• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

zigg

ok. maybe i should clarify what i meant... i was saying that out of the mario platformers that have been made especially for handheld consoles (super mario land 1&2, new super mario bros for the ds, and 3d land) i think that 3d land is the first truly great game.
Oh, I think I know where the confusion is. You said "especially", which means "particularly" or "to a great extent"; I think you may have meant "specially", meaning exclusive.

Oh, I think I know where the confusion is. You said "especially", which means "particularly" or "to a great extent"; I think you may have meant "specially", meaning exclusive.

"Used to single out one person, thing, or situation over all others"

I was just as confused as Minasu when you started talking about Galaxy. X:

90sRobots

Got all the coins, currently going through as Luigi and nabbing any golden flagpoles I missed. Even though the game has already showed me everything it can, I am noticing one aspect that will keep my coming back more and more:

Getting best clear times with Streetpass opponents.

Holy shit this game is not complete unless there aren't yellow numbers next to my Mii on EVERY SINGLE LEVEL.

Mistle

I think I'm enjoying this game more now, a few months after I 100%'d it. I just pop it in for a level or two then turn it off. It's still not as good as previous Mario games to me (feels a bit simple) but highly enjoyable.

zigg

Got all the coins, currently going through as Luigi and nabbing any golden flagpoles I missed. Even though the game has already showed me everything it can, I am noticing one aspect that will keep my coming back more and more:

Getting best clear times with Streetpass opponents.

Holy shit this game is not complete unless there aren't yellow numbers next to my Mii on EVERY SINGLE LEVEL.
Yeah, I hit someone with a probably a dozen or so better times a couple days ago, and now I'm rerunning levels again. Good stuff.

ghibli99

Seriously. I'm not a big speedrun/leaderboard guy either.

Best Mario game since Super Mario World. Fuck the haters.
Doesn't seem like there's too many haters anymore. This was one of those games that seemed to get a lot of negative traction early on from some rather vocal members, but as more people played through the entire game, they saw how good it actually was. My favorite game from last year, up there with Portal 2.

Farmboy

Get that final stage, it's great, I hope you're one of the few that can clear that stage.... =(

I found it to be really quite easy if you come in as a silver-leaf tanooki with another silver-leaf in reserve. The fluttering helps you with the tricky jumps and turning into a statue makes the moving lift section a breeze. I think I wasted more lives in other Special-8 levels, truth be told.

A non-power-up run is a real challenge, though.

zigg

I found it to be really quite easy if you come in as a silver-leaf tanooki with another silver-leaf in reserve. The fluttering helps you with the tricky jumps and turning into a statue makes the moving lift section a breeze. I think I wasted more lives in other Special-8 levels, truth be told.

A non-power-up run is a real challenge, though.
I still found it more fluid to play with no Leaf. Yeah, I died a few times, but there's no rhythm with the Leaf in play.

Chuckpebble

I still found it more fluid to play with no Leaf. Yeah, I died a few times, but there's no rhythm with the Leaf in play.

Yeah, this. I had a harder time landing those single blocks with the leaf, whereas I could just memorize the hang time I needed with out it and stick the landing pretty consistently.

Anteo

Yeah, this. I had a harder time landing those single blocks with the leaf, whereas I could just memorize the hang time I needed with out it and stick the landing pretty consistently.

Me too. For some reason the leaf just mess up my timing.

zigg

Amazed to find agreement. Usually that sentiment of mine is unpopular here :D

Anyway, I got all my yellow times back, including one on S8-4 I didn't know my nine-year-old daughter had beaten me on. Until next time!

The levels was clearly designed to the rhythm of leaf-less Mario, but even so, leaf Mario was easier to adjust to than leaf-less Luigi. Man.

Anteo

The levels was clearly designed to the rhythm of leaf-less Mario, but even so, leaf Mario was easier to adjust to than leaf-less Luigi. Man.

There are some levels where if you want to speed run them, you have to do it with leaf-less mario in places where precise plataforming is needed, like landing between a spike and a pit. Speed Running this game made me apreciate it even more

There are some levels where if you want to speed run them, you have to do it with leaf-less mario in places where precise plataforming is needed, like landing between a spike and a pit. Speed Running this game made me apreciate it even more

The plural "levels" in my post was a typo. I was really only referring to the last super-ultra level. But yeah it does apply to others, too.

zigg

Funny story.

I lost 50-100 Marios running it over and over and over, right? Then I finally did it (yay!), and I switched to Luigi.

Got it first try.

I finally got all five shiny stars
and beat the secret final level
today after getting the game at launch. I initially only made it to around World 4, so I started a new file about a week ago and finished the final stage just a few moments ago. Definitely a terrific Mario game.

I thought it was a smidgen on easy side though. The difficulty never made it to a point where I would die more than once or twice (if at all) my first time through any level. The special levels were a little underwhelming too. Just remixes of the standard levels with something like
Shadow Mario chasing you
, or a low time limit with extensions scattered about. I can't think of any section that gave me trouble, especially when I had the opportunity to float over many obstacles with the Tanooki suit.

I guess if anything, easier levels make it more fun to do speed runs. My
Luigi playthrough
was crazy fast. The shortcuts I found were tons of fun and really made me appreciate the level design.

The entire game is well put together and very polished. Though I guess I shouldn't expect any less after the Galaxy games!

entremet

Man at that secret level. Everytime I think it is over; there's another crazy section.

Update: Okay I beat with Mario. Does beating it with Luigi do anything?

entremet

Finally unlocked the final level.

This is not going to be easy without a tanooki leaf. And the shitty 3DS circle pad.

I found it easier without the Tanooki leaf, tbh. Especially the beginning section. The leaf only helps in regards to the extra hits you gain-->Leaf Mario>Super Mario>Mario. You can get Fireflowers instead.

Anth0ny

I found it easier without the Tanooki leaf, tbh. Especially the beginning section. The leaf only helps in regards to the extra hits you gain-->Leaf Mario>Super Mario>Mario. You can get Fireflowers instead.

Agreed.

and holy fuck at this difficulty spike. No checkpoints is murder! Where was this during the actual game?
dodging falling bob ombs on that green arrow platform thing
wasn't in any other stage, was it? Such a cool hazard.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Tanooki makes the moving platform section a non-factor, by just going into the statue the entire time, which can be helpful for some people. Last level was great. I hope some people challenge themselves and replay without power-ups at some point, which would change the complexion of the entire game.

Yagharek

I just finished it today. Am I correct in assuming 5 stars on the save file is it?

Also, that last level was nuts. So rewarding to get to the end but I was scared I would make a silly mistake right at the end.

entremet

I just finished it today. Am I correct in assuming 5 stars on the save file is it?

Also, that last level was nuts. So rewarding to get to the end but I was scared I would make a silly mistake right at the end.

5 stars it is. If you want be hardcore, go for the shiny stars if you missed it in this playthrough.

Ha. No chance of that happening, given the final level!

You have nothing to worry about. I should have been more specific:

Don't have a super/help item block appear. It will only appear if you die five or more times in a row in the same level. Thankfully, the item doesn't appear in the final level so you can die as many times as you want

Finally 4 stared it, now to replay all the stages
cant believe I have hit 17hours, longest played a mario platform game since old snes days

Sleepy

Working on the Special Worlds right now. To unlock every level I have to: Grab all three coins in the levels, beat every level with Luigi, and get yellow flags on every level...is that it?

Game is awesome. For some reason I rushed like crazy to finish the main game, but now I am just playing a few levels a day. Much more fun just to take my time.

ghibli99

Working on the Special Worlds right now. To unlock every level I have to: Grab all three coins in the levels, beat every level with Luigi, and get yellow flags on every level...is that it?

Game is awesome. For some reason I rushed like crazy to finish the main game, but now I am just playing a few levels a day. Much more fun just to take my time.
Yep, all 3 coins + the M, L, and Flag icons for all stages. Have fun!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Oh My God I just got this game. This is the game I thought Super Mario 64 would be back in 1996.

Super motherfucking nostalgia right now. A bit on the easy side though.

I love this game. For people saying it's too easy, the difficulty is perfect for a noob like me. Looks like Valve took a master class from Nintendo when making Portal 1 & 2, because the similarities in design philosophy are very very obvious.

Also there are 2 changes from NSMB DS which are a loooooong time coming which make the game way better for me- saving after every level for free (THANK YOU GOD), and "default" Mario is Super Mario (YES!). Those archaic-as-hell mechanics made me want to tear my hair out when beating NSMB DS. Now just waiting for Nintendo to take out the "X lives" holdover from 1984.

On top of that the 3D effect is so beautifully used. I still mostly hate the 3D on other games, but this game made me a believer. I actually leave it on all the time because it enhances the gameplay a LOT, making it way cooler and easier to navigate the 3d environments.

Most fun game I've played in a while. Only complaint is stupid gating content by stars.

zigg

Nope. Most complaints are that it's too easy for the first "half" of the game.
That's the complaint I keep hearing too. And even that's really bogus in my view—the whole game is one nice long smooth curve... which IMO is a pretty awesome achievement.

Plus, I think if it were really so easy, I'd be seeing far more sparkly stars in StreetPass. Not everyone who gets this game is already a Mario minor deity.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Galaxy 2 > 3D Land > Galaxy, and only because 3D Land is so short. I appreciate the fact that there's no stupid arse "go collect these things so that you can get these other things" missions. It's all pure Mario platforming, going from point A to point B.

I only need to unlock the final level now.

ghibli99

Plus, I think if it were really so easy, I'd be seeing far more sparkly stars in StreetPass. Not everyone who gets this game is already a Mario minor deity.
And of those sparklies, I wonder how many are done legit without restarting/reloading?

With NSMB 2 being released in August, is there anything it could learn from 3DLand in terms of level design, power ups, ect? Sure, one is a 3D platformer, the other traditional, but they're both successors to SMB 3 and 3DLand played a lot like a 2D game in a 3D world. If you read Hayashida's recent interview with Gamasutra, one of the keys for taking the series back to its roots was Miyamoto's love for classic four panel comic strips (this interview is a great read overall, btw):

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/168460/the_structure_of_fun_learning_.php

"But it wasn't really until Super Mario 3D Land that I think I really became a lot more rigorous about enforcing that in level design, where you have a clear concept in the beginning, and that's carried through absolutely all the way.

Why do you think that that's important?

KH: Well, I think it has a lot to do with the acquisition of a skill, which is something that often appears very similar to the way that a narrative can develop. So, if you take a single gameplay element, let's think about the steps that happen.

First, you have to learn how to use that gameplay mechanic, and then the stage will offer you a slightly more complicated scenario in which you have to use it. And then the next step is something crazy happens that makes you think about it in a way you weren't expecting. And then you get to demonstrate, finally, what sort of mastery you've gained over it.

It's very similar to a narrative structure that you find in four-panel comics. Something that's talked a lot about in Japanese manga, for example, is a phrase, kishoutenketsu, where you introduce a concept, and then in the next panel you develop the idea a little bit more; in the third panel there's something of a change-up, and then in the fourth panel you have your conclusion.

So that's sort of what we try to do with the way people relate to gameplay concepts in a single level. We provide that concept, let them develop their skills, and then the third step is something of a doozy that throws them for a loop, and makes them think of using it in a way they haven't really before. And this is something that ends up giving the player a kind of narrative structure that they can relate to within a single level about how they're using a game mechanic.

Did you actually seek to take that concept from manga and apply it to games, or did you just coincidentally realized that it fit after you'd already developed the concept in parallel?

It's very similar to a narrative structure that you find in four-panel comics. Something that's talked a lot about in Japanese manga, for example, is a phrase, kishoutenketsu, where you introduce a concept, and then in the next panel you develop the idea a little bit more; in the third panel there's something of a change-up, and then in the fourth panel you have your conclusion."

This concept has been introduced to Nintendo by Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto, who used to draw comics when he was younger, says Hayashida.

"He drew comics as a kid, and so he would always talk about how you have to think about, what is that denouement going to be? What is that third step? That ten [twist] that really surprises people. That's something that has always been very close to our philosophy of level design, is trying to think of that surprise."

Anth0ny

Galaxy 2 > 3D Land > Galaxy, and only because 3D Land is so short. I appreciate the fact that there's no stupid arse "go collect these things so that you can get these other things" missions. It's all pure Mario platforming, going from point A to point B.

I only need to unlock the final level now.

Did we play the same game?

olimpia84

With NSMB 2 being released in August, is there anything it could learn from 3DLand in terms of level design, power ups, ect? Sure, one is a 3D platformer, the other traditional, but they're both successors to SMB 3 and 3DLand played a lot like a 2D game in a 3D world. If you read Hayashida's recent interview with Gamasutra, one of the keys for taking the series back to its roots was Miyamoto's love for classic four panel comic strips (this interview is a great read overall, btw):

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/168460/the_structure_of_fun_learning_.php

Yes, it could learn to use the save feature automatically after you beat each level. In terms of level design I don't think there's much to emulate since they are play differently.

Top Bottom