• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

To be fair, 3 of those 4 seconds are so that people have time to decide if they want to change their character. And the rest give you just enough time to read what's on screen.

So basically no load times.

Definitely no load times from the player point of view. I was just suggesting how EAD might be masking the load times. Very well done by them.

CassSept

Well, unless I'm missing something I finished all the levels in the game
except for Crown World
. Clocked in at 160 deaths up until now. Collect-a-thon time!

I'd say I enjoyed the game, greatly. It was fun, it's truly amazing, but it's not really mind-blowing, revolutionary or earth-shattering. Moreover, I feel insatiate, which is really sad as the next 3D Mario will be released who knows when. Oh well. The game is truly fantastic, but it's missing something and it isn't without it's flaws. Oh and I'd love there to be more levels like
Star-2, Bowser-1/Flower-11, dynamic levels that are challenging, but not unfair.

At this moment I'd say my personal ranking would be SMG2 > SM64/SMG > SM3DW >> SMS > SM3DL, though SM3DW is very close behind.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I feel they missed a trick regarding
the rocket that takes you to space. Should have looked like the chubby one from SMB2

Also where are my time trial ghosts?

Robin64

I feel they missed a trick regarding
the rocket that takes you to space. Should have looked like the chubby one from SMB2

Also where are my time trial ghosts?

Just keep going back into levels and setting yourself times, they'll appear. You tend to get ones that just slightly beat what you've set.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I dont get how people can defend Nintendo not putting online in this. Of course its better to play it locally, and it is definitely designed that way, but this should be the players option - not all of us have anybody locally to play with, so for many of us, online multiplayer is the only viable multiplayer at all - and its just ridiculous and frankly undefendable that Nintendo stubbernly refuses to add it.

Gartooth

I dont get how people can defend Nintendo not putting online in this. Of course its better to play it locally, and it is definitely designed that way, but this should be the players option - not all of us have anybody locally to play with, so for many of us, online multiplayer is the only viable multiplayer at all - and its just ridiculous and frankly undefendable that Nintendo stubbernly refuses to add it.

This. I rarely get to play local multi as it is, and I'd be lucky to just get a 2P game going let alone 4. I do appreciate that Nintendo stands by local multiplayer. Playing NintendoLand at my dorm with a bunch of friends last year was an incredibly great time and some of the best fun I've had playing a multiplayer game in recent memory, but at the same time I don't think it's fair to keep these great multiplayer games away from online just because it works best locally.

I think it's actually damaging to Nintendo that they don't embrace this, because I'm sure a lot of people didn't enjoy NintendoLand as much as they could because they couldn't play the multiplayer mini games as much, which in turn probably hurts word of mouth.

Porcile

These days local multiplayer usually gets ditched in favour of online multiplayer. It's rarely both. Nintendo chooses to design experiences around local multiplayer. You like online, but personally I wish more games had local multiplayer like SM3DW instead of online modes which die out after a few months.

MegalonJJ

Banned
I need help with a stamp on a World 4 level:
Where is it on the 4th world castle/boss level? (The lava level with the spinning rock boss at the end. I think it's in the pipe somewhere under the lava, but I need help please)

LudwigB

Started Mario earlier today and I can't believe how beautiful everything looks. The music is also fantastic. I'm on the second world so far, but I'm really enjoying this game so far. Can't wait to play some more later tonight.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I need help with a stamp on a World 4 level:
Where is it on the 4th world castle/boss level? (The lava level with the spinning rock boss at the end. I think it's in the pipe somewhere under the lava, but I need help please)
Climb up the left wall just before the long stretch at the end.

Dr.Hadji

That's easy.

1. I have plenty of local multiplayer options, so I don't care about having an online option.
2. Nintendo doesn't feel that that the hampered online play experience is a product worth putting out.
3. Probably most important. The majority of the market buying these games don't care if online play is excluded. Just in the same way many AAA games don't have suitable local multiplayer, and couch co-op online features because their market expects to play their games online.

Andrew.

Banned
i maxed out my lives by finding a shell autojump trick in the second level on my first go. 10 Minutes

I need to find a YT vid of someone doing this so I can learn how. Ive had issues with it ever since I was a kid playing the original SMB. I gotta stock up on lives for the post game worlds.

I need to find a YT vid of someone doing this so I can learn how. Ive had issues with it ever since I was a kid playing the original SMB. I gotta stock up on lives for the post game worlds.
Its all about the timing. Get the turtle shell as close to the wall as possible then hop on it

For me, this game was amazing right from the first level. Of course I had the benefit of starting with my best buddy and playing through the entire game two player, which had a huge impact. I imagine if you played this game single player it wouldn't be nearly as exciting. So my initial impression is certainly going to differ from others in that regard. With that in mind, that my very first touch of 3D World was that of a two player adventure, it immediately shot up past the Galaxy games for me. I don't think I've smiled or laughed so much at the crazy shit that could only happen with two or more people.

Like I said before, it's like a little bit of Smash Bros. in my 3D Mario, which works surprisingly well. Even with the brilliant GTAV and LOU, this is my favorite game this year.

NotLiquid

I thought that the Wii Pad button at the bottom was switching the camera to be controlled by the gyro. I had no idea it actually gave you full-on free camera control as opposed to just changing the angle.

Game just got a lot more cool to me. Just wish I didn't have to turn it on every time I enter a level.

daakusedo

The camera movement limit sounds like those flying monsters in metroid or WHAT?
And a plant just ate a green mushroom before I could get it...

I thought that the Wii Pad button at the bottom was switching the camera to be controlled by the gyro. I had no idea it actually gave you full-on free camera control as opposed to just changing the angle.

Game just got a lot more cool to me. Just wish I didn't have to turn it on every time I enter a level.
WHAT? Holy damn I'm going to try this out!

zroid

Banned
Okay, I think I decided I'm going to chill out with some Tearaway before tackling Champion's Road. After getting wrekt by Mystery House Marathon last night, I need a break before diving into what will surely be an even bigger massacre of lives.

edit: lol haven't turned on my Vita in months, here come the firmware updates...

Are there any other online co-op platformers where the characters can jump off each other and interact? The only other one that I recall is the Ratchet and Clank game and that had a lot of clipping issues and lag. (Still a fun game though).

GWX

Bought a Wii U (the Zelda one) and this game yesterday. Played the first two worlds. Goddamn, I'm loving it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Just keep going back into levels and setting yourself times, they'll appear. You tend to get ones that just slightly beat what you've set.
Well I tried going back into the same level multiple times (one where my own ghost has appeared before) and not a single Mii appeared. Ah well. Hopefully they'll appear for me one day as speedrunning was what kept me coming back to 3DLand.

Mecca

I'm up to World 5. I started playing last night and stayed up until 1am. This game is so bright and colorful that I felt at one point like my eyes were going to melt from the brightness or maybe I was just really tired. Seriously though, this game is really colorful especially in a really dark room.

For me, this game was amazing right from the first level. Of course I had the benefit of starting with my best buddy and playing through the entire game two player, which had a huge impact. I imagine if you played this game single player it wouldn't be nearly as exciting. So my initial impression is certainly going to differ from others in that regard. With that in mind, that my very first touch of 3D World was that of a two player adventure, it immediately shot up past the Galaxy games for me. I don't think I've smiled or laughed so much at the crazy shit that could only happen with two or more people.

Like I said before, it's like a little bit of Smash Bros. in my 3D Mario, which works surprisingly well. Even with the brilliant GTAV and LOU, this is my favorite game this year.

Yeah, I've liked this game since the first level. In fact, I thought the first two worlds were better than the first two worlds of the Galaxy games (overall).
I'm up to World 5. I started playing last night and stayed up until 1am. This game is so bright and colorful that I felt at one point like my eyes were going to melt from the brightness or maybe I was just really tired. Seriously though, this game is really colorful especially in a really dark room.

Awesome avatar.

spliced

Well I tried going back into the same level multiple times (one where my own ghost has appeared before) and not a single Mii appeared. Ah well. Hopefully they'll appear for me one day as speedrunning was what kept me coming back to 3DLand.

Do you have it set to show them? In the start menu click on the N in the orange box and it'll let you turn it on or off.

Also propeller head and skate at the same time lol.

So that Champion's Road...
It's wrecking my shit, It took me an age to figure out an effective way of overcoming the final set of beep blocks where they form that staircase like shape, got as far as the wall jump section before calling it quits for now. I will make Toad a champion of champions dammit, I just gotta relax for a bit, that stage ain't good for my health.

I see you're shedding tears for the under exposure of another 1-2 underground music arrangement.

No joke, the constant use of that music is like the main reason that i'm tired of underground stages.

Robin64

What, not even just general ghost Miis? Because time trial ones are rarer, but I haven't had an old level without a ghost Mii at all...

Have you checked the Nintendo Network setting on the pause screen while on the world map?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Do you have it set to show them? In the start menu click on the N in the orange box and it'll let you turn it on or off.
Yes and since I work in IT I even tried turning it off and on again.

What, not even just general ghost Miis? Because time trial ones are rarer, but I haven't had an old level without a ghost Mii at all...
No. I've only seen three ghost Miis in total and they were all of mine when I went back into a level straight away.

It's wrecking my shit, It took me an age to figure out an effective way of overcoming the final set of beep blocks where they form that staircase like shape, got as far as the wall jump section before calling it quits for now. I will make Toad a champion of champions dammit, I just gotta relax for a bit, that stage ain't good for my health.

Owl pls

Believe in the JC that believes in you

Jobbs

Banned
Anyone else Toading it all the way? He controls the best, and if he has decreased jumping power, it's not like it matters -- I haven't seen anything I can't get to because I'm Toad.

Andrew.

Banned
Owl pls

Believe in the JC that believes in you

jerry+elaine.png

OmahaG8

Screw it. Bought it, wanted to do eShop to reduce system noise (despite my rational eShop hate), took advantage of the digital promotion for $5 back, download at 80%.

So excited!

Gartooth

A Tanooki suit is pretty much mandatory for that stage so be sure to bring one. A cat suit can't hurt either as there are some portions where it will certainly help with climbing.

afoni

Banned
I just snapped my gamepad in half over my knee whilst playing the final world. Anyone know how Nintendo usually is for this stuff?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I just snapped my gamepad in half over my knee whilst playing the final world. Anyone know how Nintendo usually is for this stuff?
Rage control issues? I hear nintendo are pretty cool with those.
prepare a benjamin or so

Davey Cakes

And people said this game was easy.

(Mario games usually are until the very end and the post-game)

Sorry that your Gamepad is broken.

Top Bottom