• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The tight structure of 3D World makes the stamp/green star a challenge I'm ready to take, while I didn't even bother in both Galaxy games.

KiN0

For me, I had to establish a goal. About halfway though when I decided to 100% this game, replaying the levels and really exploring them for the stars and stamps made me appreciate their design much more.

Also of note, I enjoyed the galaxy games but I had no desire to 100% them like this one has given me.

Going through the levels again does highlight how tight levels are but playing through each level 5 times also made me realize that most of the levels don't have the complexity to warrant so many replays.

KiN0

@CassSept that's another big one for me. What I loved about galaxy was the feeling that I was beginning an adventure. 3D world honestly feels a bit like a massive level pack to me. Not that this is a bad thing. The variety in levels is without a doubt the game's greatest strength, I just wish they had done a little something extra.

Mael

@CassSept that's another big one for me. What I loved about galaxy was the feeling that I was beginning an adventure. 3D world honestly feels a bit like a massive level pack to me. Not that this is a bad thing. The variety in levels is without a doubt the game's greatest strength, I just wish they had done a little something extra.

I feel like it's the total opposite for me.
The levels are so much better this time and you can FINALLY keep your powerups so you can tackle the same challenge with multiple tactics.
The level select is the 2nd best I've seen in a Mario game, it's like Mario 3 but better.
They need to put extensive shortcuts like early Mario games though.
That was great in NSMBW when if you were replaying the game from scratch you could just say fuck it I'm not going to do level 2 or 5.

EAo2l74.jpg

Getting this bad boy a day early makes it that much sweeter. Thanks ShopTo!

Gartooth

Regarding the final fight. Spoilers:
I expected an actual battle and not some sort of chase leading to a POW block. I was hyped and excited after reading some of the impressions in this thread. The level of platforming was amazing and I give it to them, but there wasn't really a fight. It felt like another level with Cat Bowser, which I must say was freaking awesome, chasing you. The boss level was great but it's not the best Bowser "fight" from the past few Mario games. I actually prefer the fights in the NSMB series to be honest. Still, it was a fantastic experience.

I agree, loved the idea but the execution could have been better. I actually preferred the final fight in NSMBU which I find myself surprised to be saying.

maxcriden

The tight structure of 3D World makes the stamp/green star a challenge I'm ready to take, while I didn't even bother in both Galaxy games.

Speaking of which, I was wondering if others here did the green star challenges in SMG/SMG2 and if so, if they found it to be challenging and worthwhile. I did not do the post-game in either game and was wondering if it's worth it to go back and do it. You have to beat every level again in the levels you're collecting the green star in, right?

(BTW, love your new tag!)

Anteo

Speaking of which, I was wondering if others here did the green star challenges in SMG/SMG2 and if so, if they found it to be challenging and worthwhile. I did not do the post-game in either game and was wondering if it's worth it to go back and do it. You have to beat every level again in the levels you're collecting the green star in, right?

(BTW, love your new tag!)

Eh, it's okay. The green stars are a loot like the ones in 3d land, you really need to go out of the regular path to get most of them. But the pacing was slow with all the messages and you can only get one per run.

maxcriden

Eh, it's okay. The green stars are a loot like the ones in 3d land, you really need to go out of the regular path to get most of them. But the pacing was slow with all the messages and you can only get one per run.

Thanks for the info. Does the level end when you get the green star, or do you still need to beat the level?

Just finished world 1.
my biggest fear has come true, mario is about as agile now as a tank.
No triple jump, back flip is almost pointless and he doesn't control as fluid due to the 8 way movement. I'm usually triple jumping, back-flipping and wall jumping throughout 3d mario levels. this game makes it almost impossible to do so.
what the hell nintendo, i put up with this for 3dland. but i expect far more movement options for a console release. And that timer can go to hell, absolutely pointless.

I'm sure i will get more used to it but first impressions are that everything other than the move set of mario and the timer is fantastic.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Cool story bro. There's always that one guy that's always disappointed in things that seem to be impossible to be disappointed by. I guess you're that guy.
Most of the final bosses in other recent Mario games are better.

A different structure of the game is the reason I think. You have a ton of great, but not very mindblowing or memorable stages. The game is great fun, stage design feels tighter overall but something is lacking. I am yet to experience, and I doubt I will in this game, anything like first level of Gusty Garden Galaxy. It's just the entire thing, the music starts playing, you run up to the flowers, gently spin, grab onto a flower and glide through the air. This image is permanently etched into my mind, back in 2007 my mind was blown. So far SM3DW definitely lacks these sort of moments for me.
I feel the exact opposite way. The cinematic elements of those other games are only impressive on the first viewing. After that, it's just something that gets in the way of the actual game and makes it more of a chore to pick up and replay. They're great games but they just have more downtime.

I've already gotten infinitely more post-100% play out of 3D World than any previous 3D Mario. It has the most addictive quality I've seen in a Mario game since the NES.

I'm really hoping North America gets it, too.
Please kick up a fuss about it in your Club Nintendo surveys, guys. I have so many unspent coins. God forbid they actually put something up worth spending them on.

Robin64

Oh yeah! It came! ShopTo, you beautiful bastards.

Just a shame the Miiverse Community isn't up here yet, I can't actually use the stamps I've collected. :eek:

JoeM86

Never been so impatient while waiting for the postman

Back in my day, the post was guaranteed by 9am. Now it's pot luck to get it before 5pm ;;

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Sometimes I wish Nintendo would strip Mario of all his abilities save for jumping on enemies, breaking bricks, and shooting fireballs. Games in which you have to master all of the abilities presented to you are superior to games that give you tons of powers but never ask you to become competent at using half of them.

But I know that will never happen and am capable of enjoying what I'm given.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Anyone else think the Tanooki suit is wasted in this game? You can't fly, the cat suit's powers are superior to it, and Peach can hover/float without it. So what's the point of including it?

Sometimes I wish Nintendo would strip Mario of all his abilities save for jumping on enemies, breaking bricks, and shooting fireballs. Games in which you have to master all of the abilities presented to you are superior to games that give you tons of powers but never ask you to become competent at using half of them.

Yea! You tell em! :/

maxcriden

There are
___ 120 ___
green stars so yeah.

Weird, am I having a total brain fart or are there not
___ 120 ___
levels in the game,
one per regular star...?
Wait, I guess not because of
comet stars?
Level = mission to get a star in this case.

Anteo

Weird, am I having a total brain fart or are there not
___ 120 ___
levels in the game,
one per regular star...?
Wait, I guess not because of
comet stars?
Level = mission to get a star in this case.

But there are 120 regular stars!!!

One per regular star, You will see

Dragoshi1

Where's the stamp in the first Japanese style stage???

I've been through it so many times now, and can't find it for the life of me.

Mael

You fucking don't fucking touch my fucking wall fucking jump !

Marjar

Banned
Anyone else think the Tanooki suit is wasted in this game? You can't fly, the cat suit's powers are superior to it, and Peach can hover/float without it. So what's the point of including it?

It allows you to slowly fall and can make platforming a bit easier by letting you adjust your fall more accurately. The cat suit doesn't work as well for stages that don't have anything to climb.

I wish Yoshi was a playable character ala Mario 64 DS. I'm not terribly enthusiastic about Rosaline to be honest. One of the least interesting characters to me. I'm not sure why Nintendo keeps placing her in these different Mario games.

I wish Yoshi was a playable character ala Mario 64 DS. I'm not terribly enthusiastic about Rosaline to be honest. One of the least interesting characters to me. I'm not sure why Nintendo keeps placing her in these different Mario games.

Because some of these people are so dedicated that they are willing to buy entire consoles to play as her. Nintendo knows how to take advantage of this.

rollerlol.png

Mael

Put down the gun. D:

Ofuckingk
*cools down*

Seriously though I agree with you (and that's probably why I like the nsmb games so much).
But seriously walljump saved my ass more than I'm afraid to say.
I mean you miss a jump and then you're in a frantic battle against gravity to avoid failling into that hole...
Ectic fun and so satisfying!

Top Bottom