• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Amalthea

Banned
I didn't realize until the post-game that you can change the way the depth is displayed (up or down on the d-pad).

The pop-up mode sure is nicer but the pop-in is more helpful for depth perception.

Metal-Geo

I didn't realize until the post-game that you can change the way the depth is displayed (up or down on the d-pad).

The pop-up mode sure is nicer but the pop-in is more helpful for depth perception.
Aye. Took me 3 days to find this out as well. (Yes, I never read manuals! :D)

Pop-up mode gives me headaches at times. Like when a goomba tower passes the camera. Good lord that hurt me good. Pop-in mode is perfect for me. And I hate myself for not knowing this earlier!

My only complaint is that the controls lack a certain precision that I've come to expect after Galaxy. If they can perfect this, and add online co-op and level creation, Super Mario Universe will be game of the forever.

After playing this (and Galaxy too) I'm thinking the Wii U Mario is going to be a huge letdown. Especially if it has themed worlds, and especially if it has the same 8 worlds as NSMB Wii and DS.

branny

The Tanooki suit is overpowered though.
"It's fun, so it's okay!"

I have issues with the momentum of Mario. I find it hard to know when he has enough speed to jump a reasonable distance. It's kinda hard to tell.
Have you tried practicing the different jumps on regular ground? The roll jump (not the long jump) is probably the most useful for larger distances. You can also roll cancel with a regular jump to prevent falling off ledges. This game seems to emphasize special kinds of maneuvering (including tanooki float) more than sprinting long enough to clear gaps with regular jumps. And like with 2D Mario, you will be holding the run button down most of the time, letting go only when you need to slow down, adjust something, or attack/roll jump.

My only complaint is that the controls lack a certain precision that I've come to expect after Galaxy. If they can perfect this, and add online co-op and level creation, Super Mario Universe will be game of the forever.
Really? That's bizarre because I have the complete opposite opinion. Mario feels "just right" to me in this game. Now, I've only played the original Galaxy, so I don't know what Galaxy 2 may have improved upon, but Mario felt extremely weird to me in the original. Maybe too floaty? Not enough inertia? The way he interacted with the world? I'm not sure.

I mainly found myself struggling with the camera as it tried its hardest to cope with the constantly shifting planetary/stage orientation. Its auto-correct was pretty fussy from my experience, and repeatedly, manually centering the camera behind Mario (if it even would let me) didn't quite make for a seamless, precise experience. That sort of fundamental nuisance severely hampers things for me--it's practically the same as a button that would only work 80% of the time. It is the reason why I strongly dislike finicky motion controls.

Pushing the analog stick a certain distance to walk or run is great, but using a run button feels fine, too. It comes naturally to me; it's snappy and familiar. Beyond what I've mentioned, nothing between the two games jumps out at me as hugely different, like Mario's ability to turn around quickly or steer while he's in the air. The only thing that I could see making 3D Land feel "less precise" in comparison would be the lack of Mario's waggle spin that afforded extra fine tuning for jump correction in Galaxy... You could do some pretty neat tricks with it, too, but there's not exactly anything fundamentally broken or off about 3D Land's controls without it. I'd much rather sacrifice that in order to avoid having camera problems again. I don't think I could take another 3D Mario with Galaxy's swimming or flying cap, especially if there's no right analog stick support. =\

so I got called from work this morning "you berk, there's a package for you from amazon. We opened it, it's Mario. We're gonna play hide and seek, you won't find it until Christmas"

now tell me I don't have to go all Breaking Bad on those so called colleagues

so I got called from work this morning "you berk, there's a package for you from amazon. We opened it, it's Mario. We're gonna play hide and seek, you won't find it until Christmas"

now tell me I don't have to go all Breaking Bad on those so called colleagues

Just think Christmas is only a month away.

Just got this game for my birthday on Saturday, finally sat down to play it a little and two hours later I'm on World 4 wondering where the hell the time went. This game is fucking fantastic.

UberTag

Special 8-3 is royally kicking my ass right now.
Not liking these time-limit castle runs with Cosmic Mario riding my ass.

Question (from a Nintendo dunce) -- If I play this before SMG 1 & 2, would my enjoyment of these games be compromised?

Hmm. You may lose the story if you start with Super Mario 3D Land. Maybe you should watch the story cutscenes from SMG 1 & 2 so that you're not lost. Mario has a very complicated continuity.

Got an early bird version thanks to Gametraders today! :D (for Aust. anyway)

Gotta say, impressed. The graphics are beautiful and look like something straight from Galaxy but in your pocket, the 3D is great though turn it on and off depending on the level, the level length harks back to the days of old so it's refreshing and quite brilliant for traveling on the train/bus. The logic of the levels get from point A-B could not be more simple and could not be more perfect.

Oh yeah, and the return of the Tanooki suit is friggin awesome.

Edit: A great addition to the series for next game would be the return of the Metal cap/suit. Make Mario invulnerable to attacks with it so he just gets pushed around and off edges (and with the ability to break thwomps sitting underneath them!) plus it'd make the platforming parts harder... ahhh well.

haha. nice. I wasn't concerned about the story, mon ami. I was questioning whether they have similar gameplay.

Gameplay is quite different IMO. There are elements of SMG that pop up once in a while but Super Mario 3D Land feels like an entirely new Mario experience, yet retains all the "classic" mechanics that make a Mario game great.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
quick 3DS question - A friend bought an expanded capacity battery from ebay (2000mAH). Does the 3DS lose all settings when replacing the battery, or do I have some leeway to swap them over?

Berordn

Just volatile stuff like the time and date, if you're not fast enough. Everything else is saved on the SD card and onboard memory.

Chorazin

quick 3DS question - A friend bought an expanded capacity battery from ebay (2000mAH). Does the 3DS lose all settings when replacing the battery, or do I have some leeway to swap them over?

2000mAH isn't much of an expansion, isn't the one in the 3DS like 1750?

Anyways, you'll need to reset the time and date, but all your other settings are saved in memory.

TheExodu5

Banned
I have issues with the momentum of Mario. I find it hard to know when he has enough speed to jump a reasonable distance. It's kinda hard to tell.

I'm on the special worlds now but it hasn't been a massive problem yet.

Yeah, I've complained about this quite a bit.

I've noticed that there is a cue (there's a slight flash of dust and a whoosh sound) for when Mario reaches full speed, but it often trigger if you start by running and jumping.

Got the game couple of days ago, played 4:30 hours, up to middle of World 7.

It's such an amazing feeling when you have built up insane amounts of excitement and expectations for a game and it lives up to or exceeds them.

A top-tier, handheld Mario game in gorgeous 3D. I can't ask for more. My only complaint so far is the lack of option to switch the Dash and Jump buttons. I wish I could run with Y/B and jump with X/A, would have made it much more comfortable for me. And I can't excuse Nintendo for it as it would only take 2 lines of code to add the option.

I was initially confused about the switchable 3D views, I didn't know what each meant but kinda figured out that one is more of a "pop-out" 3D and the other exagerrates the depth. I find the former much, much more natural and pleasing to look at.

Boken

Banned
Fuck I give in. I'm buying this even though I suck at Mario games.

I hate you guys.

EDIT: Not to mention Skyrim, Zelda, MK7 on the plate. GRAAH you guys and your glowing impressions.

judging the game based on clearing world 1-8 is kinda silly. it means you haven't even seen half the content.

For sure. I just got to the second half of the game and the levels have been an improvement over the first set. Not that I had a problem with them. Game is awesome.

Sinthetic

Done, 5 sparkly Stars.

Eight Crown without Tanooki was REALLY hard, but I did it. As you should all know by now, I'm a guru at doing the stuff 95% of people can't.

depward

This game is so damn good. It plays so incredibly well. Bright & beautiful, too. Yeah it's been pretty much a cakewalk so far (end of World
8 and I know I have more in store
) so I'm very much happy with the game. If it continues to hold up, could very much be my GOTY.

Kamek

Is there a way to tell if you've gotten the gold flag in the level or do I have to individually replay every level and keep track manually?

[Nintex];32856808 said:
This reminds me of 2007 actually a ton of games had 'best game ever' written all over them and then Super Mario Galaxy came out and everything else felt like poop.

I'm just completely satisfied with Mario in every way. I'm sure it's not many people's GOTY (it's in my top 3 but not number one) but I just can't fault all that much about it. It feels unique and traditional all at once.

zigg

I see it, thanks! :D What about
if you've beaten the level with Mario or Luigi
?
Once you clear S8-castle, you'll be in front of W8-castle again; beat it a second time (you can guess how) and you will gain those magical indicators.

PKrockin

Geez, some guys around here had me worried when they claimed Mario had eight-direction control like it says in the OP. Turns out I can easily move Mario in any direction, there's just a little bit of deadzone on each 45-degree so it's easier to move "perfectly" left/right, etc. Makes me wonder why they don't claim Galaxy has eight-direction control too because of the notches on the stick.

My only complaint is that the first boss was lame. Seems like a great game for the short while I've played it so far.

jarosh

i have almost every last star coin in the game, but for the life of me can still not find the last one in 3-4, despite re-playing it like 6 times. any help?

Struct09

This game is fantastic, definitely my favorite portable Mario game ever released. I cleared the first "half" this last weekend and started on the second half, and am still just as enamored as I was when I started playing. In my top 10 of all games this year.

And all that while I'm playing a new Zelda. Damn it feels good to have good first party Nintendo games to play.

Tuck

Played bit a bit today after a bad physics quiz. Put a smile on my face.

Unfortunately, have a bit of eye strain - not while playing, only after. Does that go away after I get used to the 3DS? Hopefully. Cause I'm playing Mario either way, damn my eyes.

This game is so much fun, the graphics are beautiful and the gameplay works really well. I just finished my first play through and have only two more star coins to pick up. Once that's done, I can get started on the new stuff.

Top Bottom