• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Honestly, this game is the first Mario game since Sunshine where I feel I have perfect control over what I'm doing without limitations. As a huge fan of 3D Mario, I think it's catered to me very well.

This.
Only thing that feels restrictive is the time limit. If I didn't have to worry about the clock ticking down, I'd be able to explore the levels much more and find stars and things in the first run, rather than having to replay it multiple times when things go flying past you.

It'd be nice if they included the timer as an option for a speed run setting or something of that sort.

Busaiku

I'm kinda worried about unlocking crown world. I've beat all the levels, and I've went back and cleared all the way through world 6 getting all the stars and stamps.... but I don't know which chjaracter has beaten which level. How in the world am I supposed to get all 5 character stamps if I don't know which character has beaten which stages?

If you unlock World Crown, you'll see which characters completed the stage.

Wow, I hit the flagpole the very second it went to zero!

wBzqJiQ.jpg

lol you survice by 000000000000000000000000000.1% I bet

I guess maybe I'd consider the Galaxy games kind of a halfway point between what came before and 3D Land/3D World. He's not quite as ninja-like there as he is in 64 and Sunshine, but he certainly moves faster and jumps higher and farther there than he does in 3D Land/3D World.

People say that 3D World and 3D Land feels slowed down compared to Galaxy.

Makes me wonder when was the last time they played Galaxy.

Because Galaxy Mario may jump pretty far but he's the slowest 3D Mario by a noticeable margin, I shit you not. 3D Land and World follow in Galaxy's footsteps as far as movement speed goes but at the very least 3D World has a dash.

3D World moves at a much faster pace and while that might have more to do with the level design than the movement speed there's no way Galaxy's Mario is faster than anything ever

Andrew.

Banned
This game has made me realize my primary gripe with the Galaxies (at least Galaxy 1) and it's the fact that the each level MUST be repeated over and over until all of the stars are found, unlike here where if you have a good eye and some decent skill you could be able to wipe out a couple of stars, the stamp and a yellow pole in one run of a level. Its a pacing issue and 3D World completely fixes it for me. It also helps a ton that each level in World can be completed remarkably quickly (like in SMB3) if you know what you're doing. Need a couple extra catsuits? Just replay 1-1 and be finished within less than a minute. Speed and pacing has always been everything to me in Mario games and World is just so much more of a faster rollercoaster.

Linkhero1

As much as I love Galaxy 1 and 2, I'd like to see EAD take a different approach rather than creating Galaxy 3. Sure it would be great, but I want to see how creative EAD can be without using the same theme over and over again.

Neiteio

holy crap.....i have totally forgotten about frog suit mario
I'm sure the Frog Suit will make a comeback. It's too cute, and I'm sure they could come up with clever gameplay for it. A different style of jumping on land, and swift swimming underwater.

It's coming in 2014 for the year of Yoshi.

Believe
A Yoshi-themed DLC expansion for 3D World, to coincide with a possible Year of Yoshi... I could dig it!

Another idea: For max nostalgia (well, for us N64 kids, at least), they could do a SM64 world pack with remakes of Bob-Omb Battlefield and other select courses. :-O

Like Throwback Galaxy in SMG2. :)

Do you have to beat each level with each character in order to get all the stamps?
a post above makes it seem like that's the case but that sounds really tedious... also, is there another final boss at the very end of all the bonus stuff?

Neiteio

Do you have to beat each level with each character in order to get all the stamps?
a post above makes it seem like that's the case but that sounds really tedious... also, is there another final boss at the very end of all the bonus stuff?
Tedious? I'm thankful for it. Always nice to have a reward for levels I'd end up replaying for fun anyways. :)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
how long has it been taking you guys to get to credits?
11 hours, but that includes getting all of the stars and stamps along the way.

You do, but you can cheat the system by abusing multiplayer. Reach the flag pole, then have 3 other characters join in, and have all of them just touch the pole. They actually have to touch the pole for it to count in stages that have flag poles. In stages without flag poles, they just have to be present at the end; it still counts even if they're in a bubble on those stages.

Tedious? I'm thankful for it. Always nice to have a reward for levels I'd end up replaying for fun anyways. :)

That's playing through the entire game
five times just to unlock a few more levels, and if you're trying to do that in a timely fashion because you're eager to do so, that's pretty tedious IMO

Out of curiosity does anyone know where the
8-Bit Mario, the Star, and the Golden Catsuit Stamps are? I've looked everywhere and I have all the levels completed with all the stamps but I'm still missing those and character portrait ones which I know how to get.

A Yoshi-themed DLC expansion for 3D World, to coincide with a possible Year of Yoshi... I could dig it!

Glad I'm not the only one wanting to see this. Playing this game has had me dreaming up what a 3d Yoshi's Island would play like... I think egg-throwing could work with pointer controls, a la Pikmin 3.

Linkhero1

You do, but you can cheat the system by abusing multiplayer. Reach the flag pole, then have 3 other characters join in, and have all of them just touch the pole. They actually have to touch the pole for it to count in stages that have flag poles. In stages without flag poles, they just have to be present at the end; it still counts even if they're in a bubble on those stages.

Argh. I didn't want to do this but I have no choice. The process sounds tedious even with the trick of having players join in later.

five times just to unlock a few more levels, and if you're trying to do that in a timely fashion because you're eager to do so, that's pretty tedious IMO

I don't think you have to beat every level with every character to unlock the extra levels. I think that just gets you the last stamps. (I hope I'm not wrong)

Didn't see your edit until just now, but thanks. Yeah I think I'll spread my 100% completion of this game over time, which is what I wanted to do anyway but my girlfriend won't let me do anything until we've did everything in this game and I'm getting super burned out on it lol

I don't think you have to beat every level with every character to unlock the extra levels. I think that just gets you the last stamps. (I hope I'm not wrong)

Hm, so what is the stamp pre-requisite for unlocking the extra levels?

Challenge: Beat Broken Blue Bully Belt using Toad without the Tanooki suit. I tried a few times, but decided to move on for now and come back after I've beat the game.

Didn't see your edit until just now, but thanks. Yeah I think I'll spread my 100% completion of this game over time, which is what I wanted to do anyway but my girlfriend won't let me do anything until we've did everything in this game and I'm getting super burned out on it lol

I haven't got to the
final final world, but I'm pretty sure you just need every stamp other than the five you get for completing every level with a character.

japtor

Lol, that would be silly...

*Imagines Super Wario 3d World DLC with Wario, Waluigi, Daisy, and, uh, Evil Toad*

I WOULD BE OKAY WITH THIS.
Now you see the light. Also Evil Toad = Yellow Toad.

Alternatively there's also the whole Wario Ware crew. Mona, Jimmy T., the taxi guys, alien, ninja girls. The Brooklyn Kingdom won't know what hit them.
Galaxy should be clumped up with 3DL/3DW, really. 3DL/3DW's design is just an iteration on Galaxy's linear design, just tweaked to make it playable with a mostly set camera.

64/Sunshine are a lot different to everything that came after. I'm willing to bet the 3D Marios to come after 3D World will follow in Galaxy's footsteps also.
The level design itself was just a progression from Galaxy, but 3DL/W also got back to the 2D Mario gameplay/structure too, while Galaxy was still based around what 64 brought (lifebar, attack, reusing levels with multiple stars).
People say that 3D World feels slowed down compared to Galaxy.

Because Galaxy Mario may jump pretty far but he's the slowest 3D Mario by a noticeable margin, I shit you not

3D World moves at a much faster pace and while that might have more to do with the level design than the movement speed there's no way Galaxy's Mario is faster than anything ever
Yeah I noticed that too when playing SMG2 last week. I got used to it after a few levels but he feels really damn slow.
Does it unlock
any levels or just the last stamp?

Raw64life

So you have to beat every level
with all 5 characters
to get all the stamps? Fuck that. I have way too many other games to play and while this game is GOTY material that I'll probably return to at some point, I'm in no rush to play through it 4 more times immediately following completion.

Linkhero1

What's everyone's playtime/progress at? I'm over 16 hours so far with 100% through the sixth level of
World Flower

I'm about 8 hours in, I believe I finished 7-2 last. Everything up to 7-2 has been 100%

I'm sure completing every level with all the characters will take me quite a bit of time.

So you have to beat every level
with all 5 characters
to get all the stamps? Fuck that.

TIP:
I saw a stream were you can use extra controllers just before hitting the flag just have the other controllers join the game and when everyone hits the flag it counts as a completion

japtor

8-Bit Mario, the Star, and the Golden Catsuit Stamps are? I've looked everywhere and I have all the levels completed with all the stamps but I'm still missing those and character portrait ones which I know how to get.
I got the
8-bit Mario
pretty recently, so I think it'd have to be one of the pretty late levels, maybe one of the post game ones. I don't think I have the other two, and including those I have seven missing. The only things I'm missing are:

Final final stage
Final mystery house (I have those two unlocked, just haven't beaten them)
Beat all levels (including the two above of course)
Beat all levels with all characters
And I guess all stars and stamps cause those last two levels.

Wonder if I skipped one of the fairy houses somewhere.

People say that 3D World and 3D Land feels slowed down compared to Galaxy.

Because Galaxy Mario may jump pretty far but he's the slowest 3D Mario by a noticeable margin, I shit you not. 3D Land and World follow in Galaxy's footsteps as far as movement speed goes but at the very least 3D World has a dash.

Hm, I played Galaxy 2 fairly recently, but it was way after I finished 3D Land and before I played 3D World at E3, so I'll need to go back again and see what you mean. The video you posted doesn't really make your case IMO; it may have to do with Galaxy's level design and the fact that he's running on small planetoids, but Mario looks faster there than he looks and feels in 3D World to me.

I got the
8-bit Mario
pretty recently, so I think it'd have to be one of the pretty late levels, maybe one of the post game ones. I don't think I have the other two, and including those I have seven missing. The only things I'm missing are:

Final final stage
Final mystery house (I have those two unlocked, just haven't beaten them)
Beat all levels (including the two above of course)
Beat all levels with all characters
And I guess all stars and stamps cause those last two levels.

Wonder if I skipped one of the fairy houses somewhere.

Do you remember which level you got it in, cause my list is showing I have all the green stars and all the stamps minus the ones I pointed out.

Theorymon

Challenge: Beat Broken Blue Bully Belt using Toad without the Tanooki suit. I tried a few times, but decided to move on for now and come back after I've beat the game.

I've managed to do this with Mario. Made me burn through like 30 lives or so. It really forced me to get acquainted with the momentum mechanics in this game! It was a fun challenge though, but I probably won't do it as toad till I do a small character only run through,

Also, Even though I'm not 100% finished with the game yet (still gotta beat the true final level as Mario plus beat all the other levels as the other characters), I've started another run through, but there's a twist: I must beat the game while collecting the minimum amount of coins (I'll get the green stars that require coins after that), and this is also a no death run, so no checkpoints!

I've beaten the first two worlds in this run through, and so far, it's not too difficult, but certainly noticeably harder. I had to miss 4 green stars on world 1 because of the no coins thing. However, World 2's castle was actually sorta a pain. There's two parts where a Bullet Bill hits a crate, and for some reason, you automatically get a coin if it hits the crate! So I had to use Cat Luigi to deflect the bullet bill till the cannons were off screen. However, I screwed up, and lost both cat suits at the end of each cannon, so I wasn't able to get the gold flag since the blocks to the flag were covered in coins. I'll try to get the gold flag as the other characters in that level as soon as I get the Tanooki suit, which should hopefully make deflecting the Bullet Bills easier.

I think I'll to get the gold flag with the other characters as soon as I get the Tanooki suit. The only really annoying part is that if I accidentally get a coin, I have to restart to the Wii U menu, since otherwise, the game actually save when you quit. The game saves the amount of coins even if you exit a level too! Overall, I expect this run through to be quite a nice challenge!

japtor

Do you remember which level you got it in, cause my list is showing I have all the green stars and all the stamps minus the ones I pointed out.
I'm not sure, but I'm thinking it might be the
final Captain Toad stage in the Crown world. If you don't have that world unlocked yet it might explain why you can't see any missing stamps in your list.

Krabboss

The level design itself was just a progression from Galaxy, but 3DL/W also got back to the 2D Mario gameplay/structure too, while Galaxy was still based around what 64 brought (lifebar, attack, reusing levels with multiple stars).

I'm only talking about the level design, since that's what defines the games most for me. Galaxy and onwards are very linear. Even when repeating levels in Galaxy you would often just be going around to different asteroids on different star launchers.

balohna

I'm only talking about the level design, since that's what defines the games most for me. Galaxy and onwards are very linear. Even when repeating levels in Galaxy you would often just be going around to different asteroids on different star launchers.

Yeah, I agree with this. Galaxy 1 was a bit of a hybrid, but generally speaking the last "open" 3D Mario was Sunshine.

Sixfortyfive

You get all of those in the final world.

Just collect all of them from stages with stamp icons listed on the progress screen. The only two things you get from beating every stage with every character are bonus stamps and a 5th star icon on your save file.

I'm not sure, but I'm thinking it might be the
final Captain Toad stage in the Crown world. If you don't have that world unlocked yet it might explain why you can't see any missing stamps in your list.

I don't have that world, I was under the impression that I needed all the stamps minus the character ones to unlock it.

You get all of those in the final world.

Just collect all of them from stages with stamp icons listed on the progress screen. The only two things you get from beating every stage with every character are bonus stamps and a 5th star icon on your save file.

So then which stamps do I need to unlock
the crown world? Do I need the Character icons? All 6?

Sixfortyfive

The requirements for unlocking the final world are really straightforward. Just check all of your world progress screens and make sure that all of the green stars, flag pole tops, and stamps listed on those screens have been filled in.

amazed have not touched my pro controller for about 6 months and it is not plugged in and still has a nice charge I was expecting to grudgingly plug it in

Top Bottom