• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Kureransu

Quick question!

Can I load up the Wii U, get into Mario 3d World, and play without ever using the Gamepad? The charger cord for my Gamepad got burned in an electrical spark and I can't find a replacement in any stores. Would still like to play this with some guests on Thanksgiving.

Yes, but you will have to pass on certain levels since you need the mic for them.

Quick question!

Can I load up the Wii U, get into Mario 3d World, and play without ever using the Gamepad? The charger cord for my Gamepad got burned in an electrical spark and I can't find a replacement in any stores. Would still like to play this with some guests on Thanksgiving.

You can. There are a small amount of levels that require a gamepad, but you dont need to beat them levels to progress forward.

Brashnir

My God, the interface in this game is terrible.

On the one hand, I appreciate the fact that they finally put a damn auto-save in, but why does it need to stop the game, tell me it's saving, and then pop up a prompt to tell me that it saved and I need to hit "OK" to accept?

Jesus, Nintendo. Games have been autosaving for decades. They do it quietly with a notification in the corner of the screen which requires no user input. Get with the fucking times already.

I'm strongly considering a Wii U for this game.

Be honest with me guys, is this game better than Galaxy 2?

For me, yes. I didn't think it was possible, since I loved the shit out of Galaxy 2. But the stage design, music, graphics, and feel of the game is just mind-blowing for me. The game is nothing but pure nonstop joy. And Galaxy 2 doesn't have 4 player multiplayer, which is INSANE in this one.

Thanks for the answers guys. Looks like Best Buy has a pretty cheap USB gamepad charger for sale so I'll snag one after work. I haven't been this excited about a Mario game in a while

JakeD

On the one hand, I appreciate the fact that they finally put a damn auto-save in, but why does it need to stop the game, tell me it's saving, and then pop up a prompt to tell me that it saved and I need to hit "OK" to accept?

Jesus, Nintendo. Games have been autosaving for decades. They do it quietly with a notification in the corner of the screen which requires no user input. Get with the fucking times already.

i have to admit, this is the only thing that takes me from a 10 to a 9.9 so far. then again, this game is about as kid friendly as it gets and i could see an 8 year old yanking out a power cord during a non-obvious autosave and losing their game.

Dragoshi1

Hm, I took a screenshot and tried uploading it to imgur through the Wii U's browser, and it was stuck indefinitely on "pending".

Does that happen to anyone else?

Where else can I upload screenshots in full resolution?

KiN0

As much as I love this game, I wish EAD had done more to sell the fact that the game takes place in an entirely new setting and not some random part of the mushroom kingdom.

zroid

Banned
Hm, I took a screenshot and tried uploading it to imgur through the Wii U's browser, and it was stuck indefinitely on "pending".

Does that happen to anyone else?

Where else can I upload screenshots in full resolution?

just avoid imgur, it causes problems, and it's a bad site for uploading screenshots in general. abload.de or minus.com are good solutions.

Emitan

lol

tumblr_mwxsouofX01rz64y6o1_1280.jpg

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

Yup, this drives me nuts.

Dr.Hadji

Man, multiplayer in this game is really something else. Even though I kind of suspected that the design would allow for a different type of multiplayer I didn't expect it to work soo smoothly. I can't say this enough. Those of you who are turned off my 2d Mario's multiplayer, you really need to give 3d World's version a whirl. It is a totally different beast. One that largely handles multiple play styles all at once. It's kind of like having a class based shooter in which everyone is playing on one clearly visible field.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
More Mario and Wii U love :)

Everybodyplays.com review: 5/5
http://www.everybodyplays.co.uk/review/WiiU/Super-Mario-3D-World-Review/1562

Stepping out of his comfort zone, and trying something that feels genuinely original, Super Mario 3D World is a fine showcase of the Nintendo magic that people were beginning to worry had been lost. Putting the fun where it really always should be – first – it’s a game that’ll have you smiling from start to finish (bar a few awkward to line-up jumps), and best of all, it’s a game that everyone can enjoy together. Forget the next-gen – with this, LEGO City Undercover, and Pikmin under its belt, not to mention Mario Kart on the horizon, if you’re looking to buy a new console this Christmas, it’s the Wii U that has the strongest line-up by far.

jet1911

I was thinking, for a 720p game upscalled to 1080p it looks reaaaaaaally fucking good. What is the magic trick? On World 4 and the game is still fantastic. I feel like a kid when I play, it's a good feeling. :)

TnK

I was thinking, for a 720p game upscalled to 1080p it looks reaaaaaaally fucking good. What is the magic trick? On World 4 and the game is still fantastic. I feel like a kid when I play, it's a good feeling. :)

I believe they are using AA, not sure though. I need to play on a 720P TV to judge, and I have one of those.

Keyouta

Yep, if there's one thing in the game that annoys me, it's this.

Andrew.

Banned
This game just doesnt stop ceasing to "wow" me. And it's a different type of "wow" compared to pulling off that last minute hadoken or watching some setpiece explosion that I think many of us have been accustomed to for quite some time. I'm constantly engaged at full level.

Regularly I find myself being stunned at this mentality Ive had where when I see one of the levels on the overworld screen, I'll make some ignorant preconcieved notion to myself about it like: "Shit, another water level AND it has Plessie. This is gonna be a pain to get all stars etc." and then it turns out that the level isnt really underwater and Plessie is in it for 10 seconds and it's unlike any other stage that you experienced prior, on top of it being just an absolute delight to get through. The levels just blow away ANY sort of expectations I have for them over and over and over again.

This game just doesnt stop ceasing to "wow" me. And it's a different type of "wow" compared to pulling off that last minute hadoken or watching some setpiece explosion that I think many of us have been accustomed to for quite some time. I'm constantly engaged at full level.

Regularly I find myself being stunned at this mentality Ive had where when I see one of the levels on the overworld screen, I'll make some ignorant preconcieved notion to myself about it like: "Shit, another water level AND it has Plessie. This is gonna be a pain to get all stars etc." and then it turns out that the level isnt really underwater and Plessie is in it for 10 seconds and it's unlike any other stage that you experienced prior, on top of it being just an absolute delight to get through. The levels just blow away ANY sort of expectations I have for them over and over and over again.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01lxdxe.jpg

Nintendo absolutely cannot go back to just Mario being a playable character in 3D Marios now. The differences in each character really ads to the game:

Peach: Dat float
Luigi: Dat jump
Toad: Dat speed
Mario: Dat balance
Rosalina: Dat spin

They can't go back. They just can't...

so what you're saying is Mario owns an Xbox One, dat balance
chansub-global-emoticon-ddc6e3a8732cb50f-25x28.png

regarding sales: the game will inevitably do better in NA because Nintendo consoles always do better relatively here, especially the lower the worldwide sales (seriously, N64 had a similar NA:world ratio as the original Xbox)
that said, it's not going to be good either

Linkhero1

I'm strongly considering a Wii U for this game.

Be honest with me guys, is this game better than Galaxy 2?

I prefer Galaxy 2 more but it's still a great game. Don't let that dismiss you from your purchase. Let me put it this way. It's a game you don't want to put down and continue thinking about at work.

Timeaisis

I prefer Galaxy 2 more but it's still a great game. Don't let that dismiss you from your purchase. Let me put it this way. It's a game you don't want to put down and continue thinking about at work.

I think I'm enjoying this more than Galaxy 2, if that's possible. It may be because multiplayer is just so darn fun, though. It's definitely up there with the best Mario games, for sure. Easily the game of the year.

taybul

Post post post...game question:
Anyone know if anything unlocks when you beat all the levels again with every character? They had something like that with Mario 3D Land which I could understand because it's on a portable system, allowing you to knock out a level or two on the bus or something, but each level again FOUR more times at least is kind of ridiculous.

Berordn

Post post post...game question:
Anyone know if anything unlocks when you beat all the levels again with every character? They had something like that with Mario 3D Land which I could understand because it's on a portable system, allowing you to knock out a level or two on the bus or something, but each level again FOUR more times at least is kind of ridiculous.

Considering that
Crown-Crown
would be equivalent to the reward you got in 3D Land, I'd be pretty surprised if there was.

I think I'm enjoying this more than Galaxy 2, if that's possible. It may be because multiplayer is just so darn fun, though. It's definitely up there with the best Mario games, for sure. Easily the game of the year.

I feel the same way.

SMG had greater first impact than SM3DW. The latter needs to be experienced, from the outside it just seems like a rehash, but when you play it you are constantly thrown great gameplay mechanic, one after the other, making the game feel so diverse.

I think I am having the same fun as with SMG, but because of the MP, multiple characters, amazing diversity, I think I will take out more from this game than SMG.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
All you get for beating every stage as every character are the final character stamps and a 5th save file star.

Linkhero1

It's possible and I can see you and others are enjoying this more. I enjoyed Galaxy a lot more because it was refreshing and the level of platforming was great, I would say a bit better than this game from what I can remember. I agree, but I think most Mario games are up there. :p

Surprisingly this has beaten GTA V as my GOTY. I haven't gotten a chance to play my copy of ALBW since I can only concentrate on a handful of games at a time but it will come down between Mario 3D World and ALBW as my GOTY

CassSept

Is something wrong with Miiverse? I tried posting something and it only returned errors.

Anyway, another level that awed me,
the ghost ship in world 6, Spooky Seasick Wreck. I certainly didn't expect that. Oh and how beautiful it was, the wood looked so... woody?

Getting better, but both Galaxies still blow it away. Well, that's it for today, nearly 7 worlds done, not bad.

Top Bottom