• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

So I've been playing this for about a day or so and of course it's fantastic. Kinda goes without saying at this point. I was at work today literally counting down the hours until I could come home and play some more. Only Mario has the ability to regress me to a child.

One thing I will say in relation to the whole difficulty angle is that I appreciate that with the four characters there's effectively a built in difficulty setting that you can change on the fly. I was finding a couple of levels tricky while playing through as Mario so I 'bumped it down to Peach' (which is a fantastic catchphrase) and had fun without feeling like I was being reprimanded.

Also that
Mario Kart
stage. Im gonna need this soundtrack soonish.

Sounds like the Euros are diggin it. Awesome.

Star World has been kicking my ass. I resulted in running through most normal levels again just to stock up on lives since I fail at the koopa shell trick in 1-2. I was drained of 30+ lives in Rainbow Run. I havent even finished Super Galaxy =/

if you want to continue to explore and get better try the shell trick a few times the secret is you just have to land on it you don't have to press buttons after you land it

It was tricky for me a few times but the extra lives makes it easier to goof around and explore

this game does have cool stuff to find

Andrew.

Banned
if you want to continue to explore and get better try the shell trick a few times the secret is you just have to land on it you don't have to press buttons after you land it

It was tricky for me a few times but the extra lives makes it easier to goof around and explore

this game does have cool stuff to find

Im gonna have to search YT for a vid of the shell trick. I want 800+ lives.

Melrochian

Neo Member
Just got to World 3, game is amazing so far, but judging by the comments on this topic the game gets much better from now on, am I right?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
It seems that GAME UK were distracted by a certain launch of another console, because I and a lot of other people still haven't received their pre-ordered copy of the furry sleeve edition.

Final boss battle lived up to the hype. Definitely one of the best final boss battles in a Mario title. What's great about it is that it's a fun level on top of having the best production values of the entire game. It won't be a bore to replay.

EDIT: Except, of course, for the fact that you can't skip the credits because WHY WOULD YOU EVER WANT TO :|

So I've been playing this for about a day or so and of course it's fantastic. Kinda goes without saying at this point. I was at work today literally counting down the hours until I could come home and play some more. Only Mario has the ability to regress me to a child.

One thing I will say in relation to the whole difficulty angle is that I appreciate that with the four characters there's effectively a built in difficulty setting that you can change on the fly. I was finding a couple of levels tricky while playing through as Mario so I 'bumped it down to Peach' (which is a fantastic catchphrase) and had fun without feeling like I was being reprimanded.

Also that
Mario Kart
stage. Im gonna need this soundtrack soonish.

This is spot on. No wonder I don't get the difficulty complaints -- I play Toad :p

This game. THIS game.

WiiU_screenshot_TV_0145D_zps5ac5d488.jpg

WiiU_screenshot_TV_0145D_zpsb777065f.jpg

Robin64

I've made it to
Flower-3 (Piranha Creeper Creek After Dark)
and have been there for about half an hour now, just getting my arse kicked repeatedly. Damn, this game got hard.

Are people having problems getting Mario 3D World? It's sold out on GameStops Website, at my local GameStop, and at Wal Mart. I'm going to check K Mart next. Just wondering if its normal right now.

Yuterald

Finished this afternoon! Loved it. Gathered all Green Stars and Stamps leading up to the post-game stuff (except for that fucking ninja house stamp...where is that shit!?). One of my favorite, if not favorite, final boss stages in any 3D Mario game too. Here's some of my fav tracks in the game:

Puffpord Peaks
Lave Rock Lair

I think Puffpord Peaks is my favorite track in the entire game. It's got that Dire Dire Docks-like vibe. So ridiculously relaxing. It's tracks like this that make me excited for the next 3D Mario game.

Are people having problems getting Mario 3D World? It's sold out on GameStops Website, at my local GameStop, and at Wal Mart. I'm going to check K Mart next. Just wondering if its normal right now.

well you are trying on Black Friday

even though a lot of people hate it Nintendo does tend to fall back on eShop Downloads and never seems to over ship retail anymore

Mogwai

When I picked up my copy at Gamestop I was told that all the copies was gone except for the ones that were reserved for preorders. So it seems like there's a decent demand for the game.

Noob Fu

I'm loving this game but I play with the pro-controller. I feel that the levels that force you to use the Gamepad are a gimmick. Not a fan of blowing on the controller or clicking on the screen to open doors, etc. Other than that it is one of the top games of the year for me.

well you are trying on Black Friday

even though a lot of people hate it Nintendo does tend to fall back on eShop Downloads and never seems to over ship retail anymore

Actually Wal Mart was out Thursday morning around 9 AM. The rest, you are right. Checking Kmart now but they had them at $49, so not expecting it to be available either TBH.

Anyway, I wonder how much that will affect sales for the game....

Boogiepop

And 100% done, outside of finishing all the levels with the non-Mario characters, which I guess I'll do through multiplayer or something. That true final level was HARD. Maybe it's because I just got plowed through it, but I think it may be the hardest Mario level yet.
Also, thought the dead-ends in the "Thank You" dropped you to oblivion and I failed to avoid one. Thought I was about to die a really lame death, but nope. FINALLY DONE!
Anyway, took me just under 19 and a half hours to do it. Not sure how much I care about
those last 4 stamps
, but for now I'll set the game down and leave it as a party game, haha.

Also, just out of curiosity: does multiplayer let you "cheat" those double cherry lifts?

Edit: I'm now realizing that probably at least a fourth of my game time went to that final stage. WOW.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Some of these levels, like the one with baseball balls and the mices in world 2, feel like a playground you'd want to never leave. I wish they had included there a soccer mini game a la Rayman Legends.

Level design in this game is something else, EAD is still some years ahead of other studios in this field.

Actually Wal Mart was out Thursday morning around 9 AM. The rest, you are right. Checking Kmart now but they had them at $49, so not expecting it to be available either TBH.

Anyway, I wonder how much that will affect sales for the game....

kinda still not expecting it to be top 5 in NPDs I even worry for top 10 to be honest
just hope I am wrong and it is not just a low shipment causing your trouble finding a copy

Some of these levels, like the one with baseball balls and the mices in world 2, feel like a playground you'd want to never leave. I wish they had included there a soccer mini game a la Rayman Legends.

Level design in this game is something else, EAD is still some years ahead of other studios in this field.

I wish you could turn off the clock at some of these stages

ohlawd

kinda still not expecting it to be top 5 in NPDs I even worry for top 10 to be honest
just hope I am wrong and it is not just a low shipment causing your trouble finding a copy

No way it'll show up in top 10. I bet you it'll be full of launch titles like Killzone, Dead Rising 3, etc.

I wish you could turn off the clock at some of these stages

Yea, I would definitely be surprised at top 5. It may have a shot at top 10, but I'm not counting on it especially if there are any sort of shortages.

I'm guessing its mainly a low shipment, but its obviously selling better than previous Wii U titles, though that's not saying a lot.

Kmart sold out as well, FWIW.

Possum

So excited to play this game when I pick up my Wii U! It doesn't really feel like Christmas until Mario's in the house.

Got the game finally, love you all. I'm having some problems with jumps, last Mario I replayed was Galaxy 2 some months ago and now I have to get used to this style. Toad is even harder! Already saw some good level design and balls.
Underground theme needs to change, I'm tired of this remix, but overall the soundtrack feels interesting.

No way it'll show up in top 10. I bet you it'll be full of launch titles like Killzone, Dead Rising 3, etc.
that is the main reason for my worry new consoles launch means 1to1 sales of software

Yea, I would definitely be surprised at top 5. It may have a shot at top 10, but I'm not counting on it especially if there are any sort of shortages.

I'm guessing its mainly a low shipment, but its obviously selling better than previous Wii U titles, though that's not saying a lot.

Kmart sold out as well, FWIW.

is this copy for you?

NOPE

WiiU_screenshot_TV_0145D_zpsa214fb64.jpg

The music is phenomenal.

I hate those guys :(

Ok, forget my criticism earlier today. This game is awesome. Played world 3-5 with a good female friend of mine and we had a blast.

It was spectacular.

mf luder

Is there a full list of all the moves/controls somewhere? I was trying to get the timing of that spring back up after a ground pound and then I realised you just have to hold down the ground pound button!

CrisKre

How does ead tokyo achieve these graphics on Wii u at 60fps? Gat damn! Everything looks so solid!

No game last gen looked like this. None.

Is there a full list of all the moves/controls somewhere? I was trying to get the timing of that spring back up after a ground pound and then I realised you just have to hold down the ground pound button!

There's an electronic manual (push the home button and you'll see the button to get to it) that lists all the moves.

How does ead tokyo achieve these graphics on Wii u at 60fps? Gat damn! Everything looks so solid!

No game last gen looked like this. None.

I have no idea. Everything looks so clean, So round. I barely see any aliasing at all. The screens don´t do it justice. Nothing last gen comes even close. Then you realise it´s running at 60 fps. with 4 players, lot´s of stuff going on, fireballs und double cherries.

Incredible.

Top Bottom