• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Sorry bro, you've got a TON more to do.
Oh I know. I knew there was a post game even before it was confirmed because it's the 3D Land team and I trusted they wouldn't skimp :D

I'm stuck as fuck on the second level though. I need to go farm some Raccoon Leafs or something because I just can't. I'm one of those people that has to 100% a level before moving on and I can't even get much further than the first green star without dying.

I LOVE that this level is essentially a Mario Galaxy level in HD though, OMG

Man, I still can't get over no shaking to spin.
This was the best part of Mario on Wii.

As much as I like the game, 3D World has convinced me that shake to spin is a really good idea.

Less finger gymnastics == better control scheme. This is also why I want the run button to die.

Not sure where to post this so I thought I'd ask this here.

Do you need a gamepad to operate the Wii U or to play certain games? I keep seeing the console selling for ~100$ on ebay without a gamepad and wondering if it's possible to use with say just a classic/pro controller or wii mote.

Do you need a gamepad to operate the Wii U or to play certain games? I keep seeing the console selling for ~100$ on ebay without a gamepad and wondering if it's possible to use with say just a classic/pro controller or wii mote.

Yes the GamePad is essential to use the console. Anyone trying to sell a Wii U without it is some kind of con artist.

I'm blazing through the game and getting most green stars but it's great. I think I'm having more fun than I did with either Galaxy game.

Gartooth

I'm a few levels away from
completing the Mushroom World.
I've also made sure to get every Green Star, stamp, and golden flagpole so far. Not sure if I'm willing to complete every level with every character though.

Man I don't want this ride to end. ;_;

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

You can navigate the main menu and start games with either a Pro Controller or Remote, but you need the Gamepad to adjust system settings and a sensor bar (or functionally equivalent device) to load Wii compatibility mode.

So far, I'm on world 6, the game seems way easier than either Galaxy, which is fine since it's addictive as hell. I'm also having a blast playing two player, which makes the whole experience feel super fresh. If you don't get this game, whether you own the system or not, you're really missing out. This is the kind of game you go out and by a system for.

So far, I'm on world 6, the game seems way easier than either Galaxy, which is fine since it's addictive as hell. I'm also having a blast playing two player, which makes the whole experience feel super fresh. If you don't get this game, whether you own the system or not, you're really missing out. This is the kind of game you go out and by a system for.

It gets tougher with the post-game content...and there is a lot.

Andrew.

Banned

Truism. System killer app indeed.

Dont worry about the difficulty, it cranks up just right after world 8. Hope im not spoiling anything, but theres plenty of levels with the difficulty you're looking for.

Dont worry about the difficulty, it cranks up just right after world 8. Hope im not spoiling anything, but theres plenty of levels with the difficulty you're looking for.

Heck, even just the six worlds I'd say it's a helluva deal. I'm a pretty hard-to-please gamer. But starting the game two player with my best friend and rocking through the first six worlds was transformative. Haven't felt as strongly about a Mario since Sunshine.

You can navigate the main menu and start games with either a Pro Controller or Remote, but you need the Gamepad to adjust system settings and a sensor bar (or functionally equivalent device) to load Wii compatibility mode.

So is it possible to borrow a friend's gamepad to set it up then never have to use one again or will it constantly be required for settings/updates?

Damn the post game levels do not fuck around. This is HARD.

So is it possible to borrow a friend's gamepad to set it up then never have to use one again or will it constantly be required for settings/updates?

It's part of the system. Games require it. I can't fathom why someone would want or try to sell the Wii U without the GamePad. The GamePad IS the system, essentially.

OH SHIT I JUST GOT TO THE
TOP-DOWN SHOOTER LEVEL
AND THE MUSIC OH MY GOD ITS PERFECT OH WOW OH MAN

maxcriden

Thats what killed DKCR for me.

That and the Rocket Barrel Levels.

I didn't finish the game on the Wii, though, I still look forward to the Wii U game.

Good man. I dont even remember how far I got, but Im pretty sure it wasnt as far as 6.

I really hope TF has a button for rolling. Pretty fucking please.

Sup guys. Just want to throw it out there that I too really was not a fan of shaking the Wiimote to roll in DKCR. I thought it was a really great game but terribly frustrating to play at times because of that control mechanic. My wife and I play these games trading off levels and I honestly couldn't do the rocket barrel levels for shit. We rented it, made it to the final level, got to the final boss, died, and did not want to re-do the rocket barrel segment, so we returned the game (it was a Redbox rental IIRC). We weren't collecting all the KONGs or puzzle pieces or anything though. Again, gorgeous, smooth, very creative game but the control scheme was just a huge barrier to enjoyment for me. So on a whim we picked up DKCR3D in June and I have put 65+ hours into the game. It's an incredible game and although it runs 30 fps on 3DS it's still plenty smooth and the controls are worlds better than the Wii version, it makes all the difference in the world being able to press a button to roll. It might be my favorite game on 3DS and I can't recommend it highly enough. It's easily one of the best platformers I've ever played. The 3DS version has a number of extras even beyond the immense amount of extras already in the Wii version. Again, if you have a 3DS I cannot say strongly enough how amazing this game is and how just packed to the brim with content it is. I still have tons to do in the game and I'm psyched to play it more soon.

On topic: made it to world 8 tonight in 3DW. So amazing. Loved the first level.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
That's it.

It's been a fun ride, but I'm done.

I just got to THOSE levels, and there's no way I'm ever beating them.

Welp, unlocked everything but the last stamps and the last star on your filename. It was an awesome experience and time to sell it.... am I a bad person?

Til next time EAD

zroid

Banned
lol, man,
Rosalina's
special ability feels kind of game breaking

Maybe it's just because I've been playing as Mario for so long.

Welp, unlocked everything but the last stamps and the last star on your filename. It was an awesome experience and time to sell it.... am I a bad person?

If you cant play multiplayer, and dont want to do speed runs, im not sure whats left for you, besides the luigi bros game(would of been nice to have online leaderboards). You might regret selling it, in the future.

Deku Tree

Another player posting on miiverse on the overworld of the final level spoiled everything about the final boss for me. Not like it was a big unpredictable surprise...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
lol, man,
Rosalina's
special ability feels kind of game breaking

Maybe it's just because I've been playing as Mario for so long.

It's good, but in the long run it gets pretty messed up by other suits. I have killed myself by accident a few times with her using a fire flower, lol.

zroid

Banned
Honeycomb Starway was really great. And dat music.

It's good, but in the long run it gets pretty messed up by other suits. I have killed myself by accident a few times with her using a fire flower, lol.

haha I can see that. I was using the boomerang suit for a bit and quickly came to the conclusion... I need to get rid of this shit!

Just got the, uh, "Tanooki" suit and I was like "it's a different color... what's different about this?" And played through the level, fell, got pissed during the fall and did a butt stomp to speed up the fall... and my mind was blown.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
End game spoilers

By the way, I found a trick for beating the Boss Rush Level with time remaining...

As you know, a big part of it is abusing the boss patterns to quickly beat them, like stomping on Boom Boom as soon as he gets out of his shell, and making sure to move to a spot where the Spiky Block dude will fall with his back facing up...

However, one of the biggest time saves I've found is with the Hisstocrats, at least with Rosalina, may not work for Toad, after jumping on one, you can bounce off their head and hit the other one without having to climb the snakes once more...

I did this and beat it on Try 1 with 50 seconds left before getting the Timer near the Flag

RGVNOE

Quoting myself from next gen thread
Again do not click spoilers if you haven't gotten to the last level
Now to do the final level
Wii_U_screenshot_TV_0145_C.jpg

Do not click these If you haven't played this level

just got here
and
:O <-dont click if you haven't played this area yet

Edit: :O :O

Double Edit: :O :O :O :O :O

The Mystery House in world 4 is such a rush. Long jump is definitely needed here.

Also - Is it just me or is the crouch jump a bit more difficult to perform than in Galaxy. I just get stuck in the crouch position.

BooJoh

I just beat the second to last level. I have every star, stamp, and golden flag so far. When I got back to the world map, it unlocked the final level entrance, then started to save. At that point the music dropped out and now it's been showing the "Saving..." icon for a good 5 minutes. It's clearly frozen and I have a feeling I'm going to be forced to power off.

Here's hoping I don't lose my save.

I just beat the second to last level. I have every star, stamp, and golden flag so far. When I got back to the world map, it unlocked the final level entrance, then started to save. At that point the music dropped out and now it's been showing the "Saving..." icon for a good 5 minutes. It's clearly frozen and I have a feeling I'm going to be forced to power off.

Here's hoping I don't lose my save.

I hope you don't lose your Save either

So so good. Got all the green stars up to W6 and having a blast. BUT to be honest I don't see myself replaying the levels for fun. None of them really call out to me since none of them have much replay value after getting the stars and stamps. That's the big difference between this one and 64/Sunshine for me. This game's levels feel like "one-and-done" whereas 64/Sunshine levels are just fun to fuck around in.

Also, I feel like this game is way more focused on action segments, rather than platforming. A big part of the game is utilizing power ups to smash shit up, which is great fun, but definitely not as deep as previous Mario games. There's also a lot of stuff like stepping on switches and such. Thankfully there are a lot of levels to keep me trucking forward, which is the trade off I suppose. Glad this Mario came when it did. I was losing faith in Nintendo to offer a compelling experience.

Easily my GOTY.

Top Bottom