• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Teknoman

Just got to world 8, and the first stage is really fun. Pop out mode made the spike balls feel like I was going to get hit in the eye at a certain point.

Maybe i'm just spoiled by Mario Galaxy 1 and 2... and sorta NSMB Wii, but the music here didnt really bring too many new favorites to the party. The main theme, beach, and Bowser area themes are great, but other than that, seems like one too many remixes. They arent bad remixes, but I would have liked more original catchy themes.

These are the themes i'm speaking off btw:

3D Land theme

Bowser's area

Beach

Desert theme theme isnt that bad, but it sound more like an overworld theme.

Teknoman

Playing the game in depth-3D, there's the annoying ghosting effect in some of the stages. However, I have found switching to pop-up 3D eliminates it! Has anyone else noticed this?

Yeah thats why its the default. I think in an Iwata Asks about the game, they stated that they found a better type of 3D effect to completely avoid ghosting, but some still liked the depth 3D effect, so they kept the option in.

I might be wrong, but I bet thats the same style of 3D they used for Ocarina of time whenever ghosting occurred, and I remember reading something about how the style of pop out 3D here is the same used in Mario Kart 7?

Anth0ny

Please based God, someday you need to let me play this game with a Gamecube controller.

I want to keep playing, but the 3DS is giving me carpal tunnel syndrome. This is the first 3DS game getting 3+ hour sessions out of me ; _ ;

Got a 3DS today with this game. I have gotten to W-2, and this feels like the most solid mario game in quite some time. It's incredibly fun.

I'd love to see the same design philosophy of '2D feel in 3D' for Wii U. Just needs an playable hub world, (or even an open world)... :)

Grampasso

Uhm what am I supposed to do after
beating all the special worlds? I got all the 3 coins in every level and I've beaten Bowser with Luigi. The only thing I noticed is that now the Mario/Luigi icon appeared in a level, depending who was the one I cleared the level with (or both). When I cleared the last world with Luigi a new 3D pic appeared showing peach with the racoon power up... Does it mean what I think it means? How do I unlock her?

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Uhm what am I supposed to do after
beating all the special worlds? I got all the 3 coins in every level and I've beaten Bowser with Luigi. The only thing I noticed is that now the Mario/Luigi icon appeared in a level, depending who was the one I cleared the level with (or both). When I cleared the last world with Luigi a new 3D pic appeared showing peach with the racoon power up... Does it mean what I think it means? How do I unlock her?

You need to beat every level with Mario and Luigi plus get all the star coins and golden flags... that will cause something to happen...

Sh0k

You need to beat every level with Mario and Luigi plus get all the star coins and golden flags... that will cause something to happen...

I'm in the same situation, when I play with Luigi all the star coins in the levels are transparent. Do I still need to get them plus get the gold flag in order to finish each level with Luigi?

Yeah, making you
replay all the levels as Luigi
is kinda bullshit. After getting beating
all the special worlds
and getting all the star coins and yellow flags I think I'm ready to set this one down for a bit. I love EAD Tokyo, but I've noticed a trend in their Mario games of trying to play off blatant filler as some sort of amazing bonus content. It ends up unnecessarily cheapening the experience imo. Sometimes leaving stuff on the cutting room floor is better than rehashing content.

Gambit

I'm in the same situation, when I play with Luigi all the star coins in the levels are transparent. Do I still need to get them plus get the gold flag in order to finish each level with Luigi?

No, just speed-run the levels. It's actually more fun than I anticipated. You can just breeze through the levels.

Sh0k

No, just speed-run the levels. It's actually more fun than I anticipated. You can just breeze through the levels.

Just to clarify, I just beat S8 castle with Mario and after beating the skeleton bowser, they showed me a picture of Peach in a cage with Bowser laughing in the back. There is another big castle in the map that I need to beat, but if I beat all the levels with Luigi, there still another castle for the real ending ?

Also, is there any indication before selecting the levels, that I've already beaten that particular level with Luigi ?

Grampasso

Just to clarify, I just beat S8 castle with Mario and after beating the skeleton bowser, they showed me a picture of Peach in a cage with Bowser laughing in the back. There is another big castle in the map that I need to beat, but if I beat all the levels with Luigi, there still another castle for the real ending ?

Also, is there any indication before selecting the levels, that I've already beaten that particular level with Luigi ?
Once you beat the final castle with both Mario and Luigi (aka save Peach) you'll be able to see a red M and a green L near the yellow flag indicating with which character you completed a level

Once you beat the final castle with both Mario and Luigi (aka save Peach) you'll be able to see a red M and a green L near the yellow flag indicating with which character you completed a level

That's not quite right...

I just went through Special worlds all with Mario and I now have the M next to the gold flags so I guess you just need to finish Special with either character.

I picked this up at Best Buy's sale, initially planning to skip it because of all the negative impressions pre-release and, uh

This is the awful game everyone was complaining about? The one that controls like a truck and was EAD Tokyo's infamous first "miss"?

Because it seems pretty fine to me. I followed the pre-release hype (or anti-hype, as it were) closely and most people were really down on the game and for the life of me I can't figure out why. There was a Gamepro preview that Kat Bailey did (and I can't link because Gamepro is dead) that basically amounted to "This game is isometric and because of that does not play well."

Which, well, I can't relate to at all.

If this is apparently a bad game, then I guess I have super low standards and am not sure I care.

Well, when it comes to a dev of EAD Tokyo's pedigree even a "miss" is still likely to be a great game.

Personally, I think what there is great but it's definitely a little lacking in terms of content. The much lauded special worlds are okay, but they definitely feel repetitive at times, with a great sense of "I already played this level but now I need to do so with a 30 second time limit and the need to collect clocks, a purple doppleganger, or a 30 second time limit with the need to collect clocks and a purple doppleganger" to them.

It's a fun game that's got some great design and is really worth experiencing, but it ultimately feels a bit light and doesn't really stack up to any of the other recent Marios in terms of the amount of content.

I love EAD Tokyo, but I've noticed a trend in their Mario games of trying to play off blatant filler as some sort of amazing bonus content. It ends up unnecessarily cheapening the experience imo. Sometimes leaving stuff on the cutting room floor is better than rehashing content.

the comets in the SMG games... you're right, they are filler and i don't know why they get a free pass. on the flip side, they are quite fun (well, SMG2's are) and i'd rather have them than not have them.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I picked this up at Best Buy's sale, initially planning to skip it because of all the negative impressions pre-release and, uh

This is the awful game everyone was complaining about? The one that controls like a truck and was EAD Tokyo's infamous first "miss"?

Because it seems pretty fine to me. I followed the pre-release hype (or anti-hype, as it were) closely and most people were really down on the game and for the life of me I can't figure out why. There was a Gamepro preview that Kat Bailey did (and I can't link because Gamepro is dead) that basically amounted to "This game is isometric and because of that does not play well."

If this is apparently a bad game, then I guess I have super low standards and am not sure I care.

I played it before release at a promotional event and it didn't play that well. I can't figure out what has changed but it is my GOTY so...

I haven't heard any criticisms about it from the press since its release, to be fair!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
All I know is it happens all the time in Ocarina of Time and it drives me crazy, so I'm not taking the chances elsewhere unless I have to.

I also prefer the window-looking-in idea. It's more bettererer.

Ugh, there you go, sounds like you have a bad case of Amirox-itis.
Stereo 3D is handled in a totally different way than OOT, seems to me you haven't even tried besides for 30 seconds.

•OOT works like :|>

•Mario with 3Dbox like |>

•Mario with 3Dpops like <|>

So you were so fiercely opposed to 3D even slightly helping out in the argument with Roto but you haven't actually played the game at all in the mode that actually gives such benefits? Oh well...

SmokyDave

TBH, I'm not all that big on the 'pop-out' style of 3D in M3D. I much prefer looking into my deep little window of joy. It just feels 'more' 3D, if that makes sense. Nice to see the option in there though, I can imagine it's much better for some people.

Santiako

Thanks to all the bad hype it got before release I picked up the game with lowered expectations and it blew me completely away, I find it even better than Galaxy. Top tier Mario game.

Sh0k

Thanks ! Just finish the last castle with Mario and now I can see the M and L icons near the yellow flag before selecting the levels. Any idea how many star coins you need to open up the last castle ? So far I have 307

So, is there any notable difference between the different colored Tonooki Leaves? Also, I hit one of those item boxes that pops up after you die a certain amount of times in a level, does this lock me out from anything since I used it?

Boken

Banned
So, is there any notable difference between the different colored Tonooki Leaves? Also, I hit one of those item boxes that pops up after you die a certain amount of times in a level, does this lock me out from anything since I used it?

You are already dead.jpg

Haha! That's precisely what I was saying! Seriously, what were people on? Even if I just played W1-1 I would know this game is awesome. I can't think of a time where people's initial impressions were almost all completely off like this.

Berordn

It's nothing important.
The stars on the file select screen which you unlock by reaching certain milestones will sparkle if you never die enough to see the boxes that contain those special items.

zigg

Personally, I think what there is great but it's definitely a little lacking in terms of content. The much lauded special worlds are okay, but they definitely feel repetitive at times, with a great sense of "I already played this level but now I need to do so with a 30 second time limit and the need to collect clocks, a purple doppleganger, or a 30 second time limit with the need to collect clocks and a purple doppleganger" to them.
Okay, but I vastly prefer this kind of "filler" to the bullshit that preceded it, that we only finally got rid of with Super Mario Galaxy 2—stuff like "collect 100 coins" or "search behind every rock for the red coins" or similar, even more boring forms of level reuse.

I have a real hard time criticizing what I've been given lately from EAD Tokyo.

I've been meaning to ask whatever happened to the "THERE"S ONLY 8-WAY CONTROL" and "WTF A DASH BUTTON THERE'S AN ANALOG STICK" folks.

SmokyDave

I've been meaning to ask whatever happened to the "THERE"S ONLY 8-WAY CONTROL" and "WTF A DASH BUTTON THERE'S AN ANALOG STICK" folks.

If I'm 100% honest, I don't really like the 8-way controls. I'm ok with the run button, the game speed etc.. but I don't dig the viewpoint and 8-way controls anywhere near as much as I enjoyed the classic 2D of NSMB. I'm not grumbling though because I'm not that bothered and I'm no real Mario connoisseur anyway.

Having said that, I never expressed any concerns before the game released so I don't think I qualify as one of 'those folks'.

ghibli99

Finally had some time to start this... currently in World 4. I've died quite a bit in this game, actually. Most of it has to do with getting the Star Medals, but I like that since it really forces me to be careful/precise. Even so, I'm almost at 100 stocked-up Marios. I've never found lives to be much of a concern in Mario games since even when you do Game Over, you're not really penalized, just inconvenienced a bit.

I'm really enjoying it, though.

i don't mind 8 way controls and a run button, but how do you guys feel about its momentum and general feel of the controls?
I find that on jumps I expect to make, I'll sometimes fall short. Seems like this happens more in 3D Land than previous Mario games. 90% of the time, I'm in the Tanooki suit, so the hover function helps out, but if I lose that, jumping seems a touch unforgiving, particularly if you don't have a lot of room to get your momentum going. Otherwise, it seems fine.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I don't like the 8-way controls either to be honest.
Run button was needed tho, circle pad wouldn't be precise enough, needs more room to go from walkimg to a full run like in the Galaxy games.

If there's one thing I don't like about the circle pad is the friction you sometimes get unless you're super careful to never press it slightly harder.

holy shit the last real super final stage

the game went from ridiculously easy to rip-out-my-hair hard instantly

oh my god i am such a MORON

I thought I had to run 'n' jump all along the "THANKYOU!!" tiles, but there's a fucking platform you can just ride to the end

i am so dumb

Don't feel bad, I did that too.

rhrhahghhghhhhh

I would have beaten the level about 70 tries earlier. Seriouslyyyy. ;_;

Once I figured that out, I tried to beat it with Mario, but all the timing I worked so hard to get down with Luigi DOES ME NO GOOD when Mario can't jump as far. Hah.

Also one of my biggest issues with this game is sometimes my "running start" goes instantly into full speed, and sometimes it's really slow. I'm 100% certain I have the run button held down for at least a second before I start moving. (They do that little animation.) I'm also 100% certain I'm pressing in the right direction. I'm also 100% certain I'm facing in the direction beforehand. I'm also 100% certain I'm pushing the slide pad all the way in that direction.

This fucked me over so many times on the last level, and, in fact, I'd say that's what caused the majority of my deaths throughout the game. That was the source of my rage. What the hell am I doing wrong?

Top Bottom