• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
What's the primary control method for this game? Can I use a Wiimote?
You can use pretty much anything.

Gamepad (required for roughly 3-5 normal stages plus Captain Toad levels, although I don't think any of these levels have to be cleared to make progress in the story)
Pro Controller
Remote
Remote + Nunchuck
Remote + Classic Controller Pro
Remote + Classic Controller

The remote and original Classic Controller aren't ideal though because reaching around to hit the crouch buttons on either is kind of bothersome.

Sixfortyfive

Man, I still can't get over no shaking to spin.
This was the best part of Mario on Wii.
All I could think of while doing it was how much better it would be if it was just mapped to a button on a Gamecube controller.

One of the best parts about playing NSMBU on the Gamepad.

But if you want to play with cumbersome controls for no good reason in this game, you can always shake the remote to crouch.

zroid

Banned
aaaand final boss clear!

That was really good. I'm glad it followed 3D Land's approach to final boss design, which was the best in the series by a wide margin. Based on my 2 year old memory of 3D Land's final boss, I don't think this one was quite as good, but conceptually it was sound and well-suited to the game. I'm happy.

Kimosabae

Banned
Can someone give me a non sarcastic answer, please? I'm getting ready to buy this game and I'm want to have an idea of how much I'm going to be spending on the multiplayer aspect of the game.

Sixfortyfive

Both 3D Land and NSMBW still have this game beat for final bosses, but contention for 3rd place is still respectable.

Going to stream random stuff in a minute:
http://www.twitch.tv/sixfortyfive

I'll probably just try to speedrun some levels as Toad unless someone wants to offer suggestions in chat.

Can someone give me a non sarcastic answer, please? I'm getting ready to buy this game and I'm want to have an idea of how much I'm going to be spending on the multiplayer aspect of the game.
You can't use GCN controllers on Wii U unless you've bought some kind of adapter for that.

So sunk another few hrs into this today, this game defnitely doesnt seem to want to fucking end. I have a basic Q thats been on my mind though, although it involves major spoilers:

Can someone explain to me why Nintendo would leave the scene that shows you another world is unlocked until AFTER the credits? There are a TON of people that will shut the game off and will not even stay till the end of the credits- and even people in this thread complained that the game is "short" after beating W8. This isn't some 30 seconds teaser at the end of a movie. A MASSIVE portion of the game is after the "real" game, and I fear many people who dont leave the game till after the credits, and dont really following videogame news online, will have a massively different impressions of the game, and will miss a significant chunk because they simply didn't know. The least Nintendo could have done is added the scene of the sand-thing BEFORE the credits, so average people have a clue that something happened. I don't see how the developers were ok with this, considering the thousands of hrs spent to create the post-W8 stuff, and the dozens of hrs of gameplay that it adds. People shouldn't magically know they need to wait till the credits are done then save it to even unlock half the game. Would be a massive shame for those that miss it. I know for a fact that my brother/sister and most of my friends would never watch all the credits, nor will they replay levels. They'll assume they'd seen everything and never come back to it, basically missing 4 worlds

Andrew.

Banned
That and the Rocket Barrel Levels.

I didn't finish the game on the Wii, though, I still look forward to the Wii U game.

So you finished it on Dolphin with some button input for waggles on a more-comfortable-than-a-wiimote controller?

See that's bullshit completion to me. Especially for a game like DKCR and especially because it relies so heavily on the roll jump.

Linkhero1

So you finished it on Dolphin with some button input for waggles on a more-comfortable-than-a-wiimote-controller?

See that's bullshit completion to me. Especially for a game like DKCR and especially because it relies so heavily on the roll jump.

Nope. Didn't even bother finishing it. I got up to the end of World 6 and just couldn't handle the waggle any longer. I had the ability to use Gecko OS to map the controls to my classic controller but I don't see it as really completing the game either.

Andrew.

Banned
Nope. Didn't even bother finishing it. I got up to the end of World 6 and just couldn't handle the waggle any longer. I had the ability to use Gecko OS to map the controls to my classic controller but I don't see it as really completing the game either.

Good man. I dont even remember how far I got, but Im pretty sure it wasnt as far as 6.

I really hope TF has a button for rolling. Pretty fucking please.

test_account

XP-39C²
So sunk another few hrs into this today, this game defnitely doesnt seem to want to fucking end. I have a basic Q thats been on my mind though, although it involves major spoilers:

Can someone explain to me why Nintendo would leave the scene that shows you another world is unlocked until AFTER the credits? There are a TON of people that will shut the game off and will not even stay till the end of the credits- and even people in this thread complained that the game is "short" after beating W8. This isn't some 30 seconds teaser at the end of a movie. A MASSIVE portion of the game is after the "real" game, and I fear many people who dont leave the game till after the credits, and dont really following videogame news online, will have a massively different impressions of the game, and will miss a significant chunk because they simply didn't know. The least Nintendo could have done is added the scene of the sand-thing BEFORE the credits, so average people have a clue that something happened. I don't see how the developers were ok with this, considering the thousands of hrs spent to create the post-W8 stuff, and the dozens of hrs of gameplay that it adds. People shouldn't magically know they need to wait till the credits are done then save it to even unlock half the game. Would be a massive shame for those that miss it. I know for a fact that my brother/sister and most of my friends would never watch all the credits, nor will they replay levels. They'll assume they'd seen everything and never come back to it, basically missing 4 worlds
What happends if you skip the credits? If thats possible that is.

Linkhero1

Good man. I dont even remember how far I got, but Im pretty sure it wasnt as far as 6.

I really hope TF has a button for rolling. Pretty fucking please.

I don't think they'll return to waggle only. I made sure to complain in my dkcr club nintendo survey about the waggle. It should be a no brainer to allow for multiple control schemes, especially after Super Mario 3D World incorporated every available control options possible on the Wii U.

That and the Rocket Barrel Levels.

I didn't finish the game on the Wii, though, I still look forward to the Wii U game.

Likewise. I did like the Wii game, but I just couldn't bring myself to finish it for some reason. Tropical Freeze is very appealing to me though, with Dixie Kong and David Wise composing the music.

All I could think of while doing it was how much better it would be if it was just mapped to a button on a Gamecube controller.

One of the best parts about playing NSMBU on the Gamepad.

But if you want to play with cumbersome controls for no good reason in this game, you can always shake the remote to crouch.

I gravely disagree with this shaking the wiimote to spin in Galaxy felt perfect, I did not like it in NSB Wii side wides though, got me killed way too much time on the final level.

Andrew.

Banned
This is one of the specific areas I was talking about in regards to shitty checkpoint placement. It couldn't be right after this area? I have to get that star 50 times while I try to get through the next super hard area?

That's why for super hard stars, you grab that specific one in ONE run and then go back to clean up. Dont try to be a super hero and go for multiple collectibles in one run if you're feeling uncertain. That's the beauty of having such short adrenaline fueled short burst segments.

When I see that a level is a doozy I divide it up into a couple parts. The levels arent long and it only takes a run or two to know what the deal is for that particular stage anyway.

Just beat it, holy shit. That was incredible. Such an awesome final boss!!

Anyone else who has both games, if you haven't played 3D Land in a while, play a few levels and check out the difference, it's nuts.
I was playing it the other day because I hadn't completely beaten it yet and I wanted to compare final bosses with 3D World. I think I actually like the final boss in 3D Land better, but one thing I learned I fucking HATE is the fucking Circle Pad. It sucks so bad compared to an actual analog stick, thank fucking Christ Nintendo came to their senses and put real sticks in the Wii U GamePad instead of Circle Pads like they originally planned.

The Boat

True story. I fought it about 2 hours straight today to no avail. Watching a few videos on youtube helped me progress though. I refuse to use any powerups which is holding me back too.
I'm trying to do it with Mario but I am utterly defeated. 31 hours in and the game keeps on giving.

The game has definitely gotten much, much, much better. I'm really enjoying it, but I still contest that the first 3 worlds are super bad and boring with a few exceptions.

I really enjoyed Worlds 2, 4, and 6, while I found 1, 3, and 5 were inconsistent. From 7 onward is gold though outside of some of the remixed stages.

Theorymon

Am I the only one who would love DLC that is pretty much like a bunch of levels that are as difficult as the last one? I know EAD Tokyo said no DLC, but hey a guy can dream...

EhoaVash

just " beat" the game with 170 stars ...so much other stars and stamps to collect though, final boss fight was EASY as fuck...wouldn't even call it a boss fight <.< but wow did it blow me away with the spectacular visuals o.o ..of course I didn't " beat the game" ..the game still continues to kick my ass.

.so question is..how do I unlock
Rosalina? is it after beating the star wolrd? do I need to collect every damn stamps/stars/ on top of all the flag poles??
?????

Theorymon

just " beat" the game with 170 stars ...so much other stars and stamps to collect though, final boss fight was EASY as fuck...wouldn't even call it a boss fight <.< but wow did it blow me away with the spectacular visuals o.o ..of course I didn't " beat the game" ..the game still continues to kick my ass.

.so question is..how do I unlock
Rosalina? is it after beating the star wolrd? do I need to collect every damn stamps/stars/ on top of all the flag poles??
?????

You just have to beat Star-2.

spliced

Am I the only one who would love DLC that is pretty much like a bunch of levels that are as difficult as the last one? I know EAD Tokyo said no DLC, but hey a guy can dream...

It would be a great way to generate Gamepad sales because of all the ones that would be thrown and smashed.

Top Bottom