• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Wait, wait, Golden Flags? What are the Golden Flags?

So each level has:

3 Star Coins
Golden Flag
5-Death Cap

Right? Or are there MORE secrets? :O

Just finished it and think I've just played my favourite 3D Mario game. Absolutely brilliant from start to finish with some great 3D effects. Didn't get as hard as I had read, but it was definitely a bit challenging towards the end. To think that in a couple of weeks I'll be playing another poential 3DS GOTY contender in Mario Kart! <3

JeTmAn81

Got this yesterday, only on World 2 but loving it so far. The 3D effects are excellent, the art style is wonderful (as per usual for Mario), and I really like how bite-sized the levels are, makes it easy to finish one off in a few minutes. If it's this good early on, I'm sure it'll be amazing later because Mario games always ramp things up as you go along.

krae_man

I think I've encountered a glitch.

In W8-1, I jumped up to hit a question box and got stuck inside it. I can move around with just Mario's legs showing inside the box. And as I move, I get coins.

I just had this happen and the game froze on me shortly after.

Chorazin

An hour and a half ago I got to the end of S8-Crown and rode the platform. I got so excited, after an hour tonight I made it!

Then I accidentally pressed the jump button and fell off the edge.

I'm still trying to get back there, I feel like the stupidest person alive, and I want to throw my 3DS against the wall. I'm just gonna quit for the night and try again tomorrow.

Sinthetic

An hour and a half ago I got to the end of S8-Crown and rode the platform. I got so excited, after an hour tonight I made it!

Then I accidentally pressed the jump button and fell off the edge.

I'm still trying to get back there, I feel like the stupidest person alive, and I want to throw my 3DS against the wall. I'm just gonna quit for the night and try again tomorrow.

It really is a pain in the ass. I did the exact same thing as you, but I kept trying, I almost battered my 3DS against the window.

Still, I did it with the Tanooki and without. Looking back at World 8, both times, it is a cake walk compared to Crown.

Who managed to find the warp pipes? I didn't find a single one, and when I saw a video of the one is 1-2 I was pretty amazed anyone managed to find it on their own. Couldn't find any video of any others and if they're all that well hidden I'm pretty much never going to stumble onto them. Anyone who found some want to share?

Who managed to find the warp pipes? I didn't find a single one, and when I saw a video of the one is 1-2 I was pretty amazed anyone managed to find it on their own. Couldn't find any video of any others and if they're all that well hidden I'm pretty much never going to stumble onto them. Anyone who found some want to share?

Oh this excites me! I pride myself on Mario skillz and love nothing more than knowing there is a secret (or collectable) I'm missing in any level, it doesn't take long afterwards before I find it.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

Oh this excites me! I pride myself on Mario skillz and love nothing more than knowing there is a secret (or collectable) I'm missing in any level, it doesn't take long afterwards before I find it.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

The one in 1-2 is actually kind of revealed in a way in its later remix, so that one shouldn't be too hard. Good luck on the others though!

Once I heard they existed I tried to keep an eye out for them. I can't remember which level it was, think it might be a water level, but there's a level where a flying block flies away from you at the end. I thought for sure catching up to it and getting on top of it would take me to a warp pipe because once it gets near the flag it just takes off, especially since there's moving blocks that let you get to the top of the flag so that's not why the block is there, but no dice.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
VICTORY!!

Just beat
S8-Crown
. It took me almost 30 lives, but I got through. And no Tanooki Suit bullshit either. It wasn't really that bad except for the second section. There is some tricky platforming there, especially
having to bounce off Goombas and one Toad to maintain forward momentum in order to clear a long jump

All I have do now is
beat the level as Luigi
, and I will have 100% the game. After that, I'll work on time trials.

As a final impression, this is easily the best original handheld Mario game and deserves to rest among the top tier Mario games.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
The last star is for finishing the levels
with Luigi

No, it isn't -- that's one of the few things I'm sure of. There are MULTIPLE requirements for the final star --
these include All Gold Flags, All Star Coins, and all levels with Mario and Luigi

I checked this by copying my save which had 3 incomplete levels -- one
beaten only by Luigi
, one
with 2/3 star coins
, and one
without a Gold Flag

Finishing the Star Coin collection (all the standard levels and some other total requirement?) grants one star.

Completing BOTH of the second objectives (and the Star Coins) results in the final star.

I think the confusion is coming as at least one (or more) save file stars require -multiple- objectives to be complete, and folks are assuming the last objective they completed is the trigger...

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Somewhere in world 6.

Seems like a pretty big step backwards from Galaxy, but I guess that isn't a fair comparison, portable hardware and all that.

Still, I'm constantly flying off ledges and miscalculating jumps. I dont think its the 3D, its either the physics or the analog nub.

I just dont have the kind of precision over Mario I need to get completely sucked into the game.

Socreges

Banned
Warp pipes? :eek:

And no more than 5 deaths in each level in order to 100%? I've definitely already exceeded 5 deaths in a couple when trying to get some tough star coins. Pretty shitty, if true.

Warp pipes? :eek:

And no more than 5 deaths in each level in order to 100%? I've definitely already exceeded 5 deaths in a couple when trying to get some tough star coins. Pretty shitty, if true.

It's not to hundred percent the game. There's a few things you do in the game that earn you stars that show up on your file on the select screen. If you beat the first 8 worlds without dying more than 5 times on a given stage, those stars will be shiny. If you do die more than 5 times, they're just silver.

That's the only difference, it's purely cosmetic and you can still 100% the game if you die more than 5 times on a level.

Note that it's not technically "Die 5 times," it's "Receive a helping item." So maybe someone else can confirm because I don't know for sure, but I think you only get a helping item if you die 5 times on a level consecutively. I think if you die 4 times on a level, exit to course select, beat another level, and then go back to the first level you get another 5 tries before getting the invincible Tanooki leaf. I could be wrong though.

I'm also pretty sure that once you earn the shiny stars they can't be taken away, so if for whatever reason you really want them you might want to just beat the first 8 worlds and then go back for the trickier star coins later just to be safe.

Kyzer

Banned
I really dont think the game is THAT easy...well yeah maybe. But Im an advanced Mario player. I would think most of us here are.

Kinda wish I knew about the 5 Deaths thing before I got to World 7... I actually refuse to grab the helping item when it shows up (too proud/take it as in insult, lol).

Still, existing a course after reaching the checkpoint and starting over after 4 deaths would have been annoying. Maybe it will encourage me to do a second playthrough.

If I stopped the mainline Mario games at Super Mario 64, would I like this game and could I get into it?

I think you'd like it just as much. It feels kinda like a cross between SMB3 and SM64 with a little dash of SMW thrown in the mix.

Although it might be hard for you to get into the story since you've missed some important events in the previous 3D games.

UberTag

I'm also pretty sure that once you earn the shiny stars they can't be taken away, so if for whatever reason you really want them you might want to just beat the first 8 worlds and then go back for the trickier star coins later just to be safe.
The other reason that this is a sensible approach to take is that the invincible Tanooki power-up ONLY materializes during your initial run through a level. Once you beat the level the first time, you can die as many times as you want trying to get elusive star medals or gold flags and it won't impact your shiny status one lick.

_PsiFire_

Somewhere in world 6.

Seems like a pretty big step backwards from Galaxy, but I guess that isn't a fair comparison, portable hardware and all that.

Still, I'm constantly flying off ledges and miscalculating jumps. I dont think its the 3D, its either the physics or the analog nub.

I just dont have the kind of precision over Mario I need to get completely sucked into the game.

I think it's the Hexagon shape (or lack thereof in 3DS's sake) on Nintendo controllers.

Having the analog stick rest in one of those grooves is perfect for Mario platformers and the 3DS doesn't have that.

Other than that, I don't think there's anything wrong with the analog nub on the 3DS - it's just as accurate as any analog stick I've used in the past.

Kinda wish I knew about the 5 Deaths thing before I got to World 7... I actually refuse to grab the helping item when it shows up (too proud/take it as in insult, lol).

Still, existing a course after reaching the checkpoint and starting over after 4 deaths would have been annoying. Maybe it will encourage me to do a second playthrough.

i once grabbed the item but shut the 3DS down to stay inside the 5 death limit lol. i got 2 stars on my file after beating the last stage (normal).

did i get it?!

i once grabbed the item but shut the 3DS down to stay inside the 5 death limit lol. i got 2 stars on my file after beating the last stage (normal).

did i get it?!

The shiny stars? You should be able to tell, but most likely not, other people in the thread have said they've died five times and turned the game off before the level even loaded again and they still lost the shiny stars.

jarosh

The shiny stars? You should be able to tell, but most likely not, other people in the thread have said they've died five times and turned the game off before the level even loaded again and they still lost the shiny stars.
the game doesn't save when it re-loads the level with the golden leaf, so i highly doubt you would lose the shiny stars. it was the same in nsmb wii and turning off your wii or just quitting out of the game when the super guide block appeared worked just fine and you wouldn't lose the shiny stars there either.

so why do i have 2 shiny stars on my save file after beating the game?

one is for beating the game (normal) and one is for..?

The number of stars has nothing to do with the 5 lives thing, I'm not sure what exactly the two stars are for but you'd have them whether or not you qualified for the shiny stars, and you can get all 5 even if you use a helping item.

the game doesn't save when it re-loads the level with the golden leaf, so i highly doubt you would lose the shiny stars. it was the same in nsmb wii and turning off your wii or just quitting out of the game when the super guide block appeared worked just fine and you wouldn't lose the shiny stars there either.

Alright, I didn't know for sure but at least poster mentioned earlier in the thread that they got a helping item, did something to try to negate it and still lost the shiny stars. Maybe they just left the course instead of turning it off or something.

UberTag

Alright, I didn't know for sure but at least poster mentioned earlier in the thread that they got a helping item, did something to try to negate it and still lost the shiny stars. Maybe they just left the course instead of turning it off or something.
This must be the case.
I fully exited out of the game whenever the golden leaf block appeared and my stars stayed shiny with no trouble at all.

Nessus

Love the game.
But the Levels are definitly to short. Thats not normal for Ninty.
Still, a good game.

Pretty much by design, as it's a portable game. They even specifically mentioned having to consciously make smaller levels compared to the Galaxy games.

so i don't need a shiny never die star to get all the content in the game?

now i'm confused what are shiny stars?

No, the shiny star are purely cosmetic, you don't need them to get all the content in the game, they just look nice on your file select screen.

To get all of the stars you have to
beat every level with Mario and Luigi, get all the star coins, and get a golden flag on every level.

I don't what exactly the first two stars are for, one's definitely for clearing the first eight worlds.

And the shiny stars are just that. You have two stars on your file, if you died more than five times on a level they're just silver, if you didn't die more than 5 times on a level they have extra sparkles coming out of them and are a brighter white color.

So yeah, to recap, you get two stars after beating the first eight worlds no matter what, if you didn't get a helping item they look slightly different.

Edit: I just reread your post and it seems like you think that the stars and shiny stars are different things or something. You earn stars by doing the thing I spoiler tagged. If you never died 5 times on your first run through a level, all of the stars are shiny, if you did, none of them are. You can't separately earn some shiny stars and some normal ones or anything like that.

oh okay thanks man, mine are pretty shiny so i think i got that. but do i lose shiny if i die with
luigi in the special worlds?

jarosh

oh okay thanks man, mine are pretty shiny so i think i got that. but do i lose shiny if i die with
luigi in the special worlds?

no, the special worlds don't have the golden leaf period. you can die 100 times, you will never get a golden leaf or a p-wing.

vall03

just started playing this game and holy shit! this is how to properly implement 3D in a game! While I already think OoT was good with 3D, this was even better! Also, after playing through World 1, the game really feels like 64 + Galaxy!

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Is there another penalty (or non cosmetic enhancement) for dying so many times the p-wing appears? I didn't use them (well I used the tanooki suit once because I didn't know what it was).

Top Bottom