• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Darryl

Banned
So, how bout that difficulty?

Is it too easy, hard or somewhere in between?

I'm at a point that I think may be just before the final boss. So far it's just in the middle. It isn't a cakewalk (especially not the level Cakewalk), but it isn't like I'm going to predict you're going to die a lot and throw your controller at times. Especially not if you pace yourself. There aren't many live or die leaps. However I'm doing the multiplayer so when I die I just have my partner survive until I'm back up. That might be making it easier than it is otherwise.

So, how bout that difficulty?

Is it too easy, hard or somewhere in between?

The main game is pretty easy / average

The
stages after the game are over in the stars are insane. I'm at 350 deaths and I just now unlocked the very final set of worlds. One of them is a mystery house with 30 challenges... 30.

aza

Post-ending spoiler:

Blast Block Skyway in Flower World is probably my favorite level so far. Probably died about a hundred times speed-running it and trying to do it like this.

Anybody have experience with the Elgato Game Capture HD, or any other comparable capture card? I kind of want to get one to capture some of my speed-runs.

DeaviL

Banned

The
stages after the game are over in the stars are insane. I'm at 350 deaths and I just now unlocked the very final set of worlds. One of them is a mystery house with 30 challenges... 30.

I'm now trying to calculate how much money other companies would have charged for all that extra content.

Dat Nintendo.

I'm now trying to calculate how much money other companies would have charged for all that extra content.

Dat Nintendo.

It's really quite staggering honestly.

We have battlefield 4, which is a great game when it works... but it launched with 10 maps and you're paying 50$ for more expansion packs. I honestly can't see how there was that much more development as far as level design goes in a game like that compared to what we get with this game.

And don't even get me started about the Forza issues. I own the game and I think its marvelous as far as sim racing goes... but some of the gameplay decisions and the things that happen off the track are simply inexcusable.

Nekofrog

Banned
The game has definitely gotten much, much, much better. I'm really enjoying it, but I still contest that the first 3 worlds are super bad and boring with a few exceptions.

The game has definitely gotten much, much, much better. I'm really enjoying it, but I still contest that the first 3 worlds are super bad and boring with a few exceptions.

I think the first few worlds are designed with an age of 6-10 playing them. 3 full worlds for a kid to explore and play, someone that may not be able to ever get past those seems like just the right amount.

japtor

The
I don't feel so bad about my death count now...then again I don't think I've checked since blowing a bunch on the true last level. And I think going for everything changes the difficulty a bunch. I'm just running through everything with Luigi now and just flying through the levels.

Speaking of flying, one nice trick with the cat suit is bypassing some warp blocks. See the next segment way off in the distance down below? Jump dive and hope you make it.

So I take it this game is way more challenging than the 3DS game?

I think the first couple worlds are about the same as the 3D Land, although more fun. Instead of waiting for 8 worlds to up the difficulty, 3D World starts ramping up at about world 3, and so far has been getting both harder and more fun.

Off topic: my only gripe with this game is grab and run being the same button. When on a small platform with another player I'm almost guaranteed to grab them (or them me) before attempting to jump which usually leads to one of us being thrown down a pit. Grab should have been the R button of something.

vall03

I don't know what the fuck happened, but I had a lot of trouble with Piranha Creeper Creek and Beep Block Skyway. *sigh*

69wpm

People who buy digitally, go get it at GAME for 43 pounds, cheaper than on the eShop. I already got my code although it doesn't work yet.

Nicktendo86

It's really quite staggering honestly.

We have battlefield 4, which is a great game when it works... but it launched with 10 maps and you're paying 50$ for more expansion packs. I honestly can't see how there was that much more development as far as level design goes in a game like that compared to what we get with this game.

And don't even get me started about the Forza issues. I own the game and I think its marvelous as far as sim racing goes... but some of the gameplay decisions and the things that happen off the track are simply inexcusable.

And this is why I want to punch anyone who celebrates or wishes for the demise of Nintendo in the face. They do things old school, too old school in a lot of ways (online etc) but you get your fucking money's worth of content. The whole Forza 5 debacle has really brought that home, you are paying MORE money for LESS game, and people look forward to next gen? I just don't get it.

So glad this arrived yesterday at my local store. I've played through 4 worlds and it just keeps delivering. I relived a lot of good memories from past Mario games through the evening!

NEO0MJ

Just beat the main game. But man the difficulty spike, I really need to play more careful right now.

Was kinda disappointed with the final boss, I felt I was just along for a spectacle, unlike the finale for 3D Land. Also, why did Bowser have to go full furry?

I never jumped (since they pretty implicitly tell you not to by watching the rats) but it still caused me a lot of problems, especially right after the checkpoint flag.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Just got the game :)
I made an exception to my 100% digital buying behavior, as my girls cousins come in an hour, and I didn't want them to miss that. My first experience with the game will be watching them play, can't wait.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
People who buy digitally, go get it at GAME for 43 pounds, cheaper than on the eShop. I already got my code although it doesn't work yet.

Thank you for the news, I was wondering when they will put up the download code option. I looked yesterday and it wasn't there so I thought they will release it on Friday mid day as they usually do and already was thinking about all the time lost not downloading it at midnight. :D

I started playing Mario 3D Land again, y'know, the 3DS one. I have all star coins, every level from the first half of the game 100%'d, every level in the last half completed as Mario, and randomly some tops of flagpoles on those remaining levels. I also have triple crown lives. Basically I just need to suit up Luigi and run through what's left.

And I gotta say, going back to it after 3D World? Holy crap! It feels like comparing NSMB to NSMBWii.

I mean I love 3D Land, I still do, it's still one of the 3DS's best games. But when you don't need lives or star coins and you're playing as high jump Luigi with two Tanooki suits, just getting through levels as fast as you can? Compared to 3D World the levels feel so tiny, sparsely populated, and really easy. And this is in the harder half of the game. I guess I should consider that a good thing if I just want to 100% the game at this point.

I got through the first 4 worlds in no time yesterday.

Anyone else who has both games, if you haven't played 3D Land in a while, play a few levels and check out the difference, it's nuts.

This game should have a single hit death mirror mode run like Donkey Kong Country Returns had. Now that is the stuff that champions are made of.

Every level would be like the Grandmaster Galaxy.

This game should have a single hit death mirror mode run like Donkey Kong Country Returns had. Now that is the stuff that champions are made of.

Every level would be like the Grandmaster Galaxy.

Yeah, I was thinking about that too, I would appreciate that.

Man with all the content it's got already...

They could also do like they did in one of the 3D Land levels, and start on a 30 second timer, awarding a little more time for every enemy killed. Of course some levels might not work out for that, but it's an interesting challenge mechanic.

I was jumping, but always jumping forward and into the direction of the flip. I didn't have a hard time clearing the level but grabbing the green stars was a sinkhole for lives. Jumping or not, you still have to
make it onto that tiny ass narrow platform while someone throws hammers at you (or fireballs? I don't remember)

I also had peach, so yeah. I bet my life would have been easier if I had watched those rats instead of immediately tail swiping them

Post-game, made me smile big time:

2nd green star. I wasn't expecting that. Got to World 9 last night and started 9-1. Saw a couple torches, with that door, and was like "that's kinda Zelda-ish, whatever." And then revealing the 8-bit Link image, with the re-mixed Zelda theme... so nice.

JakeD

As I expected, 4 stages in and my nephews now want a Wii U :)

The joy the kids have, priceless!

seeing my 4 year old jump on a goomba all by himself for the first time....

PyxtIx5.gif

now he's addicted and i'll never get to play alone again.. is there any way to make the gamepad player 2?

Top Bottom