• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

UNCMark

Banned
Just bought a Pro controller. What does the game do for the levels that touch and microphone are a requirement for if you play with the Pro?

LocalE

Maybe its just I was playing as Luigi, but I had a really hard time making the sharp turns that stage requires until i switched to the dpad where it was infinitely easier since all four cardinal directions were a tap away.

I wouldnt use it for normal levels, but stages like that? absolutely. I dont think its that crazy.

I'm not sayin it's crazy, I just haven't tried it and wasn't sure what exactly was making it easier for you about it.
I just went back through that a few minutes ago to get the third star. I had forgotten about this though, and still didn't try it. It was multiplayer and neither of us used the d-pad as far as I know, but next time I'm there I will try it and see how I like it.

Anteo

Just bought a Pro controller. What does the game do for the levels that touch and microphone are a requirement for if you play with the Pro?

It asks you if you want to change to the Pad for that particular stage (if you say no it wont let you in)

Robin64

wiiu_screenshot_gameptmucl.jpg

Peff

Hm, final boss is great, but it kinda feels like
you're fighting the super slow scrolling more so than actively avoiding Bowser, because otherwise the basic platforming would get you way ahead of him. It's an ok compromise for multiplayer, though.

All in all, definitely a worthy entry in the 3D Mario series, even if it's not particularly ground-breaking, which it doesn't really have to be. And I'm just getting started with the post-game stuff... the 4-5 levels I've played are already better than "oh hey the beat blocks are slightly faster now". Not to mention
Rosalina
, awesome surprise.

Andrew.

Banned
Hm, final boss is great, but it kinda feels like
you're fighting the super slow scrolling more so than actively avoiding Bowser, because otherwise the basic platforming would get you way ahead of him. It's an ok compromise for multiplayer, though.

That
blue POW block though

EhoaVash

I put many hours into this.on the last level of star world. sad to say..I am disappointed by this game.

This game does have many "new" ideas, some which are cool ( I love the cat suit ), others like the double cherry ..I felt disappointed with because it's used so rarely and it could of been used for other more creative things =/ same goes for those goomba skates.. like how cool would it be to have a level where your race with those skates? Overall this game has many good new ideas that don't reach their potential.

Also a lot of the world/level in this game are WAY TOO short but some of them do get difficult. I'm so used to 3D mario controls that this game killed me a lot in the beginning because I wasn't used to 2D mario much + the depth perception kind of sucks in this game. I really miss tripple jumping :( I played it a lot with my brother and co-op is a mess, I kept getting frustrated because of the depth perception when playing with another player sucks even more since the camera keeps zooming out. One thing I'll add is that this game does become very difficult ( mostly due to 2D controls in a 3D space =/ ) but the difficulty is the thing that made the game a bit fun/ last longer. Also bowser appears in this game like what twice? ..disappointing that there aren't many bowser fights ( also final boss level was really disappointing, I beat the whole level in less than a minute ) but I did enjoy the snake like carnival boss.

The game does have some terrific music ..but I was surprised that the selection of music in this game is sooo small compared to galaxy. It keeps reusing the same music in the later levels again and again and again. After world 4? There isn't any new music to hear aside from like 2 levels in the star world, disappointing.

I also punched a solid wall a few times and broke my knuckles. Fuck Nintendo.

Once you get older you'll laugh at times like this and realise how insignificant games are. I remember attempting to break my controller when playing Driv3r. Fucking piece of shit game!

maxcriden

Finally got to play more last night! We made it to
Bowser World minibosses
and beat
the clown guy whose name eludes me.
So fun! The
Haunted Mansion-style level with the flashlights
was amazing! Also, we could not have made it past
Grumbleblump Inferno
nearly as easily without the tips in this thread, thank you!

AGoodODST

Multiplayer is such a blast. Works much better than it does in the 2D games as there is actually space to accomodate more than one player. Not to mention the many hilarious moments that can occur such as this accidental re-enactment of the Lion King.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01v2j8p.jpg

Andrew.

Banned
Multiplayer is such a blast. Works much better than it does in the 2D games as there is actually space to accomodate more than one player. Not to mention the many hilarious moments that can occur such as this accidental re-enactment of the Lion King.

Long live the king

zroid

Banned
it's cool how you can see a blurry Luigi in the background of that screenshot

never noticed he was visible from that part the stage before

ffdgh

All those years of being second fiddle finally made him snap. Would've been even more perfect if toad was watching for somewhere in the background lol.

LocalE

I dont get how people can defend Nintendo not putting online in this. Of course its better to play it locally, and it is definitely designed that way, but this should be the players option - not all of us have anybody locally to play with, so for many of us, online multiplayer is the only viable multiplayer at all - and its just ridiculous and frankly undefendable that Nintendo stubbernly refuses to add it.

Well , not only is the experience going to be better in local multi, but I understand that they had to choose what to devote time and resources to. I also imagine that some work has been done on it and they decided that it would either require too much resources, or that in the end they wouldn't be satisfied with it from a quality of experience standpoint due to latency and what-not.
I would not mind the option being present, but I don't believe that the option was excluded maliciously or stubbornly. Nor do I believe that the the option was left out due to laziness.
I don't see that there should be any need to "defend" Nintendo for this. It is what it is

JoeFu

Banned
Taking this game slowly and enjoying every second of it. Just finished Red Hot Run a while ago and it was freaking amazing. The challenge in getting all 3 stars and the stamp in a single run was so good.

Sendou

We need a list of levels with hidden Luigis so that you can go hunt them and hopefully give the game a little more replayability :)

Owl pls

Believe in the JC that believes in you
I can taste the sample of victory, I had three stars in my clutches, surely I was on the brink of success.

A Tanooki suit is pretty much mandatory for that stage so be sure to bring one. A cat suit can't hurt either as there are some portions where it will certainly help with climbing.
The main reason I'd consider bringing suits at this point is just to tank hits if anything,
those fricken lazers man, start boost pad running at the wrong time and it can screw everything up on the following jumps.
Dammit I've come this far as Regular Toad, do I dare succumb to the forbidden fruit and end my suffering? because that's absolutely what I did in 3D land, then again that final stage threw minibosses in to make every retry infinitely more tedious so no regrets.

I just snapped my gamepad in half over my knee whilst playing the final world. Anyone know how Nintendo usually is for this stuff?
I'm choosing to imagine this as a devastating backbreaker like move.
The lovely thing about the gamepad is that its cost ensures I keep any rage in check.

JoeM86

I dont get how people can defend Nintendo not putting online in this. Of course its better to play it locally, and it is definitely designed that way, but this should be the players option - not all of us have anybody locally to play with, so for many of us, online multiplayer is the only viable multiplayer at all - and its just ridiculous and frankly undefendable that Nintendo stubbernly refuses to add it.

It's because we know the latency would have killed it. Why do you think so few platformers are online? The precision required is just not possible with latency as it is.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
One hand is sort of in ice right now, man. Sorry if this inconveniences you, but I'd rather take care of my broken knuckles.

Posting on gaf is clearly the way to go about it

AGoodODST

Stupid question, but how do you take a screenshot in 3D World?

Just push the home button. You can then either upload to Miiverse for a 480p screenshot, or open the broswer and upload a 720p screen to an image hosting site (I use abload). Then all you need to do is just access them on your computer.

Mudron

Just push the home button. You can then either upload to Miiverse for a 480p screenshot, or open the broswer and upload a 720p screen to an image hosting site (I use abload). Then all you need to do is just access them on your computer.

Thanks tons!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The game would suffer for one of two things depending on how it would be implemented:

1) Input lag on everything that varies by ping. Nobody wants to play that.

2) Teammates, enemies, and objects that just teleport all over the place due to rollbacks. Not great when you consider how much that you can interact with all of those things. I actually think this could work in a differently designed game though, such as a game in which the players aren't forced to be in close proximity of each other at all times. But 3DW isn't that game.

Then you have to consider that you're not guaranteed to have communication with your teammates. Think about that for a minute.

Personally, nothing from the previous generation disappointed me as much as online play in general, especially in most of the types of games that I play. It's hardly a feature I require or even want in most of them, platformers included. I won't have the opportunity to play a full multiplayer session in this game until Christmas week, and I might not ever have the opportunity to have another one after that, but even then, I think online play would pretty much be a useless bullet point for 3DW that I'd never want to use anyway.

CassSept

Btw, I just popped SM3DL in and holy hell the framerate is more noticeable than ever. If anyone ever says 30/60 fps doesn't matter this is a perfect example, make him play SM3DW and then SM3DL. The different is staggering.

Top Bottom