• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Just completed world 2 and am loving it. I can't get over how good it looks and sounds. It's just on another level. Amazing that I'm only getting started.

Has to switch Miiverse off though - it's spoiler central.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Are people having problems getting Mario 3D World? It's sold out on GameStops Website, at my local GameStop, and at Wal Mart. I'm going to check K Mart next. Just wondering if its normal right now.

my GAME shop had two copies left: mine and some other guy

it looks like Nintendo shipped the right amount of units, which obviously can mean a lot of things

Level
Bowser-7. Grumblump Inferno.

Fucking kill me.

I keep on seeing people having trouble with this level. I beat it 100% the first time. (EDIT: Not trying to be a dick. I don't consider myself an amazing Mario player or anything, but I did consider this level pretty easy). Have you tried not jumping while on the cube? You can just walk to the side you're supposed to be on, it's pretty simple.

Andrew.

Banned
Yeah, I had over 20 lives when I got in and just got Game Over. The worst part was when I only had one life left and was so, so close to the pole but didn't realize the block had one more turn.

My biggest issue with that level was when I would be running up the correct edge at the way it was flipping, I would sometimes hop off into the lava. I think it might have to do with walking/running speed but Im not sure because it seemed so inconsistent.

It also couldve been the ten beers I had beforehand.

zroid

Banned
My biggest issue with that level was when I would be running up the correct edge at the way it was flipping, I would sometimes hop off into the lava. I think it might have to do with walking/running speed but Im not sure because it seemed so inconsistent.

It also couldve been the ten beers I had beforehand.

I'm not totally sure but I think the blocks spin at the same speed at full walk, so that's probably the best approach. I never seemed to have a big issue with the timing of staying on the block as it spun, just dealing with the obstacles and grabbing the green stars.

Kokonoe

Banned
BaRgwQqCQAAzlL2.jpg

Watch out for flying boots.

https://twitter.com/Seanbabydotcom/status/406556248587255808/photo/1/large

LOL

Kjellson

I keep on seeing people having trouble with this level. I beat it 100% the first time. (EDIT: Not trying to be a dick. I don't consider myself an amazing Mario player or anything, but I did consider this level pretty easy). Have you tried not jumping while on the cube? You can just walk to the side you're supposed to be on, it's pretty simple.
Hmm, I actually didn't do that very much. I'll try it tomorrow. Thanks!

Also, a question. To get an absolute perfect world map do you have to collect the green stars for every character on a level so they appear on top of the flagpole on the overworld?

The bonus character (are we still spoiler tagging this?) is GOD TIER because of
the air spin from Galaxy. Feels so good to throw out reckless long jumps again, and you can still do it out of wall jumps so EFF the catsuit because I GOT THIS.

It should be a part of every character's moveset. Do the right thing Ninty.

SM239

Hmm, I actually didn't do that very much. I'll try it tomorrow. Thanks!

Also, a question. To get an absolute perfect world map do you have to collect the green stars for every character on a level so they appear on top of the flagpole on the overworld?

To get a 100% perfect world map you only need to get all the green stars and stamps in a level as well as touching the top of the flagpole with any character. From there you can beat the level without gathering stars/stamps with the remaining characters (Including bonus character).

Once you beat the level with all characters the star on top of the overworld flag for the level will become gold. You should have a gold paw print in the top right corner on the map status screen after getting 100% in a world.

TheExodu5

Banned
I've played about a world and a half. I know it's early to be saying this, but I'm finding the game pretty boring so far. There are a lot of little ideas thrown around, but I feel the platforming is really lacking so far. The game feels tedious to me more than anything right now. I had similar feelings about SM3DL.

Andrew.

Banned
I've played about a world and a half. I know it's early to be saying this, but I'm finding the game pretty boring so far. There are a lot of little ideas thrown around, but I feel the platforming is really lacking so far. The game feels tedious to me more than anything right now. I had similar feelings about SM3DL.

Wheres that gif of all the gifs

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

You need to play more, just keep going dude.

I used the inf live trick in my multiplayer file, the two of us genuinely beat the cake layer flip stage timing our jump... Lost a lot of lives lol

Theorymon

Okay, I issue you all a challenge!

I want you guys to try to get the third green star of 1-4 (Plessie's Plunging Falls) WITHOUT getting a single coin. It's been bugging me because unlike the second Green Star of that level, It looks like its actually possible to avoid the coin rings... but I haven't been successful yet in my coinless runthrough. So I wanna see if someone better than me can prove its possible!

zroid

Banned
Got 2 more levels to go till I unlock the "final" stage. I'll save that for tomorrow.

Gonna need all the time I can spare, I reckon. D:

vall03

Holy shit!
Did the goalpost just run away and I have to chase it?!

Also noticed one big problem with Rosalina. She can't use the spin jump if she has a power-up. Really disappointed by this, unless of course theres a button for it that I haven't noticed.

FrsDvl

What is the best way to get all the flag poles? Play as peach, or attempt to keep the cat suit. I was going to leave that for last and only bother with stars and stamps for now. Got everything so far up to browser-2. Man I love this game. Hope to get some 4 player games going one of these days.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Similar to my thoughts of the first world, but everyone has told me it gets a lot better as the difficulty ramps up, which isn't all that surprising. I can recognise it's well designed, but the first world really is so unbelievable, cripplingly easy that it did a pretty poor job of grabbing me. I don't mind ease, but sometimes the scales tip too heavily in that direction and clash with player investment, and for me I definitely got that vibe from the first world.

EDIT: It doesn't help that world two is desert and I fucking hate desert.

TheExodu5

Banned
Similar to my thoughts of the first world, but everyone has told me it gets a lot better as the difficulty ramps up, which isn't all that surprising. I can recognise it's well designed, but the first world really is so unbelievable, cripplingly easy that it did a pretty poor job of grabbing me. I don't mind ease, but sometimes the scales tip too heavily in that direction and clash with player investment, and for me I definitely got that vibe from the first world.

EDIT: It doesn't help that world two is desert and I fucking hate desert.

Mario could get rid of the desert theme for good and I wouldn't miss it.

Busaiku

What is the best way to get all the flag poles? Play as peach, or attempt to keep the cat suit. I was going to leave that for last and only bother with stars and stamps for now. Got everything so far up to browser-2. Man I love this game. Hope to get some 4 player games going one of these days.
Cat Suit is the best.
On levels with solid footing, you can however spin around to get the spin jump, which gets you really high.

There are so many amazing things in this game, but my favorite may just be watching Captain Toad try to jump because it is never not hilarious.

Attempting ✿-8
Blast Block Skyway
without a Tanooki suit = NOPE

Just did that one tonight. Even with the Tanooki suit, it was tough! (though I tried to not simply fly over it..XD).

That level in 4 player Multiplayer though....So. Many. Deaths.

Post-game spoiler stuff:
So uh...I ...I need to get every star, stamp, and flagpole thus far up to Flower-12? Cus, I mean, fuck me if so XD. I just did that in 3D LAnd to get that last level and all that level does is make me hate life.

Honestly, the overworld just doesn't do it for me. The game feels a little uncohesive...disjointed. The overworld does nothing to tie the game together.

If I have a complaint about this game, this is it. This game isn't as ...'cohesive' as Galaxy. That's fine because it's a ton of fun, but Galaxy was a more 'coherent' package.
Galaxy felt more ..together just because you went into each world multiple times, so, places like, Gusty Garden Galaxy had a life of their own. Each 'level' felt like an overworld, in a sense. Galaxy 2 strayed from this and the rest is history.

Busaiku

I don't get why people are complaining about the world themes in this game, many of the levels in that world don't even adhere to that specific theme.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I don't get why people are complaining about the world themes in this game, many of the levels in that world don't even adhere to that specific theme.
And all that does is make it harder to remember which level was in which world.

Ever picked up 3D Land for a quick replay and fumble through the world select looking for something specific? Same deal here.

TheExodu5

Banned

Honestly, the overworld just doesn't do it for me. The game feels a little uncohesive...disjointed. The overworld does nothing to tie the game together.

Busaiku

That was the case in Super Mario Galaxy as well though.
With all the levels, there's nothing really to tie them together, unless they follow the 2D Super Mario formula.

zroid

Banned
And all that does is make it harder to remember which level was in which world.

Ever picked up 3D Land for a quick replay and fumble through the world select looking for something specific? Same deal here.

I think 3D Land's main problem in this regard was not having names for the courses. I can remember most of 3DW's stages by their names (not off-hand, maybe, but I can make the connections), so if I need to know where it is I'll just google it.

Some thoughts after putting in serious time the past few days:

(1) The level design is generally very good. This is an extremely high fun-per-minute game. I caught myself giggling with delight at Kuribo's Skate and
a flagpole dashing away from me
. It's a good sign when I'm sad that I only get X number of levels focused on a particular gimmick. Of course the levels are too easy, and even the green stars can't turn this into NSMBU's challenge mode, but there are still plenty of fun things to do, and multiplayer remains an unofficial "hard" mode.

(2) The continuing reduction in Mario's moveset is a crime. Additional moves mean more tools for creative platforming. For example, there's the green star in SMG2 that asks you to connect a triple jump off the top of a thwomp, and NSMB U’s challenge mode requires all kinds of ducks, spins, and mid-jump twirls. Why take the triple jump away from us?

(3) The camera is a downgrade from the SMG games. 3D Land could get away with its somewhat static camera because of the 3D effect, but the fact is that the default camera angle in 3D World can make a lot of jumps more difficult than they have to be, and the player's camera control is not as robust as SM64 or Sunshine (which, granted, could be pretty horrific too).

(4) The music is killer.

(5) I can't wait to play more. Post-game spoilers:
Just 3 more stamps and a few more stars to go!

aza

Attempting ✿-8
Blast Block Skyway
without a Tanooki suit = NOPE

I managed to do this and get all the stars in a single speed-run. Lost about 100 lives, though, haha. I might post a video of it later if I can manage to do it again.

Top Bottom