• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Just finished the game
first part.

Wow. Just wow.

What a complete blast.

I'm gonna put it down for tonight and
smash out the post game worlds tomorrow
. This game. I can't even.

Vinci

Danish
Okay. I'd like to thank EAD Tokyo for finally creating a Mario game that my wife truly enjoys playing. If they were looking for a hybrid that somehow blends together the 3D and 2D Mario folks - this is it. She hasn't liked a Mario game since World.

As for me... Yeah, this game is awesome. Some of the complaints I've seen in here are jarring to read given how polished and inventive this game is.

And to follow up an earlier comment: Yes, playing with the D-Pad is actually helpful - definitely was for my wife. People who aren't as experienced with analog sticks will have a lot of issue with this game if they try to use them.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Just beat the main game. After a pretty underwhelming first couple worlds the game went on to shine. Really good tight fun level design and gameplay. Really fun. I don't think it's the most challenging game in the world, but it's not mind numbingly easy either and it's definitely engaging. Hopefully the post main game content delivers on the challenge front. Also I lol'd at
Cat Bowser

If there's one complaint I have it's the same one I had with 3D Land. The game is way too generous with power-ups. The game vomits them at you all the time. In 3D Land it was the tanooki suit. Here it's mostly the catsuit. When you add in the fact you can also store a power-up it gets to be quite ridiculous. Then on top of that big Mario is the default! Small Mario should be the default when you start a stage. If you're going to give me an insane amount of power-ups then at least make me start as small Mario and work my way up to mushroom then to the power-up.

I guess I should have mentioned that I'm not a fan of platform games. :p

I did love the Galaxy series though, which is why I bought this game, otherwise I wouldn't have even bothered.

Maybe.

If somehow in hell you don't like platforming in 3D World(and not BSing for attention): The soundtrack is better than most games released in the last 5 years which actually would help you enjoy some of the "been there done that" levels. The mystery houses are random, several sequences, and full of "Figure it out in 10 seconds". The Toad platforms contain no jumping and are an interesting take on puzzle solving in a platforming environment. If you haven't even enjoyed that, its time to take a break from video games and reassess what brings you joy in your life.

Just beat the main game. After a pretty underwhelming first couple worlds the game went on to shine. Really good tight fun level design and gameplay. Really fun. I don't think it's the most challenging game in the world, but it's not mind numbingly easy either and it's definitely engaging. Hopefully the post main game content delivers on the challenge front. Also I lol'd at
Cat Bowser

If there's one complaint I have it's the same one I had with 3D Land. The game is way too generous with power-ups. The game vomits them at you all the time. In 3D Land it was the tanooki suit. Here it's mostly the catsuit. When you add in the fact you can also store a power-up it gets to be quite ridiculous. Then on top of that big Mario is the default! Small Mario should be the default when you start a stage. If you're going to give me an insane amount of power-ups then at least make me start as small Mario and work my way up to mushroom then to the power-up.

This game doesn't really give out power ups any more then say smb3, smbw, or the new smb titles. If anything I was surprised when some levels wouldn't give you a power up until almost the half way point

andymcc

Banned
This game doesn't really give out power ups any more then say smb3, smbw, or the new smb titles. If anything I was surprised when some levels wouldn't give you a power up until almost the half way point

or you actually have to earn the power up with timed red ring rewards.

I can't understand how people can call the first two worlds bland and uninspired when in World 2 alone you have Conkdor Canyon (I know, I know. It's a desert themed level, but the Conkdor's are hilarious. And the level design is great.), Puffprod Peaks, Shadowplay Alley, and Double Cherry Pass. The only bland level in World 2 is Really Rolling Hills, and even then, it gives you a nice playground to fool around in.

World 1? Ok, I can see that. But World 2? No way.

Heh. Really Rolling Hills is one of the levels I'd say isn't bland or uninspired. That levels is a virtual playground and nothing else. It's glorious. I can see it for some levels in World 1/2, but not all. I really like Super Bell Hill and Mount Beanpole in World 1.

zroid

Banned
Mount Beanpole is awesome. Super Bell Hill is obviously very straightforward, but it's the first level in the game, after all.

I thought the first castle was good too. Even 1-2 was pretty fun with all those clear pipes going every which way, and you had those goombas diving into them from the other side. There are very, very few levels in the game I would consider bland. They almost all had fun elements contained in them.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Finished first two worlds 100 %

2-3 classic levels already, the difficulty is obviously laughable as of yet, but its damn good fun just playing around with the new suits (love the cat and the double cherries), exploring asf, testing out those new moves

Just really solid so far

Almost all levels introduce something new, gameplay wise, which is obviously a good thing, but I'll always be too old and grumpy to really enjoy blowing on and touching my electronics :p

Xun

I absolutely adore this game so far, it's fantastic.

I'm still not sure how I feel about Cat Mario though, but maybe I'll get used to it.

AEREC

So just like SM3DL this game doesn't get good until the end. It's been a breeze until world 7...now it's slightly less of a breeze.

Linkhero1

I think that may have been the best 3D Mario final boss ever.
What final boss?
:p

Unrelated Spoiler:

Anyone else breezing through the star world? I just need two more levels but I've been able to beat and collect everything on my first try =/

Davey Cakes

So just like SM3DL this game doesn't get good until the end. It's been a breeze until world 7...now it's slightly less of a breeze.
Well it's all in the perspective anyway.

To people that are really good at these games and want to be challenged, it "doesn't get good" for a while.

But in terms of pure joy out of the gameplay experience? This game is good from the get-go.

Nintendo designs these games to be universal. They're supposed to be enjoyable for everyone during the main portion and enjoyable more for the dedicated players afterwards.

I saw some Miiverse posts with people saying "this level was hard" when I thought said level was an absolute breeze.

To someone who isn't extremely well versed in Mario platformers, this game must be a dream. Then again, it may also be frustrating too. Not everyone grasps movement in 3D space the same way. Many of us would see the level designs as creative, but I could imagine certain folks seeing them as daunting at times.

zroid

Banned
Unrelated Spoiler:

Anyone else breezing through the star world? I just need two more levels but I've been able to beat and collect everything on my first try =/

I had a LOT of trouble on &#9733;-2 :<

That third green star, especially. Or it might've been the second. One of them made me want to hurt things.

Linkhero1

I had a LOT of trouble on &#9733;-2 :<

That third green star, especially. Or it might've been the second. One of them made me want to hurt things.

I had to replay it three times because I missed the stamp. I didn't think it was too bad once
you timed the platforms flipping.

My favorite is definitely &#9733;-4. Such a neat idea but,
playing with Toad, I was able to overpass the flag pole immediately. I had trouble with Peach :(

zroid

Banned
yea &#9733;-4 was amazing, lol.
I'm playing with Mario only, so it wasn't too bad to clear the course, although getting the gold flagpole was a bit tricky.

those damn walking stone barrier things are a pain in the ass though. forget what they're called.

roknin

What final boss?
:p

Unrelated Spoiler:

Nah. Not struggling to the point of frustration or anything, but I've lost plenty of lives on most levels. There were a couple that weren't tough but I can already see 2 or three that will be a bitch and a half to get all the green stars on. -_-'

As usual with Mario games though, repeated plays seems to have made going back to some easier. My first couple of attempts at Rainbow Run were sinkholes for lives - my latter ones after playing the level like 8 times to hunt down one stupid Green Star were far, far better.

Linkhero1

yea &#9733;-4 was amazing, lol. I'm playing with Mario only, so it wasn't too bad to clear the course, although getting the gold flagpole was a bit tricky.

I shit you not this is what happened to me.

I tried getting the gold flag pole with Peach by jumping off the platforms near the end of the level, but to no avail. I ended up choosing Toad since the level would be much quicker to complete if I caught up to the pole immediately. I passed the pole almost instantly and waited on top of the white cloud before the platforms you can climb up. I got the third star and just stood there with no idea when the pole would pass by considering I passed it in the beginning of the level. I hear it's wings and the platform I'm on starts falling down. I can't see what's happening and then I see a 10000 on the screen. I was in disbelief that the platform I was on fell exactly on the platform. I didn't time it or anything.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
man i'm dying so much

I want to do the splendid, then end up clicking some wrong button in mid air and falling off some cliff

this game is so full of joy

Sadist

Haha, I absolutely love the fact that when picking up a Koopa shell it makes the Koopa come after me in his shirt. When I throw it away, he just sighs and let his shoulders droop. Love it.

Haha, I absolutely love the fact that when picking up a Koopa shell it makes the Koopa come after me in his shirt. When I throw it away, he just sighs and let his shoulders droop. Love it.

I feel like such an asshole when this happens.

Its funny how much milage I got out of the Koopa Troopa shell stuff in that one beach level, and I don't think they appear in a stage again after that

Kokonoe

Banned
We need more Miiverse stampage in this thread.

Qrvb5Uz.png

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAABtUhpu7fmYGA

Downhome

I'm not sure if I mentioned it before, but for the longest time I thought everyone was just super awesome at drawing before I realized that the stamps you collect in the game are used to make those images.

Then I tested them out and submitted my "drawing".

Then someone commented on it saying wow, that I sure was great at drawing.

It made me feel better at least in that I wasn't alone in thinking that.

I think I've come across the first level where you need a power-up for a green star that isn't present in the same level. Maybe there is some other way to get to it, haven't figured it out yet.

World Bowser - Castle, second Green Star looks like a cat suit is required

Top Bottom