• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

He doesn't have an argument because he assumes all games are made alike which is NOT the case.

Here's the reasoning and justification for the 3D slider on this game

If you've played a game called Echo Chrome on the PS3, you understand that the concept of said game is that angles and perception can be manipulated within a 3D space. To clearly navigate your way through that game and it's 3D space, you have to manipulate the camera to get a fix on the visuals and understand where pieces stand in context to one another. Without manipulating the camera, you have no idea where you are going. Contrast this with Mario 64, game x,y, and z.

Now, Mario 3D Land is designed with this very same concept! Except here, instead of having a camera to manipulate, which you have in past 3D platofrmers, you have a 3D slider to help you understand the depth. So that is the key difference. It was explained very clearly by Nintendo and Iwata. This game was designed so that you use the 3D to understand your area, and not a camera.

I don't even know if you're being serious here. There's like what, five rooms in the game that are comparable to Echo Chrome?

I totally agree with you, those five rooms are easier to navigate with the 3D on. With it off, it probably would have taken me a whole few seconds to "get" the optical illusion. Which is totally possible, as you've pointed out yourself navigating optical illusions was the whole game in Echo Chrome. Humans are capable of understanding 3D space on a 2D screen, very easily.

But yeah, I really don't even get what you're saying here. There's a 3D slider "to help you understand the depth"? Yeah, you know, even with it off I'm somehow very able to tell where things are in relation to Mario.

Is there anyway to tell which levels you beat with Luigi?
After you beat the last level M and L icons should pop up next to the gold flags on the level select screen to indicate who you've beaten a level with.

Edit: I haven't read this thread in awhile, hadn't realized this won a VGA, though it isn't really surprising. What else was even nominated for best handheld game?

It'd be cool if they do away with the handheld category at some point. I lot of people in this thread have said 3D Land is one of their favorite games of the year, and I agree. It would have been really cool if it had been in the running for game of the year without the handheld stipulation.

Doubt it would have won with Skyrim, Batman, Uncharted, etc. out, but handheld games are starting to look and play a lot more like console games. Not necessarily exactly the same, as obviously 3D Land's levels are much more handheld-suited than Galaxy's for example, but as budgets for handheld games increase I think they'll start to stand toe to toe with console games.

ghibli99

Special 4-4... brilliant, just brilliant! I wish there were more stages like this. :) How people could say this game is a huge disappointment or too easy is a bit baffling to me. This is easily the best portable Mario game ever... it doesn't have a ton of competition, but still. Climbing my GOTY ladder for sure.

Steroyd

Special 4-4... brilliant, just brilliant! I wish there were more stages like this. :) How people could say this game is a huge disappointment or too easy is a bit baffling to me. This is easily the best portable Mario game ever... it doesn't have a ton of competition, but still. Climbing my GOTY ladder for sure.

I can sort of see where the too easy critiscism comes from, I didn't have much trouble with the game other than my own stupidity till world 8.

Now the Special stages hohoho boy, they were designed for Mario veterans in mind.

doze mad skillz

Reminds me of playing SM64, I used to exhaust every level finding all kinds of shortcuts and cool things to do.

Don't have that gaming spirit anymore :(

Haha, yeah, that video was fun to watch, and ten years ago I'd be super excited to learn how to do all that. Now it's more just interesting to see.

I had no idea you could do that thing where you do a roll jump in the Tanooki suit and Mario continuously spins, that one's pretty fun to use.

-KRS-

Some of these I was totally unaware of.

Super Mario 3D Land - Tips & Tricks #1

Well damn. I didn't even know you could do some of those moves. And was that a warp zone?! I feel a little spoiled by seeing that, but oh well it's just a warp zone lol. And that level where he climbs the outside wall to get to the top instead of going inside... that HAS to be deliberate by Nintendo right? I mean they even put a little platform in the middle of the wall and everything.

ghibli99

I can sort of see where the too easy critiscism comes from, I didn't have much trouble with the game other than my own stupidity till world 8.

Now the Special stages hohoho boy, they were designed for Mario veterans in mind.
The 'too easy' comment was meant in the context of the whole game, so the Special stages included. :) If we're just talking the first 8 worlds, then yeah, the challenge didn't really come in until worlds 7 and 8.

Just got through S8-4... had some kind of mental block on this level, since I kept making really dumb mistakes. Lost like 30+ lives. S8 in general has been fantastic, demanding of sharp focus. Also been very frustrating at times, but I've rarely felt like it was anything in the game that was causing it. The accomplishment you feel when you finally get all the medals and the gold flag is pretty damn significant, that's for sure!

Wait so I'm confused as to how you know you beat each level 100%... If I see an M, L, and a gold flag in the bottom right, im good?

Where do you see the M and L? That's one thing that is driving me nuts, as it seems there's no way
to determine if you've beat a level as Luigi or not. I want to use him for fun, but not if I have to manually keep track of what levels I've done with him

zoukka

Just got this and it's pretty good. The visuals are mindblowing really... So clean and the animation is way better than in SMG. This game has some of the best animations i've yet seen.

The controls aren't as good as in SMG, because of how the 3DS is shaped, but it's good enough. The 3D effect is great and I can't see myself ever turning it off.

Game is easy, but it's supposed to ramp up on the second round. The best thing about it is the fast pick up and play style that is completely missing from the SMG games imo... So many stupid and boring screens until you can actually play...

Chopper

Where do you see the M and L? That's one thing that is driving me nuts, as it seems there's no way
to determine if you've beat a level as Luigi or not. I want to use him for fun, but not if I have to manually keep track of what levels I've done with him

Finish the extra levels.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

You must beat all worlds (including special). Once you beat S8-bowser itll make you play w8-bowser. Beat that level again to see which brother you've completed the levels with.

Lijik

Just got this and it's pretty good. The visuals are mindblowing really... So clean and the animation is way better than in SMG. This game has some of the best animations i've yet seen.

Certainly in a Mario game.
Coming off of Rayman Origins to this I thought I was going to be a bit let down animation wise, but they really made Mario charming. The way he gets startled after some of the postcards is fun to watch every time.

zoukka

Certainly in a Mario game.
Coming off of Rayman Origins to this I thought I was going to be a bit let down animation wise, but they really made Mario charming. The way he gets startled after some of the postcards is fun to watch every time.

You can't really compare 2D and 3D animation directly.

The Koopa kids especially have this incredible smoothness to their motions. Holy shit I need a similarly structured Mario on WiiU.

So I got this game yesterday, or 2 days ago, finally. Anyway I've been really liking it. My quick thoughts:

- Still fun as hell, which is typical goodness from mario
- level design is good
- 3D is great
- I like collecting things!

My one negative:

- Game is definitely much easier than previous marios, and that's saying a lot these days.

Steroyd

Isn't that safe to assume? That a game would get more difficult as you progress? Just believe us.

The flaw, though, is that the game remains too easy for too long. Pretty much the first four worlds.

I'd go as far to say that the first 6-7 worlds are relatively easy, the only way you'd find levels from World 6 or above hard is if you're very stubborn in trying to get all the 3 coins in the levels.

ghibli99

I'd go as far to say that the first 6-7 worlds are relatively easy, the only way you'd find levels from World 6 or above hard is if you're very stubborn in trying to get all the 3 coins in the levels.
Yes, but why *wouldn't* you go for the 3 coins? Just to finish the game ASAP? I guess everyone plays games differently, but it's hard for me to go through a game like this and not go for those before moving on. As soon as I heard about the gold flag requirement, I went back and made sure to do those as well.

If you play sloppily, you'll die quite a bit (duh, right?). Sometimes flip-switch, red/yellow/blue timed, and green panel levels will just mess me up after getting frustrated and repeatedly making the same mistakes. That's when I have to walk away for a bit... but never for too long. ;)

Finished all the S worlds... that was awesome. Now doing the second and final loop with Luigi, which has been a lot of fun. Nice to not have to do anything but get through these quickly. It feels like a nice "break". Not sure if I'm looking forward to that final level or not. LOL

Yes, but why *wouldn't* you go for the 3 coins? Just to finish the game ASAP? I guess everyone plays games differently, but it's hard for me to go through a game like this and not go for those before moving on. As soon as I heard about the gold flag requirement, I went back and made sure to do those as well.

Just different play styles. Typically on my first run of a game, I'll get whatever collectables I can, but not go back if I miss them. If I really enjoyed the game, at the end, I'll go back to the levels and then try to get everything. Gives me good reason to explore the levels again, otherwise I tend to never return after I get everything.

Regular game worlds were fun, easy-ish and beautiful to look at.

Special worlds are just plain fun, and actually challenging.

The game is absolutely genius for this, and it's easily my favorite game for my 3DS.

Top Bottom