• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Linkhero1

I finished the final fight a few hours ago. I will post more about my experience later. I just want to express how disappointed I am at how things went down. I was hyped by all the positive impressions.

Theorymon

probably. i don't know. it's hours later and things are still jumbling around in there.

i'm having a difficult time reconciling how i think this is so much tighter than smg2 and why i wound up liking smg2 more in the end.

I know that feeling man. I might replay Galaxy 2 again pretty soon (I already replayed it earlier this year cuz I replay all the mainline Marios every year, except for Super Mario Bros Special of course). Galaxy 2 was my favorite game before, but damn the pacing is just KILLER in this game. I don't know what to think anymore...

tengiants

probably. i don't know. it's hours later and things are still jumbling around in there.

i'm having a difficult time reconciling how i think this is so much tighter than smg2 and why i wound up liking smg2 more in the end.

Me too. I think I've boiled it down to the music and space.

zroid

Banned
In a year when I've struggled to complete almost every game I began playing, even those I thoroughly enjoy, 100%ing this game is proving to be totally effortless. And not because it's an easy game.

Other games simply don't assault you with a non-stop barrage of freshness in the way this one does. I can start every level with the same zeal I had when I first played 1-1.

Anth0ny

I think I'm close to the end and it's still BLOWING MY MIND how varied the level design is from beginning of the game to end. You barely see the same thing twice. Every stage has something new. It's unreal.

fucking ead tokyo man. these guys have ideas for DAYS. doesn't surprise me that they had a whole new game worth of ideas and content left over when they wrapped up Galaxy 1.

Lunar15

Tokyo EAD figured out how to make a fun game with the freakin bongo peripheral. These guys were just itchin' to get on the main stage.

v1lla21

Got it today, like I said earlier :p I have only played the first five levels, but damn I haven't smiled this much while playing a game in a while.

AFaj0Vm.jpg

Nice. I'm guessing I have to collect all the stars and stamps now? Do I have to end every level at the top of the flag pole, too?

Answer:
All stars, all stamps, all flag poles. You should see some icons on the blocky sandy thing in the middle of the flower world near the end, with a luma or something near it. It basically is the icons of the things you need.

Easiest way to check is just look at your map, then the "star notebook" button, and flip through each world. If you have an icon missing for a level, then you need to get it.

oatmeal

Banned
So so good. Got all the green stars up to W6 and having a blast. BUT to be honest I don't see myself replaying the levels for fun. None of them really call out to me since none of them have much replay value after getting the stars and stamps. That's the big difference between this one and 64/Sunshine for me. This game's levels feel like "one-and-done" whereas 64/Sunshine levels are just fun to fuck around in.

Easily my GOTY.

I agree about the replayability.

Beat the game. So good. Grumbblump Inferno became so much easier when I realized you didn't have to jump.

How can you get those icons that show you which you've beaten each world with in the results list?

Imagine if this games true final stage could only be unlocked by getting top of the flag pole with every single character. Would take a lot of time even with multiplayer

aza

Answer:
All stars, all stamps, all flag poles. You should see some icons on the blocky sandy thing in the middle of the flower world near the end, with a luma or something near it. It basically is the icons of the things you need.

Easiest way to check is just look at your map, then the "star notebook" button, and flip through each world. If you have an icon missing for a level, then you need to get it.

Sweet, thanks for the info.
I noticed those symbols earlier and was wondering what they were for.

Now off to go collecting.

I finished the final fight a few hours ago. I will post more about my experience later. I just want to express how disappointed I am at how things went down. I was hyped by all the positive impressions.

Cool story bro. There's always that one guy that's always disappointed in things that seem to be impossible to be disappointed by. I guess you're that guy.

paul187

Cool story bro. There's always that one guy that's always disappointed in things that seem to be impossible to be disappointed by. I guess you're that guy.

I was the same way. Reading this thread it was hyped so hard. I was pretty disappointed. Honestly, I feel 3D Land has a much better boss fight/level. Though I only finished the main quest so far.

big_z

for those that have 3d land, how is world in comparison? harder, longer? is the post credit part of the game as meaty as 3d land?

thinking about getting a wii u for this. considering the Mario u or Zelda bundle.

Mael

Just started yesterday.
1player only so far
Well, it's...interesting so far.
Why the hell didn't they make NSMBU as interesting as this one?
it's got everything you'd want in a Mario game, multiple characters, selecting them randomly each stages, Powerups up the ass, interesting maps to explore, surprising boss fight (yes world 1), some challenge but not too much.
This is kinda like 3D Land as in, it's what 3D super mario bros should have been all along.

And OMG fire flower peach is so cuuuuuuuuuuuuuute.
While probably the best game I played this year....I feel kinda like they really hate 2D Mario or something

Oh and the 1rst ghost level! Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah that music!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
soooooooooooo goooooooooood.

Way better than any other 3D Mario so far (if a bit easy but hey I'm up to world 3, it's not supposed to be hard as nails, even NES Mario games aren't that hard at this point).

And I don't know why but I die a lot but since I always get easy lifes because there's so much coins I'm never in any danger.
I don't the think the multi will be as godly as Rayman though....

So so good. Got all the green stars up to W6 and having a blast. BUT to be honest I don't see myself replaying the levels for fun. None of them really call out to me since none of them have much replay value after getting the stars and stamps. That's the big difference between this one and 64/Sunshine for me. This game's levels feel like "one-and-done" whereas 64/Sunshine levels are just fun to fuck around in.

Also, I feel like this game is way more focused on action segments, rather than platforming. A big part of the game is utilizing power ups to smash shit up, which is great fun, but definitely not as deep as previous Mario games. There's also a lot of stuff like stepping on switches and such. Thankfully there are a lot of levels to keep me trucking forward, which is the trade off I suppose. Glad this Mario came when it did. I was losing faith in Nintendo to offer a compelling experience.

Easily my GOTY.

It's all about that lack of agility, bruh. The platforming doesn't feel as fun as the previous 3D titles. There's a whole bunch of stuff being thrown at you and it's fun generally because well done action is fun, but the actual platforming doesn't give off that "I'm having a great time just moving around" vibe. Like, I'm controlling Luigi in 3D World, and all I can think is that I'd rather be controlling "super slippery, insane triple jump Galaxy Luigi" instead because it doesn't feel as good anymore.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
for those that have 3d land, how is world in comparison? harder, longer? is the post credit part of the game as meaty as 3d land?

thinking about getting a wii u for this. considering the Mario u or Zelda bundle.

3D Land levels can be finished very quickly and are extremely linear. The game also plays it safe in terms of introducing new mechanics and challenge until the secret worlds. Levels in 3D World are much bigger with various paths to take/explore. The catsuit adds a lot of verticality to the levels which adds even more stuff to explore. The levels are a bit longer (if 3D Land takes 1-2 minutes to beat a level, 3D World takes 3-5 minutes to beat a level) and the game starts getting challenging around World 4.

I haven't gotten to the post-game content yet so I can't comment on that but if you enjoyed 3D Land, you will absolutely love 3D World and there are plenty of other games on Wii U to justify a purchase.

Blizzard

Banned
I was not that fond of some of the world 4/5 levels, but Searchlight Sneak at the end of world 5 was awesome.

It reused a song, but the song it reused was the awesome music from one of the boss levels earlier, so I was totally okay with that. :D

Mael

Well the team that made this didn't make NSMBU.

Let's not act like that team couldn't have worked on 3D Mario or that some ideas shown in 3D World couldn't easily have been in NSMBs either.

Oh and miiverse better be working soon because it's so lifeless without it!
I don't know if I should restart the game just to put my impressions and everything

Raytow

I pray to the Royal Mail gods that they deliver my ShopTo order today. Come on guys!

Yep!

But I want it now! ;)
Oh I also bought the system for the game, it also helps Bayonetta 2 is coming down the road, and I would love a remake of the first one(but that ain't gonna happen)

Linkhero1

My thoughts on the game overall after completing all 8 Worlds. Post-game spoiler:
Just a little note. I have yet to play any of the bonus star levels or as Rosalina.
I agree with what evilromero said about replayability. I cant see myself going back and replaying any of the levels myself like in the previous 3D Mario iterations. The good thing is that I have yet to try out multiplayer so I plan on replaying the entire game with my brothers. I'm still on the fence on whether 3D World or Galaxy 2 is better. The platforming was more tighter and focused in this game, but something about the Galaxy games keeps me from putting this game above them. Might be the theme, the level layouts, etc. I don't really know. I haven't touched either Galaxy games in a while so I may revisit them soon. Overall, this is my personal game of the year and worth buying a Wii U for.

Regarding the final fight. Spoilers:
I expected an actual battle and not some sort of chase leading to a POW block. I was hyped and excited after reading some of the impressions in this thread. The level of platforming was amazing and I give it to them, but there wasn't really a fight. It felt like another level with Cat Bowser, which I must say was freaking awesome, chasing you. The boss level was great but it's not the best Bowser "fight" from the past few Mario games. I actually prefer the fights in the NSMB series to be honest. Still, it was a fantastic experience.

So after fighting the last level most of the day, I had to give up for the night.

I was sitting around thinking, is there anything that would have made this game better?

I think the only improvement I have would have been actual character specific levels. As it stands you can beat any level with any character, which is an achievement in itself but if we had specific levels we were forced to use one of the characters because of a bonus it only possessed, I think it would have given people more of a reason to explore the different physics and play styles of all the available people. Of course these would have been single player only, but I still think it would have been an enjoyable experience.

batbeg

Well I've reached
crown world
and see no foreseeable end in sights. I've thrown easily a hundred lives away and also haven't even got
half the stars from the mystery house.
oh boy

KiN0

I have to agree with Linkhero1 and evilmeero, the game is definately fun and addictive on the first play through. After that, I find myself struggling to go back and replay levels which is odd because I've never had this problem with other entries in the series.

I have to agree with Linkhero1 and evilmeero, the game is definately fun and addictive on the first play through. After that, I find myself struggling to go back and replay levels which is odd because I've never had this problem with other entries in the series.

For me, I had to establish a goal. About halfway though when I decided to 100% this game, replaying the levels and really exploring them for the stars and stamps made me appreciate their design much more.

Also of note, I enjoyed the galaxy games but I had no desire to 100% them like this one has given me.

NEO0MJ

Regarding the final fight. Spoilers:
I expected an actual battle and not some sort of chase leading to a POW block. I was hyped and excited after reading some of the impressions in this thread. The level of platforming was amazing and I give it to them, but there wasn't really a fight. It felt like another level with Cat Bowser, which I must say was freaking awesome, chasing you. The boss level was great but it's not the best Bowser "fight" from the past few Mario games. I actually prefer the fights in the NSMB series to be honest. Still, it was a fantastic experience.

The idea is nice, but I think they implemented it better in 3D Land.

Linkhero1

For me, I had to establish a goal. About halfway though when I decided to 100% this game, replaying the levels and really exploring them for the stars and stamps made me appreciate their design much more.

Also of note, I enjoyed the galaxy games but I had no desire to 100% them like this one has given me.

My only gripe was that for most of the game I 100% a level on my first try. It's only in World 7 and 8 where I had to go back a second time and search for a stamp or star that I missed in a couple of the levels. I agree with you on the Galaxy games. I didn't really have desire to 100% either of the games. I probably 90% completed each.

The idea is nice, but I think they implemented it better in 3D Land.

I agree.
I found the final fight in 3D Land way more satisfying.

CassSept

A different structure of the game is the reason I think. You have a ton of great, but not very mindblowing or memorable stages. The game is great fun, stage design feels tighter overall but something is lacking. I am yet to experience, and I doubt I will in this game, anything like first level of Gusty Garden Galaxy. It's just the entire thing, the music starts playing, you run up to the flowers, gently spin, grab onto a flower and glide through the air. This image is permanently etched into my mind, back in 2007 my mind was blown. So far SM3DW definitely lacks these sort of moments for me.

Top Bottom