to 294. Is there a finite amount of Star Coins you can receive from the Purple Blocks that appear? It seems as if some people finished with closer to 300, or more Star Coins.

Now I have to go back and clear all the stages
with Luigi
and grab a few of the gold flags I missed.

So this game is absolutely incredible.

Somehow they've managed to get new ideas and nostalgia in the same place. I'm only up to world 2-4 so far, and that level is kicking my ass; my high-risk, full-tilt, jump-first-and-ask-questions-later style of Mario play doesn't quite fit here like it does in the classic games or even the NSMB games.

...and I kind of love that.

I can't wait to see what other stuff they put in this game!

Dreweyes

Im looking for the song from 6-4, so awesome! Anyone know where I can get the mp3, by chance? Check out the level track if your playing 3D Land. :)

EvilMario said:
Completed the main game and
S World
, including all Star Coins, which added up to 294. Is there a finite amount of Star Coins you can receive from the Purple Blocks that appear? It seems as if some people finished with closer to 300, or more Star Coins.

Now I have to go back and clear all the stages
with Luigi
and grab a few of the gold flags I missed.

Considering the fact that you can get Star Coins via streetpass, I have to assume you can get up to 999 or some crazy number like that.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
This game is amazing.

I just finished
Special World 2
and I'm liking it a lot.

Streetpass is also cool considering
it tells you what other peoples best times are!
- Love that aspect.

teeny

This game, from what I have played, is incredible. I had a stupid grin on my face all through the first world, loved the throwback aspects to the castle / boss!

I saw someone mention you can change the 3D effect - where is the option to do that?

NEO0MJ

teeny said:
This game, from what I have played, is incredible. I had a stupid grin on my face all through the first world, loved the throwback aspects to the castle / boss!

I saw someone mention you can change the 3D effect - where is the option to do that?

Just press up or down on the D-pad.
Just finished the first world myself. Was I the only person who accidentally shook the 3DS out of habit when jumping at the first level?

teeny said:

there are two settings. up and down on the d-pad toggle them.

TheExodu5

Banned
hatchx said:
That is very strange.

Tell me TheExodu5, what are your thoughts on this game overall? I can't tell if you are nitpicking, or you just don't like the game?

For me, on world 11, it is becoming my favorite mario game yet. I feel as if every Mario game have merged their strengths to make this simple and beautiful Mario game.

My opinions are mixed. Am I nitpicking? Absolutely. With a series like Mario, I tend to be overly critical.

Am I enjoying the game? Absolutely. I'd say the first 4 worlds were boring, but inoffensive and still mostly fun. World 5-8 were more involving, imaginitive, and challenging, so I have been enjoying the game much more. World 8 in particular was fantastic. The special levels have been good so far as well.

I'd say the quality is just a little too inconsistent to consider this one of the greats, at this time. It feels a lot like NSMB DS in that regard (though I'd put it a step above that). NSMB Wii was absolutely fantastic, however, so I have hopes that Nintendo will improve upon the framework it has established with Super Mario 3D Land.

Barrett2

Playing more this morning, it hit me how good this game looks. Such a shame that there is so much lazy trash on the 3DS. 3DS games should have beautiful visuals and very solid 3D.

teeny

NEO0MJ said:
Just press up or down on the D-pad.
Just finished the first world myself. Was I the only person who accidentally shook the 3DS out of habit when jumping at the first level?

Thanks everyone, that makes sense :) Ill have a play after work.

And no. You werent the only one. I made my screen flop about and died as a result :(

For coins, I had 324 when I finished everything --- but I get a lot of street pass hits. I would assume there isn't an unlimited number, because often times I clear the short stage and receive an 'empty' coin. Wonder if some of the rooms are rare, and how many coins total there are?

I'm currently in the last world and was a few star coins short of opening what appears to be the final level. This is the first time I've even hit that barrier and it seemed like a good a time as any to go back to 1-1 and start collecting a few star coins that I skipped over.

Starting back at the beginning only further cemented my love for this game. I honestly don't get the hate for the early stages, even though they are simple they are still wonderfully designed and a blast to play through, at least for myself. I was actually surprised at how much fun I was having replaying the most simple levels in the game.

Pure gold, I tell you.

The
shadow world level where the disappearing blocks are in sync with the music
demonstrated just how OP the Tanooki suit is.

I tried beating it without the suit, and kept on failing. With the suit is was hardly even a challenge.

I'm definitely going to do a runthrough of the entire game without the suit.

Also is streetpass required to get enough star coins to "win" the game? Nobody on my fucking campus owns a 3DS (shocking I know).

Obsessed said:
The

I tried beating it without the suit, and kept on failing. With the suit is was hardly even a challenge.

Also is streetpass required to get enough star coins to "win" the game? Nobody on my fucking campus owns a 3DS (shocking I know).

Nah, shouldn't be required for opening any levels or anything :)

I think the main theme is starting to grow on me. I caught myself whistling it at work last night, and a customer pointed at me and said "Yeah, Mario, boyyyy!"

Quite a lulzy turn of events.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Obsessed said:
The

I enjoyed the
S World
quite a bit, but I do wish the no-damage runs from Super Mario Galaxy 2 were in there.

Roto13

Obsessed said:
The

Nah. The challenge boxes "respawn" and are often switched out for different boxes with new coins.

You will need a lot of star coins to unlock the last few levels, though.

QUESTION for those playing the game!:

Can you pick up koopa shells? Or kick them upwards like in the side-scrolling games?

That'd be pretty cool.

ConradCervantes said:
I think the main theme is starting to grow on me. I caught myself whistling it at work last night, and a customer pointed at me and said "Yeah, Mario, boyyyy!"

Quite a lulzy turn of events.
It's been playing in my head all day, even while I was reading your post!

TheExodu5

Banned
I love the main theme. It's a neat mishmash of existing Mario music, with a bit of a twist.

I'm liking the special levels way more than the main game right now. The game is 100% better to me right now. The main game was far too easy.

Sinthetic

3344rif.jpg

Am I weird for liking the inside cover better than the normal one?

Sinthetic

TheExodu5 said:
There's an inside cover!?

On the inside of the UK box, there are cut out squares with little icons popping through (like in the OoT and Starfox games)... I looked inside and it's an entire cover made up of those outlines! Hahaha.

30colrl.jpg

Roto13 said:
Nah. The challenge boxes "respawn" and are often switched out for different boxes with new coins.

You will need a lot of star coins to unlock the last few levels, though.

So far I've collected every last one of them. I'm on S4-1 so far.

RagnarokX

PounchEnvy said:
But you could do that in Mario 1... Besides, continues are an archaic holdover from coin-operated arcade games that serve no real purpose anymore. If you lose all of your lives, what happens? You have to do the level/world over instead of starting from the midpoint and do the stuff that didn't challenge you enough to kill you over again. Challenge comes from skillful platforming and overcoming obstacles, not having to restart from further back due to an arbitrary life count.

Cartman86

Banned
Dislike 3D because I can no longer really see it very well (used to as a kid) and it gives me head aches. I'm forcing myself to play with it maxed out though because I can actually see this 3D fairly well (especially the depth into the screen). Really surprised at how much i'm enjoying the look of the game with the 3D.

RagnarokX said:
But you could do that in Mario 1... Besides, continues are an archaic holdover from coin-operated arcade games that serve no real purpose anymore. If you lose all of your lives, what happens? You have to do the level/world over instead of starting from the midpoint and do the stuff that didn't challenge you enough to kill you over again. Challenge comes from skillful platforming and overcoming obstacles, not having to restart from further back due to an arbitrary life count.

Which is probably why they give out extra lives like candy. They use the life system for traditional reasons, but don't actually want it to ever interfere with the game.

marc^o^

Without doubt it's one of the top 5 portable game I have ever played.
Also, it's now my favorite Mario.

Just got the game! Sooo awesome! :D

What does that extra 3D option in the game do, make it more 3D?

Also, I'm still having issues holding my 3DS right lol, its my first 3D game

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Cartman86 said:
Dislike 3D because I can no longer really see it very well (used to as a kid) and it gives me head aches. I'm forcing myself to play with it maxed out though because I can actually see this 3D fairly well (especially the depth into the screen). Really surprised at how much i'm enjoying the look of the game with the 3D.

The game is specifically designed to emphasize the 3D as much as possible. I believe it's a combination of the specific camera angles and background elements, combined with the locked camera.

Basically, the game is always showing you an extreme, forced perspective with Mario usually centered in the middle so your eyes are locked to the center of the screen.

It's cunning, really. It's all artfully arranged so that there are huge, obvious landmarks that create great depth perception. And the locked perspective allows the levels to be designed so that 3D really DOES help navigation when it's on. The sense of depth is extreme in this game.

I suspect Mario Kart is gonna benefit from much the same, since you'll always be looking at your cart centered on screen (if shifted down center just a bit), and the forward scrolling tracks are, of course, a classic case of forced perspective.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
HammerOfThor said:
Just got the game! Sooo awesome! :D

What does that extra 3D option in the game do, make it more 3D?

Also, I'm still having issues holding my 3DS right lol, its my first 3D game

The extruded 3D option (the top one) pulls Mario to the "picture plane" - the actual surface of the screen. The backgrounds don't pull into depth as much, and objects that pop out of the screen come forward more noticeably.

The lower 3D option sinks Mario and the background deep into the screen. Essentially, it's a matter of personal comfort whether it's easier to focus on your character in one mode, or the other. It's an interesting twist though and no 3DS game has tried it before.

thecouncil said:
QUESTION for those playing the game!:

Can you pick up koopa shells? Or kick them upwards like in the side-scrolling games?

That'd be pretty cool.
You can kick them.

Edit: Oh I think you meant straight up in the air? Nah. You can kick them upwards since it is 3d :).

TheExodu5

Banned
Think of the bottom 3D option as having a window into the world.

Personally, I like one option in some levels, and the other option in other levels. For example, the level in World 8 where you're on the track felt really weird with the pop-out option, and felt much more natural with the window option.

marc^o^

I prefer the top view.

It's good to see a Nintendo game built specifically for 3DS. The game is gorgeous, unique, unlike anything on iPhone or iPad for people who like to compare. If upcoming 3DS games look close to this, 3D will be a key factor of success in the lifespan of the console.

In 2 weeks we will see how Mario Kart look with its 60fps framerate, it should be another landmark :)

Top Bottom