• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Sinthetic

No, it isn't -- that's one of the few things I'm sure of. There are MULTIPLE requirements for the final star --
these include All Gold Flags, All Star Coins, and all levels with Mario and Luigi

I checked this by copying my save which had 3 incomplete levels -- one
beaten only by Luigi
, one
with 2/3 star coins
, and one
without a Gold Flag

Finishing the Star Coin collection (all the standard levels and some other total requirement?) grants one star.

Completing BOTH of the second objectives (and the Star Coins) results in the final star.

I think the confusion is coming as at least one (or more) save file stars require -multiple- objectives to be complete, and folks are assuming the last objective they completed is the trigger...

Can't be sure exactly, other than that I have FIVE STARS and they are shining.

This is what I did:
Finished the 8 Worlds with Mario, during that run, I got all the Star Coins and hit Gold Flags on every level, once I had the credits, I came out with 2 Stars on my save file.

Next, I did the Special World with Mario, had all Star Coins and every Gold Flag.
Luigi runs were next, I blasted through both sets of Worlds and hit the Gold Flags just to be sure.

After I did the final Castle in World S8 with Luigi, I came out and had 5 stars, sparkling and level S Crown unlocked.

The end.

zigg

This is what I did:
Finished the 8 Worlds with Mario, during that run, I got all the Star Coins and hit Gold Flags on every level, once I had the credits, I came out with 2 Stars on my save file.

FWIW, I did not have all coins+flags (maybe I had all flags though? uhh I honestly don't remember now) but I did have two stars at this point.

Sinthetic

FWIW, I did not have all coins+flags (maybe I had all flags though? uhh I honestly don't remember now) but I did have two stars at this point.

I hear you mate, the chunk of text I posted was just a guideline of how I ended up with the 100%... I'm sure there are triggers for them to appear, if you do all that I wrote, you will guaranteed have them.

I got one of those mini levels through streetpass today. It's pretty silly, but whatever. I somehow think I needed that to complete my Mario 3D land experience. :lol

zigg

I hear you mate, the chunk of text I posted was just a guideline of how I ended up with the 100%... I'm sure there are triggers for them to appear, if you do all that I wrote, you will guaranteed have them.
Yeah, I just have NFI what I did for star 2 to this day is all. :lol

Barrett2

While the game is certainly not hard in the first 8 worlds, I definitely have moments of dying a few times in a row going for a coin here and there.

About to begin world 8, can't wait to see those special levels.

Chopper

After telling a friend of mine how brilliant this game is, describing it as the perfect handheld cross between Galaxy and Mario 64, and better (IMO) than NSMB Wii, he simply replied "I'm not spending £30 on a 3DS game". This man is not strapped for cash. How annoying.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Is there another penalty (or non cosmetic enhancement) for dying so many times the p-wing appears? I didn't use them (well I used the tanooki suit once because I didn't know what it was).

there is no penalty. there is only that one cosmetic change to your save file which is more for bragging rights than anything else.

Davey Cakes

After telling a friend of mine how brilliant this game is, describing it as the perfect handheld cross between Galaxy and Mario 64, and better (IMO) than NSMB Wii, he simply replied "I'm not spending £30 on a 3DS game". This man is not strapped for cash. How annoying.
Maybe he can snag a good deal on Black Friday.

Wizpig

Definitely better than NSMBWii.

But... did they pull THE NSMBWii on the save file stars? if the super guide or whatever you call it pops in your game you lose your shiny stars? is this real in 3D Land aswell? arrrghhh!

edit. read the OP, damn this idea, it's not even EAD Tokyo's idea since NSMBWii wasn't their game, why did they pick this? T_T
As far as i am, world 4, i still haven't seen the super guide, but now i won't sleep peacefully at night, and players will just try to find ways to avoid that (hardresetting the 3DS or just change levels after you died 4 times i guess)

Definitely better than NSMBWii.

But... did they pull THE NSMBWii on the save file stars? if the super guide or whatever you call it pops in your game you lose your shiny stars? is this real in 3D Land aswell? arrrghhh!

edit. read the OP, damn this idea, it's not even EAD Tokyo's idea since NSMBWii wasn't their game, why did they pick this? T_T
As far as i am, world 4, i still haven't seen the super guide, but now i won't sleep peacefully at night, and players will just try to find ways to avoid that (hardresetting the 3DS or just change levels after you died 4 times i guess)

The game saves after you complete every level. All you have to do if you see it is turning the 3DS off and back on again.

zigg

The fact that you're even mentioning this exploit kind of demonstrates how stupid the idea is in the first place.
The stupid part is that the game doesn't immediately write your failure to your save.

There's nothing wrong with rewarding excellent play. It's just that it's been cheapened by the fact that it's so easy to maintain that status... even easier than it was in NSMBW, where you'd potentially lose progress if you reset.

The stupid part is that the game doesn't immediately write your failure to your save.

There's nothing wrong with rewarding excellent play. It's just that it's been cheapened by the fact that it's so easy to maintain that status... even easier than it was in NSMBW, where you'd potentially lose progress if you reset.
Yeah, I guess I'm just bitter because I found out about it when it was too late. :p

ARE MY 165 LIVES NOT ENOUGH TO APPEASE YOU, SHINY STAR GODS!?

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
In the S levels (Which are amazing by the way), how do you know if Mario or Luigi (or both) have finished a level? Is it all just your memory?

zigg

In the S levels (Which are amazing by the way), how do you know if Mario or Luigi (or both) have finished a level? Is it all just your memory?
After you clear S8-castle then W8-castle again with L you'll get indicators.

Disclaimer: actual procedure may be simpler than this.

UberTag

Individual completion identifiers for both brothers don't start being displayed until you've cleared through all of the Special levels at least once.

Afterwards, you'll be able to readily see at a glance which levels have only been completed by one of the brothers and not both.

marjo

But then people would simply quit the life before the items show up, which is also stupid.

Simply not using the items should be enough to get the coveted 'status'.

Volodja

The Crown level si making me want to grab a Leaf power-up.
As per usual in long levels with tricky parts the sections I keep on dying on are the relatively trivial ones because I become annoyed and try to rush recklessly (or because Mario decides to slip from a platform).
I can pretty reliably reach the 4rd portion but the falling platforms are a pain in the ass and oftentimes I am reduced to Small Mario at that point and one flame ends up hitting me even if I don't fall. After that there is the chasing with the flamethrowers and I really am not looking forward to doing it (I haven't even done it once but I already hate that stuff when on the normal levels).
Also, the fact that there is the mini-boss battle at the end of the second section makes me sad, that thing brings no challenge at all, it only serves to slow you down and to make the level feel much longer.

Sinthetic

The Crown level si making me want to grab a Leaf power-up.
As per usual in long levels with tricky parts the sections I keep on dying on are the relatively trivial ones because I become annoyed and try to rush recklessly (or because Mario decides to slip from a platform).
I can pretty reliably reach the 4rd portion but the falling platforms are a pain in the ass and oftentimes I am reduced to Small Mario at that point and one flame ends up hitting me even if I don't fall. After that there is the chasing with the flamethrowers and I really am not looking forward to doing it (I haven't even done it once but I already hate that stuff when on the normal levels).
Also, the fact that there is the mini-boss battle at the end of the second section makes me sad, that thing brings no challenge at all, it only serves to slow you down and to make the level feel much longer.

Keep going my friend, after you have conquered it, you will feel like the king of the World!

Volodja

Keep going my friend, after you have conquered it, you will feel like the king of the World!
Slowly progressing, the 4th part in the end was easy as hell and the one after that (with the word spelled by the disappearing platforms) would have been a walk in the park if I didn't go the wrong way.
Recalibrating my senses to do this with Luigi will take a few deaths, I fear.

Glix

You should get the shiny stars for not using the help items, not for not having them appear.

Its so stupid because I didn't know about it, and the only reason I died 5+ times on certain levels is because I like to get all 3 coins on my first go so that I don't have to come back.

While im not angry or anything... I feel inferior to you shiny star people.

I think I'd need at least a year before deleting my save and trying again....

I don't mind not getting the shiny. I only died enough times on maybe three or four stages while trying to get a star coin, and if that's enough to not get a shiny so be it. I'm not going out of my way to get a little sparkly; especially when it is kind of betraying the intention behind it.

KarmaCow

I just unlocked the last level and
it has the two worst parts of the game right away. Great. Not only does have it stupid 'jump toward the screen' camera angle, which is awful for judging distance, it has separated blocks followed by a larger gap which means if you stop you wont have enough speed to do a proper jump. I think that's the last straw for me. I didn't have much desire to replay all the levels again due to apathy but this level is just repulsive.

Stuneseht

Slowly progressing, the 4th part in the end was easy as hell and the one after that (with the word spelled by the disappearing platforms) would have been a walk in the park if I didn't go the wrong way.
Recalibrating my senses to do this with Luigi will take a few deaths, I fear.

That 8-Crown was clearly built for Mario. I cant tell you the number of times I fell off with
Luigi due to his higher jump and slipperiness
... Though he did make the final part much more easier. I think i lost almost 200 lives trying to conquer that stage with him; and boy did it feel good doing it.
Since I purposely decided to complete the stage with
Luigi
first; now it's time to complete it with Mario. NO TANOOKI TAILS ALLOWED!!!

Volodja

I just unlocked the last level and
it has the two worst parts of the game right away. Great. Not only does have it stupid 'jump toward the screen' camera angle, which is awful for judging distance, it has separated blocks followed by a larger gap which means if you stop you wont have enough speed to do a proper jump. I think that's the last straw for me. I didn't have much desire to replay all the levels again due to apathy but this level is just repulsive.
You don't have to keep speed in the part where the blocks are close and there is a jump in the end. Just get to the last block, stay close to the edge nearest to you, then press the run button and in quick succession forward (or up in this case), duck and jump to do the long jump. The problem with that level is that there are many little not really tricky but tricky if you are not paying attention parts and more often than not you end up screwing up somewhere.

That 8-Crown was clearly built for Mario. I cant tell you the number of times I fell off with
Luigi due to his higher jump and slipperiness
... Though he did make the final part much more easier. I think i lost almost 200 lives trying to conquer that stage with him; and boy did it feel good doing it.
Since I purposely decided to complete the stage with
Luigi
first; now it's time to complete it with Mario. NO TANOOKI TAILS ALLOWED!!!
I'm not using the tanooki tails myself and I'm already around the 150 deaths with Mario. I can pass the first 2 sections and the mini-boss without an itch, in the 3rd section (the one with the moving platform) I always get hit by the top spinning flames when I try to jump the lower ones. Then I usually die in the section after that to one of the flames (I rarely end up falling down there, but it's not much of a consolation). The 4th section is aboslutely trivial and the one after that I fall like and idiot every time, when I manage to reach it. It's frustrating because I know I can do every single section but my concentration gets eroded along the way.

Volodja

Ok, completed my No Tanooki Suit run beating
the Final Level with both Mario and Luigi
and got the Golden Flag too.
It will take a while to erase from my mind the first passages of that damn level. Frankly I expected a little bit of ceremonies for beating it, instead I got nothing.

Chorazin

Finally beat Crown with Mario, and then immediately after that, beat it with Luigi. Whelp, I guess that means Mario is over. :-(

Zebra

Have we settled on a total number of star coins yet? Because I seem to have maxed out at 320.

Ok, completed my No Tanooki Suit run beating
the Final Level with both Mario and Luigi
and got the Golden Flag too.
It will take a while to erase from my mind the first passages of that damn level. Frankly I expected a little bit of ceremonies for beating it, instead I got nothing.

You got a "THANK YOU!!"
;]

I recently beat it with tanooki suits. I applaud anyone that beats it without it, as it seems absolutely impossible to me.

Volodja

Have we settled on a total number of star coins yet? Because I seem to have maxed out at 320.

You got a "THANK YOU!!"
;]

I recently beat it with tanooki suits. I applaud anyone that beats it without it, as it seems absolutely impossible to me.
Yeah, and I also died 2 times on it because I didn't notice the moving platform basically pasted to the switch to activate the letters. Actually I noticed it but tought it was used in a later part as a connection (basically I tought it was a sort of timed section).I felt dumb. Really dumb.

I have 302 stars. But I haven't had many opportunities of getting a lot of the ones from the Mystery Boxes considering that I've had the game for 5 days.

Celine

Biggest bullshit Nintendo ever did.
NSMBW was overall very good though.

Personally I'm extremely happy with the difficulty of the game as a whole after playing 8-Crown. I'm glad that shit's there for people who want it, but it seems pretty sadistic to me. I wasted like 20 lives trying to get past the second area, finally caved in and used a Tanooki leaf and got to the
part where Cosmic Mario is chasing you through the flame jet things.

I used to love challenging games (and I guess I still do to some extent) but at this point in my life I really don't feel accomplished after finally beating something like that, I feel stupid for wasting so much time on a single level.

Ideally I wish the special worlds would have ramped up in difficulty just a bit faster so that maybe the 7th world would have been as hard as the 8th is now, but the last couple worlds were really good at feeling tense and rewarding without having me die tens of times to get through.

This is kind of an odd question maybe, but does anyone have kids or younger sibling or nephews or nieces who are playing the game?

I agree with Jeremy Parish's review of the game quite a bit, but one thing I'm not quite on board with is his criticism that the game apes SMB3's style so much that it never develops a personality of its own.

SMB3 came out a long time ago and there's going to be tons of kids playing this game that grew up with 64 or even Sunshine, so obviously they could end up loving this game and that criticism would mean absolutely nothing to them.

It would be the same for people on GAF who never played 3 (shame on you though!), just curious if people who don't get the nods and similarities with the older games still enjoy it as much.

There's no real reason for maxing that out, right? I'm at 297 but with everything unlocked I don't see any reason to go out of my way to look at the puzzle room things every day.

I know if you get 1500 lives the number is replaced with three crowns, which doesn't really serve any point and I'll never do it, but for people who like to max all the stats in a Mario games to have the "perfect save," there's that.

Still taking my time and savoring the game. Just got to World 8-1, what a fantastic level. Also, want a serious
pre second quest
challenge? Try beating the entire Airship on world six with your Tanooki suit, then beat Boom Boom's girlfriend (or sister? heh) using ONLY your tail sweep, no stomping, all while avoiding the fire chains in the room.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Personally I'm extremely happy with the difficulty of the game as a whole after playing 8-Crown. I'm glad that shit's there for people who want it, but it seems pretty sadistic to me. I wasted like 20 lives trying to get past the second area, finally caved in and used a Tanooki leaf and got to the
part where Cosmic Mario is chasing you through the flame jet things.

I used to love challenging games (and I guess I still do to some extent) but at this point in my life I really don't feel accomplished after finally beating something like that, I feel stupid for wasting so much time on a single level.

Ideally I wish the special worlds would have ramped up in difficulty just a bit faster so that maybe the 7th world would have been as hard as the 8th is now, but the last couple worlds were really good at feeling tense and rewarding without having me die tens of times to get through.

This is kind of an odd question maybe, but does anyone have kids or younger sibling or nephews or nieces who are playing the game?

I agree with Jeremy Parish's review of the game quite a bit, but one thing I'm not quite on board with is his criticism that the game apes SMB3's style so much that it never develops a personality of its own.

SMB3 came out a long time ago and there's going to be tons of kids playing this game that grew up with 64 or even Sunshine, so obviously they could end up loving this game and that criticism would mean absolutely nothing to them.

It would be the same for people on GAF who never played 3 (shame on you though!), just curious if people who don't get the nods and similarities with the older games still enjoy it as much.

There's no real reason for maxing that out, right? I'm at 297 but with everything unlocked I don't see any reason to go out of my way to look at the puzzle room things every day.

I know if you get 1500 lives the number is replaced with three crowns, which doesn't really serve any point and I'll never do it, but for people who like to max all the stats in a Mario games to have the "perfect save," there's that.
max lives is 1111

This game is so great. It's great how Mario survived the dark days of Sunshine
and to an extent 64
and came back better than ever from Galaxy onwards.

loosus

Banned
You should get the shiny stars for not using the help items, not for not having them appear.

Its so stupid because I didn't know about it, and the only reason I died 5+ times on certain levels is because I like to get all 3 coins on my first go so that I don't have to come back.

While im not angry or anything... I feel inferior to you shiny star people.

I think I'd need at least a year before deleting my save and trying again....

Yep, you get punished for dying. Fucking bullshit and just bad design. I think you should even be able to get the shiny stars even if you use an assistance item but only after you go through the entire level without the items, thus redeeming yourself and showing that you can complete the level without assistance.

Skimmed over that review, wasn't surprised when it came off as a bunch of long winded dullery. I'm surprised he didn't whine about
the second quest's difficulty based on folks' comments here especially since Parish has a penchant for complaining about hardcore difficulty and often acts like bonus stages are a waste of time.
I've been eagerly waiting twenty years for a game to feature the Tanooki suit and other SMB 3 elements again, the game plays great, offers challenge when you need it, incorporates lots of great elements from the 2D series in a 3D environment and yet the best complaints he can lodge is the game in his opinion "doesn't have it's own identity" and he's sad the Tanooki suit can't actually fly? Whatever.

haha, you want the shiny stars? don't die more than 5 times then!

it's not like you actually need shiny stars. it's there to signify that you're a great player, that's all. unless i'm mistaken, of course, i haven't played this yet.

FaidSint

I had a question about getting 100% on this game.
I know you have to beat every level with both Mario and Luigi, but is there a way to tell which one of them you have already beaten it with. I like to switch around back and forth on the Special levels and didn't realize that I would have to play them all again.

Also, I had no idea the special world existed before I reached it. Is it literally just 8 more worlds, basically doubling the game content once you beat it the first time around? What an incredible extra!

This game is amazing!

AniHawk

I know you have to beat every level with both Mario and Luigi, but is there a way to tell which one of them you have already beaten it with. I like to switch around back and forth on the Special levels and didn't realize that I would have to play them all again.

Also, I had no idea the special world existed before I reached it. Is it literally just 8 more worlds, basically doubling the game content once you beat it the first time around? What an incredible extra!

This game is amazing!

once you beat the game as luigi, you get luigi's credit sequence. then there should be m and l icons on the bottom right of each stage next to the gold flag symbol.

This game is amazing!

Once you beat the last level little icons will show up letting you know who you've beaten each level with.

Also I think you might be able to just beat the last stage in regular world 8 with Luigi to get the icons, don't quote me on that though.

And you are correct concerning the end-game content
though as you may have already noticed some of the levels are just remixes of old levels.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Once you beat the last level little icons will show up letting you know who you've beaten each level with.

Also I think you might be able to just beat the last stage in regular world 8 with Luigi to get the icons, don't quote me on that though.

And you are correct concerning the end-game content
though as you may have already noticed some of the levels are just remixes of old levels.

It doesn't work. I tried it before completing all the s worlds.

I just got to
the second half of
World 8. My God. Just oh wow. This game is so perfect.

So far I haven't died more than 4 times on any level, and I usually get all 3 Star Coins and even Gold Flags on my first run. If not, I stock up on Tanooki Leaves in 1-1, and speed-run the level to get the Gold Flag. When I asked earlier what the Gold Flags were, I hadn't noticed I'd actually gotten them on 80% of the levels I'd already completed because I wasn't paying attention to the flag when it changed colors, hahaha.

Also, if you max out your lives counter with all crowns, apparently you hear applause and cheering and Mini Mario gets to wear his hat, while Super Mario loses his. Purely a cosmetic thing but I suspect the completionist in me will attempt it at some point.

Top Bottom