• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

I found it more difficult, personally.

I find some levels more difficult with the suit; it throws off my timing. I still haven't tried the last level yet. Trying to rush through my current save file so I can restart for a 'no cheat' run [and I am consequently doing a very bad job of it :/]. However, I like how the rival times on this run are from my previous run on another save file slot :).

I honestly like this game more than Galaxy. Had no idea it would be this good, and I have to admittedly eat crow, because I was ever so slightly against it before playing. Didn't think it would really fit into the realm of a true mario platformer.

Boy was I completely and utterly wrong to a LARGE degree...

I honestly like this game more than Galaxy. Had no idea it would be this good, and I have to admittedly eat crow, because I was ever so slightly against it before playing. Didn't think it would really fit into the realm of a true mario platformer.

Boy was I completely and utterly wrong to a LARGE degree...

Oh me too :). It provides much of what I like about the 2D and 3D Marios whilst removing most of what I don't like from both. It may well turn out to be my favourite Mario of them all.

Marlowe89

So wait, is it impossible to unlock the very last level in the game if I used the super tanooki suit even once? I used it on one particular level, having no idea what it was until I figured out that I was essentially invincible.

Roto13

So wait, is it impossible to unlock the very last level in the game if I used the super tanooki suit even once? I used it on one particular level, having no idea what it was until I figured out that I was essentially invincible.

No, you can still unlock the last level. The only thing that suit does is remove the sparkle from the stars on your save file.

jkoch

No, you can still unlock the last level. The only thing that suit does is remove the sparkle from the stars on your save file.

Oh good. My kid somehow quit his game and started up mine, and used the white tanooki suit. I guess I can live without the sparkly star as long as I can still get the final level.

Has anyone done this w/o quitting/resetting?

Well deaths in the Special Worlds don't count against that so as long as the player doesn't die in the first 8 worlds, which is not that hard, it should be eminently possible.

According to my Activity Log, I have put over 60 hours into this game so far. I hope Nintendo release new levels/challenges for this as DLC. Looking at the gaps in the bottom screen maps I have to wonder if they programmed the game with this in mind. I hope so! I'm currently on my second playthrough and I'm sure that won't be my last playthrough but I would welcome more content if that is possible. It would certainly be a good way to promote the 3DS DLC facility [when it becomes available] given how well this title has sold and will no doubt continue to sell throughout the life of the 3DS.

Game finally arrived from Amazon today and I just finished playing the first world. I'm having a great time with this, it's nice to play a Mario game again and it's a much needed change of pace from all of the ridiculously violent games I've been playing on the various home consoles.

olimpia84

Got to W7 today. Should be able to get to W8 and perhaps beat the regular levels. So far I like this more than the Galaxy games!

ghibli99

How does I get special last level?
Get all the star medals, beat every stage w/ both characters, and get gold flags on every stage (only have to do this w/ one character or the other). Mystery box medals don't count... you have to get all the stage-specific ones.

When it shows you your best time beneath each stage, some times are in gold whilst others are in white.
Are there target times for each stage and breaking them gives you a gold time?

When it shows you your best time beneath each stage, some times are in gold whilst others are in white.
Are there target times for each stage and breaking them gives you a gold time?

That is my interpretation of it, yes. Does it show any 'rival' times for you? If you Street Pass another owner of the game you will swap times and each of your times will show up for the other as 'rival' times. I am not sure if this happens automatically or if each has to configure to allow it. Sorry, can't remember. It's a Nintendo spin on the idea of a leaderboard and I find it rather fun :). Interestingly, if you start a second save file you first save file times will show up as your rival if that is the top time on that stage i.e. you don't have a Street Pass rival time better than your first save file time on that stage. When I first noticed the difference in colour in the stage times I went through them all to ensure they were all in gold but ymmv.

zigg

I have all yellow times, which I achieved by beating all my rivals.

The weird thing is that I seem to be my own rival on many courses. I think this might have something to do with the fact that I'm sharing my game card with my daughter and we're both StreetPassing. We give each other Mystery Boxes a lot (another interesting bit: you share the same Mystery Box every time you StreetPass someone until the next time you play the game), but apparently we also share clear times for all save files on the card?

Ahh yes the white times were on stages where I was losing to my rivals.
My nephew has a save file on the same cart and I'd Streetpassed a couple of other Mario players without realising.
I've beat them all now though :D
Well except for a few stages that have no times listed, not even my own. Hmmm.......?

So I finished the (standard) game today and I have all coins and gold flags on the standard levels and now gold times too.
On my save file I have two sparkling starts and just unlocked Luigi. I've read you need to complete the whole game as Luigi too but when I replay levels with him there's no indication that I have done so. Do I need to finish the special stages as Mario first?

Ahh yes the white times were on stages where I was losing to my rivals.
My nephew has a save file on the same cart and I'd Streetpassed a couple of other Mario players without realising.
I've beat them all now though :D
Well except for a few stages that have no times listed, not even my own. Hmmm.......?

So I finished the (standard) game today and I have all coins and gold flags on the standard levels and now gold times too.
On my save file I have two sparkling starts and just unlocked Luigi. I've read you need to complete the whole game as Luigi too but when I replay levels with him there's no indication that I have done so. Do I need to finish the special stages as Mario first?

Did you die on the level and use the checkpoint to continue? I think that negates any time being listed but I'm tired and am getting myself confused with gold flags so am happy to be corrected :).

You need to complete a certain level at the end of the game before the game will indicate to you if you have cleared a stage with Mario, Luigi or both. You don't have to complete every single stage with either brother to unlock this indication; merely unlock enough medallions to open up the next stages to continue. Clearing every stage in the game with both brothers, all medallions and all gold flags is only relevant if you want to unlock the bonus, extra, uber hard level [similar to the one in SMG2] and/or you are a completionist :).

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
So I got a StreetPass today from someone with 2 stars above their Mii Icon -- I suppose this means they have two stars on their save... and that my Mii has 5 stars (flashing?) on his Mystery Box...

The Mystery Box was interesting -- about 20 Super Leaves and a P-Wing.

zigg

So I got a StreetPass today from someone with 2 stars above their Mii Icon -- I suppose this means they have two stars on their save... and that my Mii has 5 stars (flashing?) on his Mystery Box...
Yup, it works exactly like that. Sparkles and all.

Got that one myself a few times. The last time, I maintained the presence of mind to save the P-Wing since I'd never seen one before. Took it out in S8-Crown (which I'd already cleared, of course), used it, was quite disappointed. :lol

Hm, I don't believe any of my StreetPass Miis have ever had any stars above them. They seem to come and go though so I'm not sure I really understand how it all works. I am yet to get past their first gift too.

So did it just give you loads of points for those? I presume that it didn't allow to use/keep more than the normal 2 upgrades i.e. one in use now and one for later?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Hm, I don't believe any of my StreetPass Miis have ever had any stars above them. They seem to come and go though so I'm not sure I really understand how it all works. I am yet to get past their first gift too.
So did it just give you loads of points for those? I presume that it didn't allow to use/keep more than the normal 2 upgrades i.e. one in use now and one for later?

Yep, just lots of coins -- but as I already have triple crowns, that didn't do much.

I'm starting to wish I hadn't used the "1up trick" in the underground stage. Before doing so, I had about 530 extra lives -- it might have been interesting to see how long it would have taken to get a triple crown without using any tricks. However, now there is no way to lose 400+ lives without my "lives used" counter going up like crazy...

Yep, just lots of coins -- but as I already have triple crowns, that didn't do much.

I'm starting to wish I hadn't used the "1up trick" in the underground stage. Before doing so, I had about 530 extra lives -- it might have been interesting to see how long it would have taken to get a triple crown without using any tricks. However, now there is no way to lose 400+ lives without my "lives used" counter going up like crazy...

Triple crowns?! I know not of what you speak sir!

Heh, I've never been able to do the "1up trick" so my 600+ lives on my current playthrough are just from accumulating a lot of them :).

I'm at 320 lives and am only on S3-2 and yet to go through the game again as Luigi so perhaps I'll have a chance of a legit triple crown...? I've already lost 61 lives though, most of them by stupidly trying to look for shortcuts :D

zigg

I just hit 800 1UPs the other day, having never used a "trick". Unless you count the fact that StreetPassed Mystery Boxes spew 1UPs. Been playing since launch.

Triple crowns?! I know not of what you speak sir!
Max out your 1UPs, and you'll get crowns instead of a counter on your save file, as I understand it.

I just hit 800 1UPs the other day, having never used a "trick". Unless you count the fact that StreetPassed Mystery Boxes spew 1UPs. Been playing since launch.

Max out your 1UPs, and you'll get crowns instead of a counter on your save file, as I understand it.

Oh, nice :). They seem to have really thought of little extras in this game that O.C.D. types will want to shoot for :).

So max 1 UPs is 999 I presume? If so then I'm 2/3 of the way there! :D

Up to Special World 5! The game told me I should take a break and for once I actually listened, otherwise my entire day will end up gone.
This game is so amazing! Whilst it's not better than OoT, in terms of original games it's the best on 3DS by far!

ghibli99

Really? What a curious number to pick! Is it known whether it has any particular significance [in Japanese I take it]?

Oh and thanks :).
No problem. Not sure if there's any significance to it beyond the fact that they needed some way to visually represent numbers beyond 999 without displaying 4 digits.

I'm playing the special worlds with my nephew taking turns, it's a lot of fun.

How do I know which worlds I've got the golden flag for? Is there an indication for that on the map?

olimpia84

Is there any way to know which levels you have beaten with Mario and Luigi? Because I've read that in order to unlock the last level you have to beat all levels with both of them, get all them star medals and golden flags correct?

Thanks. I don't know why I was looking for it on the bottom screen only!

Pleasure :). Force of habit! That sort of info is often on the bottom screen after all.

Is there any way to know which levels you have beaten with Mario and Luigi? Because I've read that in order to unlock the last level you have to beat all levels with both of them, get all them star medals and golden flags correct?

Correct. You don't need to go that far to get the game to indicate on each level which character you have cleared a stage with however. Without being too spoilerific....once you clear the last level in the S stages the game will ask you to re-play one of the stages in the first 8 worlds. Clear that with both characters and you will be able to see this indication on the top screen next to the gold flag icon.

olimpia84

Correct. You don't need to go that far to get the game to indicate on each level which character you have cleared a stage with however. Without being too spoilerific....once you clear the last level in the S stages the game will ask you to re-play one of the stages in the first 8 worlds. Clear that with both characters and you will be able to see this indication on the top screen next to the gold flag icon.

I see, thanks for clearing that up

Portugeezer

Just got to World 3.

Game is pretty good, nowhere near the best Mario game, feels like they just rushed out a Mario game for the holidays but it has enough charm and ingenuity to keep me playing.

Wolfe

Just got to World 3.

Game is pretty good, nowhere near the best Mario game, feels like they just rushed out a Mario game for the holidays but it has enough charm and ingenuity to keep me playing.

Interesting, compared to all the other 3DS games I've played besides MK7 it's definitely one of the most polished. If they had truly rushed it out I imagine they would have done it sooner than almost a year into the consoles life.

Kokonoe

Banned
Has anyone actually fallen for the cardboard pipes/shrooms? Even with 3D it's just so blatantly obvious heh.

I'm halfway through the special worlds currently, and I have to say this game is growing on me more and more each day. At first I was like like "meh", but the more challenging the game got, the more of a kick I was getting from playing it.

Mike M

Nick N
I just beat World 8, and while overall I'm liking the game, the physics governing jumping are really irking the shit out of me. I'm constantly falling short on jumps I know I'd be making in any other Mario game, 3D or otherwise. He seems to lose a lot more forward momentum when jumping than he ever has before, which is bugging the hell out of me because I inevitably don't even come close to hitting the top of the flag pole without the tanooki suit, and end up falling down holes on really easy jumps.

Top Bottom