• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

BlackJace

Bummed about the sales in Japan :( Plus, I just can't understand how some posters seem to be cheering on this console's demise as if it's a good thing. 3d platformers don't even get made anymore. The ps4 and xbone crowds couldn't give less of a shit about them. This could be the last stand for the genre on home consoles if things continue this way...

...but luckily for us this game is going to have legs, I think. I'm going to wait on worldwide sales after the holidays to truly assess the situation. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy the system and this game in particular as if there were no tomorrow.

Just ignore the sales thread. It's really easily to get banned if you seem to be combating an onslaught of drive bys. The OP made the thread for one reason and one reason only, you'd be running into a burning building at this point.

Blades64

Banned
Nintendo absolutely cannot go back to just Mario being a playable character in 3D Marios now. The differences in each character really ads to the game:

Peach: Dat float
Luigi: Dat jump
Toad: Dat speed
Mario: Dat balance
Rosalina: Dat spin

They can't go back. They just can't...

Nintendo absolutely cannot go back to just Mario being a playable character in 3D Marios now. The differences in each character really ads to the game:

The next explorative 3D Mario should use the same playable characters, but have levels that have entire sections that are made for each character.

Also I really like this photo I just made.

aiam.jpg

roknin

Seriously! I love this multi-character playstyle returning. For most of my first playthrough I went through with Peach in the first few worlds... then just started hitting random. So much fun that way.

And then having those varied abilities to choose from is fantastic. DAT TOAD SPEEEED

zigg

Oh that's dirty - I would have loved an in-game warning mentioning using that leaf has irreversible penalties. I used one once back at chain link charge without even realizing the effect. Guess I'm out of the running for them shiny stars.
Have you tried re-beating the level without the leaf? Thought I read somewhere you could undo the penalty that way. Could've been mistaken though.

Mario sounds so dorky in this lineup. "I can float!" "I can jump!" "I'm fast!" "I'm a well-balanced part of this team."

Have you tried re-beating the level without the leaf? Thought I read somewhere you could undo the penalty that way. Could've been mistaken though.

I'm gonna give that a try tonight - I only just realized today that the suit came with a penalty. I don't even need an excuse to replay ChainLink Charge, that level is a blast.

Exile20

Stand strong my fellow Mario 3D World players. Don't let the news about the game bombing hard in Japan let you down. We still have the NPD to go.

If Amazon is a good way to gauge how SM3DW is doing, it was in top 10 most of the time going as high as #2 since launch and only slipping to #11 or #12 a few times. It has always been ahead of Zelda which is on a console with a huge install base.

I hope that is a good sign.

Blades64

Banned
The next explorative 3D Mario should use the same playable characters, but have levels that have entire sections that are made for each character.

This makes too much sense for them not to do it in the next one.

Seriously! I love this multi-character playstyle returning. For most of my first playthrough I went through with Peach in the first few worlds... then just started hitting random. So much fun that way.

And then having those varied abilities to choose from is fantastic. DAT TOAD SPEEEED

I started hitting random as well. Learning to play with all of them ads play time to this already fantastic game.

Mario sounds so dorky in this lineup. "I can float!" "I can jump!" "I'm fast!" "I'm a well-balanced part of this team."

You're right! Mario needs a special ability.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The problem with character-specific levels are that it'd hurt the idea of being able to jump-in and play every level as multiplayer, plus I think it speaks volumes to EAD's skill that they made every level, and more or less every Green Star, possible to complete with any character instead of requiring to design specific paths so each character can get through a stage.

Although perhaps one or two levels focusing on specific characters would be neat, especially if they went against the character's usual skill-set, like forcing Peach to do a level requiring more precise, quicker movement.

Nope, but the difference between "running over the edge and being fine" and "it's not quite far enough and you're vaulted in to the lava" is maddeningly thin.

I finished it yesterday but I spent like 20 lives getting all the green stars.

That level. :|

I didn't even bother with most of the stars in that world. After losing so many lives, I just said screw it and just aimed to beat the levels. Eventually, I need to go back and get those, though. Not looking forward to it.

spliced

I went through first with Mario and now I'm going through as Peach. It's more of an adjustment than I was expecting. Her floating helps a lot but her slower speed means you can't get out of some tight situations as easy. The other thing is bouncing off of canonballs is way harder because her floating interferes with it.

After I get done with Peach I'm gonna go through with Toad and see if I can beat all my times with him.

roknin

I started hitting random as well. Learning to play with all of them ads play time to this already fantastic game.

Indeed! I might actually go back and get every stage completed with every character eventually, which kinda' surprises me that I even want to do that. :-o

The problem with character-specific levels are that it'd hurt the idea of being able to jump-in and play every level as multiplayer, plus I think it speaks volumes to EAD's skill that they made every level, and more or less every Green Star, possible to complete with any character instead of requiring to design specific paths so each character can get through a stage.

Although perhaps one or two levels focusing on specific characters would be neat, especially if they went against the character's usual skill-set, like forcing Peach to do a level requiring more precise, quicker movement.

That's part of what makes the level design in this game so genius to me: every level can be completed with every character, with any amount of players, without feeling like its really sacrificing much (if anything) in single-player. That's amazingly tight design, extremely well play-tested to be sure.

Even on some of the toughest levels for me thus far
(just made it to Mushroom-3 last night)
, I've yet to feel like "this HAS to be done by Peach" or "this is a Toad-only level". Certainly have had moments where it feels like it'd be easier, but not as though they were barred from entry arbitrarily.

zroid

Banned
Indeed! I might actually go back and get every stage completed with every character eventually, which kinda' surprises me that I even want to do that. :-o

I'm honestly thinking about doing the same, even though I have both Zelda and Tearaway waiting for me.

Astral Dog

=(
I think Nintendo could have a better chance of succes if they make one console/handheld (maybe that "hybrid" console?) and focus their efforts on that.

They obviously cant properly support one handheld and HD console by themselves, but they also need to stick with the Wii U for the next few years at least

Gartooth

This game has me hooked, been playing it for hours! I admit I was skeptical at first, but this has quickly made it into my top 5 Mario games. I'm so sorry I doubted you EAD Tokyo. ;_;

Just ignore the sales thread. It's really easily to get banned if you seem to be combating an onslaught of drive bys. The OP made the thread for one reason and one reason only, you'd be running into a burning building at this point.

It's still a little surprising. I thought zomgbbq was a better poster than that. I guess I know his purpose on those MC threads. Noone that wanted to have a real discussion would go with a thread title that is troll bait(on Nintendo).

Bummed about the sales in Japan :( Plus, I just can't understand how some posters seem to be cheering on this console's demise as if it's a good thing. 3d platformers don't even get made anymore. The ps4 and xbone crowds couldn't give less of a shit about them. This could be the last stand for the genre on home consoles if things continue this way...

...but luckily for us this game is going to have legs, I think. I'm going to wait on worldwide sales after the holidays to truly assess the situation. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy the system and this game in particular as if there were no tomorrow.

I'm sorry what? The genre is dead on all systems. I enjoy 3d platformers much more than 2d platformers but they are rare (at least the ones that focus on platforming and not combat like Mario)

Also nice generalising saying the PS4/XB1 crowds could give a shit about them. There have been numeorus 3d platformers throughout PS history: Crash Bandicoot, Ape Escape, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Sly and now Knack. However only Crash focused on 3d platforming in my opinion.

With Crash dead, were basically left with the Mario 3D series. I also doubt Indie's will be making 3d platformers any time soon either.

Anyway at least we have one for now. This will be the first game I will play on my
sister's
WiiU.

CassSept

Past World 4 now. The game is good, great even so far, but nothing really to write home about. I think the level I enjoyed the most so far was Double Cherry Pass, I had an unearthly grin throughout the entire thing. Just started level 5 and Plessie is decent actually (though that has to be the worst mix of Peach's slide produced by Nintendo so far) and trapeze level was fun.

Presentation is of course amazing. The game is stunning and the soundtrack is, for the most part, beautiful. Other than that though, the game did little to alleviate my biggest fears about it so far and I doubt that will change. I'd really like to say it's flawless, but it's not and most of these carry on from SM3DL which is doubly sad for me.

Well, back to the game!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Mario's ability is to be Mario. If anything I'd say his lack of a unique special ability is a good way to keep people from fighting over him while picking characters. All things equal, naturally most people would want to be Mario.

Andrew.

Banned
I'm strongly considering a Wii U for this game.

Be honest with me guys, is this game better than Galaxy 2?

Prepare for a variety of answers. Probably not the best question to ask since all of us have different opinions.

The most important question you should be asking is: "Will this rekindle my deepest Mario childhood fantasies and dreams?"

In which case the answer is:
Most Fucking Definitely

zroid

Banned
I am going to 100% the game with Mario before I try playing with any of the other characters. That is, except to press the character-specific buttons of course, but I still insist on having the gold flag obtained by Mario on those levels.

Yeah that's probably really good advice, thanks. I think I'll do that since I don't want to get caught up in this console wars business -- seems to make folks really bitter and extreme.

Back on topic: reading through this thread is like some sort of exquisite torture: finals are coming up and all I want to do is play mario! On the one hand it sucks; on the other hand, I still have so much game left it's crazy:
I've just barely hit the first bonus world and the levels I've tried so far are diabolical.
Can't wait to just curl up with my gamepad and play this with my girl over winter break :)

Busaiku

I am going to 100% the game with Mario before I try playing with any of the other characters. That is, except to press the character-specific buttons of course, but I still insist on having the gold flag obtained by Mario on those levels.

I complete the stage with Mario, then go and do that stage with the character I need, and if I accidentally Gold Flag it with them, I go back and do it again with Mario.

I'm sorry what? The genre is dead on all systems. I enjoy 3d platformers much more than 2d platformers but they are rare (at least the ones that focus on platforming and not combat like Mario)

Also nice generalising saying the PS4/XB1 crowds could give a shit about them. There have been numeorus 3d platformers throughout PS history: Crash Bandicoot, Ape Escape, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Sly and now Knack. However only Crash focused on 3d platforming in my opinion.

With Crash dead, were basically left with the Mario 3D series. I also doubt Indie's will be making 3d platformers any time soon either.

Anyway at least we have one for now. This will be the first game I will play on my
sister's
WiiU.

I don't want to derail the thread, but I just wanted to point out that the bolded was basically the point I was trying to make. (But again that's not what this thread is about -- I'd be happy to continue this discussion on pm though.)

chrono01

Haha, same here!

Joei

I'm strongly considering a Wii U for this game.

Be honest with me guys, is this game better than Galaxy 2?

I've only made it through World 3, and I have to say I liked the Galaxy games better, specifically the first one. It's still a good game though. And I've only had my Wii U 2 months and already own 4 games (NSMBU, SM3DW, WWHD, and W101) all of which are good, so there are definitely games worth getting the system for.

Question: I'm kind of a daredevil when it comes to platformers. I like nothing better than to barrel through levels at breakneck speeds, all the while performing wholly unnecessary and reckless feats of acrobatics.

Like I'm the type of dude that rolls --> long jumps on the edges of those thin platforms that turn 90 degrees continuously because fuck gravity. Naturally I play Toad and Luigi mostly.

Problem is, I want to 100% the game and I'm worried that I just won't find playing Peach all that fun. Please tell me I'm worrying over nothing and that the princess has some spice to her playstyle.

On a related note, has anyone been able to find any good speedrun vids on youtube yet?

Watch Da Birdie

Come on, Peach. Jump higher! Do I gotta get Weegee up in dis!?

It's really not till the later levels where Peach is really desirable to play as.

Her slow speed really hurts the pacing early on in the easier levels where her floating skills are redundant and pointless, but then in the later levels you'll really wanna switch to her for some segments.

ok where the god damn hell is the stamp in the first japanese castle level?
The answer to this is actually pretty genius when you realize it.

it plays with the expectation of side-scrolling levels having an invisible wall...think about it this way, you're clearly in a building with borders. Knowing that, look for something that would be breaking that "rule".

Quick question!

Can I load up the Wii U, get into Mario 3d World, and play without ever using the Gamepad? The charger cord for my Gamepad got burned in an electrical spark and I can't find a replacement in any stores. Would still like to play this with some guests on Thanksgiving.

Watch Da Birdie

Quick question!

Can I load up the Wii U, get into Mario 3d World, and play without ever using the Gamepad? The charger cord for my Gamepad got burned in an electrical spark and I can't find a replacement in any stores. Would still like to play this with some guests on Thanksgiving.

There are levels you wouldn't be able to beat.

zroid

Banned
Quick question!

http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wc...goryId=69709&ddkey=http:SetCurrencyPreference

It ain't cheap but you were probably going to need to buy it sooner or later.

edit: That said, i doubt it'd get to you in time for T-day :(

Top Bottom