• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Linkhero1

I got to
World 8 or Bowser's World
yesterday and it left me speechless. The platforming and the music is amazing. EAD got a bit tricky with the green stars and stamps but I managed to find them all after two or three additional playthroughs of each level. Cannot wait to finish the game tonight.

OverHeat

« generous god »
tw9Eo.gif
Ahahahahaha

69wpm

A friend of mine just bought Super Mario 3D World in Germany, early. And look how his copy looks:

Is this some limited edition?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
A friend of mine just bought Super Mario 3D World in Germany, early. And look how his copy looks:

Is this some limited edition?

yeah that's the furry belly LE, he prolly got it from Gamestop. GAME has those as well, where I preordered my copy

Linkhero1

Stand strong my fellow Mario 3D World players. Don't let the news about the game bombing hard in Japan let you down. We still have the NPD to go.

roknin

Reading through this is so refreshing after the SM3DW bomba thread.

It's still stinging. :-( I'll be in this thread a lot today, and playing the hell out of it later tonight after work.

And after today... 4-day weekend, with nothing much to do... I smell much Monster Hunting of the Ultimate variety and 3D World around the corner for me <3

Stand strong my fellow Mario 3D World players. Don't let the news about the game bombing hard in Japan let you down. We still have the NPD to go.

Well, that will be my final verdict. 3D Marios have never sold well or pushed hardware sales in Japan for their debuts so 100K is right about the alley for 3D World. But there's no way in hell 3D World can sell 100 or 200K for NPD. It needs to be 300K or higher. Has to be......needs to be......need to play 3DWorld.....need to....hehe

ffdgh

I have hope...since they're finally actually doing marketing. I've seen more wii u commercials than I have in months. XD

Timeaisis

Oh, man.
Red-Hot Run
. Holy crap. Took me like 20 tries to 100% it, but god was that fun.

The level itself was pretty easy to complete. But god, those green stars and the stamp were pretty tough to grab.

In other news, I had a dream last night that I was playing Super Mario 3D World as a 10-year old boy. When I woke up, I realized that, this is the kind of Mario game I dreamed about playing as a kid. "In 20 years, Mario is going to be in 3D, and they'll have like 20 different power-ups and a million different kinds of levels -- and you can play with your friends without having to share the controller!" I think the only thing missing is Yoshi. Although I'm not obsessed with him like I was when I was 10, so I don't mind.

Linkhero1

Well, that will be my final verdict. 3D Marios have never sold well or pushed hardware sales in Japan for their debuts so 100K is right about the alley for 3D World. But there's no way in hell 3D World can sell 100 or 200K for NPD. It needs to be 300K or higher. Has to be......needs to be......need to play 3DWorld.....need to....hehe

You haven't played it yet? :0
I have hope...since they're finally actually doing marketing. I've seen more wii u commercials than I have in months. XD

3D Mario games tend to do better in NA than in Japan so it should be fairly decent.

Just be glad you're playing the best game released this year. Enjoy it!

100% agree with you.

The poor 3D World sales in Japan are disheartening but it'll sell well in NA I'm sure and the game will have legs like most Mario titles, selling a few million copies during the next few years.

If I were Nintendo though, I'd use this as an opportunity to take a break on 3D and 2D Mario. Use the rest of the Wii U generation to let other IPs have their time to shine. And then launch the next home console with a huge 3D Mario title that will hopefully move a bunch of systems right away and throughout the first year, so it doesn't face the same problems the Wii U has had.

3D World is like an amazing greatest hits collection of all things Mario, so I'm fine with a hiatus. I'm gonna' play through this game dozens of times anyway .

maxcriden

Yeah it does suck. Need to get home and get tomorrow together. Currently post game trying to complete the first half *cough cough* 100%. Taking a moment.....

I hear you. We have to travel for Thanksgiving so luckily we don't have to cook (we're going out with my Mom and her BF to a Mediterranean restaurant), but we won't be able to bring out Wii U with us. At least Zelda can come along....

zroid

Banned
Didn't find Grumpblump Inferno too difficult. Took me about 7 lives or so, but I got all the green stars and the stamp on my first time through the level. Always got nervous for the stamp though!

... but I missed the top of the flagpole >.<

edit: got it this time :p didn't do it correctly though, I tornado jumped and wall-kicked :lol

Raw64life

Finally beat the crown level. I may go back and beat the levels with other characters at some point but I'm in no rush to do so as I have plenty of other games waiting to be played. My GOTY for sure.

maxcriden

What are shiny stars? Also what are the stars that have appeared on my profile?

The shiny stars are just a shiny version of the stars that have appeared on your profile. I believe the only prerequisite for getting them is not using an invincible Tanooki in the game. I don't know how you get each star on your profile yet in this game, sorry. Hopefully someone else (JC?) can answer that for you.

RoKKeR

I'd just like to pop in and say that this game looks absolutely beautiful.

I'm dreaming of a WiiU with this game, Smash, and Mario Kart at the end of next year.

roknin

I have always been wondering, is this game still fun even if you don't play it in co-op? It seems to heavily focus on multiplayer.

I've only had one 2-player session so far - the rest is all single player for me, and its been extremely enjoyable. Actually I'm really, REALLY curious how the game can even manage to play 4-player considering some of the "tightness" of the level design. :-o

EDIT:

Just be glad you're playing the best game released this year. Enjoy it!

B-But sales!!

I kid, very much agreed.

Theorymon

I just beat the true final level yesterday. My god, what a game. This is at LEAST my second favorite Mario game (With Galaxy 2 being on top). This is certainly my Game of the Year!

I'll beat all the levels as the rest of the players, and also continue that minimum coin no death run through too. I love how Mario games are so easy to impose self challenges on =)

Nekofrog

Banned
It is usually halfway through a level right before a difficult part or a part that would be difficult if you didn't find the solution.

In the later part of the game I've noticed the checkpoints are well before the super difficult parts, so you have to slog through getting an easy star over and over and over and over before you get back to where you actually died.

The shiny stars are just a shiny version of the stars that have appeared on your profile. I believe the only prerequisite for getting them is not using an invincible Tanooki in the game. I don't know how you get each star on your profile yet in this game, sorry. Hopefully someone else (JC?) can answer that for you.

Oh that's dirty - I would have loved an in-game warning mentioning using that leaf has irreversible penalties. I used one once back at chain link charge without even realizing the effect. Guess I'm out of the running for them shiny stars.

Bummed about the sales in Japan :( Plus, I just can't understand how some posters seem to be cheering on this console's demise as if it's a good thing. 3d platformers don't even get made anymore. The ps4 and xbone crowds couldn't give less of a shit about them. This could be the last stand for the genre on home consoles if things continue this way...

...but luckily for us this game is going to have legs, I think. I'm going to wait on worldwide sales after the holidays to truly assess the situation. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy the system and this game in particular as if there were no tomorrow.

Top Bottom