• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I havent completed it (at world 8) but I think the game is brilliant straight from the start. At World 7 it is god-like though - but even before that it is easily one of the best games Ive played the whole year. It is too easy though, thats my only complaint - but what game isnt pretty easy these days?

TheExodu5

Banned
Okay, finally at word three, with many worlds to go. Everyone I've spoken to says the game really picks up around this point, so I'm looking forward to that.

I'm not sure if it picks up completely, but so far, the first few levels of World 3 were great. Loved the first level (skating is so much fun), as simple as it was...and the chain link fence level is the first moderately challenging level (not really, but at least there's some platforming involved).

Okay, finally at word three, with many worlds to go. Everyone I've spoken to says the game really picks up around this point, so I'm looking forward to that.
Yes it does and it gets better level by level. I'm so in love right now, I'm enjoying even first levels, the ones I found a little flat at the beginning. This game is doing the same thing that Galaxy did for me, it throws so many ideas and so quickly that you don't have time to think about its greatness, but when further in the game (not post game, I don't know what happens there) you start to see little ideas from, say, lvl 1-2 being used in a different and evilish way you start to see what the plan was: training. And I needed it, the Cat suit isn't casual at all.

Elixist

Game is so dam fun with family/friends. Sooo pretty and just oozes charm. The Nintendo spit shine doesnt hurt either. I would love an action rpg 20-40 hours long that looked and played like this.

vall03

I'm intimidated by
World Crown.
Would stop for now and play later. Might also start getting Gold stars starting on the 1st World too.

zroid

Banned
BTW does anyone know yet what the reward is for gold starring every level? I doubt I'm going to be doing that any time soon, so might as well just get the scoop beforehand.

Or is there no reward outside of the character portrait stamps

Nose Master

Got to the real final level, finally. Not sure if I'm gonna put in the time, though. The physics and momentum are really driving me crazy in this one.

Nose Master

Oh ffs!
Flower World - 12
. Is it possible to finish this without running out of time?

You can hit both of the plate-spinning snake guys off one plate jump (save the dive for the second one). The boulder dude you can save a boulder for the third hit after the second spawn, just be careful about it coming back to life. You can throw it and pick it up again.

Double post D:

OmahaG8

Ugh. So much spending.

I have $10 in my Wii U wallet and am soooooo tempted to just buy it DD. But it's Nintendo. . . no account system. I mus'nt. I have 1 game DD through eShop and it was AC in the 3DS XL bundle. But I don't have to go anywhere I can play it in just a few minutes. . .

BTW does anyone know yet what the reward is for gold starring every level? I doubt I'm going to be doing that any time soon, so might as well just get the scoop beforehand.

Or is there no reward outside of the character portrait stamps
Doesn't seem to be any other reward from what I just googled. You get those 5 stars on your file and that's it. Course Nintendo could always add DLC later which I'm hoping they do hehe

Bydobob

Magical, magical game. Only up to World 3 but instinct tells me this will rival the very best Mario games. Level design is already a notch above 3D Land and the variety of secrets and surprises is astonishing. It's not just a case of stuffing the game with lots of content either, everything works, even the Toad levels are fun. This also happens to be one of the prettiest games I've ever clapped eyes on. Did I say I was impressed?

clubstoic

Banned
WiiU_SM3DW_10.01.13_Scrn15.png

Man these screenshots are such bullshit. You never get these camera angles. Is my copy broken and stuck on the multiplayer camera or is it supposed to be a stationary, zoomed out isometric view? These screenshots are lies to sell the game.

Porcile

Man these screenshots are such bullshit. You never get these camera angles. Is my copy broken and stuck on the multiplayer camera or is it supposed to be a stationary, zoomed out isometric view? These screenshots are lies to sell the game.

You can freely rotate the camera by pressing the Wii U Gamepad icon in the corner. Doesn't always work though as expected from a Mario game.

neohwa

Level designs and fun factor are again top notch, as expected from Mario games.

But anyone wish this has online multiplayer? I feel a lot of Nintendo games can be even better and benefitted from online multi, assuming no lag or wait time of course.

CassSept

Got to
World Flower

Are all these levels again remixes of previous levels like in World Mushroom? If so, that's pretty underwhelming

Porcile

Level designs and fun factor are again top notch, as expected from Mario games.

But anyone wish this has online multiplayer? I feel a lot of Nintendo games can be even better and benefitted from online multi, assuming no lag or wait time of course.

The game is most fun with four people you know, playing in the same room together. Give it a go. I guess online would be alright for the option, but it's apparent that Nintendo has very little interest in online experiences. So until then, grab a few friends or family and have a laugh.

JoeInky

Got to
World Flower

Are all these levels again remixes of previous levels like in World Mushroom? If so, that's pretty underwhelming

Yes, but to be fair, flower world has pretty much the best level in the game if I'm remembering correctly,
The one that's the piranha creeper level but at night, it's a fantastic level

Great music, great visuals, challenging to get all the green stars, really enjoyed that level.

JoeM86

The game is most fun with four people you know, playing in the same room together. Give it a go. I guess online would be alright for the option, but it's apparent that Nintendo has very little interest in online experiences. So until then, grab a few friends or family and have a laugh.

I think it's both good and bad that Nintendo are like that. They should give it as an option, but we should be thankful that at least one company is trying to keep local multiplayer going rather than shelve it.

PS4/Xbox One can accept 8 controllers, right? Why? The only split screen games on it are 2 player. Just have to hope the indie games keep up the local multiplayer.

Anyway, played it with my brother, was great fun, though he cost me 20+ lives.

Which is to say, "This game would be great with an online mode, as long as they could remove the intrinsic negative side effects of playing in an online mode!"

Playing online is nothing like playing with friends, and I mean that in the worst possible way here. There's a cold anonymity and frightening unpredictability to online interactions that doesn't suit Super Mario games very well.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Which is to say, "This game would be great with an online mode, as long as they could remove the intrinsic negative side effects of playing in an online mode!"
I'm chomping at the bit to play Cakewalk Flip in co-op with 250ms of input lag and possibly no communication.

8bit

Knows the Score
Don't want to delve too far into this thread for fear of spoilers, but sometimes I see a sprite Mario pop out of a block when I hit it. Is there any explanation for this?

I'm chomping at the bit to play Cakewalk Flip in co-op with 250ms of input lag and possibly no communication.

Man, could you imagine trying to get a green star in one of those levels where they seemingly place them backwards from where the level takes you, but with three other players with the patience of a standard online gamer?

Jackano

I'm enjoying the game but not as much as the reviews let me hope.

There is one thing that bother me. Yeah we had this debate of whatever people thought it was 3DLand on steroids, and it's true that I was in the group saying it wasn't - But playing it now, we must recognize that certain levels are very much like 3D Land, particularly the undergound and "water corridors" ones.

It's not a problem here, but my complain is, I have hard time in certain parts to play them in HD-2D! In the
Mario Kart
level, I lost a couple lives stupidly at the end because without 3D, I had no idea how much I derive from the center of the course, and ended up dying on the bottom on the screen while I was aiming for the center where the final pole is.
It's either or a sum of those: - I'm bad; - The camera view angle doesn't suite a 3D game without stereoscopic 3D; - Because of HD and also art direction, your character shadow that always been since Super Mario 64 your way to play thought a 3D platformer is too tiny, and sometimes, like in the example I gave, it's out of screen! Because in this level you have to do a big jump to find a green star, and the floor is for a good part out of the TV screen.

Am I over-feeling this or someone else have the same problem (I didn't read back all this thread, sorry if it has been discussed already)!

Also, I wasn't at first interested into those stamps thing, but I quickly figured out that for people like me who can't draw, it's pretty cool. I posted this exact thought on Miiverse and with a handful "yeahs" on it, it seems that many people aknowledge this as well.

I'm enjoying the game but not as much as the reviews let me hope.

There is one thing that bother me. Yeah we had this debate of whatever people thought it was 3DLand on steroids, and it's true that I was in the group saying it wasn't - But playing it now, we must recognize that certain levels are very much like 3D Land, particularly the undergound and "water corridors" ones.

It's not a problem here, but my complain is, I have hard time in certain parts to play them in HD-2D! In the
Mario Kart
level, I lost a couple lives stupidly at the end because without 3D, I had no idea how much I derive from the center of the course, and ended up dying on the bottom on the screen while I was aiming for the center where the final pole is.
It's either or a sum of those: - I'm bad; - The camera view angle doesn't suite a 3D game without stereoscopic 3D; - Because of HD and also art direction, your character shadow that always been since Super Mario 64 your way to play thought a 3D platformer is too tiny, and sometimes, like in the example I gave, it's out of screen! Because in this level you have to do a big jump to find a green star, and the floor is for a good part out of the TV screen.

Am I over-feeling this or someone else have the same problem (I didn't read back all this thread, sorry if it has been discussed already)!

Also, I wasn't at first interested into those stamps thing, but I quickly figured out that for people like me who can't draw, it's pretty cool. I posted this exact thought on Miiverse and with a handful "yeahs" on it, it seems that many people aknowledge this as well.

I've had a handful of cheap deaths due to the camera angle, but not nearly enough for me to consider it a problem.

Yeah, water stages in this game are a victim of both the 3D land style setup and multiplayer.
They're basically 2D stages with the most minimal of back and forth movement available. In 3D Land at least they could place the camera behind Mario or at an angle for wider water areas but I have to assume here that the addition of multiplayer put an end to that for visibility reasons. This probably explains why there's so few full on water stages in this game despite the large level count, at least this isn't really much of a loss.
Actually there's also less underground stages as well now you mention them, double result!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well I have found all possible stamps
but notice I've got some blank spaces. Game is basically telling me there are more levels to unlock.

Actually there's also less underground stages as well now you mention them, double result!
I see you're shedding tears for the under exposure of another 1-2 underground music arrangement.

ffdgh

Well I have found all possible stamps
but notice I've got some blank spaces. Game is basically telling me there are more levels to unlock.

I see you're shedding tears for the under exposure of another 1-2 underground music arrangement.

for the last 5 stamps, you gotta complete every stage with every character lol

zroid

Banned
Doesn't seem to be any other reward from what I just googled. You get those 5 stars on your file and that's it. Course Nintendo could always add DLC later which I'm hoping they do hehe

Ah, thanks. Well, that's fine, we've been "rewarded" enough, really. :p

I just thought maybe there'd be a new title screen or something similar.

NotLiquid

Okay I need to fucking know what wizardry it is that EAD harnesses when making their games. World 5-7 would have caused framerate drops up the ass in any other game but here its somehow managing in running at a crystal smooth 60 FPS throughout.

I can't

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
You can freely rotate the camera by pressing the Wii U Gamepad icon in the corner. Doesn't always work though as expected from a Mario game.

but that level doesn't have a Gamepad icon. How do people take these screens? I would love to get some myself with that zoomed in angle

CoLaN

Bought a Wii U Zelda Bundle, and Super Mario 3D World.

This game is just TOO good, i have been playing for hours and it still feels so fresh.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
for the last 5 stamps, you gotta complete every stage with every character lol
I was wondering to myself earlier if the game was going to ask for that since SM3DL had a similar requirement. Guessing it will tell me later which levels have been completed by whom. Only up to the Mushroom world.

Robin64

I was wondering to myself earlier if the game was going to ask for that since SM3DL had a similar requirement. Guessing it will tell me later which levels have been completed by whom. Only up to the Mushroom world.

Yeah, after a certain point, the speech bubbles on each level get updated to show more info.

Top Bottom