• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

oneHeero

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

1225111423_HDjS4-L.jpg

lol, well I leave the 3D effect off on my friends 3DS and each time I check it after she played with it, it remains off so I dont think she moves it at all. This was debunk though right?

Nonetheless, she uses it for Netflix the most, and the AR games with the camera. I see her standing over my 6mo boy and looks like she's taking pictures, when I moved closer in I saw her shooting ping pong balls at him.

So Mario Kart over Mario 3D? booo

I know this isnt the thread for it but what is up with the store on the 3DS? There are no fkn games on it, why cant I buy SMB3 on the VC? Any info?

Schlomo

Finally got this game from Japan, took over a month. Fuck region-locking and fuck customs!

The wait was worth it though. It feels like a direct sequel to the 2D Marios, as if Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy never happened and Nintendo had just explored 3D gameplay for the first time. Now I love the 3D Marios, but this is awesome as well and feels surprisingly fresh. So far, I'm having even more fun than with Galaxy 2.

Roto13

lol, well I leave the 3D effect off on my friends 3DS and each time I check it after she played with it, it remains off so I dont think she moves it at all. This was debunk though right?

Nonetheless, she uses it for Netflix the most, and the AR games with the camera. I see her standing over my 6mo boy and looks like she's taking pictures, when I moved closer in I saw her shooting ping pong balls at him.

So Mario Kart over Mario 3D? booo

I know this isnt the thread for it but what is up with the store on the 3DS? There are no fkn games on it, why cant I buy SMB3 on the VC? Any info?

There are no NES games in the eShop yet. There will be eventually. Right now the Virtual Console is limited to Game Boy and Game Boy Color games.

Also the ping pong ball story is hilarious. xP

oneHeero

There are no NES games in the eShop yet. There will be eventually. Right now the Virtual Console is limited to Game Boy and Game Boy Color games.

Also the ping pong ball story is hilarious. xP

Any ETA on when they will come? Is it with the December update for the 3DS?

Roto13

Any ETA on when they will come? Is it with the December update for the 3DS?

Well the December update was yesterday. :p There's no announced window of release for NES games. And they probably won't just dump the the Wii's VC library on the 3DS eShop, and will instead release them one at a time. They only reason we even know they're coming is because of the Ambassador Games. Early adoptors already have 10 free NES games, and it was announced that they'll be upgradable to the full Virtual Console versions as they're released. Whenever that may be.

Ragus

Banned
Shit, I failed to collect a
star coin in first world (you enter a black box and have 10 seconds to collect things).

So, that mean I will miss at least one star coin for the rest of game? Are all coins necessary to unlock
special worlds?

Roto13

Shit, I failed to collect a
star coin in first world (you enter a black box and have 10 seconds to collect things).

So, that mean I will miss at least one star coin for the rest of game? Are all coins necessary to unlock
special worlds?

Those coins don't actually count towards anything besides your total (you don't need them specifically to unlock everything, and there are enough coins in levels to unlock everything), and those boxes respawn every day and are randomized anyway. There are a lot more boxes available than you'll see at one time on the world map.

Ragus

Banned
Ok, thanks.

I've just finished level 4-1. 3DLand is so awesome. Pure joy pouring out of 3DS screen.

I also love the upper 3d effect. Is it me, or the upper effect isn't as harsh to your eyes as the lower one? I have my 3d slider set to max and my eyes don't hurt me or something like that.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm... How many Star Coins does the game say you have? Also, have you visited every area, including all Toad Houses and ? Boxes, at least once (meaning none of the World icons at the top of the touch screen have a "!")?
I have 324. But no ! signs. :( This is starting to get annoying.

So funny, I think this game saw the biggest turn around this year? We went from a couple of people chiming in with mixed reactions from trade-shows to nearly unanimous amazement by all now. This game is awesome! I don't know why anyone would have doubted that EAD Tokyo would have let it be anything less.

Roto13

Ok, thanks.

I've just finished level 4-1. 3DLand is so awesome. Pure joy pouring out of 3DS screen.

I also love the upper 3d effect. Is it me, or the upper effect isn't as harsh to your eyes as the lower one? I have my 3d slider set to max and my eyes don't hurt me or something like that.

Your mileage may vary. :p
So funny, I think this game saw the biggest turn around this year? We went from a couple of people chiming in with mixed reactions from trade-shows to nearly unanimous amazement by all now. This game is awesome! I don't know why anyone would have doubted that EAD Tokyo would have let it be anything less.

Yeah, I dunno, people are always like that. "Maybe THIS will be the Mario game that isn't excellent!" "Maybe they'll finally release a bad Zelda game!"

Bear

My daughter is 5 and getting use to playing on a 3DS (uses netflix like a pro but not so good on Mario bros 1). Nonetheless, she's been using my friends 3DS so I got her one for Xmas (netflix purposes) and grabbed her Mario 3D, would that be a good start or Mario Kart? Keep in mind I'll be playing the game too (when I can) so no need to say grab dora or something.

Definitely start her off with Mario Kart. It's a very simple to control, I've seen many children around her age enjoy the game with no prior experience with gaming. We take it for granted but platforming is not that easy for young kids, or non-gamers in general.

It is also a great multiplayer game (with download play) if any of her friends get a 3DS for Christmas.

Again, nobody is saying 3D is absolutely necessary. It helps. Maybe people should have made a bigger deal about it helping in Star Fox, too. (Less so in Resident Evil since individual enemies within types are basically the same size so you can judge distance just by how big it is on your screen.) It is a bigger deal in Super Mario 3D Land where the platforms are not uniform and the camera isn't constantly in one position. Also a missed jump often leads to instant death.

The 3D effect absolutely and unarguably adds something beyond looking pretty. Nobody is saying it adds everything and suddenly Super Mario Galaxy is unplayable. It's a bad idea to make a game that can't be played in 2D, since some people get headaches from 3D no matter what they do.

Again, even if it helps, as obvious as it is that it helps, it's equally obvious that it wasn't needed, so let's not make it out to be more than it is. If you agree that people should have made a bigger deal about previous games that I don't think we have anything to argue over here, it's the people who act like Super Mario 3D Land is doing something drastically different than any previous title that annoy me. Especially when they say stuff like "Leave it to Nintendo to show others the way" and then when asked for examples of why the 3D is wonderful point out things pertaining to the platforming genre as a whole instead of Mario 3D specifically. For example, everything you just said pertains to Rayman 3D as much as it does to Mario.

I used the infinite life trick to get three crowns just to say I'd done everything in the game. I already knew about Mario taking off his hat, but it was jarring seeing Small Mario with his hat on.

Roto13

That kid's probably going to figure out the 3D slider pretty fast. :p Probably nothing to worry about, though. There's not really any evidence to show that the 3DS is bad for children. They just put that on the box just in case.

Nessus

This was debunk though right?

Various optometrist associations in the US tested it and said if anything it was good for children to help them develop their eyesight.

Nintendo still sticks by the original no one under 6 just to cover their asses from litigation.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Again, even if it helps, as obvious as it is that it helps, it's equally obvious that it wasn't needed, so let's not make it out to be more than it is. If you agree that people should have made a bigger deal about previous games that I don't think we have anything to argue over here, it's the people who act like Super Mario 3D Land is doing something drastically different than any previous title that annoy me. Especially when they say stuff like "Leave it to Nintendo to show others the way" and then when asked for examples of why the 3D is wonderful point out things pertaining to the platforming genre as a whole instead of Mario 3D specifically. For example, everything you just said pertains to Rayman 3D as much as it does to Mario.

The one difference that should be pointed out is that stuff like Rayman were existing games. The reason why 3D Land makes such and impression is twofold:

1. EAD designed the levels to specifically benefit from the 3D effect when it's on, while trying to balance them so that they were still playable normally without it.

2. EAD is really, really, really good at designing platformers. Therefore, their efforts to design levels so that the 3D actually shows depth cues that really pop out, and line up naturally with the character's trajectories, pay off big time.

3D Land is really the first game on the 3DS that is designed for stereo 3D to heavily assist the gameplay itself, in a type of game that depth perception is critical in.

Socreges

Banned
About the warp pipes:

Are there only two? They're awesome to find, so I'm hoping there's more.

Beat S-8 long ago, but I'm going through with Luigi pretty slowly. Just a few levels per day. If it wasn't for that one last level, I wouldn't have bothered playing through with Luigi honestly. Still very fun, but I'd just move on to something else.

The one difference that should be pointed out is that stuff like Rayman were existing games. The reason why 3D Land makes such and impression is twofold:

1. EAD designed the levels to specifically benefit from the 3D effect when it's on, while trying to balance them so that they were still playable normally without it.

2. EAD is really, really, really good at designing platformers. Therefore, their efforts to design levels so that the 3D actually shows depth cues that really pop out, and line up naturally with the character's trajectories, pay off big time.

3D Land is really the first game on the 3DS that is designed for stereo 3D to heavily assist the gameplay itself, in a type of game that depth perception is critical in.

Yeah, see, this is the same kind of vague crap I always see when people asked to explain why exactly Mario is so great. What does

"Therefore, their efforts to design levels so that the 3D actually shows depth cues that really pop out, and line up naturally with the character's trajectories, pay off big time.

even mean? The game is perfectly playable in 2D, it's still extremely well designed in 2D, and the game could have designed for a 2D system.

And I think "heavily assist" is ridiculous hyperbole, I have trouble believing the game is noticeably harder for you in 2D mode unless you've convinced yourself so thoroughly that the 3D in this game is uniquely incredible that you just purposefully miss jumps to prove a point to yourself.

What's an actual example of anything in the game that is "designed to specifically benefit from the 3D effect when it's on, while balanced so that they were still playable normally without it"? The only things I can think of that were made with 3D in mind are the effects like the eels and spiky things and stuff like that that move towards the screen, and those don't really affect gameplay at all. I just really fail to see how this game is designed any differently than it would have been if it were 2D.

About the warp pipes:

Are there only two? They're awesome to find, so I'm hoping there's more.

Beat S-8 long ago, but I'm going through with Luigi pretty slowly. Just a few levels per day. If it wasn't for that one last level, I wouldn't have bothered playing through with Luigi honestly. Still very fun, but I'd just move on to something else.

I know of one in
1-2
and one in
4-2
so I guess if those are the two you know they might be the only ones. I really wish there was more stuff like that in this game, and the new Marios in general. I still remember the first time I watched someone beat SMW in like ten minutes, secret stuff like that is really fun.

Mistle

Man, after 50 attempts at the final final level, I got past the first boss. I thought it'd be done, but nope ._. continued on past the spinning fire area but got hit just before the warp cube...

no tanooki, of course.

Man, after 50 attempts at the final final level, I got past the first boss. I thought it'd be done, but nope ._. continued on past the spinning fire area but got hit just before the warp cube...

no tanooki, of course.

Stay strong. At least you're doing it the ethical way.

Good thing now though is the whole first section is pretty much muscle memory lol. But everything after is unknown still so it's mayhem after the first boss.

Yeah. It got the same way with me. And then of course I stupidly tried to rush the first couple sections and jumped off the level for no reason.

Finally beat s8-crown. I swear that level was designed by Satan himself. I tried to jump over the THANK YOU letters a couple of times before I realized there is a yellow platform that takes you to the end :p

hiro4

You can always access the parental controls and turn off 3D from there.
I did it for my 3 year old son and it is implemented quite nicely I must say.

whenever you start an application that has 3D, the game asks for you to start in 2D mode (press A) or in 3D mode (press B). For 3D mode you have to enter a code, you've registered in the parental control screen. Also if you enter it incorrectly the game just starts in 2D mode.

Now I won't have to worry that my son's eyes are going to burn when he is watching movies on my 3DS :)

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Quick question,

Thinking about picking this up, I prefer 2D Mario games, hated Mario64, but loved Mario Galaxy, is Super Mario 3D Land for me?

Playing the game in depth-3D, there's the annoying ghosting effect in some of the stages. However, I have found switching to pop-up 3D eliminates it! Has anyone else noticed this?

Roto13

Yeah, see, this is the same kind of vague crap I always see when people asked to explain why exactly Mario is so great. What does

"Therefore, their efforts to design levels so that the 3D actually shows depth cues that really pop out, and line up naturally with the character's trajectories, pay off big time.

even mean? The game is perfectly playable in 2D, it's still extremely well designed in 2D, and the game could have designed for a 2D system.

And I think "heavily assist" is ridiculous hyperbole, I have trouble believing the game is noticeably harder for you in 2D mode unless you've convinced yourself so thoroughly that the 3D in this game is uniquely incredible that you just purposefully miss jumps to prove a point to yourself.

What's an actual example of anything in the game that is "designed to specifically benefit from the 3D effect when it's on, while balanced so that they were still playable normally without it"? The only things I can think of that were made with 3D in mind are the effects like the eels and spiky things and stuff like that that move towards the screen, and those don't really affect gameplay at all. I just really fail to see how this game is designed any differently than it would have been if it were 2D.
I only played one level this morning. Level 3-1. The tower surrounded by sand. One star coin is on the outer wall. I got to it by jumping around a corner and floating to it with the tanooki suit. I was able to tell where I was in relation to the wall because of the 3D effect. There was nothing under me to tell where I was. Without the 3D effect, it would have been more difficult. It's very likely I would have accidentally slid down the wall instead.

There, a specific example.

Tom_Cody

I finally completed the special world and beat Bower for a second time, having collected all star coins and gold flags along the way. I really wish I hadn't been using Mario only. It is going to be a bit of a drag to go through again to earn an "L" on every level. Oh well, I guess I can focus on playing for time this go around...

I finally completed the special world and beat Bower for a second time, having collected all star coins and gold flags along the way. I really wish I hadn't been using Mario only. It is going to be a bit of a drag to go through again to earn an "L" on every level. Oh well, I guess I can focus on playing for time this go around...

Doing the very same thing. It's actually quite fun just breezing through the stages without having to stress about gold coins/flags etc. Have done the first five worlds during my lunch break. Aiming to complete all the worlds Tanooki-less.

Friend and I are going for best time in S4-4. Everyone try it. Go!

Our personal best time between us is 42. I have thoughts on how to shave off another second but I dunno. This game is AWESOME for time-trialing! Next gotta pick a slightly more complicated level, since we don't have decimal places for times and a complicated level means for more error in play.

Tom_Cody

Doing the very same thing. It's actually quite fun just breezing through the stages without having to stress about gold coins/flags etc. Have done the first five worlds during my lunch break. Aiming to complete all the worlds Tanooki-less.
That's a good suggestion. I might aim to do it Tanooki-less as well.

Ragus

Banned
So, basically the only level you have to unlock by doing something specific is
8-(something) (the true last level)?

Socreges

Banned
Friend and I are going for best time in S4-4. Everyone try it. Go!

Our personal best time between us is 42. I have thoughts on how to shave off another second but I dunno. This game is AWESOME for time-trialing! Next gotta pick a slightly more complicated level, since we don't have decimal places for times and a complicated level means for more error in play.
Just did it in 44 on my second try (died on the first). Could maybe shave off a few seconds, but yeah there's really only one good path imo.

Just did it in 44 on my second try (died on the first). Could maybe shave off a few seconds, but yeah there's really only one good path imo.

Actually my friend just got 37. Believe. I can scarcely believe it myself but I'm going to try and match it some time soon.

Socreges

Banned
Took me two attempts to get to 44. Took me another... lot... to get down to 38. I know 37 is possible and that's enough for me. I guess now you'll tell me he's since trimmed it down to 32.

Lots of fun. S1-1 is another good one.

Top Bottom