• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Backflip is in there just to add.

Only done the first 2 levels.

I already want to explore every pixel, collect every coin, jump on every thing.

Delightful.

By backflip do you mean the somersault he does when you change direction or leaning down and doing a backflip because these are both in it and I can't remember another one (though I fully admit that there might have been one).

I am talking about the backflip after leaning down. In Galaxy, 64, etc it was going backwards. A big elegant jump to reach something behind you. Now it looks awful and just goes up. There´s no purpose for it anymore. The somersault is still the same but it seems it´s harder to pull of since you have to push a fucking running button to gain speed first. I love the game but Merio feels limited in his moves this time. Maybe it´s his age. Midlife crisis Mario in a cat suit and rheumatism.

World 1
tumblr_lq924kjRC91qj0zk3o1_250.gif

World 2
ounym.gif

Pretty much how i feel so far as well.I really hope your post world 2 impressions turn out to be the same for me.
My main problems are mario's lack of moves and the pointless timer.
Please be better from world 3, fingers crossed

zroid

Banned
I am talking about the backflip after leaning down. In Galaxy, 64, etc it was going backwards. A big elegant jump to reach something behind you. Now it looks awful and just goes up. There´s no purpose for it anymore. The somersault is still the same but it seems it´s harder to pull of since you have to push a fucking running button to gain speed first. I love the game but Merio feels limited in his moves this time. Maybe it´s his age. Midlife crisis Mario in a cat suit and rheumatism.

The tornado jump is way more useful than the backflip. Only issue is it's risky to pull off on tiny platforms.

btw you still get a bit of air control with the actual backflip

Dr.Hadji

Pretty much how i feel so far as well.I really hope your post world 2 impressions turn out to be the same for me.
My main problems are mario's lack of moves and the pointless timer.
Please be better from world 3, fingers crossed

Sounds like a lot of people didn't play 3d Land in this thread. You really don't need those extraneous moves when the game plays much closer to it's 2d cousins.

Sounds like a lot of people didn't play 3d Land in this thread. You really don't need those extraneous moves when the game plays much closer to it's 2d cousins.
Lack of a viable acrobatic moveset sucked in 3D Land and it sucks here. It's not an issue of need, it's an issue of boredom.

What are you talking about? i played 3dland.i missed all the moves in that game as well.
At least they had an excuse for the timer in 3dland, here it's pointless.

It's not a case of needing the moves, it's a case of having the option so you can play around inside each level. It adds another layer to each level, treating each level as an obstacle course in which to play around and test mario's moves. In this game they've either removed a move completely or gimped the rest so badly that you have nothing to play around with.

Social

I am in world 3 right now and it's a bit less magical than I expected. It's good and I am having fun though! I really like the Miiverse integration. The 3d movement seems worse compared to other 3d Mario games but that might be down to the restricted movement space.

Gartooth

Is there any super secret
finale after the finale? Still have to finish Mystery House Marathon and then I have Champion's Road but I don't want this ride to end.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'll pm my club ninty code for this game to the first person that quotes this

FSLink

Banned
Lack of a viable acrobatic moveset sucked in 3D Land and it sucks here. It's not an issue of need, it's an issue of boredom.

I have to say I at least love the return of the spin jump of Sunshine, every game since Sunshine I always try spinning the stick and jumping hoping it returned and was pleasantly surprised here. :) The return of the long jump is nice too.

I do miss the lack of triple jump in here and 3D Land. There's something satisfying about the New Super Mario games where you jump on platforms precisely to triple jump for speed runs.

Porcile

So basically, the first three worlds are the tutorial. Really started to pick up the creativity towards the end of World 3. Enjoying it so far, but the cat power-up isn't particularly interesting for the amount of play time it gets. I agree that the moveset feels a bit limited. In all honesty it's my least favourite 3D Mario to control. Just jumping around doesn't feel all that satisfying. Game looks sublime though and the music is simply fab. Just hoping for a few surprises.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Well I popped into GAME today and they are charging £49.99 for it. Fuck that.
So is Knack apparently, knowing its price list is £52.99 and it's one of the cheapest PS4 games.

I advise you to get Mario 3D World on Game's website, I saw it too late: you can download it for £42.99 (should have been the eshop price).

Social

The long jump does seem to be hit and miss for me. It fails a lot and I'm sure I am doing it right.

I tried the nunchuck+Wiimote setup and I dislike it. GamePad seems like the best feeling so far (no pro controller)

AnnTiPa

So basically, the first three worlds are the tutorial. Really started to pick up the creativity towards the end of World 3. Enjoying it so far, but the cat power-up isn't particularly interesting for the amount of play time it gets. I agree that the moveset feels a bit limited. In all honesty it's my least favourite 3D Mario to control. Just jumping around doesn't feel all that satisfying. Game looks sublime though and the music is simply fab. Just hoping for a few surprises.

I came to post this very same thing, apart from enjoying it. I'm so disappointed right now that I just decided to quit and and try again tomorrow.

The movement feels sluggish and jumping just feels so wrong compared to Galaxy. :(

Nekofrog

Banned
Anyone else find the game infinitely easier with the D-pad? I've always had problems with analogue sticks that aren't housed in the angular setup. That might be why I never liked the dualshock controller going way back to the PS1 era. My thumb has a tendency to drift too much and I end up going in a direction I never intended.

takriel

I find the long jump to be a hit-and-miss, too. And maybe it's just me, but sometimes I have problems in adequately judging the depth of the level and jump too far back resulting in a game over.

Otherwise the game is great!

phanphare

Banned

I would say play around with the catsuit. it has a deeper moveset than one might think when first using it

Blues1990

During my playthough of Super Mario 3D World, I really didn't perish that much (after defeating Bowser in the 8th world map, I only lost 5 lives).
It wasn't until I got to the Bonus Realm that the difficulty had increased tenfold, causing me to lose (as of this writing) 160-odd lives.

I'm really enjoying this game so far, though I haven't had the chance to get some friends to play with me in the co-operative mode. Here are some of my favourite levels:

World 1-4: Plessie's Plunging Falls
World 2-5: Double Cherry Pass
World 3-6: Mount Must Dash
World 3 Castle: The Bullet Bill Express
World 4-3: Beep Block Skyway
World 5-2: Tricky Trapeze Theater
World 6-C: Motley Bossblob's Big Battle
World 7-Toad: Captain Toad Gets Thwomped
World 8-6: A Beam in the Dark

JoeM86

I came to post this very same thing, apart from enjoying it. I'm so disappointed right now that I just decided to quit and and try again tomorrow.

The movement feels sluggish and jumping just feels so wrong compared to Galaxy. :(

I thought that at first, but am now used to it.

Then again, I went back and played Galaxy recently and felt the same so I don't know what I expect

I would say play around with the catsuit. it has a deeper moveset than one might think when first using it

I get somewhat frustrated that many of the green stars I miss wind up being "climb a random wall with the catsuit" stars. It is a fun power up, but having to go back and replay 1-1 to get catsuits just to grab an out of the way star is not my favorite. I prefer the well hidden stars that are still accessible using an in-level power up.

I get somewhat frustrated that many of the green stars I miss wind up being "climb a random wall with the catsuit" stars. It is a fun power up, but having to go back and replay 1-1 to get catsuits just to grab an out of the way star is not my favorite. I prefer the well hidden stars that are still accessible using an in-level power up.

If a cat suit is required for a green star or a stamp, the power-up has definitely been available in that same level somewhere. If not, it means there are other methods to get to that star/stamp.

Edit: I must say, I only know that this is true as of level 6-4.

So I spent today and yesterday blitzing through the main game as i'm completely incapable of pacing myself when it comes to a well designed platformer and that was even spending a good half of yesterday on a separate file for multiplayer.

So i'm not entirely sure where this game fits to me in the grand scheme of 3D Mario. I can comfortably say that I'd put it behind Galaxy 2 which tops my list, however its definitely on par with the first Galaxy and just a little bit ahead of 64 with stronger platforming obstacles to contend with but lacks the control finesse of those two titles.

I expected 3D World to be to 3D Land what NSMB Wii was to its DS counterpart, that is taking the same format, throwing in multiplayer and greatly improving on the level design and in that respect I feel like that's exactly what I got here. I think therein is the thing about this game for me, it is exactly what I expected, nothing more, nothing less leaving me appreciating this as one of my favourite games of the year but not a definitive number one, of course there's still content to come and if the late game was any indication things are going to heat up.

Slot machine music is great. Glad to see that track get some love.

It's been a long time coming but we finally got our long awaited remix.

If a cat suit is required for a green star or a stamp, the power-up has definitely been available in that same level somewhere. If not, it means there are other methods to get to that star/stamp.

Edit: I must say, I only know that this is true as of level 6-4.

I was pretty sure there were some stars that I had to catsuit-backtrack for. I'll have to go back sometime and look for specifics - I was pretty sure I ran into some levels that lacked the cat bell. But, to be fair, I can't give specifics. So maybe I'm crazy.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The only two times I remember an out-of-stage powerup being required were for warp zones and the easter egg in the first post-game stage.

The only reasons you might not see the required item for a level somewhere are A) you did not look hard enough (some of those gun-heads can be really well hidden) or B) you were small Mario so it gave you a mushroom instead.

There are very few if any instances of requiring you bring something from out of level, though I am bothered by character-specific buttons.

Reknoc

Popped into my local grainger on my lunch break and picked the game up. £3 more than amazon but it's a small price to pay to actually play it during the weekend since amazon primes "next day" is now apparently "eventually"

The only reasons you might not see the required item for a level somewhere are A) you did not look hard enough (some of those gun-heads can be really well hidden) or B) you were small Mario so it gave you a mushroom instead.

There are very few if any instances of requiring you bring something from out of level, though I am bothered by character-specific buttons.

That might actually be the case - I took a ton of hits on the fire block stage.

Top Bottom