• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Kenka

download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download

:-(

69wpm

download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download download or not download

Do+It.gif

Tricky Trapeze pissed me off yesterday. Spent that time going up to see Captain Toad - got nothin for it. Hi Toad. Weird that you're up here and cant jump. Don't have a star for me? Fuck off.

Also, for whatever reason, I keep BOUNCING OFF THE TRAPEZE SWINGS. I'm probably double thumbing a button really fast or something, but goddamn, getting to the last trapeze at the level, finally got all my stars & stamps, making the jump - and then just sliding off the trapeze to my death? HRHGHRHGHRHGHG

I fucking love this game, by the way. :)

ffdgh

Wait or not wait wait or not wait....well either way you wait but if downloading is faster you know what you must do :D.

spliced

There was only one green star I remember specifically getting a suit to help me with but all this talk inspired me to get it without that suit. I think it's the toughest one in the game, but I'm sure there's some people that can get it pretty easily. It's the second star in
Bowser's Lava Lake Keep

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So, what's the consensus on how to play this? I have all options at my disposal.
Gamepad is good, and required for a small number of stages.
Pro Controller and Classic Controller Pro are also good.
Remote + Nunchuck might take a little getting used to, but functionally it seems just as good.
Original Classic Controller is not ideal due to the ZL/ZR buttons.
Remote alone is also poor due to the placement of the B button.

There was only one green star I remember specifically getting a suit to help me with but all this talk inspired me to get it without that suit. I think it's the toughest one in the game, but I'm sure there's some people that can get it pretty easily. It's the second star in
Bowser's Lava Lake Keep
Is that the one you wall-jump for above lava?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So is Knack apparently, knowing its price list is £52.99 and it's one of the cheapest PS4 games.

I advise you to get Mario 3D World on Game's website, I saw it too late: you can download it for £42.99 (should have been the eshop price).

Thanks marc^o^. I think we've now organised a family member to buy it for one of our sons for Xmas on Amazon unless I can find a good price, around £40 at a retail shop.
I'm going to try our local indie and maybe Argos.

It's telling how poor WiiU is doing in the UK that you can't just pop into your local supermarket to buy it cheap.

Shinta

Banned
You know, it pains me to say this. As much as I love this game and think its fully amazing, I think its slightly overrated. The levels are just too short, linear and simple to hold my full attention and wonder on the same level that the previous 3D games did.

I took this over to my brothers' place to show them tonight. They're huge 3D Mario fans, and all they knew is that this was "the next Mario." Brought the system over and everything to show them.

Their skepticism and eventual disinterest made me face what I kind of thought all along. As much as I love the game, the linearity in the levels is just not comparable to the bigger 64/Sunshine/Galaxy series for me, or for them. It doesn't mean this is a bad game, I love the 2D ones too, including NSMB U, a lot. But it just means that I probably have to put this game closer to the level of the NSMB series than I wanted to acknowledge initially.

They tried to be nice and act excited, but it was clear they were forcing it, and I kind of was too. It's not the same as when I showed them Galaxy, or when we ran through 64 and Sunshine. It's a fine platformer, of the highest quality. But it's not the "must see" event I hoped it was initially. Even 3D Land has the 3D vision as something truly new to compliment the level design.

I'd probably have to rank the games like this.

1) SM Sunshine
2) SM 64
3) SM Galaxy 1
4) SM Galaxy 2
5) Mario 3D Land
6) Mario 3D World
7) NSMB U
8) SM World

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Denofgeek.com just posted a deep 10/10 review
In the end, Super Mario 3D World winds up being everything you could ever want in a Mario game on Wii U, whether you’re a fan of the New Super Mario Bros. style of games, or the more open-ended affairs like Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine. Nintendo has become an expert at looking at their own series, and as a result, Super Mario 3D takes all of the best components from every substantial Mario game before it, and matches them with vigorous new ideas and concepts that could easily keep Mario fresh and exciting for the long foreseeable future. And while the core game is a shimmering masterpiece, the introduction of 4-player co-op is a total game changer for how we’ll think about 3D Mario games going forward. If you own a Wii U right now, then Super Mario 3D World is a required purchase for your game collection; and if you’re still on the fence about getting Nintendo’s latest home console, then it’s never been a better time to go and pick one up.
This review made me want to invite friends tonight, I need to play this game with real competition :)

Reknoc

Thanks marc^o^. I think we've now organised a family member to buy it for one of our sons for Xmas on Amazon unless I can find a good price, around £40 at a retail shop.
I'm going to try our local indie and maybe Argos.

It's telling how poor WiiU is doing in the UK that you can't just pop into your local supermarket to buy it cheap.

Every other console must be doing abysmally as well then. I don't even remember the last time I could get a good deal from a supermarket.

The Boat

I fail to see a big difference in linearity compared to the Galaxy games. There were a few levels where you could branch off but asides from that, the levels were more linear than 3D World and there much less incentive to explore, it was much more straightforward.

Nudull

Banned
Finally got my Wii U and started playing. It is incredibly addictive, already. XD

Also, is it me, or does Peach feel a bit broken in World 1?

Tricky Trapeze pissed me off yesterday. Spent that time going up to see Captain Toad - got nothin for it. Hi Toad. Weird that you're up here and cant jump. Don't have a star for me? Fuck off.

Also, for whatever reason, I keep BOUNCING OFF THE TRAPEZE SWINGS. I'm probably double thumbing a button really fast or something, but goddamn, getting to the last trapeze at the level, finally got all my stars & stamps, making the jump - and then just sliding off the trapeze to my death? HRHGHRHGHRHGHG

I fucking love this game, by the way. :)
Be better, Bobby.
As much as I love the game, the linearity in the levels is just not comparable to the bigger 64/Sunshine/Galaxy series for me, or for them.

How were Galaxy 1/2 any less linear than 3D World?
Exactly. The levels in 3D World are less linear than those in Galaxy 1 or 2. If there's not two ways to complete a level, there's so much more to discover than in your typical Galaxy level. There's also a non-linearity to the power-up structure, so that depending on what you have you tackle the level in different ways.

There's nothing like Sprawling Savannah in either Galaxy 1 or 2. Not even close.

Shinta

Banned
How were Galaxy 1/2 any less linear than 3D World?

Linear might have been the wrong word. The levels were just bigger and felt like there was more to explore. In Galaxy you still repeat levels for each objective. In 3D World, you can get all the star coins and the stamp in one 5 minute run. That's fine, but I just prefer to have more substantial levels with more space to look around. I don't think you could put 6 star coins in a 3D World level that would justify replaying it 6x.

Linear might have been the wrong word. The levels were just bigger and felt like there was more to explore. In Galaxy you still repeat levels for each objective. In 3D World, you can get all the star coins and the stamp in one 5 minute run. That's fine, but I just prefer to have more substantial levels with more space to look around. I don't think you could put 6 star coins in a 3D World level that would justify replaying it 6x.
That's probably because the structures of the game are different. In Galaxy, you'd go back to a galaxy and access a different part of the stage to get each star, where in this game you get all the stars in one stage. The average Galaxy level, as it is, is comparable in length to the average 3D World level. Galaxy levels may be 8 - 10 minutes long, while 3D World is 6 - 8.

The Boat

Galaxy levels might "feel" bigger, but they aren't and there certainly wasn't more to explore. While you can get all the stars and stamp in one 5 minute run, in practice, that's not what happens except for some levels.

It's certainly OK to prefer Galaxy's style, they're different games that do different things, and that's great, but 3D World levels definitely have more to explore and master, not to mention more different ways to play.

DeaviL

Banned
Yesterday i went into a store because their website said the game was available, got told: Sorry, we can only give you this the 29th.
Walk in today to get told: "Sorry, sold out".......

Porcile

Up to World 5 and I'm not seeing the linearity complaints in comparison to Galaxy. Other than a few levels it's essentially the same structure. Got to say this game is goddamn marvelous looking. The final level in World 4 is absolutely beautiful.

Shinta

Banned
3D World levels definitely have more to explore and master, not to mention more different ways to play.

I completely disagree. You can complete all the levels in the game with all star coins and stamp obtained in one run that only takes a couple minutes. Each Galaxy level you replay 6x for different objectives, which is 6 different ways to approach each level, minimum.

Everyone that mentions it tells me I'm a dolt for not signing up for Prime.

The problem is that it's so good when it works, which makes it twice as frustrating when it doesn't. You expect a certain level of service and when you don't get it (usually when it counts) it's a pain in the arse.

Boogiepop

(True Final Level spoilers) Oh man,
Crown-Crown
is kicking the crap out of me. Need to take another break, haha.
Got to the part after the Magikoopas three times now, but those Beat Blocks right before them are super, super tricky still for me. Is there at least a midpoint flag at some point in this level? Also, are ALL the stars and stamps at least kindly placed right in your path like the first one?

This is going to take some doing for sure.

I completely disagree. You can complete all the levels in the game with all star coins and stamp obtained in one run that only takes a couple minutes. Each Galaxy level you replay 6x for different objectives, which is 6 different ways to approach each level, minimum.

Well, if you enjoy playing the same stage six times, more power to you.

Then again, you put fuckin' Mario Sunshine at #1, so maybe you're just really big into bad Mario collectathons

ohlawd

Crown-Crown
Got to the part after the Magikoopas three times now, but those Beat Blocks right before them are super, super tricky still for me. Is there at least a midpoint flag at some point in this level? Also, are ALL the stars and stamps at least kindly placed right in your path like the first one?

No checkpoint. You pass by the stars and stamp along the way.

CrisKre

Some levels require certain characters to complete fully. There are also more levels here than in galaxy, and each objective in galaxy follows a straight path ( tied to whichever star you select in most cases).

Busaiku

Crown-Crown

Yeah, they're all straightforward.
It is possible to miss the 3rd one though, depending on how you react to that section.

BlackJace

And keep in mind that each stage in Galaxy is remixed for each objective, you don't really have the WHOLE level to explore each time you visit it.

Sendou

Good stuff. I don't use word "magical" often but allow me to use it here. Absolutely magical game. EAD Tokyo comes through on every sector. Game keeps surprising me too. I'm very early (mid-World 3) into the game too. I've pretty much come across every level I saw in trailers. I'm most pleased with this. I initially thought some of those levels were only to appear way later but apparently not.

OST is among the best I've heard but that's to be expected at this point.

Tried multiplayer a bit. Pretty chaotic even with two players. Fun stuff still. Genuinely made me laugh quite a few times.

The Boat

In 3D World you need not only plenty of skill to obtain a lot of star and stamps, you need to explore and pay attention. This doesn't happen nearly on the same level in Galaxy, choosing what is essentially a different mission in the same level that leads you on a straight path to the objective isn't the same thing. And again, different characters allow different ways to play.

Sadist

Completed World 1. Didn't watch the time limit, too busy looking for stuff. I guess it cost me about half an hour to get all the green stars. Taking my sweet time. First world is a typical 3D Mario introduction to the game.

Really dig the catsuit.

CassSept

The further I get the more amazing it becomes.
World Bowser was truly legit. The first one and light road are my favs, they are challenging, but not ridiculously hard. I got 3 stars and stamp on both of them on the first try, but it really felt like I earned it.

And it only gets better!
Star-2, oh my oh my oh my so good

Still, I feel very conflicted about the game. I have a ton of fun, level design is pretty sweet, but it's not flawless. My main gripes so far are:

- the level design is very tight. Incredibly tight. Amazingly so. But, as insane as it may sound, it feels (to me[/u), too tight. As beautiful as some of the locales are, something is off. The design of the game is too rigid and it's been really bothering me. Then again, this might be because of

- the controls. It feels weird to complain about the controls in a Mario game, but I sadly can't avoid that. Again, they are impressively tight, but they tip over the border. I feel like there is no finesse that made Galaxy games so enjoyable to play. Surprisingly, the run button isn't even that bothering, I definitely expected this to be my main problem with the controls, but in the end it ain't so bad. However, it still makes for some weird button inputs (which aren't as bad on a proper controller as they were on 3DS). More problematic for me are weird two-gear run speed, disappointing long jump, lack of triple jump and some very weird jump controls. I have no problem operating Mario as long as he is on the ground, but as soon as I jump I have problems landing in the spot I aimed for. It's weird, as that hardly been a problem for me in the past (and I think I'm pretty good at Mario games). It sometimes causes unnecessary deaths that, well, are quite annoying. This leads me to another point, that is

- camera. Again, Galaxy games had impeccable camera, even more impressive as it was automatic. SM3DW suffers from very weird perspectives way too often for a Mario game. A sizable amount of my deaths were caused by under/overshooting jumps which I was certain would land. It's not really the most glaring of flaws and it doesn't happen that often to be a serious detractor, but I still think it happens way too often.
As a side note, during fight with Bowser I outrun the screen several times which was pretty weird for a 3D game
At last,

- green stars. Oh my, green stars. This game, much like 3DL and NSMB series suffers from a severe case of Rare-itis. The amount of collectables is staggering, but it crosses the border. I'm very content with one star medal. Two collectables would still be great. Three is pushing it. Four, three green stars AND a stamp in nearly every level of the game is too much. They are a nice gimmick for extending life of the game, but here EAD Tokyo took it too far. It will sound weird to some, but I had most fun with the game when I just disregarded the stars and blindly pushed on, running at top speed and trying to jump through obstacles. Variety is nice, but pure platforming stages are best and often green stars distracted me from truly enjoying the game to the fullest. Yet, I can't truly ignore them ever because they are necessary for progress in the endgame.

Overall, it's a fantastic game. But, at the same time, out of all console 3D Marios, sans Sunshine, I find this to be the most flawed one. I'd love for EAD Tokyo to return to the more adventurous style of Mario games, but only time will tell. For now, I'll just enjoy what I have because this sure is one hell of a ride.

zroid

Banned
The thing about collectibles in this game is they are integrated perfectly into the level design. It's not a "collect-a-thon", even though there is some basic requirement to collect them (which honestly I feel is unnecessary, except for unlocking the bonus worlds and stages). If you aren't having fun looking for the stamps and green stars, then you're basically not enjoying the level design on a fundamental level, because doing that stuff is part of what makes the game challenging and exciting.

JoeM86

I've been playing since 2pm today, middle of World 5, and I absolutely love it. Have to go out this evening but I'm stuck in the "oh just one more level" mentality.

It's amazing. At first I was worried I'd dislike it because the controls felt sluggish, but now...

Had some multiplayer fun with my brother...the levels got too hectic for both of us to play though as he depleted my life reserves

Top Bottom