• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
One kind of OCD thing that's bothering me a little is that it's possible to get your save file marked as "complete" (5 stars) without actually seeing everything. I didn't find the
golden train
until I was 100% done. I suppose it's logically consistent in that that secret is categorized like other bonus stages (Toad Houses), which aren't required for completion either, but it makes me wonder if I'm missing anything else.

jmood88

People need to stop holding games and developers hostage to wishlists and fan fiction. Let them do what they want and they they feel is the right way, because that's what leads to true classics, not trying to appeal to everyone. Judge a game for what it sets out to do and delivers, not by what you (think) you want.

Post of the year.

The requirements for unlocking the final world are really straightforward. Just check all of your world progress screens and make sure that all of the green stars, flag pole tops, and stamps listed on those screens have been filled in.
That last world was a nice surprise of a surprise hehe. I shudder to think of that level you triumphed through tho

tkscz

I posted these in the screenshot thread, think they belong here too

PREPARE YOUR BANDWIDTH!

itkTadSGRD1f2.gif

i0q4LRaORqBBb.gif

i1plq2iR10EpJ.gif

maxcriden

The stamps are the reward. The final gameplay element you unlock is
Crown World.

Given that,

is there any additional level whatsoever for getting 100% in the game including stamps, etc.? Has anyone actually done this yet?

I realize this is kind of what I asked before, but I just want to make sure I am really clear in what I am specifically asking.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
^^^minus the five individual character stamps, to answer your question, yes.

Did you guys notice that Nintendo made 8-bit characters for everyone when you go to the map screen? Obviously who cares about Mario and luigi. We've seen their sprites plenty of times, but the rest of the company look awesome!

maxcriden

^^^minus the five individual character stamps, to answer your question, yes.

Thanks Mannny, appreciate it. I assume you actually mean no, though. As in,

Minus the character stamps, there is not anything additional. I'm clarifying because to say yes to my question would technically mean there is an extra level. Sorry if I seem like I'm nitpicking, I just want to be sure I really know what the payoff to completing every level with every character with the golden flagpole is.

maxcriden

Did you guys notice that Nintendo made 8-bit characters for everyone when you go to the map screen? Obviously who cares about Mario and luigi. We've seen their sprites plenty of times, but the rest of the company look awesome!

Yep, I noticed this. The 8-bit versions are awesome.

Currently up to 7-Castle, need another 19 green stars to unlock it though. Having a great time with the game. Chain Link Charge had a pretty tricky green star.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Thanks Mannny, appreciate it. I assume you actually mean no, though. As in,

Minus the character stamps, there is not anything additional. I'm clarifying because to say yes to my question would technically mean there is an extra level. Sorry if I seem like I'm nitpicking, I just want to be sure I really know what the payoff to completing every level with every character with the golden flagpole is.
There is one!!!!!! Lol

ghibli99

Only a few stages in, and I'm already blown the heck away. I don't know how they did it, but the controls feel like they're wired directly into my brain... they are so smooth, and I have a feeling going back to 3D Land will be jarring (happy that I played it again last month, though). Level design, graphics, music, etc. This is the first game on the Wii U to truly take things to the next level IMO, and I had very high opinions of Wind Waker HD and NSMB U.

With a game like this, not having any Galaxy 3 news (yet) stings a lot, lot less.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I figured out how to do the ground pound jump consistently. Hold ZL or ZR after your ground pound while pressing the jump button and there you have it!

So what's the rundown of the unlockable content?
4 extra worlds (3 with multiple levels
1 with just a challenge toad house, captain toad level, and super hard level)
Rosalina as an unlockable character

Padinn

Any Black Friday deals on this? I saw that Mario is the Eshop character sale that starts Thursday, but I doubt they will discount this so early :)

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Could you let me in on the conditions of these? Thanks ahead
Well,
first 3 extra worlds are unlocked through normal progression and green star amounts. Final crown world is unlocked by getting all normal condition stamps (that is stamps you can find in the main game levels), hitting the top of all flag poles, and collecting all green stars. Rosalina is unlocked after beating the second level of the first extra world.

Could you let me in on the conditions of these? Thanks ahead

Luigi Bros: Unlock by either having Super Luigi U save data on yourWii U, or complete Worlds 1-8 in the main game.

Rosalina: Complete Star World 2

Dunno if there is any special requirement to unlock the
bonus worlds

maxcriden

There is one!!!!!! Lol

Oh! Interesting. This is different than

Crown World?

lol sorry to be so easily confused, it's been a looong day!

Okay, I think I understand correctly based on your subsequent posts. You get every stamp except the last five, you hit every flagpole top, and you get every green star. This unlocks Crown World aka the last world. Then you really want to play more so you replay every level till you get all the golden flagpoles with every character, this gets you five more stamps *but* does not get you any more levels. Is that pretty much it? Also, has anyone actually done this yet?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Oh! Interesting. This is different than

Crown World?

lol sorry to be so easily confused, it's been a looong day!

Okay, I think I understand correctly based on your subsequent posts. You get every stamp except the last five, you hit every flagpole top, and you get every green star. This unlocks Crown World aka the last world. Then you really want to play more so you replay every level till you get all the golden flagpoles with every character, this gets you five more stamps *but* does not get you any more levels. Is that pretty much it? Also, has anyone actually done this yet?
This is correct! Also I don't think anyone has beat the game with every character though I know a couple of people in here have beaten every level with at least one character.

maxcriden

This is correct! Also I don't think anyone has beat the game with every character though I know a couple of people in here have beaten every level with at least one character.

Woohoo! Seems I still have a few functioning brain cells left this evening. I better head to bed before I use up the rest...anyway, thanks for the info. I do plan to go through all the levels with all of the characters (without using the multiple controllers trick) but I feel less of a sense of urgency knowing
it will unlock stamps and not a super-secret final post-Crown bonus level
. It's going to be tricky getting used to playing as any other character now that I've gotten so used to playing pretty much every level as Luigi....

Magnus

How about that final level? Damn.

And now that I've seen it and recognize it - to the person who posted an image of the final boss on day 1, a colossal FUCK you.

Thankfully, the moment in the game was still cool.

Azure J

Man this game is so full of creativity. I went through a large amount of the game tonight just unable to do more than say "this fucking game". Finally got to
world Bowser
and holy fuck the audio/visual spectacle going on there is impressive.

On a side note, the Bowser battle theme in this game is so wonderfully catchy. Sounds like something I'd hear in Guilty Gear.

Marjar

Banned
Ugh I finally got to a level that makes me absolutely HATE the time limit. It's just so poorly designed with a time limit in mind.

Boss Blitz is what I'm talking about. What the hell were they thinking? At the very least they should have given you a clock after beating the first 5 bosses. This is just unfair.

japtor

Might go through the game with everyone. Instead of playing each stage multiple times in a row I decided to just play the whole game through with a single character at a time. Got through to world 4 pretty quickly with Luigi so far, really interested in seeing how easy/hard the later levels are without bothering going for the stars/stamp.
The final final stage. Rage inducing. Annoying that I have to go find another tanooki suit every time I die.
I've been trying without a suit.

Well I tried once with the Tanooki. Then blew it immediately trying to attack one of those enemies in the beginning :p.
I think the game is trying to tell you something by not having any power-ups in the stage.
I got a good way with plain Peach but still blew it a while later in the stage, gonna be a nightmare with everyone else after getting used to her easy jumps.
Ugh I finally got to a level that makes me absolutely HATE the time limit. It's just so poorly designed with a time limit in mind.

Boss Blitz is what I'm talking about. What the hell were they thinking? At the very least they should have given you a clock after beating the first 5 bosses. This is just unfair.
This happened to me yesterday (image link):
https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/zlCfzRM_2qgALzMfat

That's the last star and warp box appearing in the background there, beat the last boss with a few seconds left but time ran out while he was dying/waiting for that stuff to appear. I beat it with ample time eventually though.

Bowser-3 and the Keebler Elves can go fuck themselves.

Once you get past the checkpoint there's a boomerang guy power up in one of the ant trains. Grab that and it's reasonably easy to finish the stage after that. That section on the downhill part is a MONSTER pain in the ass without it.

Any Black Friday deals on this? I saw that Mario is the Eshop character sale that starts Thursday, but I doubt they will discount this so early :)
No discounts or BF deals for 3D World. I'm sure Nintendo is going to sell the game for full price as long as possible

iavi

I'm feeling the music in this Mario much more than I did either of the Galaxies. Some of it doesn't even sound as if it belongs in a Mario title, but the fact that it doesn't is kind of refreshing. That first Boo Mansion stage, for example.

Mr. Fix

I'm assuming that cosmic mario is absent from the game?

Ninty should really consider doing dlc for this game, considering that the team supposedly has their pile of ideas waiting in line - new assets/levels, of course.

Holy shit that
Gusty Garden
remix. Incredible.
Yes?

That final boss. Wow. I wasn't expecting that; It was great! I'm having such a hard time with
Star - 2
. I have no idea why, but I lost 10 lives. I may just be tired. Also, that
The Legend of Zelda
cameo.

Holy shit that
Gusty Garden
remix. Incredible.

That level stands out as one of my favorites, for that reason
and for the absolutely mind-blowing use of the games mechanics to genre bend

I was in tears the entire time. Incredibly happy tears.

I hit the post-game stuff today. That final boss was fantastic (especially with 4 people!) and the creativity just keeps on flowing. I actually feel like the real game has 'begun' now, and that first bit was just a warm-up.

And, yeah, the music throughout the game is of a level of awesomeness above Galaxy, IMO. Slap that soundtrack on iTunes, Nintendo.

Top Bottom