• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Lijik

The analog stick is a must for precise controls. The d pad is a pita to use. But I guess most have a nunchick anyway :)

Mostly yeah but for later speedpad stages like Red Hot Run you're going to want to use the dpad

Agreed! The extreme poses and snappy pacing of the cutscenes is really reminescent of the older cartoons, like Popeye, that Mario is partially inspired by. Mario and the gang are determined but upbeat, Bowser's an overconfident blowhard who's fun to fight, and the whole world is alive and bouncing along to the music. It's an atmosphere and an attitude that feels sorely missing from the library of most games these days.

Word. Mario 3D World fully captures the tone and whimsy of a 1930s Mickey Mouse cartoon which two whole Epic Mickey games couldn't quite nail.

Mostly yeah but for later speedpad stages like Red Hot Run you're going to want to use the dpad

Word. Mario 3D World fully captures the tone and whimsy of a 1930s Mickey Mouse cartoon which two whole Epic Mickey games couldn't quite nail.

I managed to beat this stage in my first attempt...but I don't know how....lol

Azure J

Someone mentioned Bowser themes in here and I have to mention that the regular Bowser Battle theme (Pimp Car) is one of my favorite themes in the franchise very easily.

Also totally agreed on this game being an ode to old school cartoons. It's like we're actually playing "Mario's Merry Melodies" or Mario & the Super Star Gang in "3D World". Everything is just so full of life and genuinely fun to watch and interact with.

ffdgh

wiiu_screenshot_tv_010eumx.jpg

And done!

Awewome game. The humor, setting and just everything could be the beginning of a wonderful new nintendo era. The gameplay, music, animation.. everything just fits.

Wonderful. Would love to see a mario rpg with these production values.

You're not done...Your pain has only yet begun.

LocalE

I am an expert with mario games (one of the crazy people who got all the stars in M64)
That's not crazy.
The crazy people are the ones who got all the shines in Sunshine.

Like what, really? Or for what?
I'm in the process of getting green stars and stamps I missed so I can get to the final bit, and I haven't run into anything that I feel like I'd rather use the d-pad for.

I have used the d-pad some, as I used just the wii remote the other day in multiplayer. I didn'tlike it much.

Just beat the game and then unlocked the available after clearing the game. This game is sooooo good. Most annoying stage was the one right before the final battle level. Getting the stamp and all the green stars there was annoying!

Lijik

Like what, really? Or for what?
I'm in the process of getting green stars and stamps I missed so I can get to the final bit, and I haven't run into anything that I feel like I'd rather use the d-pad for.

I have used the d-pad some, as I used just the wii remote the other day in multiplayer. I didn'tlike it much.

Maybe its just I was playing as Luigi, but I had a really hard time making the sharp turns that stage requires until i switched to the dpad where it was infinitely easier since all four cardinal directions were a tap away.

I wouldnt use it for normal levels, but stages like that? absolutely. I dont think its that crazy.

sinxtanx

got the game today, and I've already got some progress on post game hehe
the curse of being good at mario

GAF told me the final boss fight of world 8 would be awesome. I was still not prepared.

• Music is ace
  • Controls are ace
  • Level design is ace
  • Cat suit is ace
  • Hammer going dinalingalingalingalinga
  • Luigi is everywhere
  • Plessie :D
  • Done some two-player as well and that was ace, too

GOT-F-Y

EDIT: How could I forget to mention the graphics! 1080p 60fps everything is so high-res omagud color overload

This game is so charming and fun. All of the cute little details, you can't help but smile.
I kinda think it lacks the wow factor of the Galaxy games. I have not played the post game content, but the main game also lacks the perfectly balanced challenge of SMG2. I kinda expected this, so I wasn't disappointed. Very close to my GOTY. Unlike GTA5, Bioshock, and TLOU, 3D world is perfectly designed with nothing that is annoying or frustrating. EAD Tokyo might be the best developer in the world.

NotLiquid

You know I was there with probably most people and laughed when Nintendo said that "transparent pipes" was Mario bringing in fresh new ideas to the table.

Then World 3-5 happened.

Adrian121

I got to play this at my friends house for a few hours. The graphics are incredibly stunning. I had a blast playing it for the short time I got to. Seriously considering getting a Wii U now for this.

Flower World levels are freaking brutal.

I ran across the map. There seems to be like 10+ more levels in this world than I've seen in any "normal" world. Crazy.

Ok, i just read about the 'stuff' after the credits. Nintendo.. are you fucking kidding me? Activision would sell this for hundrets of dollars.

Game of the forever.

roknin

Ok, i just read about the 'stuff' after the credits. Nintendo.. are you fucking kidding me? Activision would sell this for hundrets of dollars.

Game of the forever.

Seriously lol.
I keep looking at the map and I'm like "damn, there's more? Jesus."

zreese

Neo Member
So I booted up my Wii U this morning and my save file was gone. I checked the data setting and it shows there's SM3DW save data on the system memory, but the game itself is showing three empty save files. Anyone have any idea what went wrong, and how I can fix it? I think I'll cry if I lost all my progress.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So warp zones are kind of pointless in this game. If you take the shortest route possible and pick up every star along the way, you end up at the World 7 castle with 102-103 stars. You have to have 130 stars to play that stage.

So I booted up my Wii U this morning and my save file was gone. I checked the data setting and it shows there's SM3DW save data on the system memory, but the game itself is showing three empty save files. Anyone have any idea what went wrong, and how I can fix it? I think I'll cry if I lost all my progress.
Are you signed in as a different user somehow?

I reached my goal of unlocking
Rosalina she is adorable in turtle suits

my thumbs hurt now not sure if I'll play for much longer I don't have the skills to clear 100%

Roo

got the game today, and I've already got some progress on post game hehe
the curse of being good at mario

GAF told me the final boss fight of world 8 would be awesome. I was still not prepared.

• Music is ace
  • Controls are ace
  • Level design is ace
  • Cat suit is ace
  • Hammer going dinalingalingalingalinga
  • Luigi is everywhere
  • Plessie :D
  • Done some two-player as well and that was ace, too

GOT-F-Y

EDIT: How could I forget to mention the graphics! 1080p 60fps everything is so high-res omagud color overload

It's 720p, actually.

maxcriden

seriously, Chain Link Charge, fuck this fucking second green star

FWIW you probably already know this but (a) don't let the camera angle mess with you, keep the analog stick moving in the same direction when you have a good angle and clear path set up, and (b) keep in mind that when you climb up the fence your feline character will automatically climb over the fence, you don't need to press the jump button at the top of the fence; it is much harder IMO if you press it.

Linkhero1

I finished
Mushroom World fairly quick. Excited for Flower World.

I checked how many hours I clocked in so far...20 hours so far and I'm not done yet. I take my time inspecting every nook and cranny so I'm pretty slow at times.

dmr87

Absolutely love Peach's different 'suits', Fire Flower looks stunning, and the small details like her hair. And it looks so fucking good overall, EAD magic right there.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
FWIW you probably already know this but (a) don't let the camera angle mess with you, keep the analog stick moving in the same direction when you have a good angle and clear path set up, and (b) keep in mind that when you climb up the fence your feline character will automatically climb over the fence, you don't need to press the jump button at the top of the fence; it is much harder IMO if you press it.

wow I definitely didn't know your cat character automatically jumped over. That's going to be a lot less painful now, thanks mate!

Finished the game or everything except for the final lil postgame world.

Just going back to replay levels and using technique and skill and the abilities show you why EAD Tokyo is EAD Tokyo and no one else is them.

Take for instance the first underground area with the clear pipes, Koopas and purple blocks. Get into one of their shells and go from clear pipe to clear pipe throughout the level.

The amount of playability in these seemingly simple levels is astounding.

Gsnap

There is about a second going from the map to the character select screen, 4 seconds at a minimum on the character select screen and then a second after that while you get to the level.

To be fair, 3 of those 4 seconds are so that people have time to decide if they want to change their character. And the rest give you just enough time to read what's on screen.

So basically no load times.

Take for instance the first underground area with the clear pipes, Koopas and purple blocks. Get into one of their shells and go from clear pipe to clear pipe throughout the level.

The amount of playability in these seemingly simple levels is astounding.

You can get through the whole level just using the koopa shell and clear pipes? I'm gonna have to try that....

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Okay, finally at word three, with many worlds to go. Everyone I've spoken to says the game really picks up around this point, so I'm looking forward to that.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Btw I concur with everybody that the game is freaking brilliant. Got a bit carried away, and have been playing the whole night more or less, its almost seven in the morning here now :)

Got to world 8 where I started to die heavily on what seems to be the second to last level, so decided it was time to stop for now, almost becaome the first Mario-game I completed in one sitting. Anyways, while the game is awesome in so many ways like everybody writes, I feel the main game is actually a bit short. For me, I think it took more time to complete even NSMBU - and even that game only took two long sitting to beat in the first place - while games like Mario 64, Sunshine and both Galaxies took me weeks to get through. I know there are seemingly ton of post-game content and collection to do - but it just seems wierd to me that if there is so much extra stuff - why not put more of it into the real game? Not a big deal of course, and I guess its nice for the people who just want to see the credits and move on, but at least I feel its a bit too easy and short.

World 8 is brilliant though, just got to say! And I like how most of the collectables are actually a bit difficult to find. Best part about it all though is how varied the levels are. All the prior Mario-games reused levels for different missions, and it could get a bit repetitive, but this game actually goes completely in a different direction, and I think its better for it - and probably also more accessible which is good.

lt519

Just finished final battle, so incredible, I was not even close to being prepared for that. 49 lives sadly, most were when I first got it I was playing hammered and the rest were in the last few levels. Patience is key everyone!

Working my way back through all the worlds to get gold flagpoles, green stars and stamps
before I start World-Star, I've completed through world 6, almost done with world castle.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Yeesh, just looked up the two warp pipes. Had no idea they even existed. Warp Zones hardly seem necessary these days, people want MORE levels in these games, not the ability to SKIP levels. And these here only move you forward a single world, it's not like they're gonna be huge boons for speedrunners. Vestigial like lives, really, in a game where anyone who knows what they're doing will always have more than 100 lives.

totowhoa

Banned
Okay, finally at word three, with many worlds to go. Everyone I've spoken to says the game really picks up around this point, so I'm looking forward to that.

I'd say world 3 to 4, yeah. The challenge really picks up post-game and this is the first 3D Mario since 64 that I've wanted to get everything (and I thought 3D Land was so-so). The level design feels so tight when you're replaying levels with all the skill you've gained. And Rosalina makes the platforming feel amazing.

Top Bottom