• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

KiN0

Honestly, the overworld just doesn't do it for me. The game feels a little uncohesive...disjointed. The overworld does nothing to tie the game together.

This is pretty much how I feel about the overworld. I like that they tried something new but in terms of progression its basically what they've been doing with the nsmb series. If we ever get a sequel to this game (which I hope we do in the distant future) I hope they do something ambitious like the smw world map.

Gsnap

What is the best way to get all the flag poles? Play as peach, or attempt to keep the cat suit. I was going to leave that for last and only bother with stars and stamps for now. Got everything so far up to browser-2. Man I love this game. Hope to get some 4 player games going one of these days.

Rolling long jump. I've gotten 90% of gold flag poles that way.

Or if you want to be fancy. Rolling long jump into spin jump. But that's just for style points. ; )

Blizzard

Banned
I've played about a world and a half. I know it's early to be saying this, but I'm finding the game pretty boring so far. There are a lot of little ideas thrown around, but I feel the platforming is really lacking so far. The game feels tedious to me more than anything right now. I had similar feelings about SM3DL.
You may still not end up liking the game, but at least play world 3 and 4 if you can make it that far. There are some neat levels in those, when the game starts varying more.

Kard8p3

Holy shit!
Did the goalpost just run away and I have to chase it?!

Also noticed one big problem with Rosalina. She can't use the spin jump if she has a power-up. Really disappointed by this, unless of course theres a button for it that I haven't noticed.

Really though it was the same in the Galaxy games. Most of the power-ups disabled the spin jump in those games.

I've played about a world and a half. I know it's early to be saying this, but I'm finding the game pretty boring so far. There are a lot of little ideas thrown around, but I feel the platforming is really lacking so far. The game feels tedious to me more than anything right now. I had similar feelings about SM3DL.

Sorry to say but, IMO, the actual platforming doesn't get that interesting until very late in the game and getting into the post-"end" content. The majority of the main worlds feel more focused on using the right powerups for the right situations + collectables than testing your platforming moveset (which doesn't feel that great anyway). I think you should just adjust your expectations and start to appreciate all the "little ideas" being thrown at you, because that's what this game excels at.

This is pretty much how I feel about the overworld. I like that they tried something new but in terms of progression its basically what they've been doing with the nsmb series. If we ever get a sequel to this game (which I hope we do in the distant future) I hope they do something ambitious like the smw world map.

I'd love to see them get away from the map completely, which they've used in like the last 4 or 5 Mario titles, and go for a connected, seamless campaign. There's a little bit of that in parts of 3D World, but it's still broken up by trips back to the world map.

Lijik

Finally got around to beating the last 3 main worlds and unlocked the postgame content tonight.

The final Bowser fight in this game might be my favorite in the entire series!!
a real "aw shit" moment when cat bowser used the double cherry

I like using Rosalina even if shes slower than Im used after playing through the whole game with Luigi

Finally got around to beating the last 3 main worlds and unlocked the postgame content tonight.

The final Bowser fight in this game might be my favorite in the entire series!!
a real "aw shit" moment when cat bowser used the double cherry

I like using Rosalina even if shes slower than Im used after playing through the whole game with Luigi

As far as 3D Mario's go, I agree. I still think that the Bowser fight in NSMBWii is my favorite Bowser fight in the Mario series as a whole, though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Flower world wasn't too bad, missed 2 green stars and a flagpole though. I actually need to do more work in every other world to catch up, lol.

Flower world wasn't too bad, missed 2 green stars and a flagpole though. I actually need to do more work in every other world to catch up, lol.

Real men 100% the stages before moving on. Be a real man, and play Super Mario 3D World better.

As great as some of the music in this game is, like the Ghost House theme especially, I haven't heard anything thus far that dethrones the super under-appreciated and secret best track from the Galaxy titles, "Space Storm Galaxy."

EDIT: But damn, the Ghost House and Lava Rock Lair are good stuff though among others.

The main problem is the camera. It is zoomed entirely too far away, and caused me many deaths due to uncertain jumps.

I think it's less that the camera is far away, and more that the camera is in certain angles that are reminiscent of 3D Land. I think they forgot that 3D Land was designed for stereoscopic 3D at times. I've had a few cheap deaths as well.

TheExodu5

Banned
You may still not end up liking the game, but at least play world 3 and 4 if you can make it that far. There are some neat levels in those, when the game starts varying more.

World 3 is a definite improvement so far.

The main problem is the camera. It is zoomed entirely too far away, and caused me many deaths due to uncertain jumps.

I've found that it's actually best to not use the analog stick for this game. I think the analog stick gives you 16 directions instead of 8 with a dpad...sometimes this can result in getting off the platforming axis without noticing it.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Worlds 1-3 are the tutorial. By the end of 3 it starts ramping up at a constant rate. After the last main world you hit a random difficulty spike, though if you're a Mario veteran you'll be fine. Point is, keep playing, it gets better!

I think it's less that the camera is far away, and more that the camera is in certain angles that are reminiscent of 3D Land. I think they forgot that 3D Land was designed for stereoscopic 3D at times. I've had a few cheap deaths as well.

Learning to watch your shadow is a must. It's always right under you no matter the lighting to help with jump accuracy.

Blizzard

Banned
I've found that it's actually best to not use the analog stick for this game. I think the analog stick gives you 16 directions instead of 8 with a dpad...sometimes this can result in getting off the platforming axis without noticing it.
My favorite thing is holding a direction with the analog stick, then rotating the camera to get a better view of some precise platforming area...only to suddenly realize that the direction I was holding is now a DIFFERENT direction and I just walked myself off a ledge to my death.

Holy crap we just experienced the next level of Smash Bros. gaming. The four of us played through the first three worlds simultaneously trying to beat the level while also trying to fuck each other over. I don't think I've laughed this much in a game since...forever. It was simply amazing. The new Smash Bros. will not be able to compare to the chaos of trying to throw each other off of a moving platform while also hitting switch blocks to keep moving towards the goal. Just insanely fun.

KiN0

I'd love to see them get away from the map completely, which they've used in like the last 4 or 5 Mario titles, and go for a connected, seamless campaign. There's a little bit of that in parts of 3D World, but it's still broken up by trips back to the world map.

I'm really just tired of the same plains, desert, ice, mountain, cloud set that has been the series standard since nsmb ds. In this game that tries so many new ideas, it is really disappointing that they didn't put more effort into designing a more imaginative setting. In fact, it's downright lazy.

I'm really just tired of the same plains, desert, ice, mountain, cloud set that has been the series standard since nsmb ds. In this game that tries so many new ideas, it is really disappointing that they didn't put more effort into designing a more imaginative setting. In fact, it's downright lazy.

There's just so many awesome ideas they could expand on. Even Mario 3 was much more diverse.

cloud world... big world.... pipe world.... all of those would be amazing in this engine

KiN0

There's just so many awesome ideas they could expand on. Even Mario 3 was much more diverse.

cloud world... big world.... pipe world.... all of those would be amazing in this engine

I know. When I saw the bowser amusement park, I was really hoping that we would get a world along the lines of Neo Bowser city. Instead we got castle, ugh.

End game spoiler

The "hopping up the piranhas" part in Champion's Road is getting fucking annoying. I'm playing Rosalina (no power ups) and it feels completely random if I make it or not. Any tips? I've made it past there to what I believe is the final section (the key collection) and it's the only part I don't like.

I think they'll need to definitely expand on the series for the next 3D game. They've kind of squeezed all they could out of making a 3D version of SMB3 with 3D World.

Yeah, I especially want some crazy new environments. 3D World's circus levels are a step in the right direction but I want them to go all out.

I think they'll need to definitely expand on the series for the next 3D game. They've kind of squeezed all they could out of making a 3D version of SMB3 with 3D World.

End game spoiler

The "hopping up the piranhas" part in Champion's Road is getting fucking annoying. I'm playing Rosalina (no power ups) and it feels completely random if I make it or not. Any tips? I've made it past there to what I believe is the final section (the key collection) and it's the only part I don't like.

Just hold the jump button, it'll auto bounce off their heads.

afoni

Banned
DOUBLE. CHERRY. PASS.

There's that spark of something new and fantastic that I longed for. It's right there, in Double Cherry Pass.

DOUBLE. CHERRY. PASS.

There's that spark of something new and fantastic that I longed for. It's right there, in Double Cherry Pass.

The Double Cherry is my favorite Mario power up to date. I would love to see how far the engine could go in terms of smoothly keeping a certain number of Marios on the screen at once.

Social

I've been tired of the same world themes since that horrible NSMB2 on 3DS. It felt really lazy there. They need to change that for sure.

I don't know why they don't though, just as I don't get why there are no original castle bosses.

It's the same problem I have with Zelda bosses, the ones in ALBW were terribly recycled and uninspired.

CoolS

The Double Cherry is my favorite Mario power up to date. I would love to see how far the engine could go in terms of smoothly keeping a certain number of Marios on the screen at once.
The scary thing is, when you pick up the double cherry, a copy of Mario is created. But now when the original Mario gets hit he ceases to exist and his copy becomes the new Mario :O

This is the first time I had so much problems jumping, so I tried 3D Land again and even without 3D I could kill every goomba easily. 3D World is a mix of Land's and Galaxy's controls, I need to get used to it. Same for Cat suit. Toad is fucking hard!

What about the rest? This game is crazy, for now I saw little, minimal innovations in terms of platforming, different uses of 3D Land's gimmikcs and a concentration on powerups. It's probably the strangest 3D Mario ever, it fights to be different and constantly questions itslef if platforming is the only fun way of playing it. The OST is fantastic, I dislike the same old remix of underground levels BUT HOLY SHIT I'm hearing the best theme ever, the one that feels straight from the 50's (not the main theme wich is still cool as Wario).

Forkball

I wanna know what sadistic freak thought up flying Dry Bones. I'm on the World 8 Boo House, and I cannot get past this part where you are on the broken rotating platform with the line of ghosts and flying Dry Bones. I have the helmet, but it either gets knocked off, or when I jump on the Dry Bones the platform rotates away and I fall to my death. WHO DESIGNED THIS PART WHO

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
How difficult is getting 100% compared to nsmbu?

Is there a hidden Luigi in every level? The best one was the tiny Luigi among snow flakes, transported by the breeze going somewhere... I laughed hard.

CassSept

DOUBLE. CHERRY. PASS.

Yeah it's the first level I was truly impressed by, so fun, with lovely music to boot. Great taste of things to come and reassurance that the creative spark of EAD Tokyo is still there :)

Edit: Hahaha,
Star-4, the level with the escaping gole pole, now that was something

Thoraxes

Man, you guys should've seen my face when I figured out how to do the spin jump by complete accident.

I love how nimble Mario is in this game, and that there's tons of options for movement. The only thing missing from SM64 really is the dive, kick, and the triple jump... I think.

Top Bottom