• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Did my part, Gaf. Bought and played straight through to world 4. Fun stuff if a tad simplistic. Already missing Galaxy tbh. Music here is also a tad underwhelming. Nothing has stuck to my head just yet.

I remember almost all the tunes and can't remember many of the Galaxy sweeping ones.

The Galaxy games' music was very good but the music in this game is topnotch.

zroid

Banned
9C3caEL.png

VC9gLg5.png

:lol

I played it quite a bit with a friend this afternoon. What a fantastic game, it's much better than I expected. The 3D Land gameplay and the multiplayer works extremely well, in the New Mario games, you don't have enough room, it's always a mess, but here with all the space, it works perfectly, it must be a mess with four player, but at two player it's perfect.

Other than that, the game plays like a charm, it looks amazing and runs super smooth, the soundtrack is amazing (I love its cheerful jazzy feel, I didn't liked the soundtracks of the galaxy games too much, they felt too forced to me, like all those hollywood movies for kids), and the level design is godly. Every level feel fresh and bring a new exciting idea, it's amazing how Nintendo can put a game like that after milking the franchise these last few years, they are definitely the kings of plateform games. Out of all the awesome 2D sidescrollers that gets released these days, nothing comes close, nothing. Nintendo is one a league of their own here.

Sorry GTA V and The Last of Us, but Super Mario Mario 3D World is the GOTY.

I really love how there's absolutely no bullshit in there, it's just pure, awesome gameplay. No annoying and intrusive narrative or tutorials, no shitty overpriced DLC (maybe they'll come later though...), no annoying day one updates that take forever to download, 60 FUCKING FPS with no slowdown, crisp visuals, no loading times. I wish there were more games like that, all video games should be as smooth and perfect as that.

I finally received my copy today (Thanks, Amazon.) and had a chance to play the first world and a half. My depth perception is a little iffy but I've loved every level I've played so far. The game looks beautiful and the little touches of nostalgia are balanced out nicely with plenty of new things to see and do. I've only tried out Mario and Peach so far but I can't wait to get back to it later and play the others.

JoeM86

I really can't imagine the post-game levels being much fun in multiplayer unless all players are of the same, high, skill level

UNCMark

Banned
I ended up buying a Zelda Wii U bundle this afternoon for 250. Intention was to buy 3D World from Amazon due to free shipping and no taxes, but they're sold out. I hope that means Nintendo has a hit on their hands and not that they just undershipped again.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I am well into the postgame-content, and I've revisted plenty of old levels, and I have not encountered even ONE time-trial ghost. Not even after
the game said "fast ghosts" will start to appear
. I've got the shit switched on, what's the deal here!!!

Berordn

I am well into the postgame-content, and I've revisted plenty of old levels, and I have not encountered even ONE time-trial ghost. Not even after
the game said "fast ghosts" will start to appear
. I've got the shit switched on, what's the deal here!!!

Luck and miiverse connectivity. They're not built into the game or anything, they're just ghosts from miiverse that are particularly speedy at beating th elevels.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Luck and miiverse connectivity. They're not built into the game or anything, they're just ghosts from miiverse that are particularly speedy at beating th elevels.

Yeah, I know that, but my world maps are all full of various Miis talking about this and that. It's definitely not an issue with connectivity to the service. Pretty weird that I haven't run into any in levels proper.

kizmah

Got the game today from my gf as a birthday present. Halfway through World 2 and I'm having a blast. It started of quite slow bit it's definitely ramping up into something amazing. Btw, love the catsuit.

8TZxf0u.jpg

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So I just realized the flagpole of the levels you have cleared changes to yellow if u manage to reach the top. Is there any good reason to strive for this except this colouring change? Doesnt really see it well when u collect the three stars even, so dont think I will stress much with it unless it unlocks something awesome.

Sendou

So I just realized the flagpole of the levels you have cleared changes to yellow if u manage to reach the top. Is there any good reason to strive for this except this colouring change? Doesnt really see it well when u collect the three stars even, so dont think I will stress much with it unless it unlocks something awesome.

If you want to see everything the game has to offer you should try to get it on every level.

Berordn

You will want to hit the top of every flagpole eventually, but it doesn't make that big a difference the first time you play through the levels.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, I know that, but my world maps are all full of various Miis talking about this and that. It's definitely not an issue with connectivity to the service. Pretty weird that I haven't run into any in levels proper.

They've only shown up for my when I replay a level.

Fletcher

Question for people that have this. About to go grab it and wondering how well it plays with the wiiU gamepad? It uses the wii controller too, right? So my wife can play? Should I get the pro controller?

Mogwai

Question for people that have this. About to go grab it and wondering how well it plays with the wiiU gamepad? It uses the wii controller too, right? So my wife can play? Should I get the pro controller?
The analog stick is a must for precise controls. The d pad is a pita to use. But I guess most have a nunchick anyway :)

I actually like using the Wii-Remote, I find it most precise since the game primarily is designed with strict, diagonal-based level design in mind.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
- There are a few stages that require the Gamepad, but these only have to be played if you're going for 100% completion.
- With 1 to 3 players, you can use any combination of controllers. With 4 players, I think one person has to use the Gamepad.
- IMO, the Gamepad, Pro Controller, Classic Controller Pro, and Remote + Nunchuck are all fine. The Remote alone and the original Classic Controller are not ideal due to how crouching works on them.

olimpia84

Just beat the game. Wow. Behold the latest masterpiece in the gaming industry. This game will go down in my books in the same place as SMW and SM64.

The bowser world theme is sooo good.

I can imagine Bowser in a pinstripe suit as the owner of a seedy bar and that music playing in the background.

What sort of magic are Nintendo using to hide load times? Game is totally seamless, it's pretty amazing.

There is about a second going from the map to the character select screen, 4 seconds at a minimum on the character select screen and then a second after that while you get to the level.

zroid

Banned
(post-game)
Boss Blitz was hard :(

Also the time when I finally beat it, I stupidly didn't grab one of the green stars, so I had to do it again :\

the next time I cheated by grabbing two Cat Bells before starting though, so it was a lot easier

The analog stick is a must for precise controls. The d pad is a pita to use. But I guess most have a nunchick anyway :)

hmm, i have been using the gamepad's d pad exclusively and have had no problems. i've gathered everything and now i'm just going back and passing each stage with every character.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_010eumx.jpg

And done!

Awewome game. The humor, setting and just everything could be the beginning of a wonderful new nintendo era. The gameplay, music, animation.. everything just fits.

Wonderful. Would love to see a mario rpg with these production values.

Glass Joe

(post-game)
Boss Blitz was hard :(

Also the time when I finally beat it, I stupidly didn't grab one of the green stars, so I had to do it again :\

the next time I cheated by grabbing two Cat Bells before starting though, so it was a lot easier

I'm there now and gave up for the time being. It's more of a time management issue. My heart sank when I got all the keys with seconds remaining only to see I wasn't done.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_010eumx.jpg

And done!

Awewome game. The humor, setting and just everything could be the beginning of a wonderful new nintendo era. The gameplay, music, animation.. everything just fits.

Wonderful. Would love to see a mario rpg with these production values.
Done? You only got 188 stars! You've just started!

rawktapus

Agreed! The extreme poses and snappy pacing of the cutscenes is really reminescent of the older cartoons, like Popeye, that Mario is partially inspired by. Mario and the gang are determined but upbeat, Bowser's an overconfident blowhard who's fun to fight, and the whole world is alive and bouncing along to the music. It's an atmosphere and an attitude that feels sorely missing from the library of most games these days.

Powercast

Did my part, Gaf. Bought and played straight through to world 4. Fun stuff if a tad simplistic. Already missing Galaxy tbh. Music here is also a tad underwhelming. Nothing has stuck to my head just yet. My biggest complaint, surprisingly, is how I have to almost rely on my shadow to watch where I jump. I find this more frustrating than im sure what was intended. This is where the 3DS game easily outshines this game imho.

I agree. I'm also at world 4 and I just think this is too similar to the NSMB games for my taste, with the overworld layout, Timer, less moves, small levels, etc. The art direction is incredible tho.

Top Bottom