• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Anth0ny

It's not like it's required to see content.

It kinda is. I just had to go through worlds 1-4 again to collect coins in order to get into the world 5 castle.

I saved coin collecting for the end in NSMB, and assumed it was the same deal here. Guess not. I'll have to start collecting them from now on...

Foffy

Banned
You need 100 coins to fight the last boss.

I had 96 so therefore had to go back through levels.

Shitty design that should not be in a piece of software in 2011.

Why would you miss the coins? Surely you've played Mario/DK games in the past where the collectibles eventually unlock shit, right?

Sinthetic

Never ever felt like a grind to me, the levels are too short and fun to even remotely feel that way.

I had way more coins than needed at any given moment. I don't get how you can not try looking for them when the design is begging you to look a little out of field to find them.

I guess some people like exploring more than others! Look for the big Star Coins shadows folks. ;D

I got any I saw but my intention was always to go back and try and 100% it later. I always had enough coins to progress but I frequently didn't get all the coins on a level.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Amazing game, loving it so far.

Socreges

Banned
Any game that makes me go back through previous levels just to complete it automatically goes on my shitlist.

Sorry, Nintendo.
I figure it would have taken you about 3-5 minutes to get those 4 remaining coins.

I understand that it seems like a poor decision in principle, but they obviously allowed for it since the levels are so short so I don't see the problem.

Personally I see the coins as a fundamental part of the game, not some collection bonus. They're presented that way as well.

Kyzer

Banned
Finally got this yesterday.

WTF? Why is this the best Mario game ever?

I love the little details...like the birds and dandelions...and the way the trees move when you climb them. Even the little rocks you automatically kick and break.

Man. This makes me think Super Mario Universe is gonna be something else entirely.

In Koizumi we trust.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Any game that makes me go back through previous levels just to complete it automatically goes on my shitlist.

Sorry, Nintendo.
Hm... So you don't have 2 minutes to go back to a level and find some easily spottable coins you would probably have found without much effort on your first playthrough if you weren't so worried about rushing to the end?

I'm the one who's sorry, man.

Neiteio

I can't believe Mario Kart 7 comes out in a couple weeks, hot off the heels of one of the best Mario games ever.

They need to release a bundle with both games included. Maybe the Ice White 3DS with SM3DL and MK7.

I can't believe Mario Kart 7 comes out in a couple weeks, hot off the heels of one of the best Mario games ever.

They need to release a bundle with both games included. Maybe the Ice White 3DS with SM3DL and MK7.

Don't see why they'd bother - these are going to be the go-to purchases with a new 3DS for a good while anyway.

Javier

Wow, so you didn't like 64/Galaxy games either?!

Well I guess you wouldn't if that's the case.
He doesn't like Super Mario World either, I guess.

I have to say this is by far the best title on the 3DS right now. That might change when Mario Kart 7 comes out, but this is definitely a quality title.

And by the way, I wasn't trying hard to get the Star Coins on my first run, and I still didn't need to go back until
Special World 8, and at that point I had Luigi, so I started getting the remaining Star Coins with Luigi so I killed two birds with one stone.

The game is actually very well designed if you look at it that way.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Got my third star (
Finished all Special Worlds
)

Anyone know how to get the 10th photo? I think I would have to get all the star coins in each level but not entirely sure

I -thought- #10 came from beating the revamped question with Luigi...

Alrus

So I got this on saturday and I must admit I really like it so far, it's not really challenging (but then again I always found 3D marios pretty easy) but it's a lot of fun to play. It took me a bit to get used to the run button, but now I don't mind it.

Cant wait to get to the post game content, only 2 worlds left!

it also needs a redesign

People need to stop posting this a bazillion times in every single 3DS thread in existence, it's getting really annoying :|

Got my fourth star (
Got all level star coins
)

Just need to get the fifth star!
LUIGI TIME MOTHERFUCKER! and need to get all gold flags :p

Zebra

Got my third star! Just completed S8-castle, and the
"!" W8-Castle

Nintendo striked gold with this 3D isometric view, I want them to revisit other franchises with that style. Luigi's Mansion and Paper Mario are the next following.

God, I can't wait for Luigi's Mansion 2. I just know it's going to be so good.

It's a Q1 2012 release. That means between January and March right? That's just a few months away!

I feel sorry for people waiting on a 3DS revision. They don't know what they're missing.

loosus

Banned
Just completed the game through World 8.

I would say my biggest complaints are...

--The controls are kinda sloppy. In some ways, they're much better than those of Galaxy, in that I actually feel comfortable jumping to hit question blocks while on a riding on a moving platform, for example. I never felt comfortable doing that in Galaxy. However, there have been SO many times, even near the end of the game, where I have died because Mario magically didn't jump as far as I thought he should, and I just can't figure it out. It almost seems random.

--I'm not sure what it is because I NEVER had this problem in Mario 64, Sunshine, or the Galaxy games, but I find myself often not knowing if one platform is above another and jumping to my death because of it. Like I said, I don't know what they've changed in this game compared to the old 3D Mario games, but it has definitely been a bit of an issue.

--Sometimes, especially when I am trying to race through a level, the camera does not keep up. Two steps forward, one step backward. I welcome a fixed camera, but it either (a) has to keep up or (b) always point in the correct direction enough to see what's well up ahead.

I'd give the game a 7/10. I definitely, definitely, definitely like it more than the Galaxy games, but I'd still rather play New Super Mario Bros. because of the superior controls, the fact that depth perception is never a problem, and the camera is obviously never an issue.

Oh, and the fact that they STILL permanently penalize you for dying 5 times in a level is the epitome of fucking stupid. Why not let you "redeem" yourself by going through the entire level without an assistance item? That proves you don't really NEED the item. But really, it's worse than that because you get penalized even if you don't use the fucking items.

PSGames

Oh, and the fact that they STILL permanently penalize you for dying 5 times in a level is the epitome of fucking stupid. Why not let you "redeem" yourself by going through the entire level without an assistance item? That proves you don't really NEED the item. But really, it's worse than that because you get penalized even if you don't use the fucking items.

Permanently penalized? What's this?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I am always amused when someone says "this feature I have a pet peeve over has no place in games of Future Year 20XX."

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Just completed the game through World 8.

I would say my biggest complaints are...

--The controls are kinda sloppy. In some ways, they're much better than those of Galaxy, in that I actually feel comfortable jumping to hit question blocks while on a riding on a moving platform, for example. I never felt comfortable doing that in Galaxy. However, there have been SO many times, even near the end of the game, where I have died because Mario magically didn't jump as far as I thought he should, and I just can't figure it out. It almost seems random.

--I'm not sure what it is because I NEVER had this problem in Mario 64, Sunshine, or the Galaxy games, but I find myself often not knowing if one platform is above another and jumping to my death because of it. Like I said, I don't know what they've changed in this game compared to the old 3D Mario games, but it has definitely been a bit of an issue.

--Sometimes, especially when I am trying to race through a level, the camera does not keep up. Two steps forward, one step backward. I welcome a fixed camera, but it either (a) has to keep up or (b) always point in the correct direction enough to see what's well up ahead.

I'd give the game a 7/10. I definitely, definitely, definitely like it more than the Galaxy games, but I'd still rather play New Super Mario Bros. because of the superior controls, the fact that depth perception is never a problem, and the camera is obviously never an issue.

they don't penalize you at all. if anything the "don't die five times" challenge is an easter egg for the hardcore crowd. its a trophy/achievement without actually being a trophy.

I have issues with the momentum of Mario. I find it hard to know when he has enough speed to jump a reasonable distance. It's kinda hard to tell.

I'm on the special worlds now but it hasn't been a massive problem yet.

Kyzer

Banned
My only complaint is that the controls lack a certain precision that I've come to expect after Galaxy. If they can perfect this, and add online co-op and level creation, Super Mario Universe will be game of the forever.

Sinthetic

I have issues with the momentum of Mario. I find it hard to know when he has enough speed to jump a reasonable distance. It's kinda hard to tell.

I'm on the special worlds now but it hasn't been a massive problem yet.

Not the first time this has been brought up mate, all I can say is holding the run button before you run actually makes a difference, at least it did for me.

BowieZ

Banned
W00t!!!!!!

Got an SMS from EB Games while I was at work today and they said (automated) I could come in and pick up SM3DL from tomorrow onwards as it's arrived today.

...which is 2 days before street date in Australia. Wicked.

Now to hope they price match with GAME.

EDIT: Do or should they typically price-match if there's an accompanying pre-order bonus (the tanooki hat)???

Top Bottom