• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

How do you keep track of which levels have been beat by Luigi? I don't see a marker or anything.

Also, I'm sure this has been discussed before, but is Luigi any different? He seems faster?

Just saw this. So the L marker doesn't show up til S8 castle? I'll stop my Luigi playing now then.

It might not be necessary to clear every stage in the game with Luigi for the ML icons to appear on the screen i.e. you might be able to clear the last castle in W8 with both Mario & Luigi and unlock the icons. Sorry, I am sleep deprived so my memory of it is hazy despite having done it on three different save slots now. You could just try it and see if they come up. Then you can decide whether to continue as Luigi, either way.

senador

Banned
Jumps higher and further, less traction (Takes longer to come to a stop after running.)

Nice, that's what I thought. I think I prefer Luigi.

It might not be necessary to clear every stage in the game with Luigi for the ML icons to appear on the screen i.e. you might be able to clear the last castle in W8 with both Mario & Luigi and unlock the icons. Sorry, I am sleep deprived so my memory of it is hazy despite having done it on three different save slots now. You could just try it and see if they come up. Then you can decide whether to continue as Luigi, either way.

Cool thanks, I'll give it a try. I'll just go in order so as to not mess it up.

crispyben

I'm sure this has been answered over the course of this thread, but during the week-end I beat the game and
got started with the special worlds
. That's when I noticed this empty white circle in the middle right area of the screen when in level select. How do I fill it up?

Mike M

Nick N
I'm sure this has been answered over the course of this thread, but during the week-end I beat the game and
got started with the special worlds
. That's when I noticed this empty white circle in the middle right area of the screen when in level select. How do I fill it up?

Are you talking about the reserve item circle, or something else?

Just beat S-Crown. relief! I'm done.. I've loved the game but I can safely say I'll never do a five star save file on it ever again! I might have already shortened my life by doing it once!

I'm getting res evil delivered tomorrow so beating it now was good timing.

Yknow what... I think this is definitely my favourite post Super Nintendo, non Galaxy Mario title. It's easily the best handheld Mario. Before unlocking the Special worlds I was nowhere near feeling that way, but looking back on the amazing gameplay and challenges I just know I got every pennies worth...

There are going to be some amazing, acrobatic and impressive speed runs of some of the harder levels in this game.. I just know it.

I was re-organising the icons on my 3DS Home screens earlier and ended up re-watching the two SM3DL videos I had from the eShop. I was really surprised at how these pre-release promotional videos showed a game that was quite different from the finished game. All of the stages shown IIRC ended up in the final release but some of the item/enemy placements were different and the game camera was far more zoomed in and far less elevated than in the final release. At the time these videos came out the game looked done and ready for release to me but clearly not! :)

Just beat the special worlds for the first time, the ending
with Luigi was kind of funny. Almost like Princess Peach was cheating on Mario with him, haha.

Time to run through the whole game again but it should be pretty fast, not having to worry about coins and generally just being a bad ass at the game now.

Just finished the first half of the game.

That part with Bowser after you beat him on the bridge but then starts chasing you is the most exciting section in any Mario game...ever

senador

Banned
Yes, he certainly makes some stages easier and I prefer him for speedrunning when I'm trying to beat my rival times :).

Not sure what you mean by that but if you're happy then I'm happy :).

What I meant was I'll just continue finishing with Mario then start with Luigi to keep it clear in my head.

alazz

Does anyone know where the first star coin in S6-5, the Ghost House, is? I'm stumped. Must've played this level a dozen times and I still can't find it. Had it day one and it's the only level without all three. :(

No and nor do you have to get the gold flag again. Just complete each stage with both Mario and Luigi and get the gold medallions and gold flags with any combination of Mario and Luigi.
Thank you! This is a big relief.

That part with Bowser after you beat him on the bridge but then starts chasing you is the most exciting section in any Mario game...ever

You wait! Heh, heh, heh :).

What I meant was I'll just continue finishing with Mario then start with Luigi to keep it clear in my head.

Ah, I see, sorry :).

Does anyone know where the first star coin in S6-5, the Ghost House, is? I'm stumped. Must've played this level a dozen times and I still can't find it. Had it day one and it's the only level without all three. :(

Yes thank you :).

I expect you will kick yourself when you find it and say "How did I miss that?!" :)

Anyway, you know the ride you take on the platform with the < and > controls? Well take that ride to the very end before you retrace your route to the other end and jump off to a new platform and continue on in the stage. This one is understandably missed as you have sliding walls and awkwardly shaped Boos to distract you. Oh and a tanooki or boomerang power up helps here [once you have found it].

Thank you! This is a big relief.

Pleasure :). Replaying the same levels as Luigi without the distraction of accruing medallions or gold flags is rather freeing :).

jgkspsx

I'm still playing this. Just a level here and there. But, you know, this is probably the most I've liked Mario since the NES.

No endless levels, little confusion about where to go, and a constant stream of weird theme levels. I would buy another of these.

ghibli99

I'm still playing this. Just a level here and there. But, you know, this is probably the most I've liked Mario since the NES.

No endless levels, little confusion about where to go, and a constant stream of weird theme levels. I would buy another of these.
The more I think back on this game, the more I agree and believe Nintendo got just about everything right in terms of crafting the best handheld Mario experience so far. As I've said before, there are things I would have changed/enhanced (like making the Luigi playthrough more meaningful/challenging by placing the star medals in different places, or doing more with the 3D since it felt like that stuff was front-loaded), but overall, what a great effort.

I concur and am glad that you are enjoying it. Although a sequel is likely if it continues to sell well it is also very likely that we have DLC for this game to look forward to! :)

Epic Drop

Seriously, I don't think I've been able to feel my heart beating in my eye balls from pure excitement while playing a video game... EVER. But I did during that section!

I'm slowly working my way through the
Special
levels, and am already convinced that this is my favorite Mario game ever. Of course, I haven't played Galaxy 1 or 2 (as I don't have a Wii), which is probably some sort of a crime for a platforming lover like myself.

If you think you're good at this game, check out the videos on the eShop (under the Nintendo Direct section)

so many things I didn't know you could do

- umpteen ways to get infinite or multiple one ups
- quirky 1-ups: playing koopa shell keepy up with tanooki mario's tail gets you a one up, kicking a rock into a warp pipe does the same
- warp zone I hadn't bothered to find
- incredibly fast speed-runs showing off some nice short-cuts
- you can kill Thwomps and those flame-thrower things on the airships

olimpia84

Just finished grabbing all the coins in all the levels. Now all I have to do is get the missing gold flags and beat every level with Luigi to 100% complete the game.

Anteo

Just finished grabbing all the coins in all the levels. Now all I have to do is get the missing gold flags and beat every level with Luigi to 100% complete the game.

There's one extra stage that unlocks after doing all that.
Just like a final test.

olimpia84

There's one extra stage that unlocks after doing all that.
Just like a final test.

Yeah I knew about it and that drove to complete the game 100%
What I didn't know was how effing hard the level was going to be...damn I don't think I'll ever finish it. I'm even having problems using the Tanooki suits.

ghibli99

Yeah I knew about it and that drove to complete the game 100%
What I didn't know was how effing hard the level was going to be...damn I don't think I'll ever finish it. I'm even having problems using the Tanooki suits.
There are a few tricks to it, and you can definitely develop some mental blocks and repetition of bad habits if you try it too many times in a row. You'll finish it. A lot of folks said the same thing and they conquered it, so don't give up!

Anteo

I haven't finished that stage yet :lol.
For the first section, there is a part with many blocks that you have to walk over, but there is a little space beetween each one. You can just press run and walk over them, just like the original SMB, mario won't fall through the gaps.

Anteo

For the first section, there is a part with many blocks that you have to walk over, but there is a little space beetween each one. You can just press run and walk over them, just like the original SMB, mario won't fall through the gaps.

Edit : Wow an hour late double post, and I notice the day after. Fail

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Finished normal worlds with all coins and I'm doing
the special ones now
Finding coins was very easy so far,
I wonder if the later ones will give me problems...

All in all guess I'm with Yahtzee on this one - platforming in Rayman felt way better, but I never liked how Mario "slides". I wonder if I'll be able to get 100%...

olimpia84

I tried that the other day and it didn't work for me. I did it with Luigi so maybe that has something to do with it since he's a bit slower than Mario?

Anteo

I tried that the other day and it didn't work for me. I did it with Luigi so maybe that has something to do with it since he's a bit slower than Mario?

I think you need to be at full speed while landing to work, and no, I do it all the time with mario. Actually I haven't tried that stage with luigi.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I just have to say, I finally finished EVERYTHING with Mario
and now I'm working on doing it all with Luigi
. I just...wow. I put the game down for a while, but coming back to it has been a really pleasing experience.
I totally didn't expect that second run through the final castle after finishing all the special worlds. Really cool!

Now it's time to go finish every level one last time and see if I can't unlock this super hard level everyone is talking about. :) I really hope they make a sequel to this - next to Mario 64, this has to be my favorite Mario game to date.

Anteo

I just have to say, I finally finished EVERYTHING with Mario
and now I'm working on doing it all with Luigi
. I just...wow. I put the game down for a while, but coming back to it has been a really pleasing experience.
I totally didn't expect that second run through the final castle after finishing all the special worlds. Really cool!

Now it's time to go finish every level one last time and see if I can't unlock this super hard level everyone is talking about. :) I really hope they make a sequel to this - next to Mario 64, this has to be my favorite Mario game to date.

Get that final stage, it's great, I hope you're one of the few that can clear that stage.... =(

Acid08

Banned
Finally picked up a 3DS and this game. Super and and it's absolutely GORGEOUS. What an incredible looking game, the 3D adds a lot to its amazing look.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I meant to post this earlier...Took a break from RE:R to wrap up Luigi. Finally opened the secret level! Some of those jumps are just mean. Bah.

I'm ashamed as a Mario fan for not playing the game when it came out around November. When I started the game one or two weeks ago, I kept playing because the game is fun and looks beautiful. I just beat the game and
unlocked the special worlds. I finished 3 special worlds with Luigi and I need 5 more to go. The levels are challenging though.

Kjellson

This game is addictive as fuck. Bought it a couple days ago and already got five stars on my file. FUCK the last level though.

Also, does anyone else feel like they're seeing 3D on GAF? Sometimes I see text and avatars pop out, lol.

Anteo

This game is addictive as fuck. Bought it a couple days ago and already got five stars on my file. FUCK the last level though.

Also, does anyone else feel like they're seeing 3D on GAF? Sometimes I see text and avatars pop out, lol.

Haha, most of us had the same effect the first week after getting our 3ds. Enjoy Neogaf 3d!!!
It goes away sadly=/

I think I just finished the entire game!

Am I correct that this is the end:
Five stars & finished that "THANK YOU" level you unlock at the end

One thing I was wondering: is it just me or does the 3D really really help with judging jumps?

I've always been horrible at playing 3D platformers, but with this game it all just ..clicks.

I was wondering if it's the controls, the 3D or what.

Haha, most of us had the same effect the first week after getting our 3ds. Enjoy Neogaf 3d!!!
It goes away sadly=/

Lol I had that as well! Everything looked 3D to me for a while.

zigg

Am I correct that this is the end:
Five stars & finished that "THANK YOU" level you unlock at the end
Yup, unless your stars aren't sparkly, in which case you need to go back and start over and get them that way this time ;)

I do still pick at it myself, challenging my daughter to course times and StreetPassing occasionally.

One thing I was wondering: is it just me or does the 3D really really help with judging jumps?

I've always been horrible at playing 3D platformers, but with this game it all just ..clicks.

I was wondering if it's the controls, the 3D or what.
Controls (particularly the much-maligned 8-way lock), level design, and 3D all work together, I reckon.

Lol I had that as well! Everything looked 3D to me for a while.
You know where I'm at now? It hurts my eyes to play SML3D in 2D.

Anteo

Controls (particularly the much-maligned 8-way lock), level design, and 3D all work together, I reckon.
The 8-way lock depends on the stage, some stages, and some areas in certains stages remove the 8way lock, or make it a 16 way lock. It's really interesting. I don't have my cart with me to test it, but I think it was disscused in this thread. iirc in world 1-2 in the outside area you have full analog control.

You know where I'm at now? It hurts my eyes to play SML3D in 2D.

Yeah, my eyes expect to see some games in 3d and feel cross eyed when it's not.

zigg

The 8-way lock depends on the stage, some stages, and some areas in certains stages remove the 8way lock, or make it a 16 way lock.
Right. I should have said "where applicable." Though I wasn't consciously aware of the 16-way!

Anteo

Right. I should have said "where applicable." Though I wasn't consciously aware of the 16-way!

I think that is in one of the dessert stages, but I can't remember what stage was. What I find interesting is that byt doing this they change the rules of the game and the player don't even notice!! I know I didn't notice it until reading about it.

entremet

I'm really enjoying this game. It has definitely become one of my top 3 mario games. Reminds me a lot of SMB3, with its compact but varied stages.

Wow,i love this game,but i can't believe anybody really believe this game looks better than the galaxys,every level have 1/10 the texture variety of the galaxy games ,most levels are random generic blocky geometry forms.

zigg

Wow,i love this game,but i can't believe anybody really believe this game looks better than the galaxys,every level have 1/10 the texture variety of the galaxy games ,most levels are random generic blocky geometry forms.
The Galaxy twins have an impressive look to them, it's true, but this game is no slouch either. I've heard this "random generic blocks" complaint levelled more than a few times and I do not consider it a negative at all--it's not random; it's the true Mario motif.

3d land is the first truly great mario game made especially for a handheld in my opinion.
In my book, the Galaxy twins finally accomplished that, but the Galaxy games and this game are shooting for pretty different things. Galaxy explored lots of really unique and cool concepts but didn't always hit it out of the park (though, in 2, I'm hard-pressed to note anything that was actually mediocre or worse...); this game was just end-to-end quality with only one really ugh level.

Point is: both approaches are winners in my book.

Top Bottom