• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Dr.Hadji

I just beat World 8, and while overall I'm liking the game, the physics governing jumping are really irking the shit out of me. I'm constantly falling short on jumps I know I'd be making in any other Mario game, 3D or otherwise. He seems to lose a lot more forward momentum when jumping than he ever has before, which is bugging the hell out of me because I inevitably don't even come close to hitting the top of the flag pole without the tanooki suit, and end up falling down holes on really easy jumps.

There is a stark difference between run and max run in jump distances while the difference in their animations is slight. Try giving those jumps an extra half-second of run time and you should see the difference.

Just finished it!
Now my file has 4 nice and shiny stars.
I'm guessing for the fifth I just have to run through again as Luigi...?

So many highlights. I think this has my favourite Bowser showdown of all the Mario games, truly felt rather epic.

Beat the normal game few weeks ago. Loved this game so much and I can't wait to get into more of the extra levels. Really hope they make another one soon

I just beat World 8, and while overall I'm liking the game, the physics governing jumping are really irking the shit out of me. I'm constantly falling short on jumps I know I'd be making in any other Mario game, 3D or otherwise. He seems to lose a lot more forward momentum when jumping than he ever has before, which is bugging the hell out of me because I inevitably don't even come close to hitting the top of the flag pole without the tanooki suit, and end up falling down holes on really easy jumps.

Hold down the jump button.

Finally finished World 8 and got up to Sp 2-2 today

Don't know if I'll go OCD completionist with it as I have plenty of other titles to play. That being said, this is most definitely in my top 3 mario games, which are:

1. Mario Galaxy (still haven't played 2)
2. Super Mario World
3. Mario 3D Land

I only wish the game had more melodic music and I've always disliked the main theme. I always thought it was placeholder and was disappointed when it became the main one.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Just finished it!
Now my file has 4 nice and shiny stars.
I'm guessing for the fifth I just have to run through again as Luigi...?

So many highlights. I think this has my favourite Bowser showdown of all the Mario games, truly felt rather epic.

Absolutely, the last level was tense as anything. Though for me it is tied with the final Bowser fight in NSMB Wii.

Roto13

Finally finished World 8 and got up to Sp 2-2 today

Don't know if I'll go OCD completionist with it as I have plenty of other titles to play. That being said, this is most definitely in my top 3 mario games, which are:

1. Mario Galaxy (still haven't played 2)
2. Super Mario World
3. Mario 3D Land

I only wish the game had more melodic music and I've always disliked the main theme. I always thought it was placeholder and was disappointed when it became the main one.

If Galaxy is in your top 3 Mario games, you really need to play Galaxy 2. :p

I'm now on my third playthrough of the game :) looking to 100% it and get my five spangly stars without any cheaty game resets.

I have other games to play but this game just keeps drawing me back! :)

Mike M

Nick N
It's an exceedingly minor nitpick, but I really wish Nintendo would move beyond mushrooms and flowers for their new power ups. Giant Mushroom and Ice Flower made some sort of sense, I guess, but honey-bee mushroom, rock mushroom, propeller mushroom, cloud flower, boomerang flower... C'mon now.

Celine

I found it more difficult, personally.
How strange, as I suspected I used first time the tanooki suit and completed it at the first try.
Both with Luigi and Mario.
It's the first part really the hard section, rest is quite easy.

So I'm done with it after 25 well spent hours.

Time to dig fully MK7 and soon RER.

Forkball

The hardest Shadow Mario level for me was the one with the boxes that disappear according to the beat. That level was tough enough as it was.

The hardest Shadow Mario level for me was the one with the boxes that disappear according to the beat. That level was tough enough as it was.
I was just coming into this thread to say this very thing. I've got four stars, all medallions and flags, just need to beat a few levels with luigi to get access to crown... Those shadow Mario levels with the musical beat platforms and the later ones where he grows are a bitch. I thought the special world airship where you fight both boom boom and his female equivalent amongst the dropping platforms was tough too.. so glad I got all medallions and the flag when I eventually beat that one!

Anyway, amazing game. Truly brilliant replayability. I'll be sad when its over I think...

A good trick for most flagpoles without the tanooki suit is to do a roll jump... Not too far beyond the edge of the high platform near the pole: Crouch, roll, jump. It's the new long jump, man, its awesome.

Indeed. Better in just about every way except for possibly the music. Still great stuff, but it doesn't quite reach the highs of SMG1.

It greatly outshines SMG, imo. SMG didn't get interesting until the 4th world and most of the final world had a lot of recycled levels. SMG 2 got to the interesting stuff around world 2 and was overall much better designed. I think 3D Land is far superior to Galaxy and I can't wait for a second one.

zigg

How strange, as I suspected I used first time the tanooki suit and completed it at the first try.
Both with Luigi and Mario.
It's the first part really the hard section, rest is quite easy.
It just really ruined my rhythm. Maybe I'm unique in this regard; it certainly isn't a common sentiment in this thread at least. :)

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
S8+ levels are awesome. They help me get motivated to catch the dreaded star coins. Yes, this game is amazing. Much better than the New SMB games and on par with Galaxy 2 for me. So good.

ghibli99

It greatly outshines SMG, imo. SMG didn't get interesting until the 4th world and most of the final world had a lot of recycled levels. SMG 2 got to the interesting stuff around world 2 and was overall much better designed. I think 3D Land is far superior to Galaxy and I can't wait for a second one.
The Galaxy games are such unique experiences, though, and many of the ideas in 3D Land were derived from what Nintendo did in those two games. If anything, I see 3D Land as the perfect distilling down of those ideas into handheld form, but Galaxy remains my top choice. Then again, me saying that one is better than the other is like trying to pick which Studio Ghibli film is the best.

It just occurred to me that, right at the point where I just have to re-do the Special Worlds for the fifth star, that I never once used the roll through the entire game!
Well except for on the one level where you have to roll through blocks to get a Star Medal. After that I forgot the ability was even there. They really should've just left the triple jump in rather than add the useless roll

S8+ levels are awesome. They help me get motivated to catch the dreaded star coins. Yes, this game is amazing. Much better than the New SMB games and on par with Galaxy 2 for me. So good.

I wouldn't say that it's on par with Galaxy 2. It's fun, but the Galaxy games have some sort of nice majestic feel around them. In Galaxy 1 and 2 you're doing great platforming with incredible orchestra playing in the background and are taking in breathtaking views from the scenery as you fly from planet to planet. Whereas here you constantly have a platforming section to accomplish with little to nothing in between. It's good platforming, but I'd enjoy it more if it was like Galaxy. But then again, this is a handheld, and I pretty much expected something like this. I personally think that it's slightly better than NSMB.

Can't wait to see how Nintendo will accomplish a full 3-D Mario game on the Wii U.

Cynosure

I just saw this and found it adorably funny

8S0TC.png

:3

Marlowe89

Just unlocked S8-Crown today and promptly beat it with both Mario and Luigi. It was a tough level, but not anywhere near impossible.

What an amazing game.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I just saw this and found it adorably funny

http://i.imgur.com/8S0TC.png[IMG]

:3[/QUOTE]For me it's a double edged sword, because now I only want these kind of games on 3DS. I was playing the RE:R demo and it did absolutely nothing for me :/

Chance is very slim many people outside Nintendo will make 3D platformers again, but they really should

I was just coming into this thread to say this very thing. I've got four stars, all medallions and flags, just need to beat a few levels with luigi to get access to crown... Those shadow Mario levels with the musical beat platforms and the later ones where he grows are a bitch. I thought the special world airship where you fight both boom boom and his female equivalent amongst the dropping platforms was tough too.. so glad I got all medallions and the flag when I eventually beat that one!

Anyway, amazing game. Truly brilliant replayability. I'll be sad when its over I think...

Don't be sad mate :(. Just start a new playthrough on a new save file slot :).

It seems we share tricky stages :). I had all sorts of trouble with some of the shadow Mario levels, especially on levels that I found tricky anyway e.g. the musical beat disappearing platforms stages, until I remembered that trying to outrun him to get away from him was futile. So now I tend to walk on those stages and only run when I need to to make a jump or other manoeuvre. It makes it much easier. Also, remember that he mimics your moves so even on a small platform it's easy enough to walk around on it without colliding into him. I do this on the aforementioned platform stage if I have to wait for the platform to appear and can't just stand waiting as he will run into me. Also, on the castle stage where he is huge and you have to keep getting more time to extend your dwindling level clock or you will die, he is very handy for clearing obstacles and walls if you manoeuvre him correctly. That particular level is hardest at the beginning but once you are near the end it is easy as he will just clear all the walls for you if you walk slowly and carefully and manipulate his movement :).

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm currently renting this game from gamefly and planned on beating it today, and sending it back tomorrow, so I could get my next game. I than, got all the coins in World 1 and managed to beat the entire S World. I noticed there wasn't any spectacular ending to the S World so I looked it up, and it wants me to..

Have all stages cleared with both Mario and Luigi, and have gotten a Golden Flagpole on each level
Obtain all 285 Star Medals, not including the ones from Mystery Boxes

Man, that's just too much work. I'll probably just send it back because I really want the next game in my q. Really fun game though, it's easily a 9/10 for me.

ghibli99

Man, that's just too much work. I'll probably just send it back because I really want the next game in my q. Really fun game though, it's easily a 9/10 for me.
It isn't really, unless you were just running through the game w/ Mario as quickly as possible to beat it without getting the star medals along the way. The Luigi playthrough is quick, and it doesn't matter which character you use to get the gold flags.

In fact, I wish Nintendo would've placed the star medals differently for the Luigi playthrough. Would've given the game even more legs. Perhaps in SM3DL2. :)

Mike M

Nick N
Not super keen on having to play through the entire game AGAIN as Luigi to unlock the last world/level/whatever. All the coins and gold flags is one thing, but c'mon now... At least it shouldn't take too terribly long since everything else is already done.

I'm moderately disappointed with the offerings of the Special Worlds. At first it seemed like a 50/50 split of rejiggered of preexisting levels and new content, but the the original levels slowly dwindled to nothing but remixed levels, and even THOSE got used multiple times in some instances.

It also didn't really add anything new that we haven't seen before, aside from Giant Cosmic Mario, who even then wasn't that much of a change.

Still a great game, but I would definitely place it well behind NSMBW and SMG1/2.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
when I go through all the levels with Luigi again, do I have to obtain the three coins with him as well?

when I go through all the levels with Luigi again, do I have to obtain the three coins with him as well?

No and nor do you have to get the gold flag again. Just complete each stage with both Mario and Luigi and get the gold medallions and gold flags with any combination of Mario and Luigi.

I completed this this morning, just in time to unwrap Resident Evil.
Feels satisfying to 100% this as 8-crown was kicking my ass at first! I kept dying at the green tiles, I didn't realise you could simply stand on the yellow platform :(
My total playtime was 22:22 and I finished losing less than 100 lives!
Great game, 2nd best on the system after Ocarina.

Just getting going with the game myself, but I'm having a blast. I'm at world 4, and I really like the pick up and play in bite-sized chunks design that is inherent with the timed levels. I can turn my 3DS on, play a level, and be done in like 5-7 minutes, which with my schedule is a very welcome characteristic. Overall though, a fantastic game so far. The airship with the spiked posts coming at the screen is awesome to see in 3D...

Mike M

Nick N
How can you tell if you have beat a level with luigi, mario or both?

In the lower right corner, there's an M, L, and gold flag for every level on the map screen.

I think it only appears after beating the final castle in World 8 after beating all the special worlds.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So wait wait wait...

I beat the last S-8 level. Have around 290+ coins. If I beat the whole game with Luigi i get another final world?

senador

Banned
No and nor do you have to get the gold flag again. Just complete each stage with both Mario and Luigi and get the gold medallions and gold flags with any combination of Mario and Luigi.

How do you keep track of which levels have been beat by Luigi? I don't see a marker or anything.

Also, I'm sure this has been discussed before, but is Luigi any different? He seems faster?

In the lower right corner, there's an M, L, and gold flag for every level on the map screen.

I think it only appears after beating the final castle in World 8 after beating all the special worlds.

Just saw this. So the L marker doesn't show up til S8 castle? I'll stop my Luigi playing now then.

Top Bottom