• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Berordn

Question about unlocking something:

Do I need to beat the enemy blockades and mystery houses with each character to unlock the hidden stamps or just the stages with flagpoles at the end?

Yes, anything that has individual character completion status needs to be finished to get the character stickers.

SCReuter

BaMfpx2CIAA6GC_.jpg:large

Aww.

I kind of wish I knew which stages were 30 second time clock dashes in the bonuses worlds before I enter them so I'd be able to not pick Peach/5th and instead pick Toad lol

OryoN

Possible interpretations:

A) This fun game is my personal distraction from all the fighting in my home.
B) Mom and dad have playful fights over (multiplayer?) aspects of the game.
C) Mom and dad usually fights, but this fun game brings them together.

Not sure how exactly to interpret. I would eliminate B, simply because it would have been easier to say mom and dad loves the game. So C would be my preferred choice. A would be very sad indeed.

So.. what happens if you touch the leaf?
I keep hearing people avoid it like the plague but why?

You get the white Tanooki suit, gives you star and tanooki for the entire level. You can use it to beat a stage ala Super Guide, but you aren't given full credit for beating the stage. You can still 100% the game but you won't get the sparkling stars on your save file. If you beat a stage without using the white tanooki suit that you previously beat with the WTS you'll be able to get full credit for beating a stage. The box showing up does not impact your ability to get full credit and 100% on a stage.

Roo

You get the white Tanooki suit, gives you star and tanooki for the entire level. You can use it to beat a stage ala Super Guide, but you aren't given full credit for beating the stage. You can still 100% the game but you won't get the sparkling stars on your save file. If you beat a stage without using the white tanooki suit that you previously beat with the WTS you'll be able to get full credit for beating a stage. The box showing up does not impact your ability to get full credit and 100% on a stage.

That's it?
I thought it was something worse lol

If another person in co-op uses it, does it count against the sparkling stars? One of my friends used it while we were playing together.

Power-up-less final level run update.

I started with 160+ lives and am now down to 47.
I managed to get a glimpse of the second green star before I died so that's something I guess. :/

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
How stupid of Nintendo to have launched this game on the same day as the PS4 launch in the UK.

1345606456713.gif

Wow. This hits me right in the feels so hard it's not even funny.

I was 6 when Mario 3 came out. Shortly after getting it, it became my most favored game. Most of my fondest childhood gaming memories involve me playing that game with my mom. However, when she wasn't playing the game with me her and my dad could be heard in the living room fighting away. Usually over her drinking, his lack of money, or some issue in between. I remember many nights of closing my door, and losing myself inside that game.

Stupid, or tactical? I can think of no other reason for it to have been delayed a week.

Completely tactical. You can tell that this game was finished literally months ago. Nintendo is the one company that will hold a game months to release it up against its competition, whereas every other company seems to rush their games out the door usually in a broken, buggy mess.

Completely tactical. You can tell that this game was finished literally months ago. Nintendo is the one company that will hold a game months to release it up against its competition, whereas every other company seems to rush their games out the door usually in a broken, buggy mess.
Plus this actually gives exposure to Nintendo gaming sections, even if they're initially there to pick up a PS4. A sale is a sale

JoeM86

Indeed. There was a day one patch for AC4 on the Wii U...it was over 1GB. I mean what the hell is that?

Nintendo waits for the right time with their games, delays them if necessary. Never rushing.

Kyzon

I just played some stages with 4 players for the first time. We all played viewing the gamepad since we were hanging at Starbucks. Amazing fun.

My PS4 is still in the box and I'm playing Mario. The PS4 has no game.

I bought all 3 next gen consoles, and Mario has taken up about 10x the time I've spent with the other two consoles combined.

Insane really. This game is beautiful. I just wish nintendo could hit this magic a little more often.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I played first two stages together with my girlfriend before going to work. The games is so beautiful on my beamer. Plays like a charm too. Now I can't wait to go back home.

Zomba13

So I burst out laughing when I blew the screen and saw the tiny goomba's roll and get blown away. I keep doing it and it keeps making me laugh. I love this game and I just got to World 3.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Are you buying it for your kids by the way?

Yes. Absolutely.

Stupid, or tactical? I can think of no other reason for it to have been delayed a week.

Given how incredibly stupid Nintendo have been relative to WiiU. I'm voting for stupid.

My PS4 is still in the box and I'm playing Mario. The PS4 has no game.

Give your PS4 to smokeydave. He'll play it.

dock

Played this for a few hours last night. Had to force myself to stop to go to bed. Had to resist playing before going to work. Don't recall the last time any game was so compelling oh god.

Also, my GF played for a little while, and oh wow... she can't run! She walks through the game, because she can't run while jumping! She never plays games, and I wasn't quite prepared for how difficult a platform game would be for someone that hasn't played anything in over 20 years. But she loves the cat suit.

I also love that she's willing to try playing it, and the only reason she doesn't want to play it is that she's worried that people will make fun of her for sucking at it.

Top Bottom