• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

zroid

Banned
I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't care for triple jumps. I almost never find them useful in-game and they're awkward to execute. Hated doing them in Mario 64, and to this day I still do in modern Mario games. Fortunately, they aren't required for anything these days, so I just safely ignore it.

More of a sideflip/backflip guy myself. And in this game, Tornado Jumps are my new go-to move.

Mael

Oh and another move that greatly enhance the games is the spin!
In the galaxy games it's lifesaving and there's whole places made for it.
In the 2D games, they're actually built into the rythm of the levels, they're so great.
A bit of a bummer it's not in this in the same way so far
I know

I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't care for triple jumps. I almost never find them useful in-game and they're awkward to execute. Hated doing them in Mario 64, and to this day I still do in modern Mario games. Fortunately, they aren't required for anything these days, so I just safely ignore it.

I cared about it in 3D land, but now I barely use it.
Heck I don't remember using it much in the WiiU games :s

Sendou

Shipped this morning. Hopefully I get to play this tomorrow. Funny to think that great portion of NA folks are pretty much finished with the game at this point.

maxcriden

No. It's not healthy on any level.

Healthy, no way, but I've seen a lot creepier out there...

I found them pretty useless in SM64, just fun to execute to see how high you could get. The game I found them the most useful in was NSMBU, especially in challenge mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiDI8SnqmuA

Oh and another move that greatly enhance the games is the spin!
In the galaxy games it's lifesaving and there's whole places made for it.
In the 2D games, they're actually built into the rythm of the levels, they're so great.
A bit of a bummer it's not in this in the same way so far
I know

Yeah, it's not terribly useful in this one, except for getting to higher areas for certain green stars. It is super fun to use, though.

There are so many opportunities in 3D World where the triple jump would have come in handy, probably making it much easier. Also, it would help with just getting around in general. There's no denying have all the Mario 64 moves is just fun. And to me fun is the most important element in a 3D Mario game.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The Rosalina internet lovefest continues to be one of those bizarre things I'll never quite grasp
When people start talking about the lore surrounding her I just figuratively back out of the room.

Got nothing against Space Peach herself though.

knkng

Anyone else think the Tanooki suit is wasted in this game? You can't fly, the cat suit's powers are superior to it, and Peach can hover/float without it. So what's the point of including it?

Beat Champion's Road with all 5 characters, no Tanooki suit, then we can talk.

Mael

Can we lay off the spoilers for a while so that PAL people don't flee in horror at the simple mention of the thread fearing spoilers?

More of a sideflip/backflip guy myself. And in this game, Tornado Jumps are my new go-to move.

Zeer0id hates Siglemic and co confirmed

:p

RetroMG

Because some of these people are so dedicated that they are willing to buy entire consoles to play as her. Nintendo knows how to take advantage of this.

rollerlol.png

Whenever I see something like this I think, "I would love to find this person 10 or 15 years from now, show them this post, and see how much they cringe."

Mael

Is this possible at all? Or should we have a Spoiler Thread, or PAL Thread?

I'm not saying that we need to be that concerned about it but come on the game isn't even out everywhere no need to be that specific about post game content!
Heck I know you probably wouldn't like people talkign about postgame boss of Bravely default before the game is even out in the US, no?

chrono01

Wait, what spin move are you guys talking about?

Edit: Oh, Rosalina.
I'm guessing it's when you twirl the control stick, which makes Mario do a "twirl". Jump while doing this and he'll spin in the air with a more...graceful descent.

I discovered it by accident, actually.

Unai

Spin the analog stick in circles a few times, then jump.

I'm guessing it's when you twirl the control stick, which makes Mario do a "twirl". Jump while doing this and he'll spin in the air with a more...graceful descent.

I discovered it by accident, actually.

Most of it has been spoiled for us already though. It's ok, nothing shocking

Wow, I have 250+ stars and didn't know of it.

Going through the levels again does highlight how tight levels are but playing through each level 5 times also made me realize that most of the levels don't have the complexity to warrant so many replays.

The levels in Super Mario 3D World are as complex as the levels in the Galaxy games...if you took every Galaxy star and made it its own level. The structure of the Galaxy games – the way you go back to a galaxy to get stars – makes the levels seem more complex, but in the end they aren't.

As for replayability, I think the levels are more replyable because of the structure of the power-ups in the games, the levels are less linear, there's more stuff to discover. I go into more detail here.

Davey Cakes

Worlds 3 and 4 once again show how these Mario games start tame and get better.

Beep Block Skyway. Getting every double cherry Luigi to the end of that level is the first time I've felt legitimately challenged by this game.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm get going on this or finish Zelda?! Firstworldproblems

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Worlds 3 and 4 once again show how these Mario games start tame and get better.

Beep Block Skyway. Getting every double cherry Luigi to the end of that level is the first time I've felt legitimately challenged by this game.
And it gets better

OMG an error occurred during the payment, fixed instantly (wrong VISA) but now I don't know if Amazon will ship it tomorrow. Nevermind, I can buy one and sell the other, maybe I can make a gift from my site. That's my fucking hype level...

EloquentM

aka Mannny
OMG an error occurred during the payment, fixed instantly (wrong VISA) but now I don't know if Amazon will ship it tomorrow. Nevermind, I can buy one and sell the other, maybe I can make a gift from my site. That's my fucking hype level...
Contact amazon immediately.

Contact amazon immediately.

They said that everything is ok now. I live near their stock and I've got Amazon Prime, there is hope considering that normally they keep my games from arriving too early.

Edit: no, they just said that it's coming next Wednesday, guess I'm going to abort everything and buy it with my bare paws

Oh God, I'm a little kid again. What joy... so pretty to look at and so good to control. This is going to be amazing, now I'm gonna get a few friends over since I have a lot of beer to use as a bribe.

Kokonoe

Banned
The "Twirl" is reminiscent of the Twirl/Spin Jump in Super Mario Sunshine.

It makes you jump even higher and be used to get stuff you normally couldn't if you use it creatively like I do.

Linkhero1

I think triple jumping would have been great because in the first few worlds I always tried to do triple jumps and that spin from the NSMB series only to end up dying. On the other hand having no triple jump made the a game a bit more difficult. Reaching certain stamps and stars would have been a lot less challenging. Getting the gold flag pole would have been less frustrating. I'm sort of glad they didn't include it at this point.

Hmmm get going on this or finish Zelda?! Firstworldproblems

I have both. I've only played the first dungeon in Zelda and I've completed 3D World. As a huge Zelda fan, I'm going to say to get 3D World. Zelda is definitely great and all, but 3D World put a huge smile in my face and is just what the Wii U needed. If you want pure platforming bliss then this is it.

rnaud

I'm stuck..

In the Star World, I am in the level with the canon boxes, there are two arrows pointing up but no platforms, am I supposed to jump on the canon balls to go up?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Super Mario 3D World.

Trust me. Trust me!

:) I trust you alright dax!

you don't even have a 3DS

I wasn't very clear though, could be talking about WW (which I also have to finish btw)

I have both. I've only played the first dungeon in Zelda and I've completed 3D World. As a huge Zelda fan, I'm going to say to get 3D World. Zelda is definitely great and all, but 3D World put a huge smile in my face and is just what the Wii U needed. If you want pure platforming bliss then this is it.

Hehe, I like to finish one game at a time and I really enjoy ALBW so far, but just glancing at the cover of this I think I need to go against tradition here :)

I'm stuck..

In the Star World, I am in the level with the canon boxes, there are two arrows pointing up but no platforms, am I supposed to jump on the canon balls to go up?

You can bounce on the canon balls, or come back with cat power up and climb the walls with the arrows

Top Bottom