• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

CrisKre

You're only cheating yourself by floating across that gap

That's what I say to my wife anyway as I never get to play as Peach
I love peach. I'm actually pretty impressed at how different every character feels. It makes the game much more varied. And they all fell good too! *bow ead*

Davey Cakes

she's op as fuck

I use Luigi because Luigi is my main in every game he's in besides Smash Bros. When he get's boring I'll switch to Toad because he's fast. Rarely use Peach or Mario lol
I use Luigi because I'm tired of Mario and I like Luigi's jump.

I only used Peach once, and that was for getting the stamp that required using her.

In multiplayer I might end up using her if no one else wants to play as her. Other than that I'll probably stick to Luigi.

she's op as fuck

I use Luigi because Luigi is my main in every game he's in besides Smash Bros. When he get's boring I'll switch to Toad because he's fast. Rarely use Peach or Mario lol

For shame Anth0ny. How do you not main Luigi in the only game where he's directly beating the crap out of people..?

For shame.

The game is just incredible, now that I can finally control Mario/Toad precisely I'm playing some of the first levels trying to beat ghost Miis, I think I'm in love with everything from this game. Yeah, even the first levels. One thing: I'm racing with Miis but nothing saves my time :( is that something I will unlock after finishing the game? Will the game share my fastest ghost or just the latest?

Here some of my posts. Oh yeah, add me, ID is Vampiro

8cvr.png

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAADYUV6qx2K8yA

06ry.png

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAAABUaW3i8aHqA

nimv.png

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAAABUaW3i_AdkA

I feel like such an asshole when this happens.

Its funny how much milage I got out of the Koopa Troopa shell stuff in that one beach level, and I don't think they appear in a stage again after that
Can you somehow ride the shells or something? Saw a video earlier in this thread where someone played as Peach and slipped into a shell. Or am I imagening stuff...?

Game has improved in world 3 but i still hate the timer, there is no need for it.

Can people please chime in and let me know what camera choice they are using(free or fixed) and what controller. For the first time ever in a mario game it's just not clicking for me.

Game has improved in world 3 but i still hate the timer, there is no need for it.

Can people please chime in and let me know what camera choice they are using(free or fixed) and what controller. For the first time ever in a mario game it's just not clicking for me.
I move the camera sometimes just for the sake of it, I'm playing with the gamepad. The game took some time to completely click for me cause I had to get used to the controls, a thing that didn't happen normally.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Complaints about worlds 1 and 2 confuse me a little.

Is it possible for you guys to replay any of the old games without being bored out of your mind in the first 10 minutes?

I mean, my favorite game in the series is Lost Levels partly because it's one of the only games in the series that assumes that you're competent from the outset and doesn't have to give you training wheels, but considering that that's not a common pick in the slightest, I'm a little confused.

How difficult is getting 100% compared to nsmbu?
This answer is completely dependent on whether you include Challenge Mode in "100%."

Is
Champion's Road
the toughest level in any 3D Mario game?
3D Land's was tougher, but I might be biased because I find the 3DS itself irritating to play on.

CAT TOAD SO KAWAIIIIIIII
Mew~ :3

honestly it's one of the (very) few things the original Mario world got right.
I like you.

Just managed to pick this up today. Looking forward to playing co-op with my GF later. Does one of us have to be on the game pad, or can we both use Motzenchuks?

Berordn

Just managed to pick this up today. Looking forward to playing co-op with my GF later. Does one of us have to be on the game pad, or can we both use Motzenchuks?

Some levels will force someone to use it, but for the most part you can use whatever. If you're playing with 4 people someone has to use it, though.

I don't think the timer is pointless. It's clearly designed so you can't spend a long time stopping and trying to figure out how to tackle a situation, you just have to go.

Considering the verticality of a lot of the levels, it's also meant to be a punishment for messing up and falling to the bottom.

You may disagree with its existence, but it's a deliberate design choice with a point.

Theorymon

Holy shit, I need to experiment more with the touch screen. Been doing second playthrough stuff, and turns out,
you can flick Bowser's soccer ball bombs back at him, so you can annihilate him without even touching a button!

I wonder what other secrets the touch screen holds...

Loonz

Picked the game yesterday. The soundtrack my goodness, it's unbelievably outrageously amazing. Love the game, top gameplay, but the music it's just perfect. I like it better than the SMG ones (don't hate me, just a personal opinion), not only for the quality of it... it just doesn't sound as detached from the action as in those IMO.

I also like how SMB2 serves as inspiration for this game. It's been forgotten for so long, unfairly. I specially enjoy playing co-op with my brother. We need more co-op platformers guys.

JoeM86

Been playing this all day. Into the post-game and getting the stars in some of these levels is ridiculously tricky. Had to turn it off, since I started to rage.

maxcriden

I've never really cared about world maps in Mario to be honest. I think they're a nice bonus when done right in games like Super Mario World and New Super Mario Bros U, but otherwise, I don't really think much of them, so I didn't really care about 3D Land's level selector stuff (3D Land disappointed me in other ways, but that's for a different post, can't really articulate my problems with 3D Land at the moment).

The major thing I feel is missing from the game is Challenge Mode. Challenge Mode is pretty much THE reason New Super Mario Bros U is my favorite 2D Mario. Super Mario 3D World has a reasonable difficulty curve (unlike 3D Land), but man I'd love some of the crazy hardcore stuff a Challenge mode could throw at me, since New Super Mario Bros U showed that Nintendo is very willing to break your balls in secondary modes. It took me longer to get Gold on all the challenges than it took to actually beat most Mario games for me!

You've gotten Gold on all the challenges? That's amazing. I'm still working on some of those....

maxcriden

Has any Gaffer ever used the Super Guide in a game? I never have, and I don't know anyone who has either so it would be really interesting to know if Nintendo has any statistics about it.

I might have tried it out in 3DL before I really understood that it was a super guide assist item. Now that I know what it is, I never use it in DKCR3D or SM3DW.

maxcriden

I've done it a couple of times in DKCR (rocket barrel stages) and a couple of times in 3D World where I was either not enjoying myself or was too eager to move on to the next stage.

These levels are so much more playable on 3DS, as is the whole game.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Bought this game at launch yesterday, but couldnt get to it before this evening. Have just completed world 1 (not 100%) and must say I am really happy with it so far. A few thoughts:

- Like everybody else, I really like the cat suit. I am actually surprised by this as I thought it was just another gimmick, but the way it changes exploration with the climbing is actually superfun.

- Liked the toad-level actually, it was an interesting change of pace

- Really liked the racing on dino-level. Hope there are more levels like this later with higher difficulty

- The bowser fight was much more fun than normal mario boss-fights

Most importantly though, I feel this is a brilliant evelution of the more linear level design that started in the Galaxy-games, and while it probably also looses something, it now feels even more like a plattform mario game. Both Mario 64 and Sunshine went more in the adventure-game genre with more puzzles, exploration etc, but Galaxy and even moreso this takes it back to precision-based plattforming which is what the series was all about from the start. Not to say I doesnt LOVE Mario 64 and Sunshine as well, but I think overall, the series is better in this direction.

There are some things I dont like though, I know the music gets a lot of praise, but so far, I feel its a bit repetitive, and nowhere near Galaxy-level. I also think the first few levels were a bit boring, but I guess that is to be expected in a game which is meant to reach out to everyone.

maxcriden

I finished the first two worlds and I'm kinda underwhelmed so far to be honest. It's fun I guess, but I dunno. I'm not really feeling it. Feels very....standard. Honestly this far in I was having more fun with Sonic Lost World. Of course the quality in that game went on to fall off a cliff, and I'd imagine this game is only going to get better. 3D Land took a good while to get interesting too so I'm hoping it's the same here.

IWBTG, it does get substantially better as it goes on. It took a few worlds for it to really fully click with me just how great it is.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Some more stuff:

- I fucking hate the battery life of the gamepad :(

- I miss the spin move from Galaxy

- In general I feel standard Mario has devolved a bit, he has less moves now right? Makes it feel more like the 2D-games and makes the suits matters more, so I can see why, but Im not sure I like it.

- The timer makes sense I think as it pushes you forward in the same way as in the 2D-games

Then I have a question. I have heard people praising the miiverse-integration, but I dont quite get this as I do not see ghosts in my game, nor miiverse-posts or anything else. Is that because I am still in world 1 or might it have something to do with my settings?

maxcriden

There are some things I dont like though, I know the music gets a lot of praise, but so far, I feel its a bit repetitive, and nowhere near Galaxy-level. I also think the first few levels were a bit boring, but I guess that is to be expected in a game which is meant to reach out to everyone.

FWIW, the music becomes significantly more impressive as the game goes on.

maxcriden

- I miss the spin move from Galaxy

Then I have a question. I have heard people praising the miiverse-integration, but I dont quite get this as I do not see ghosts in my game, nor miiverse-posts or anything else. Is that because I am still in world 1 or might it have something to do with my settings?

-Just FYI, I know it's not the same but you can do a spin if you run in a circle and jump. It has to be a tight spin of the analog stick, though.

-I believe Miiverse posting gets unlocked after World 1.

zroid

Banned
I don't think the timer is pointless. It's clearly designed so you can't spend a long time stopping and trying to figure out how to tackle a situation, you just have to go.

Considering the verticality of a lot of the levels, it's also meant to be a punishment for messing up and falling to the bottom.

You may disagree with its existence, but it's a deliberate design choice with a point.

I don't have a problem with it personally. You can always revisit the level if you missed something. It adds a little bit of tension which is a good thing.

With that said, I feel there are some stages which don't really benefit from the timer at all. I wouldn't say they "suffer" either, but I wouldn't mind it if in future games the timer were only used selectively rather than universally.

zigg

Timer contributes to score as well. Given that just about any level is speed-runnable*, balancing timer seconds with points scored lends some nice replay value.

* With the notable exception of autoscrollers. I would love to see a future Mario game allow me to push an autoscroller ahead. Waiting for them can be a pain.

Sixfortyfive

I've never thought that that timer was a net-positive in the series in general, and in games like NSMB and SM3DL/W, the presence of star coins and green stars are a direct design conflict with it. You have to weigh exploration for trinkets against a time limit, and ultimately this just leads to exiting to the map and retrying in order to circumvent death, coincidentally costing you extra time for something that is supposedly meant to keep you moving along faster.

A timer is good for the short 100-second challenge stages, because those are built completely around the idea. As a game-wide mechanic, it's kind of dumb.

That said, I think I could count on one hand the number of times this actually became an issue for me in 3D World and still have a few fingers to spare, so that's saying something I guess.

Berordn

* With the notable exception of autoscrollers. I would love to see a future Mario game allow me to push an autoscroller ahead. Waiting for them can be a pain.

Gonna second this. It's one of the things keeping me from just replaying all the stages in a sitting.

Sixfortyfive

The black fog levels in NSMBW/NSMBU are basically that. I guess that trap tower level in 3DW also fits.

More of those, yes, please.

Seik

Banned
Maaaaaaaaaaan.

Flower World
is getting me frustrated as fuuuuuck. At the same time, that's a good thing, because it needs hard levels like these.

But holy shiiiiit, especially when you want those green stars, so hard. D:

Linkhero1

Post game spoilers:

I just unlocked Mushroom World. Man. I'm loving every ounce of this game. Is Flower World the last world or is there another after?

Top Bottom