• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

aza

Finished this afternoon! Loved it. Gathered all Green Stars and Stamps leading up to the post-game stuff (except for that fucking ninja house stamp...where is that shit!?).

Hint: It's in the last corridor, before you're transported to the roof. Spot the difference.
Answer:
Follow where the rolling spikes go (towards the camera). The give-away is supposed to be that they don't break when they hit the wall.

I had a really tough time with that one too. I'd say it's the hardest stamp in the entire game.

I have no idea. Everything looks so clean, So round. I barely see any aliasing at all. The screens don´t do it justice. Nothing last gen comes even close. Then you realise it´s running at 60 fps. with 4 players, lot´s of stuff going on, fireballs und double cherries.

Incredible.

When I think about Mario Kart 8....I can't even...man, I love my WiiU.

uberluigi

Banned
Finished the game on Sunday and I collected 270 green stars so far. Graphics are amazing, soundtrack is really good (galaxy is better though) and the difficulty is just right. If Nintendo can make this game look so good imagine when they release the next galaxy or metroid next year, sooo good :)

Hint: It's in the last corridor, before you're transported to the roof. Spot the difference.
Answer:
Follow where the rolling spikes go (towards the camera). The give-away is supposed to be that they don't break when they hit the wall.

I had a really tough time with that one too. I'd say it's the hardest stamp in the entire game.

I got unexpected help with that from the scrolling post-level MiiVerse comments.

Are people having problems getting Mario 3D World? It's sold out on GameStops Website, at my local GameStop, and at Wal Mart. I'm going to check K Mart next. Just wondering if its normal right now.

The game is hard to find in stores outside of Gamestop. But you can get it online at most places atm. Wii U is a different story, it's selling very well

Haha, yeah I was trying to decide between the two. GAF was a huge help! Very excited about my decision. :)

:)

Timeaisis

Ooh just wait til Grumble Grumbleblump Inferno

Just beat this yesterday,
First 8 worlds anyway
. Grumble Inferno was not the hardest level for me, but it's possible because I was playing with one other person, and wet could time our deaths so the other person could keep living. Haha.

Anyway, was expecting to hate it, but I ended up getting all green stars. Didn't grab the stamp because...eff that.

Anyway...
GOTY. Easily game of the last few years.

Andrew.

Banned
Anyway, was expecting to hate it, but I ended up getting all green stars. Didn't grab the stamp because...eff that.

Oh I got that stamp. 20 lives later, but I got it

Im good on all collectibles up until Star. Then the game just wipes its ass with my face.

Azure J

This game is the first Mario game in years where I actually felt a compulsion to not loose a current power up that went beyond "well that would suck". Cat suits
(and their uber Maneki neko variant)
are the coolest shit ever and officially right next to the Hammer Suit from SMB3 as my favorite power up in the series. Boomerang suits are cool too.

Also, Toad is the fucking best and needs to be in everything Mario related ever. Toad + Cat Suit = Sonic 3 & Knuckles playing as Knuckles mode.
Rosalina is also godlike and needs a permanent spot on the playable character side.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I pretty much just got to the flower world. Can't dig into it much right now but it better not be an overhyped challenge like luigi's purple coins. Don't fail me, gaf.

Blizzard

Banned
I finally got 4 cherry blocks in the 1 up houses. 8 1UPs! Timed my jump to the music.
What timing did you use? I used

Jump on the first beat of the jingle after it ends the first and second times for two cherries...so that's like 12 beats if I recall correctly? But then the music changes and whether you wait or not, the beat count gets you other symbols instead?

The Mystery House Marathon was so much fun and pretty challenging. Same for the last Captain Toad level. Just finished grinding for Crown Crown Crown lives so I can tackle *gulp* Champion's Road.

Curious to see how long it'll take me to do it. I have 200 deaths on my file, but it's closer to 150 between my brother's deaths and me trying to beat Broken Blue Bully Belt w/ Toad and no Tanooki. What's everyone else's count at?

zroid

Banned
Curious to see how long it'll take me to do it. I have 200 deaths on my file, but it's closer to 150 between my brother's deaths and me trying to beat Broken Blue Bully Belt w/ Toad and no Tanooki. What's everyone else's count at?

I was at 260 when I beat Bowser World, lol. Don't know what it's at now. Probably a bajillion, or so.

taybul

Jump on the first beat of the jingle after it ends the first and second times for two cherries...so that's like 12 beats if I recall correctly? But then the music changes and whether you wait or not, the beat count gets you other symbols instead?
You just time your jump to the music: jump two three four jump two three... Each beat gets you a different symbol but it's easiest to just go with the first beat which I believe it the bell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiPMJEkugpM

I time my first jump to the sound that starts around 0:09 in that video. You hear that note again at around 0:11 then around 0:13 and then 0:15.

I can nail every slot machine now with consistency.

I look for the white boomarang, and each time it passes I say "white..white...white..." to establish timing in my head and on the last one I hit.

This game is the first Mario game in years where I actually felt a compulsion to not loose a current power up that went beyond "well that would suck". Cat suits
(and their uber Maneko variant)
are the coolest shit ever and officially right next to the Hammer Suit from SMB3 as my favorite power up in the series. Boomerang suits are cool too.

Also, Toad is the fucking best and needs to be in everything Mario related ever. Toad + Cat Suit = Sonic 3 & Knuckles playing as Knuckles mode.
Rosalina is also godlike and needs a permanent spot on the playable character side.

is the lucky cat a different power up?
if not please tell me the button combo to activate it?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
My death count was 246 after clearing the final stage but it's probably closer to 260-270 counting the resets I did when avoiding the shame block out of paranoia earlier on.

~120 deaths on Champion's Road.

Andrew.

Banned
I can nail every slot machine now with consistency.

JP94sil.jpg

that is the main reason for my worry new consoles launch means 1to1 sales of software

is this copy for you?

I hate those guys :(

Yea, I just finished ALBW and was looking to pick it up. My wife and daughter (and me, of course) wanted it for Xmas but I was just gonna pick it up early.

I still have Sonic Lost Worlds, a huge backlog that got bigger from Black Friday deals, and it's on my GameQ for Gamefly (though I'll buy it either way), so I can wait a few more days ;)

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Just "beat" my first mario game... excited for post levels and going back to get more stars/stamps

ok thanks guys

My death count was 246 after clearing the final stage but it's probably closer to 260-270 counting the resets I did when avoiding the shame block out of paranoia earlier on.

~120 deaths on Champion's Road.

please tell me you counted your deaths I hope this game is not keeping track of my deaths somewhere :(

I die in Mario constantly due to controller issues. Never had issues with Mario game controls ever, not even NES :) I'm using the wii classic controller. The wii u game pad feels too big, but the classic doesn't feel precise (the stick). Is the Wii U Pro controller a big improvement?

Gartooth

I tried to play the game with all characters equally just because I enjoy the variety of it all, but in terms of my favorite character to play it was probably Toad. I don't think his low jump height was a detriment except in some circumstances where I needed a collectible (and I would use Luigi instead) but being able to speed through levels is such a blast. Toad rocked this game between that and the Captain Toad levels. :3

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'm actually in the middle of a 2nd playthrough with the goal of hitting 100% completion with 0 deaths.

My stated reason is to see if there's any acknowledgement for it, but considering that I'm 99% sure that the answer to that question is "no," it's really just a convenient excuse to replay the game.

First 3D Mario that stayed in my disc drive for more after 100%. This game is magical.

Top Bottom