• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

jvIuIg3y3xy3b.jpg
So beautiful

Is
Champion's Road
the toughest level in any 3D Mario game?

I think it is. It took me about 100 tries to get it...about 1/3 of those with a Tanooki suit. I'm dreading having to do it again with all the characters, but I feel like I'm still improving as I'm replaying all the levels with all the characters. Maybe it won't be so bad.

Maybe.

3D land IS great from the beginning. There's no 'challenge' in the first original SMB level, the joy is moving through the level as smoothly as you can, as quickly as you can. Same thing. A great detail 3D Land introduced was the best time record, encouraging such play. The reason it's fun is because as you move through the level it's all platforming - even if there's no risk of _dying_ you're invited to move through it as smoothly as possible, finding that Mario flow. So yes, it did kick it from the start. People who conflate a platforming focus with pure difficulty have forgotten most of Mario's past - the challenge and fun is not only in surviving but finding the perfect race line through levels designed to make that possible.

Yeah, but that's not stuff the vast majority of people are trying to do when they first play a Mario game. They want levels that are just plain fun, not "I wonder what the fastest way to go through this level is." I'm not equating fun with challenge, it's just that I don't find 3D Land's levels to be full of life and exciting-ness.

Only a minority of people really care about speed running, and only a minority of them are trying to do it on their first play through.

Sendou

This game is pure charm. Love all the little animations.

Yeah there are so many charming little touches. Plessie waving at you is straight out of the last story level of Galaxy 2. Sprawling Savannah including that "Welcome to galaxy!" hands to the air animation was so goddamn adorable too.

In general I think this game has changed my view about Peach. I like this new Peach more. I hope she doesn't get thrown into the coulisses again the next Mario game we get.

kinggroin

Banned
Give it a couple of worlds. The first two worlds are a bit humdrum but it then becomes awesome.

I too didn't feel the controls at first, but then my brain suddenly clicked and adapted :)

I disagree. First world started the game with a colorful orgasmic boom. Simply fantasmic.

2nd world is ugh...but if he's not feeling it early on, not sure the formula is gonna work for him

Dr.Hadji

If I see one more person complain about how simple the game is at WORLD 2, I just...c'mon guys. Anyone who's played a Mario game knows it doesn't start to get good until around World 3 or 4.

Don't know where this notion that Mario games only get good when the levels start getting crazy came from. Mario games are good from 1-1 all the way to 8-4. If you don't think 3d World has interesting, inventive, fun levels in the first two worlds, you're letting the hype get to you.

JoeM86

I disagree. First world started the game with a colorful orgasmic boom. Simply fantasmic.

2nd world is ugh...but if he's not feeling it early on, not sure the formula is gonna work for him

Don't get me wrong, I loved it from the beginning. However, I can see why people may be disappointed in the first two worlds.

Im up to w6 now playing 2p with my wife, and i think the game was great from the beginning. One good thing about the relatively easier first worlds is they're more manageable in multiplayer! The later levels even with just 2p are so chaotic by comparison. We're reaching the point where my wife just puts herself in the bubble for half the level now! Point being the difficulty can spike massively on the same level with more ppl, so it's good there are enough easier levels that she can really contribute in

Sendou

I don't think anything changes after the first few levels (I just completed world 5). At the beginning it's was more like coming across more levels I recognized from the trailers so the element of surprise wasn't quite there with those levels.

Got the game today and I'm hating it, just as I suspected I would...

My little cousin made me laugh though, after two stages he looked at me and said "I'm tired what about you?" Welp.

Back to Monster Hunter, I guess...

Dougald

Game almost feels like they designed each level in order. The first two worlds are bland, uninspired and exactly what the game looked like in the initial E3 unveiling

Just reached world 4 and it's definitely picked up a bit. Hoping it continues because I've found the game a bit mediocre thus far. Worth a pickup for me anyway because of the co-op, my wife loves Mario games, but I hold out hope for the later worlds

Don't know where this notion that Mario games only get good when the levels start getting crazy came from. Mario games are good from 1-1 all the way to 8-4. If you don't think 3d World has interesting, inventive, fun levels in the first two worlds, you're letting the hype get to you.

I guess I should've said "amazing" instead of "good." I also dig the first two worlds, but they're nothing compared to everything that follows.

EDIT: I guess it's time for the good ol' neogaf backlashing to begin.

Gambit

This game is pure charm. Just now I played with my cousin for the first time. (She is half my age and decided to play as Peach.)

It was great fun. We decided to keep one save slot for our co-op adventure.

My little cousin made me laugh though, after two stages he looked at me and said "I'm tired what about you?" Welp.

Does not compute. Are you guys too hardcore for having fun?

Would you mind going into detail what you hate about it or what is tiresome about it? Because it doesn't make sense compared to the six hours of "having the time of my life" with this game I experienced yesterday.

With all this talk about the starting stages this seems like the perfect time to praise the glory that is Super Mario Galaxy 2's first world, all other opening worlds feel plain (and are often themed as plains) by comparison. The twist being that the ever so brief lull in SMG2 comes from its World 4.
In the case of 3D World, World 3 for me is the one when business picked up.

Well that's the
Flower World
done, so now i'm just picking up the various collectables then? whoever decided the golden flag should count as a collectable should have a golden flagpole stuck up their backside.

Forkball

Beat it. The final boss was awesome, I really didn't expect that. The first level of Star Road is frustrating me. After the checkpoint I cannot do that part perfectly. I either get hit, miss the trapezee things, or jump over or onto the flying beetles, killing myself. Though I did find
the hidden Link. Mario has appeared in Zelda so I guess it's time to return the favor. The Zelda theme was pretty nice as well.

Sendou

whoever decided the golden flag should count as a collectable should have a golden flagpole stuck up their backside.

It's not such a huge deal here. In 3D Land it was super annoying. Have I understood the following correctly?:

You need to finish each level with Mario, Luigi, Peach and Toad. You need to get the golden flagpole only once per level. This to essentially see all the content in the game.

Just arrived at
World Bowser.
As of now, this game is up there with Galaxy for me. (Also because I realise that there's still more to come)

greg400

Banned
It's not such a huge deal here. In 3D Land it was super annoying. Have I understood the following correctly?:

You need to finish each level with Mario, Luigi, Peach and Toad. You need to get the golden flagpole only once per level. This to essentially see all the content in the game.
To see every level:
Collect every green star/stamp and also get the top of every flag pole (up to flower world for all of these)
To complete 100%:
Complete each level with all 5 characters (can use the bubble trick I said on page 133), this will give you the final stamps. Also obviously need to collect all the green stars in final crown world.

olimpia84

Seems like you came with the right mindset to try this game

Finally I'm slowly becoming a pro. After playing a fast paced game like Albw, the first world in this Mario was seriously... boring. Colorful, charming, but man, it starts worse than 3D Land. And sometimes I feel like 3D Land was more innovative, but now that I'm looking with more attention at every level I can see something new everytime. I was expecting something more fast like 3D Land, instead it's a little slower, like Galaxy.
But hey, it seems that I'm talking about a meh game, HELL NO, this game is awesome, sometimes unbelievable. After World 2 the game starts shining, now I reached World 6, I'm taking a break.

JoeInky

I've been wondering about the people who keep saying that the first worlds in the newer mario games are always shit/easy/not fun, can any of you actually go back and play SMB1/2/3, world and legitimately enjoy the first 2 or three worlds for reasons other than nostalgia?

Whenever I replay them I try and skip the first worlds as quickly as I can, whether that be by warps or whistles or whatever.

Does not compute. Are you guys too hardcore for having fun?

Would you mind going into detail what you hate about it or what is tiresome about it? Because it doesn't make sense compared to the six hours of "having the time of my life" with this game I experienced yesterday.
I guess I should have mentioned that I'm not a fan of platform games. :p

I did love the Galaxy series though, which is why I bought this game, otherwise I wouldn't have even bothered.

That´s your problem. You want to hate it.
Maybe.

Caladrius

I guess I should have mentioned that I'm not a fan of platform games. :p

I did love the Galaxy series though, which is why I bought this game, otherwise I wouldn't have even bothered.

Maybe.

If the game doesn't get more interesting for you by world 5 or 6 drop it. It's almost universally agreed that the first 3 worlds or so are by far the weakest parts of the game and it picks up starting at World 4.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So I noticed a retro Luigi icon appeared on my title screen. I'm guessing all those little Luigis that popped up on random occasions unlocked Luigi Bros but it's strange that no notification was given that I had unlocked it.

ffdgh

So I noticed a retro Luigi icon appeared on my title screen. I'm guessing all those little Luigis that popped up on random occasions unlocked Luigi Bros but it's strange that no notification was given that I had unlocked it.

Did you already have a new super luigi U save and or beat the game? :p

Gsnap

I can't understand how people can call the first two worlds bland and uninspired when in World 2 alone you have Conkdor Canyon (I know, I know. It's a desert themed level, but the Conkdor's are hilarious. And the level design is great.), Puffprod Peaks, Shadowplay Alley, and Double Cherry Pass. The only bland level in World 2 is Really Rolling Hills, and even then, it gives you a nice playground to fool around in.

World 1? Ok, I can see that. But World 2? No way.

Beat it. Loved it...Loved it. Loved it. Loved it. Fantastic experience all around. Music, levels, powerups, all awesome. Can't really say more than that. My personal GOTY.

Porcile

World 6! Game does some smart things, and generally keeps getting better and better. I just want to unlock further harder challenges at this point, because that's when the mechanics and genius of the level design shines through.

Controversial opinion time! I'd be interested in playing a Mario where all the basic levels are unlocked from the beginning and you only collect stars to unlock the boss and secret stages. I'm bored of arbitrary and linear 'World' progression. Zelda did it recently, now let me do it with Mario. The game feels like a chained off playground at times. I also think it i would get rid of the opening world tedium if all levels are on an equal footing. It would fits in with my style of play as I tend to play through a stage once and revisit it later on.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Did you already have a new super luigi U save and or beat the game? :p
No, I've held off SMLU so I don't get over exposed to too much Mario Luigi.

Yeah I did beat the game earlier. Is that the requirement for unlocking it then? So the little Luigis are just for show like the other Luigi references I spotted.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
No, I've held off SMLU so I don't get over exposed to too much Mario Luigi.

Yeah I did beat the game earlier. Is that the requirement for unlocking it then? So the little Luigis are just for show like the other Luigi references I spotted.
Yeah, just for show.

World 3 is a definite improvement so far.

I've found that it's actually best to not use the analog stick for this game. I think the analog stick gives you 16 directions instead of 8 with a dpad...sometimes this can result in getting off the platforming axis without noticing it.

Oh my...that is GOOD advice. I am so going to try using the d-pad instead. I am an expert with mario games (one of the crazy people who got all the stars in M64) but I can't get the hand of the controls in this. Was contemplating a PRO controller if it's any better than the classic. But I'll try the d-pad advice first.

I keep falling off the platforms with the analog stick.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Can't stop playing. I'm on the star road. So good. Polish is astonishing... Nintendo should have entered HD way earlier.
I know what you mean. 3D World is like seeing your childhood dream materialize before your eyes.

Porcile

To be fair, I think the game looks this good because EAD Tokyo learned from the experiences of creating and perfecting the visual style of the Mario Galaxy series. There's a lot of Galaxy DNA in here. Prettiest platformer ever. Only weird moment so far was the
savanna level in World 5 (5-4?).
Some weird texture glitching going on there.

Top Bottom