• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

ffdgh

Man, you guys should've seen my face when I figured out how to do the spin jump by complete accident.

I love how nimble Mario is in this game, and that there's tons of options for movement. The only thing missing from SM64 really is the dive, kick, and the triple jump... I think.

his crouching breakdance kick and his sliding kick.

greg400

Banned
How difficult is getting 100% compared to nsmbu?
Took me around 33-34 hours, I didn't play NSMBU so I couldn't tell you what it's like in comparison. I did the game almost entirely with another player (
first play-through
) and collected everything before I moved on to the next level.

It's pretty easy to get 100% once you reach and beat the crown world at least once, just use multiple controllers and pop the character bubbles at the end of each level.

Took me around 33-34 hours, I didn't play NSMBU so I couldn't tell you what it's like in comparison. I did the game almost entirely with another player and collected everything before I moved on to the next level.

It's pretty easy to get 100% once you reach and beat the crown world at least once, just use multiple controllers and pop the character bubbles at the end of each level.

That's a fantastic idea...if only my Wii and all of its controllers were still in my possession...

You can't skip through the end credits, which is very annoying when having to beat the level with every character.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Real men 100% the stages before moving on. Be a real man, and play Super Mario 3D World better.

As great as some of the music in this game is, like the Ghost House theme especially, I haven't heard anything thus far that dethrones the super under-appreciated and secret best track from the Galaxy titles, "Space Storm Galaxy."

EDIT: But damn, the Ghost House and Lava Rock Lair are good stuff though among others.

I attempt to get everything on the first run through and see at the end how many levels I missed stuff on(including a bunch of suicides if I saw one I can't get to) so I don't replay levels until I hit a wall and need to. That and some levels I have everything and missed the flagpole so I was going to just catsuit up and knock those down in a row

I dunno why I do it like that, haha.

NEO0MJ

Question about post-game content

Do we need to replay all the levels with all the characters to unlock the last stage like in 3D Land or just once this time?

I got the game, and man is the nostalgia strong with this one.
The overworld really reminds me of SMW for some reason, and I love the little pixely loading animation.

I'm kinda annoyed by having to hold in a button to run (and how the running is like in three tiers) and the 8-directional movement. A bit miffed about the lack of a backflip as well, seeing as they got the running jump in.

EDIT: Oh, nevermind, there is a backflip :D

greg400

Banned
Question about post-game content

Do we need to replay all the levels with all the characters to unlock the last stage or just once this time?
You can access every level without completing the game with every character. The only thing you get for completing with every character are the final stamps.

Lynd7

Hm, just started playing, beat the first world. I don't really like the running speed ramp up, it should be top speed from the start of holding the run button.

Raysoul

lol so I'm not the only one.
I also spotted a "VIVA WIIU DOWN WITH THE PS4 AND XBONE" post, hilarious...

zlCfzRMt9ewRdjoMFk

Not mine.

Actually mine, no offense >.<

I attempt to get everything on the first run through and see at the end how many levels I missed stuff on(including a bunch of suicides if I saw one I can't get to) so I don't replay levels until I hit a wall and need to. That and some levels I have everything and missed the flagpole so I was going to just catsuit up and knock those down in a row

I dunno why I do it like that, haha.

That's how I play as well. I like it because it gives you a reason to revisit a lot of the levels after beating the game.

Mistle

Up to World 3. Good so far, some really great stuff and I'm having fun, but it does feel pretty basic still. I kind of expected as much though. Galaxy wow'd me from the get go.
The second boss being the exact thing from 3D Land made me sad.

Oh, and the music is fantastic.

There's a way to get 777 each time in the slots based on musical cues.

There's also an easier way to do it with good timing. :) Just watch the icon you want to stop scroll through, and say something every time it passes, like "now...now...now...NOW" and you shouldn't have much trouble getting it.

afoni

Banned
There's also an easier way to do it with good timing. :) Just watch the icon you want to stop scroll through, and say something every time it passes, like "now...now...now...NOW" and you shouldn't have much trouble getting it.

So much easier just to follow the music cues. It takes less than 10 seconds.

NEO0MJ

You can access every level without completing the game with every character. The only thing you get for completing with every character are the final stamps.

Good to know, that really bothered me in 3D Land. Do we still need to get the gold flagpole, though?

Peff

World Bowser is fantastic, the game really does ramp up from the first couple of worlds and far beyond 3D Land. The cat suit is super overpowered though, especially for how commonplace it is. Well, the same can be said for all power-ups, really, I don't think I've seen a normal mushroom so far, but I suppose item placement is more targeted towards multiplayer.

GAME order came a day late, and even after pre ordering didn't contain the sleeve or key ring. Fuck GAME.

At least I can finally play this beauty.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Spent my first afternoon with the multiplayer. Will be spending many more.

If I see one more person complain about how simple the game is at WORLD 2, I just...c'mon guys. Anyone who's played a Mario game knows it doesn't start to get good until around World 3 or 4.

How are you guys playing it? Gamepad? If so, analog or digital? Wiimote? Pro? I'm finding the Gamepad d pad working the best, no real analog need

greg400

Banned
Good to know, that really bothered me in 3D Land. Do we still need to get the gold flagpole, though?
Yes, it's one of the requirements for unlocking the final world (the others being all of the stamps and green stars up to that point)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
How are you guys playing it? Gamepad? If so, analog or digital? Wiimote? Pro? I'm finding the Gamepad d pad working the best, no real analog need
Gamepad (analog) and a bunch of wiimotes here.

mf luder

There's an electronic manual (push the home button and you'll see the button to get to it) that lists all the moves.

I know but even that says there are moves not listed in the manual, I can do the spin jump and ground pound spring back up thing, are there any others?

Tiamant

Just bought a Wii U for this game and...

I'm just not feeling it :/

Galaxy 1 and 2 grabbed me from the beginning, I played with a huge grin on my face and every level was a joy to play. Maybe it's because I'm playing it alone but I feel like something is missing, can't really say what.

JoeM86

Galaxy 1 and 2 grabbed me from the beginning, I played with a huge grin on my face and every level was a joy to play. Maybe it's because I'm playing it alone but I feel like something is missing, can't really say what.

Give it a couple of worlds. The first two worlds are a bit humdrum but it then becomes awesome.

I too didn't feel the controls at first, but then my brain suddenly clicked and adapted :)

NEO0MJ

Give it time. In a couple of words and you'll love it. I mean come on you breed pokemon!

The Hermit

I felt the same about 3DLand and this, but it´ll get better... I promise
While both Galaxys were awe inducing since the very beginning, this one is a slow burner, but eventually it´ll burn as much or more than the Wii counterparts.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
just about to start playing it but hey, here's uncle Rollo coming for a chat after two fucking years he was out of the bloody country

Kydd BlaZe

Bought this game a couple of days ago, but haven't popped it in yet. Been too caught up with Xbox One and PS4 games. I really need to play this.

Forkball

WHAT? I need 170 stars for the last level on world 8? I only have 157! I try to get everyone I see too, how can I be lacking? Are there more mystery boxes with 10 stars in them? I found only one on World 8.

Peru

3D land IS great from the beginning. There's no 'challenge' in the first original SMB level, the joy is moving through the level as smoothly as you can, as quickly as you can. Same thing. A great detail 3D Land introduced was the best time record, encouraging such play. The reason it's fun is because as you move through the level it's all platforming - even if there's no risk of _dying_ you're invited to move through it as smoothly as possible, finding that Mario flow. So yes, it did kick it from the start. People who conflate a platforming focus with pure difficulty have forgotten most of Mario's past - the challenge and fun is not only in surviving but finding the perfect race line through levels designed to make that possible.

NEO0MJ

Okay then, I'll trust you GAF.

Would it be best to keep playing alone until I finish it and then replay with more people?

I think playing alone would be better at first, you won't be able to discover secrets or gather stars and stamp as easily with others.

Luigi is great. "Ho, Ho, Hooooo!"

His THIRST is real, or he got burned real bad.

What do you mean by thirst o_O

Top Bottom