• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

corn_fest

Entrecôte;91779256 said:
Is this game good to play on tablet controller? Or does it demand a pad.

I've had zero problems using the Gamepad. With the run button, it kinda reminds me of Super Mario 64 DS, in terms of controls.

I'm gonna agree with CassSept about the control and camera points, I'm pretty well versed in my 3D Mario and pride myself on my jump accuracy in the other 3D games but here I've had a few occasions of cocking up even the smallest of jumps where I just had trouble placing it, partly because it carries over the 3D Land jumping style where the earliest running jump you can make is deceivingly sluggish.

Multiplayer went down very well, ahead of NSMBWii/U, on par with Rayman Origins/Legends. I played up to World 5 and it brought two points to mind that don't factor much into single player.
- Points are finally worth something at long last, bragging rights to the stage victor. Everyone pretends they don't care that much but lets face it they do, everyone wants to be the guy wearing the crown and some may even kill for it, it's the return of Four Swords style co-op mixed with counter op.
- All players sharing the same stash of lives on top of how much trickier things can get with more players means that 1 ups actually become something of worth once more, they're noticeably rarer than in Multiplayer NSMB games as well. My friend remarked "I don't know i'f I'm happy or ashamed that we're on the verge of a game over in a Mario game for once", yeah it's a bit of both.

One glaring flaw that really bugs me is that running into another player has you pick them up, shove three or more players onto a platforming intensive section with small platforms requiring running jumps and inevitably things are going to get messier with accidental lifts. Beep Block highway was probably the highlight of the multiplayer run, I look forward to resuming the MP file some point soon.

NotLiquid

Can I just say that for a majority of the game I've just been taking my time, strutting along as Peach and admiring her in all her Cat Suit glory

She is just too fucking adorable

I have the strangest feelings, don´t want it to end but can´t wait to play more.

I don´t get that some say this is not a replayable game. I will be playing this game a lot, multiple characters, MP and going to try for the first time speed runs.

Boogiepop

No checkpoint. You pass by the stars and stamp along the way.

Yeah, they're all straightforward.
It is possible to miss the 3rd one though, depending on how you react to that section.

Thanks guys. I'm getting a LITTLE better at it but it's time for another break, it would seem.
I've made it past that last blast block staircase ten times now, KIND OF got it down, but not entirely and it's still a huge frustration. I actually made it past the second Green Star once, too. Got to what I'm assuming is halfway through the floating water part, where it turns around, before I died that time. I mostly need to get down the parts with the rolling spikes and moving platforms, as those both seem to hit me more often than not.
But yeah, my hand's cramping up, so I'm guessing it's time for another break. I'm starting to think that once I finally get this, I'm gong to miss the gold flag or some crap, haha. Maybe I should bring along a cat suit or something in my sub-menu just to be safe... hm...

Berordn

I have the strangest feelings, don´t want it to end but can´t wait to play more.

I don´t get that some say this is not a replayable game. I will be playing this game a lot, multiple characters, MP and going to try for the first time speed runs.

In terms or actual replay value there isn't much to do except play the game again for some minute rewards, which isn't everyone's cup of tea.

After I reach a point I'm going to just have to put it down myself, before getting those last few stickers. It'll be fun to come back to a few months later, but marathoning to 100% completion would just wear me down.

This will keep me afloat for the next 5 hours until I'm back home playing this game.

So damn good!

I think the last time I had this much fun with a game was, well big surprise, Super Mario Galaxy 2 :)

Gartooth

Finished! (well aside from getting the character portrait stamps if I ever feel like it)

Incredible incredible game, well worth $60, and a game I won't soon forget for many reasons.
I'm so glad to be free of Mystery House Marathon.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I don't understand how someone could think that 3D World's camera compares unfavorably to Galaxy.

Go play Luigi's Purple Coins again. The one and only reason why that stage is difficult is because the camera itself is the main obstacle that has to be overcome.

I don't think there was a single jump that I missed in 3DW that felt like it was anything but my fault.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
have not seen this so I can only guess that is the stage I skipped because it was locked behind 80 green stars now that I have 90+ stars I need to go back

I am trying not to rush though this game
It's actually a hidden stage so you'll have to explore the map a bit to find it.

Why do people make it sound like the Galaxy games play like 64/Sunshine?

Maybe I don't remember them all correctly, but in 64/sunshine, you would enter the same level everytime, and be able to get different stars depending on some little changes to enemies or something smaller like that. But in the galaxy games, the whole level would often be completely different depending what star you picked at the beginning. In galaxy you could almost never get a different star than the one you had selected at the start.

Tak3n

Banned
Ok, I am a big Nintendo fan, and Lego City and Zombi U are two of my GOTY's.

Today I am officially worried for the Wii U in the UK, I popped into buy the game at our local branch of Game, which is in a town of 60,000 and serves the surrounding villages and is the closet game for probably about 130,000 people...

Went in at 4.30pm and was expected to be told they had sold out, when I asked the manager laughed and pointed to the shelf behind him, he got 20 in and I was the first customer to buy it all day :(

He was not a stupid price either same as most other retailers (physical stores)

that can not be good can it?

Davey Cakes

I'm surprised some people have issues with the controls. I can understand being disappointed that the characters aren't as acrobatic as in previous games (even though the powerups make up for it) but in terms of general controls I've had no real issues pulling off back flips, side flips, long jumps, etc. Seems pretty fluid to me.

Anyway, I just started World 6 and I have about 6:51 on the clock.

mxgt

Banned
Ok, I am a big Nintendo fan, and Lego City and Zombi U are two of my GOTY's.

Today I am officially worried for the Wii U in the UK, I popped into buy the game at our local branch of Game, which is in a town of 60,000 and serves the surrounding villages and is the closet game for probably about 130,000 people...

Went in at 4.30pm and was expected to be told they had sold out, when I asked the manager laughed and pointed to the shelf behind him, he got 20 in and I was the first customer to buy it all day :(

He was not a stupid price either same as most other retailers (physical stores)

that can not be good can it?

Wii U is pretty much dead here. No one knows about it, no one cares.

Except us few!

Started playing today, I was enjoying it and then I got to the
super mario kart themed level in world 3
and it put a huge smile on my face and vaulted the game into GOTY territory

FSLink

Banned
Why do people make it sound like the Galaxy games play like 64/Sunshine?

Maybe I don't remember them all correctly, but in 64/sunshine, you would enter the same level everytime, and be able to get different stars depending on some little changes to enemies or something smaller like that. But in the galaxy games, the whole level would often be completely different depending what star you picked at the beginning. In galaxy you could almost never get a different star than the one you had selected at the start.

Yup, it was really linear, with maybe like half the stages using the same "level" but you take a different branch instead for the star and explore a different part of the level while the other half was completely different.

As much as I loved the Galaxy games, I prefer 3D World here. They're both linear, but it gets to the actual platforming much faster.

The thing about collectibles in this game is they are integrated perfectly into the level design. It's not a "collect-a-thon", even though there is some basic requirement to collect them (which honestly I feel is unnecessary, except for unlocking the bonus worlds and stages). If you aren't having fun looking for the stamps and green stars, then you're basically not enjoying the level design on a fundamental level, because doing that stuff is part of what makes the game challenging and exciting.

Collectibles in this game have never bothered me. It only adds replay value, but if I don't get a certain star, I'm like, "Eh, whatever." When I went through the main game for the first time, I didn't go after every star in every level. If I found one I grabbed it, but I made no effort to get them all on the first go. Mostly to give me an incentive to replay the game, but some of it is because I know I'll only get frustrated if I'm determined to get every star, every stamp, before moving on.

zroid

Banned
Collectibles in this game have never bothered me. It only adds replay value, but if I don't get a certain star, I'm like, "Eh, whatever." When I went through the main game for the first time, I didn't go after every star in every level. If I found one I grabbed it, but I made no effort to get them all on the first go. Mostly to give me an incentive to replay the game, but some of it is because I know I'll only get frustrated if I'm determined to get every star, every stamp, before moving on.

Yeah, I don't think it's necessary to feel that desire to grab everything, especially on your first time through each level, but at the same time, it shouldn't feel like it's a chore. That's not how the game is supposed to work.

Also........

5si4.png

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
World 5-4 is a rather strange level considering it displays one of the flaws of the graphic engine.
But the secret Luigi is pretty cool.

EDIT: Speak of the devil.

zroid

Banned
World 5-4 is a rather strange level considering it displays one of the flaws of the graphic engine.
But the secret Luigi is pretty cool.

EDIT: Speak of the devil.

I know right? What were they thinking with that glare?

i1aT8lJitq9gv.jpg

OryoN

I know the feeling. I kinda limit myself to 1 or 2 levels each play session. I had the game since day one, and I'm only in World 3(although, I didn't get to play every day). I could 'easily' tear through this game if I wanted, but I just love taking my time to admire all the beauty, awesome level design, and charm this game is constantly throwing at me. I did the free-lives trick just so I can play the game in this manner - fool around and stuff!

I don't understand what's the deal with rushing toward the end of such an amazing game, especially with so much visual charm to soak in, not to mention secrets. They should have an option to turn off the timer once you beat the game. That'd would be the only reason I'd hurry to beat it. :D

ffdgh

Yeah, I don't think it's necessary to feel that desire to grab everything, especially on your first time through each level, but at the same time, it shouldn't feel like it's a chore. That's not how the game is supposed to work.

Also........

5si4.png

sup weegee

Cosmozone

Well, I got it. Couldn't be helped I guess. I've just started the game and played up to the first Bowser fight and already had some big smiles. I like how in one of the first levels, getting the stamp teaches you getting on top of the flagpole. Always those little things.

Wanna take my time but it's not going to work as usual. That boss level music is fantastic!

El Odio

Banned
The only two times I remember an out-of-stage powerup being required were for warp zones and the easter egg in the first post-game stage.
If you're talking about the hidden area behind the wall in
star-1
there's actually a hidden block next to it with the needed power-up.

Boogiepop

Oh man,
got to the part where you have to pick up the keys on the dash panels and I got killed by the one not in the square when going for a corner key. :(
I can taste the end now, though!

It was doing it at Snowball park but I just tried it again & it was fine.

Screen was acting how it would if I were to go too far from the Wii U even though I am next to it. Hopefully it won't do it again.

I am loving the game so far.

Andrew.

Banned
Sounds like the Euros are diggin it. Awesome.

Star World has been kicking my ass. I resulted in running through most normal levels again just to stock up on lives since I fail at the koopa shell trick in 1-2. I was drained of 30+ lives in Rainbow Run. I havent even finished Super Galaxy =/

Regarding Rainbow Run and those unlit torches:
the Link bonus stage! So good! I loved how they played the theme after you completed it

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The first few levels of Star World are definitely a sucker-punch in difficulty. It levels off for a bit after that though.

I think the final stage of that world might be my favorite in the game. Just the right level of challenge. I'd have to think on it, though.

Top Bottom