• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Kai

Roto13 said:
People sometimes play their handhelds without being in motion.

Roto this has been bothering me - who is that in your avatar? It looks exactly like a friend of mine (unless that's you and I didn't know you posted on here haha).

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
FlyinJ said:
Maybe.

However, I find the fact that you have to keep the thing perfectly still in front of you for the 3D to work goes completely contrary to the idea of the system being portable.

I tried to use this on the train ride to work. 3D is impossible in that environment.

That said, I'm stoked to be able to by an original Mario game for it. It will be the third game I've purchased, and I've had it since launch.

Worst console I've ever bought, by far.
I play on the train every day with full 3D, we must have better trains in France :)

Roto13

Kai said:
Roto this has been bothering me - who is that in your avatar? It looks exactly like a friend of mine (unless that's you and I didn't know you posted on here haha).
It's Hideki Kamiya (director of Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, etc) all prettied up. :p

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Kotaku likes Mario Land. How much? Link.
Super Mario 3D Land is the first 3DS game that makes me want to pick it up and play it over all of the other console gaming options I have right now. It may be the only handheld game to do that for me.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
marc^o^ said:
I play on the train every day with full 3D, we must have better trains in France :)

Yes, you certainly do.

I should clarify- US commuter train, Caltrain specifically. It's ridiculously bouncy and loud.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
FlyinJ said:
Yes, you certainly do.

I should clarify- US commuter train, Caltrain specifically. It's ridiculously bouncy and loud.
That sucks, but clearly the 3DS isn't at fault here.

TheExodu5

Banned
How do I know the controls in this game are flawed? Imagine Mario is on a one tile block. How do you jump as high/far as possible off that block? By running and jumping straight ahead? No. You'll barely get any distance because you didn't run enough prior to your jump. You have to run in a circle and then jump. That's not good design, in my opinion.

The game should allow you do jump the full distance from the second you start running. Making the player jump only half the distance because he ran 0.5 seconds instead of 1 second is not good design (again, in my opinion). It results in sluggish controls and makes Mario's jumping ability hard to predict, as it varies wildly during the first second of his run.

Super Mario World had the perfect approach, in my eyes. Mario could jump nearly his full distance off the bat. The only boost to his jumping ability came when he clearly (I say clearly because it was obvious when it triggered) was running at his fastest speed.

Anyways, world 8 is a massive improvement over the rest of the game so far. World 1-4 were like an extended World 1 to me. Boring, unimaginitive, and unchallenging. World 5 had a few standouts, as did World 7, and World 8 has been a hit every level so far.

Tuck

Roto13 said:
Super Mario 64 really needs a remake. It's such a great game with such a terrible, terrible camera.

Played through it recently. Got all 120 stars. Camera wasn't really an issue. It could have been better, but for me, a remake would be for better graphics, not a better camera, mainly.

That said, I'd much prefer a new game. I feel like we might get one for the Wii U launch, or close to it. They pumped out Galaxy 2 pretty damn quick.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
TheExodu5 said:
How do I know the controls in this game are flawed? Imagine Mario is on a one tile block. How do you jump as high/far as possible off that block? By running and jumping straight ahead? No. You'll barely get any distance because you didn't run enough prior to your jump. You have to run in a circle and then jump. That's not good design, in my opinion.

The game should allow you do jump the full distance from the second you start running. Making the player jump only half the distance because he ran 0.5 seconds instead of 1 second is not good design (again, in my opinion). It results in sluggish controls and makes Mario's jumping ability hard to predict, as it varies wildly during the first second of his run.

Super Mario World had the perfect approach, in my eyes. Mario could jump nearly his full distance off the bat. The only boost to his jumping ability came when he clearly (I say clearly because it was obvious when it triggered) was running at his fastest speed.

Anyways, world 8 is a massive improvement over the rest of the game so far. World 1-4 were like an extended World 1 to me. Boring, unimaginitive, and unchallenging. World 5 had a few standouts, as did World 7, and World 8 has been a hit every level so far.

Something to consider is that unlike say, the Sonic series, Mario has never established one "true" control paradigm then attempted (with varying degrees of failure) to make every subsequent game in the franchise mirror that, even when changing formats - such as 2D to 3D.

Super Mario 1 and 3 and World are all very different from one another, as is New Super Mario Bros from any of those - though NSMB owes the most to the physics of SMB1.

I remember this coming up when New Super Mario Bros Wii hit, because so many people hated the controls and thought they were wrong. Mario in 3D Land seems to follow the pattern of original SMB1 and NSMB, not the 3D games, and that may throw people off. He's got that acceleration factor, as far as I can tell.

I'm not sure if I can say that's good, or bad; it's just different, as every Mario game has been different from one another.

Thoraxes

Reluctant-Hero said:
So, these SM3DL street passes, are you unlocking mystery boxes by street passing with any 3DS owner? Or do the unlocks cone from SM3DL owners?
I'm actually not sure. Each hit (there were 2) unlocked both a mystery box and a present in the Toad house, so one of each from each person.

Also in my notifications center, it specifically showed SM3DL being 2/3 full. These are just random people I get hits from when i'm on my commute though, so I never actually have met them. I'm assuming they probably had the game... I think.

Also since we're talking about trains, in Chicago I ride the "L" 4 days a week and I play it perfectly fine with the 3D on, no hassles, no nothing; just a smooth ride and gameplay experience.

So I played a quick demo at my local Best Buy. I was incredibly skeptical after first seeing the videos a few months ago. I thought this was going to turn into a disaster....until I played it tonight. Man, it's good. While I won't get a 3DS, Mario 3D Land turned out to be quite a nice surprise. I honesty wish I could borrow someone's 3DS just to play through the whole thing. The 3D effect work very well.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
3 sparkling stars.

The first two appeared after
beating level 8's castle with Mario -- possibly after getting Luigi as well

The THIRD just appeared after
I beated Special 8 Castle, then replayed the "new ! mark" W-8 final castle. New credits sequence.
This ALSO unlocked
both pictures #10 and 12, possibly due to my using Luigi to beat the S and normal castles
and I now have M and L indicators on my upper progress screen.

Kai

Beat the game with Mario (all levels and all golden flags - both normal and special worlds).

So do I have to beat the whole game with Luigi and get all the coins and flags with him? Seems odd because if you switch to Luigi it still shows each world as having all the Golden Flags and Coins.....

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Kai said:
So do I have to beat the whole game with Luigi and get all the coins and flags with him? Seems odd because if you switch to Luigi it still shows each world as having all the Golden Flags and Coins.....

Gold Flags and Star Coins are permanent/shared. You don't need to get them again.

It does seem as though you'll need to simply BEAT every level with both of the brothers, though.

Berordn

Just reach the flagpole to get the clear credit for Luigi. You don't have to grab the top of the flagpole or coins a second time.

Are some gold flags easier to get with Luigi? Does he have a different jump/run?

Also one of these days I'm going to do a semi-hardcore no powerups run.

Also what are the 5 Golden Star achievements?

Beat the game with mario, beat the game with luigi, get all gold coins, get all gold flags, ???

So this game is really clicking with me now. I had reservations at first since it took a bit for me to get used to the level design and the controls. The eight-way "analog" control with no octagonals felt weird at first, but now that I got used to it, I feel like I'm back to my previous 3D Mario skills.

Definitely having fun and there's a lot of very creative levels. This is also the first game where I'm leaving the 3D on the whole time. Fantastic game that is doing a great job of washing the bad taste of the last game I bought out of my mouth. Good ol' Mario. Can always count on him.

Up to World 6, btw.

Stuneseht

Obsessed said:
Are some gold flags easier to get with Luigi? Does he have a different jump/run?

Also one of these days I'm going to do a semi-hardcore no powerups run.

Also what are the 5 Golden Star achievements?

Beat the game with mario, beat the game with luigi, get all gold coins, get all gold flags, ???

Yes, gold flags are definitely easier with Luigi. Luigi has less traction & jumps higher.

Javier

I got S6-4 on my first try with no Tanooki, and still got the 3 Star Medals and the Gold Flag post.

No idea how I did that.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I haven't figured out why so many people can't figure out the 3D. I walk around with mine, lay in bed, play while my friend drives. On the train, etc. my brother had the hardest time ever getting the 3D to focus for him. Are some people just more "able" to focus and see the 3D?

Oh, and I sometimes wish there were no time limit on a given level. I like just wandering around the more open levels and exploring and taking it in, ha.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Obsessed said:
Why did you spoiler tag this? You didn't answer the bit I spoiler tagged ?_?

Well, I think
Luigi
might be a bit of a spoiler for some people, even if it's pretty common knowledge.

hatchx

Banned
TheExodu5 said:

I disagree. I think the momentum needed adds a lot to the gameplay. Makes it more real. Something about the instant long jumps of Galaxy 1/2 felt too forgiving.

In real life, to perform a running long jump....it involves running.

crustikid

so when i'm at work reading text, or in excel doing spreadsheets, the words and numbers seem to come in and out of the screen. the screen is not 3d.

Just wanted to say I'm taking my time and really enjoying this amazing game. I'm now on World 5 and even though
the game is still somewhat easy since I haven't unlocked the second quest, that's more than made up by the fact that
the level design is fantastic and makes each stage an absolute joy to play. One thing I love doing on some levels is experimenting with seeing how far I can drift with the Tanooki suit. ex: "Hey, I wonder if I climb up here if I can drift to that platform waaaaaay over there? tries it Oh sweet, I can!"

One more thing, is it not possible to beat Tanooki Bowser (or Bowser in general) with the Fire Flower in this game? I went back to that level last night with fireballs and they didn't seem to have any effect at all. Was bummed about this because they work on Boom Boom.

Thoraxes

Man level
5-2
was my first awesome 3D pop out experience. When Mario jumped up at me, I felt like he was really coming at me, and it scared me for a second. Soooooo goood. That view is just amazing and the 3D in that level is just superb.

TheExodu5 said:

I see what you're saying. I disagree/ it doesn't really bother me about what you mentioned but I do agree that there needs to be a better indication when Mario is running at full speed.

TheExodu5

Banned
hatchx said:
I disagree. I think the momentum needed adds a lot to the gameplay. Makes it more real. Something about the instant long jumps of Galaxy 1/2 felt too forgiving.

In real life, to perform a running long jump....it involves running.

This isn't real life.

Anyways, I'm mostly complaining about the fact that it's not entirely predictable.

You know what's funny? Luigi doesn't have that problem. He has a visual and sound cue when he reaches his full speed. Mario should have this. I have no idea why he doesn't.

Wait...he does. The heck? I swear to god he didn't have it until now.

edit: that's weird...it doesn't activate all the time. If you jump early and then just run, the cue never activates.

crustikid said:
so when i'm at work reading text, or in excel doing spreadsheets, the words and numbers seem to come in and out of the screen. the screen is not 3d.
This has been happening to me too, but it goes away within an hour. Was this overnight?

crustikid

MvmntInGrn said:
This has been happening to me too, but it goes away within an hour. Was this overnight?

Since I got my 3DS. Noticed it a little the night after I played OoT. Some text seems to pop out, and some in...overall it seems to be a floating effect. I feel like it's a brain thing, maybe after the no glasses 3D on the 3DS, your brain keeps sending the wrong messages.

Ashodin

Best Mario I've played since Galaxy.

Actually enjoy the smaller levels - bite sized mario chunks I can devour at any craving, instead of huge meat portions that take ungodly long to progress and finish through.

This is Mario as was meant to be.

hatchx

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
This isn't real life.

Anyways, I'm mostly complaining about the fact that it's not entirely predictable.

You know what's funny? Luigi doesn't have that problem. He has a visual and sound cue when he reaches his full speed. Mario should have this. I have no idea why he doesn't.

Wait...he does. The heck? I swear to god he didn't have it until now.

edit: that's weird...it doesn't activate all the time. If you jump early and then just run, the cue never activates.

That is very strange.

Tell me TheExodu5, what are your thoughts on this game overall? I can't tell if you are nitpicking, or you just don't like the game?

For me, on world 11, it is becoming my favorite mario game yet. I feel as if every Mario game have merged their strengths to make this simple and beautiful Mario game.

are the requirements for the last stage correct? on gamefaqs, and posted in this thread, I see

Final level Get 5 stars on your file

star 1 Defeat bowser in world 8's final level
star 2 Beat every level as Mario
star 3 Beat every level as Luigi
star 4 Collect the gold flag on every level
star 5 Collect all star coins

I have four stars right now, but I didn't beat every level with mario or luigi. I beat every regular level with mario, plus special world 1. every other special level with luigi + the last regular level. I have all coins but not all flags.

so, if all I gotta do is get gold flags on the few levels, I might as well go for it. it's not as bad as people said.

Top Bottom