• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

The last area has an awful camera angle for run 'n' jumping. Straight down? Really? And the much lauded "depth perception" you get from 3D does nothing to help when the camera is so far away.

Although in my defense, I made it all the way to the last ! every time I tried to run 'n' jump and just fucked up the very last jump. Every. Time.

Maybe they added the platform out of pity. U: Seems designed that way, though. I think it's supposed to be an easy ride.

The last area has an awful camera angle for run 'n' jumping. Straight down? Really? And the much lauded "depth perception" you get from 3D does nothing to help when the camera is so far away.

Although in my defense, I made it all the way to the last ! every time I tried to run 'n' jump and just fucked up the very last jump. Every. Time.

Maybe they added the platform out of pity. U: Seems designed that way, though. I think it's supposed to be an easy ride.
It took me well over 100 tries to make it there the first time so once I finally did I was completely in the zone. I made it through on my first try but I was extremely nervous the entire time.

Haha. I'm jealous. I made it there pretty early on, but I just kept throwing the towel in on the very last jump for some reason. So much frustration for such a stupid reason.

I honestly think I could have done it on the first try if the camera angle hadn't been so awkward.

krae_man

rhrhahghhghhhhh

I would have beaten the level about 70 tries earlier. Seriouslyyyy. ;_;

Once I figured that out, I tried to beat it with Mario, but all the timing I worked so hard to get down with Luigi DOES ME NO GOOD when Mario can't jump as far. Hah.

Also one of my biggest issues with this game is sometimes my "running start" goes instantly into full speed, and sometimes it's really slow. I'm 100% certain I have the run button held down for at least a second before I start moving. (They do that little animation.) I'm also 100% certain I'm pressing in the right direction. I'm also 100% certain I'm facing in the direction beforehand. I'm also 100% certain I'm pushing the slide pad all the way in that direction.

This fucked me over so many times on the last level, and, in fact, I'd say that's what caused the majority of my deaths throughout the game. That was the source of my rage. What the hell am I doing wrong?

I managed to get there with a Tanooki Leaf The second time I made it there. I can imagine it being insanely difficult without one because of how far back the camera pans. It got there after only dying maybe 10 times then it took me another 40 to get back with a tanooki leaf because I made the same mistake you did. If I had figured that out, I would have cleared the level super quick.

I never really had an issue with control minus the long jump because pushing 3 buttons to do it is just insane.

Haha. I'm jealous. I made it there pretty early on, but I just kept throwing the towel in on the very last jump for some reason. So much frustration for such a stupid reason.

I honestly think I could have done it on the first try if the camera angle hadn't been so awkward.
By the time you get to that last jump your physical and mental condition is so fragile that it's probably all but impossible to keep from randomly spazzing out and screwing up the jump.

That level is intense.

Yeah it is. The difficulty curve from every-other-level to that is a straight vertical line, miles tall.

I never really had an issue with control minus the long jump because pushing 3 buttons to do it is just insane.

One spot in particular in the last level is the part with he bee. FUCK THAT BEE, BY THE WAY. It was the only enemy that could ruin my momentum. Anyway, I would often kill the bee, line up my orientation with the blocks, hold down the run button, slam the slide pad straight up, JUMP... and be moving at walking speed, not even making it halfway to the next block.

I don't have any idea what I could be doing wrong.

Anth0ny

Yeah, making you
replay all the levels as Luigi
is kinda bullshit. After getting beating
all the special worlds
and getting all the star coins and yellow flags I think I'm ready to set this one down for a bit. I love EAD Tokyo, but I've noticed a trend in their Mario games of trying to play off blatant filler as some sort of amazing bonus content. It ends up unnecessarily cheapening the experience imo. Sometimes leaving stuff on the cutting room floor is better than rehashing content.

I think this is pretty fucking ridiculous too.

This is how it should have gone imo:

1. Play through every stage, no coin collecting required.
2. Unlock
luigi
3. Now collect every coin, yellow flag, and complete every stage as
luigi
4. Unlock super special final stage.

Being forced to replay stages and collect coins is really annoying. In NSMB, I collected all the coins after I finished the game, and it was great. You don't have that luxury in 3D Land, and that's probably my only gripe with the game.

To be perfectly honest, I didn't mind the second run through the levels, because I got all the star coins as I played through the game. The second run was more about beating the levels as fast as I could. I quite enjoyed that. Still, being forced to do it to unlock a single extra stage is bullshit.

Still sad you can't triple jump though.

Yeah. )):

That was the first thing I tried. It's always the first thing I try in Mario games, now. It's such a good feeling, when I can do it.

Honestly, I think that is one of the downsides of this game. Usually, I absolutely love movement in Mario games. His acrobatic tendencies are pure joy. Jumping all around, chaining long jumps into triple jumps into wall jumps into whatever else... SO FUN.

This game is great - it really is! - but I feel like it's missing some of that, for me.

krae_man

Yeah it is. The difficulty curve from every-other-level to that is a straight vertical line, miles tall.

One spot in particular in the last level is the part with he bee. FUCK THAT BEE, BY THE WAY. It was the only enemy that could ruin my momentum. Anyway, I would often kill the bee, line up my orientation with the blocks, hold down the run button, slam the slide pad straight up, JUMP... and be moving at walking speed, not even making it halfway to the next block.

I don't have any idea what I could be doing wrong.

Just never stop moving. I could get to the pipe without stoping every time without missing a beat.
What's inside the pipe is what gave me the most trouble.

Just never stop moving. I could get to the pipe without stoping every time without missing a beat.
What's inside the pipe is what gave me the most trouble.

I could do it sometimes, but other times, that FUCKING BEE would get in the way and I'd get hit, which just broke my momentum. I started playing it safe.

I could do it sometimes, but other times, that FUCKING BEE would get in the way and I'd get hit, which just broke my momentum. I started playing it safe.
I got everything leading up to the pipe down to an absolute science. I would always check the timer once I got to the pipe and it usually ended up having exactly the same number of seconds remaining.

Socreges

Banned
The last level is absolutely fucking killing me. Thank God you guys can empathize. I half-expected to come in here and see someone like,

'Oh, you guys are having a tough time? I don't know what you're talking about. I may have died twice, tops.'

I've been using Mario, but I feel like I should switch to Luigi... do you guys feel like it matters?

The last level is absolutely fucking killing me. Thank God you guys can empathize. I half-expected to come in here and see someone like,

'Oh, you guys are having a tough time? I don't know what you're talking about. I may have died twice, tops.'

I've been using Mario, but I feel like I should switch to Luigi... do you guys feel like it matters?
I think it's all a matter of who you do it with first. Once I got my run down everything felt great playing as Mario, but it took me at least 150 tries to get to that point. :p

I went back later and tried as Luigi and a lot of my perfectly spaced jumps were suddenly off.

Interestingly enough, once I got pretty good at the last level and it started feeling like muscle memory it really reminded me of Super Meat Boy. It's almost like a series of about 10 Super Meat Boy levels strung together into 1.

Interestingly enough, once I got pretty good at the last level and it started feeling like muscle memory it really reminded me of Super Meat Boy. It's almost like a series of about 10 Super Meat Boy levels strung together into 1.

I had the same sort of feeling. It kind of makes me want a 3D SMB. EDIT: Err, Super Meat Boy, not Super Mario Bros. Derp.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I think this is pretty fucking ridiculous too.

This is how it should have gone imo:

1. Play through every stage, no coin collecting required.
2. Unlock
luigi
3. Now collect every coin, yellow flag, and complete every stage as
luigi
4. Unlock super special final stage.

Being forced to replay stages and collect coins is really annoying. In NSMB, I collected all the coins after I finished the game, and it was great. You don't have that luxury in 3D Land, and that's probably my only gripe with the game.

I don't mind the coin structure personally, especially since it only really becomes a challenge in the
Special worlds
which is where the game should be a lot harder. However, can agree that requiring
Luigi playthrough before final stage
is filler. I think it would have been justified, and ideal, if they'd put the extra work in to
give Luigi his OWN special coin locations in each stage requiring you to play the stages differently.

Even so, the game's so much fun to just play, I find this "filler" some of the most fun stuff you could call filler.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I picked this up at Best Buy's sale, initially planning to skip it because of all the negative impressions pre-release and, uh

This is the awful game everyone was complaining about? The one that controls like a truck and was EAD Tokyo's infamous first "miss"?

Because it seems pretty fine to me. I followed the pre-release hype (or anti-hype, as it were) closely and most people were really down on the game and for the life of me I can't figure out why. There was a Gamepro preview that Kat Bailey did (and I can't link because Gamepro is dead) that basically amounted to "This game is isometric and because of that does not play well."

Which, well, I can't relate to at all.

If this is apparently a bad game, then I guess I have super low standards and am not sure I care.

If you had even been paying attention to like, the first couple pages of the thread, you would have known that wasn't the case. Ever since the JP release it's been 95% praise from GAFers (I even went through the trouble of including a bunch in the OP.)

Oh and the game only seems half as long and challenging as it actually is, don't comment on those two things til you've beaten the game. ;)

Socreges

Banned
I think it's all a matter of who you do it with first. Once I got my run down everything felt great playing as Mario, but it took me at least 150 tries to get to that point.

I went back later and tried as Luigi and a lot of my perfectly spaced jumps were suddenly off.
But does Luigi jump further? I'd happily adapt back if he does.

I'm having the exact same problem as Togglesworth with my 'running start' not really catching and the jumps often coming up painfully short without any good reason.

I wanted to see how people handled a certain part of the level (that I can pass, but often fail), but all the videos have people using the tanooki suit. Very sad to see.

....but it's extremely tempting.

Bernbaum

Jumped in this week and I'm up to World 5. Been 3-starring a lot of levels first try.

Exceptional game, as expected, even if it's a tad easy.

Bernbaum

Oh, and I had no idea that zooming in on the various Toads will result in a gift of 1-ups or Star Coins until I got to World 4.

Also had no idea the Tanooki suit can turn Mario into a statue until reading the OP just now. How did I miss that?

Alrus

Oh, and I had no idea that zooming in on the various Toads will result in a gift of 1-ups or Star Coins until I got to World 4.

Also had no idea the Tanooki suit can turn Mario into a statue until reading the OP just now. How did I miss that?

There's two different Tanooki suit, the one that turns you in a statue is further into the game.

Socreges

Banned
fucking finally beat the last level (sans tanooki suit)

i think i'll try with the tanooki suit now

[edit] did it in one turn. just completely takes away the challenge

Socreges

Banned
Ana,

you only need to get the flags and coins once, with either of them. You just have to beat each level twice, once with Mario and once with Luigi.

A lot of the jumps are tuned for lack of tanooki suit, which makes it slightly harder than it should be in some sections. I think so, anyway.
It was a breeze.
I even got to skip the flying goomba part since I could one-wall jump above and then easily pass by. Fuck that part gave me fits at times before I realized it was best to wait a moment until the first goomba was going down.

Part where I died the most:
Would have to be after the single blocks with one space between them, when you have to long jump to the ledge (before the flying goombas). I found it really difficult for a while to time the long jump in such a small space.

Most depressing deaths:
The second area after beating the koopalings. Right at the end with the falling platforms and fire arms, inches before the block transfer. I'd get so close and then get caught by the fire. Must have happened 10 times. So painful. Once I finally passed it, I made sure I didn't die and managed to beat the level.

Never again. Never again.

Socreges

Banned
Well, all right, then!
Not meaning to sound arrogant. Every part of my brain and every muscle in my fingers had been trained for every corner of that level. Suddenly that I had a massive crutch for any potential errors. While it WAS tuned for Mario without the tanooki suit... there was no part imo where the suit became a detriment.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
the final level unlock is in a silly place.

You beat the 'main' game, you get the special worlds. Beat a bit of that and
you unlock luigi
. Beat all of the special worlds and you get.
..nothing?
Beat all of the worlds with coins and flags and you get
....nothing.
Just run through all the worlds without concentrating on the coins or flags
as luigi... unlock final level.

seems like
you put effort in beating the special worlds and collecting all coins/flags for no apparent reward, then they reward you for doing something easier than that.
Odd.

Socreges

Banned
Okay guys, tip for the cock blocker in the last last stage, please. Do i jump on him twice to reach up?
The toad standing on a block immediately after you encounter the bee? You just need to jump on him once, but make sure you hit jump as you hit him (just like when you want to bounce high off enemies).

I only played one level this morning. Level 3-1. The tower surrounded by sand. One star coin is on the outer wall. I got to it by jumping around a corner and floating to it with the tanooki suit. I was able to tell where I was in relation to the wall because of the 3D effect. There was nothing under me to tell where I was. Without the 3D effect, it would have been more difficult. It's very likely I would have accidentally slid down the wall instead.

There, a specific example.

To me that falls flat. I could easily to the same thing because I have functioning eyes and years of playing video games have taught me to tell where things are in relation to each other without out 3D. I mean, if you truly think you would have failed at this simple task without the 3D, are you even able to play 2D games anymore? Or do you just run around bumping into thing, falling off ledges, and try to interact with things that are actually feet away because it's hard for you to tell where things are in relation to each other?

It's funny to see people talking about the 8-way run and sprint button again, I forgot how much some people were upset about those. Personally the 8-way run never bothered me, and while there should have been an option to switch between a walk button and a run button, really that didn't bother me either.

Are there still people claiming that there is full analog movement? A ton of pages back I remember at least a couple people were confused by the dynamic camera is a few of the levels with more open areas and thought that Nintendo ditched the 8-way run in just those specific areas.

Taichu

Got 5 sparkly stars on my file! The game took me 18 hours and 52 minutes according to my 3DS system log. I ended up with over 500 extra lives.

The game is definitely fun and I recommend it, but Mario didn't seem as maneuverable as he did in the New Super Mario games. I really missed the triple jump, but I think the tanooki powerup kind of made up for it.

Roto13

To me that falls flat. I could easily to the same thing because I have functioning eyes and years of playing video games have taught me to tell where things are in relation to each other without out 3D. I mean, if you truly think you would have failed at this simple task without the 3D, are you even able to play 2D games anymore? Or do you just run around bumping into thing, falling off ledges, and try to interact with things that are actually feet away because it's hard for you to tell where things are in relation to each other?

*facepalm* If it seriously isn't clicking for you by now that some things are easier with depth perception, and that just because something is easier with depth that doesn't mean it can't be done without it, I don't know what to tell you. This concept is clearly going over your head.

Can't get the fifth star on my file. Uuurgh! Got all three stars on each stage, all golden flags,
completed all stages with Luigi
, have speed run times in all stages... what else am I supposed to do? On some stages the completion time is in yellow on others in white. Does it mean sth?

Edit: Times in white are rivals' times.

Platy

Played this game a little more today ... and got the
1-2
warp =D

Wich reminds me ... does this game have the "12 stage route" that most mario games have ?

Desiato

Does
beating S8-crown with both Luigi and Mario unlock anything? I just did it with Mario, and will probably do it later as Luigi anyway, but I'm just curious.

*facepalm* If it seriously isn't clicking for you by now that some things are easier with depth perception, and that just because something is easier with depth that doesn't mean it can't be done without it, I don't know what to tell you. This concept is clearly going over your head.

No, I get what you guys are saying, I just don't see why people are saying things like "This is the first to do 3D right! No other game's 3D has improved gameplay like this! The whole game is tailored ground-up for 3D!" and then when pressed to explain how exactly it's so great, the story changes to "Well yeah, everything in the game could be done in 2D and people have been playing similar games for years with no problem, but technically since the 3D adds more information it's scientifically proven to be beneficial."

Again, I could understand the praise if there were a ton of people who were never able to grasp 3D platformers who suddenly can, but I have a really hard time believing that if you were able to play through any of the previous 3D Marios that the 3D in 3D Land is too beneficial to you. It looks great, but it's just another game in 3D.

It's funny it got so much attention too because the 3D in Mario Kart actually is way better than any other game I've seen so far. I haven't noticed crosstalk a single time so far, and it gives the image a solid, smooth quality that makes it look noticeably better than anything else I've played on 3DS.

Yeah, but not everybodys as awesome as you, bro. ??

No, actually I'm pretty a huge, huge majority of people are able to pull that off. Unless you're saying in a weird way that you are on of the people who could never grasp 3D platformers in 2D?

Nope, it's one of the few games in 3D where the 3D is beneficial.

OK, I've asked you people this several times now and you guys keep going in circles, but why is this one of the few games where 3D is beneficial? Why doesn't it help gauge the distance between you and enemies in Star Fox? Why doesn't it help you platform in Rayman? Why doesn't it help let you know if you're in melee range of enemies in Mercenaries? Doesn't Lego Star Wars have some platforming?

A ton of people say that this is "one of the few" games where 3D actually makes a difference, but it's not hard at all to come up with reasons why almost any other games should be improved. The real difference is basically just that this is better just because it's Mario.

Pimpbaa

OK, I've asked you people this several times now and you guys keep going in circles, but why is this one of the few games where 3D is beneficial? Why doesn't it help gauge the distance between you and enemies in Star Fox? Why doesn't it help you platform in Rayman? Why doesn't it help let you know if you're in melee range of enemies in Mercenaries? Doesn't Lego Star Wars have some platforming?

A ton of people say that this is "one of the few" games where 3D actually makes a difference, but it's not hard at all to come up with reasons why almost any other games should be improved. The real difference is basically just that this is better just because it's Mario.

I don't have those games. Although I am getting Starfox for xmas from someone (I can definitely see it being beneficial in that game). I definitely don't want the other games you mentioned. Out of the 3DS games I own, I think Pilotwings is the only other game I own where 3D helps.

Top Bottom