• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

roknin

I've been playing with Toad. During the initial playthrough I pressed random before each stage, but now that I'm clearing up the missed bits I'm sticking with the Toady one,

Also I don't think Luigis are hidden on every stage, well at least I couldn't spot one on 1-1. But I did notice that
the rocket appears in the background now.

Toad is super-fun to play - his jump doesn't seem quite as bad as I figured it'd be when compared to how crappy it was in SMB2 USA.

And yeah, I don't think Luigi's are in every stage either... buuuuuuuut then again, considering where I've found some of them, maybe they are and we're just not looking in the right spots or even paying attention for them. :-o

Damn, now I really would be interested in a sort of "spot all the Luigis screenshot listing or something similar haha.

I never noticed that detail
in 1-1 after completing the game - will have to look at that later today, that's slick as hell. Love little touches like that. <3

Nudull

Banned
Rosalina
seems a bit clunkier to me than I expected. Playing as Peach up until now has spoiled me, XD. There is just so much to love about this game, so glad I got my Wii U for this.

Also, Toad is extremely speedy. You folks weren't kidding. o.o

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I stopped reading right there.
Really?
You think adding an online multiplayer mode, of acceptable quality, to this game is so easy that you are comparing it to placing Luigi sprites around the game?

I don't see how it has anything to do with stubbornness. They obviously decided, at some point, that it wasn't worth the time.
Placing Luigi sprites is piss-easy in comparison, and doesn't require much, if anything, in the way of additional play testing.

And people are saying the game would suffer because people expect Mario not to be an unplayable mess. Even if it's some optional mode, Nintendo and Mario platforming fans do expect quality and polish - as opposed to some janky un-fun abortion of an online option.

Of course it is an exageration - but no, i dont consider it too much for a fucking multimillion dollar company like Nintendo to prioritize this considering everybody else seemingly have enough resources for it.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Well I am sure it matters for pro-players, but for most people it doesnt. It is the same with all online games, and would be the same here. Only a tiny percent of the millions playing Street Fighter ever go to such a tournament precisely because for most people the online is good enough. The same would be true here and in pretty much every other game.
Most people are fine playing on horrible HDTVs with post-processing filters that make video games unresponsive as hell, through composite cables because they're too dumb to realize that they should be using HDMI instead.

I don't really care what most people think.

Of course it is an exageration - but no, i dont consider it too much for a fucking multimillion dollar company like Nintendo to prioritize this considering everybody else seemingly have enough resources for it.

You really think they didn´t push it in a game like 3d world, which is highly polished and probably has one of the highest budgets within nintendo, because of.... ressources? It´s missing because they decided not to do it. It doesnt matter if you could live with minor lags here and there. Nintendo can not. Again, the big difference to everything else out there is the interaction between players. The "heartbeats" for the netcodes to check the states for each player have to be ridicoulus short. Even shorter than in an fps. Watch some 4 player gameplay and think about it.

Morfeo

In other news, I just completed Grumblump Inferno in world 8 - the first really challenging level imo, not looking forward to go back for the green stars here.

daakusedo

For speedrun, an item management menu like nsmb would have been good. If I die I loose the cat suit so I have to do the level just for the suit or being lucky and getting it in a toad house.
Or when I did 1-2 and get hit by the last goombas column for not loosing time climbing the flagpole with the cat suit. But high chance that I'll need it again in the next level.

Actually, there was a thread about this and there were posts about how an online multiplayer platformer would be more complex to implement than an online fighter game. Here's one post from someone who has had experience implementing online infrastructures.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42880454&postcount=841

In your 3rd point, you might be referring to my reply to your original post. I was bringing up a lack of other online co-op platformers not as a defense of Nintendo but to point out that maybe it is a genuinely difficult problem to create a playable online mode.

Morfeo

Most people are fine playing on horrible HDTVs with post-processing filters that make video games unresponsive as hell, through composite cables because they're too dumb to realize that they should be using HDMI instead.

I don't really care what most people think.

Yeah, what are you arguing then? I am arguing there is no good defense for not putting online in this game, if you are going to participate in that discussion, you have to consider what most people think, as you are clearly in the minority.

You really think they didn´t push it in a game like 3d world, which is highly polished and probably has one of the highest budgets within nintendo, because of.... ressources? It´s missing because they decided not to do it. It doesnt matter if you could live with monor lags here and there. Nintendo can not. Again, the big difference to everything else out there is the interaction between players. The "heartbeats" for the netcodes to check the states for each player have to be ridicoulus short. Even shorter than in an fps. Watch some 4 player gameplay and think about it.

I am not saying they didnt do it because of resources - you read me wrong - I am arguing AGAINST people using the argument "it would take resources from something else" for why there is no online in the game, an argument it seems we both disagree with. I agree they did not do it because it was a design decision, a design decision i do not understand, but still a design decision.

Morfeo

Actually, there was a thread about this and there were posts about how an online multiplayer platformer would be more complex to implement than an online fighter game. Here's one post from someone who has had experience implementing online infrastructures.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42880454&postcount=841

In your 3rd point, you might be referring to my reply to your original post. I was bringing up a lack of other online co-op platformers not as a defense of Nintendo but to point out that maybe it is a genuinely difficult problem to create a playable online mode.

Well this is a valuable contribution. As far as I read him, he does actually say that it is more difficult than a 2D-fighter, which then will actually defend Nintendo, since they are pretty incompetent when it comes to online. However, it doesnt seems like it is miles more difficult than a 2D-fighter, and there is no doubt in my mind that lag is more important in a fighter than a game like this - so I guess they should still have done it? What was the general consensus of the tread? Should it be possible or not? I dont have time or want to read through all of it right now.

Berordn

Yeah, what are you arguing then? I am arguing there is no good defense for not putting online in this game, if you are going to participate in that discussion, you have to consider what most people think, as you are clearly in the minority.

Appeal to majority is a logical fallacy.

Sixfortyfive

For speedrun, an item management menu like nsmb would have been good. If I die I loose the cat suit so I have to do the level just for the suit or being lucky and getting it in a toad house.
Or when I did 1-2 and get hit by the last goombas column for not loosing time climbing the flagpole with the cat suit. But high chance that I'll need it again in the next level.
Speed running this game is going to be strategically difficult unless people figure out a way to glitch through star requirements.

If you take both warp zones and the shortest map route, you won't have enough stars to progress through world 7 even if you pick up every single one in the stages you have to play.

Well this is a valuable contribution. As far as I read him, he does actually say that it is more difficult than a 2D-fighter, which then will actually defend Nintendo, since they are pretty incompetent when it comes to online. However, it doesnt seems like it is miles more difficult than a 2D-fighter, and there is no doubt in my mind that lag is more important in a fighter than a game like this - so I guess they should still have done it? What was the general consensus of the tread? Should it be possible or not? I dont have time or want to read through all of it right now.

Why is it more important in a fighter than here?

Regiruler

The sequel of the best-selling Gamecube game isn't flagship enough? I don't remember them recalling MK7 when the Wuhu Island bullshit made the game unplayable until the patch either. Or is sequel to best-selling Wii game not good enough either? They didn't do it because making the game itself probably was a humongous task, or maybe they don't feel the extra work would actually translate in extra sales, which might indeed be the case. But this crazy narrative of Mario platformers being too sacred for anything less than 0ms lag is just nonsense. The main game would be perfectly playable online. Post-game, possibly not so much.

They patched Wuhu Island. It took them a long-ass time to do it, but they patched it and IIRC every Nintendo game since the patch has had some sort of patching framework in place.

Morfeo

Appeal to majority is a logical fallacy.

??? What are you arguing? I was talking about why I think Nintendo should put online in the game - and your response is "you dont care so Nintendo shouldnt care"? Am I reading you right? If so you are making a terrible point that I dont care to follow up on. I dont like the Cod-games, should Activision stop making them? The answer is clearly no because they earn them money.

When arguing what a company like Nintendo should or should not do, we have to think about what the general or a lot of consumers would want. Or subjective view or needs are completely irrelevant in this.

Morfeo

Why is it more important in a fighter than here?

Because a fighter is faster and even more dependend on split-second moves?

Anyways, I have a Europa Universalis 4 online multiplayer going. Looking forward to respond to all the answers I probably get for hijacking the thread with this later :)

Sixfortyfive

I'm really not sure why you value responsiveness in one reflex and dexterity-based game more than another.

??? What are you arguing? I was talking about why I think Nintendo should put online in the game - and your response is "you dont care so Nintendo shouldnt care"? Am I reading you right? If so you are making a terrible point that I dont care to follow up on. I dont like the Cod-games, should Activision stop making them? The answer is clearly no because they earn them money.

When arguing what a company like Nintendo should or should not do, we have to think about what the general or a lot of consumers would want. Or subjective view or needs are completely irrelevant in this.
It continually confuses me when an individual consumer argues for the interest of companies and the mass market. Why should any of that be relevant to me? My main concern is what I want, and I do not care about online play.

From the posts that look like they come from people who know about online infrastructures, it is more difficult for a platformer like Mario. The trouble is that along with inter-character interactions, there are a lot of interactions with enemies and the environment as well. There is no clear indication how much more difficult it would be than a 2D fighter. I think the only statement we have heard is from Nintendo themselves and all the other devs who are good at online games are not making platformers. It is difficult to get a straight answer.

Personally, I would have loved this game to have online multiplayer. Most of my friends who play Mario are not local to me. At this point, I don't know if it is Nintendo being "lazy" or whether it is difficult to implement.

The one thing we do know is that Nintendo is like Apple. They might be late to the party but they won't put something out till it has reached what they consider an acceptable level of performance.

I think the control one has over Mario's direction and jump arc (which is dependant on the length of button press and movement in the air) is as fast as a move in a fighter. That is one of the reasons Mario games feel that good and why we don't see cheap deaths.

Xun

This is by far one of the best games I've ever played.

It's just phenomenal.

I'm at the
castle world, so how much more of the game do I have remaining?
I assume there's quite a bit more after this, but I just want to know.

Wii_U_screenshot_TV_0145_D.jpg

This game.

Berordn

I'm not arguing. Using a majority opinion in an argument is a fallacy.

I've beaten this game 3 Times with 3 different sets of people, I understand it's a concern for some gamers, but I'd rather Nintendo focus on local co-op than trying to force in online. I have enough online only co-op games on other systems

kizmah

All right, so the game was kinda easy the first two worlds. But difficulty really ramps up in world 3. The magic was there from the start though. Game is amazing and it just keeps getting better.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't think Nintendo is getting nearly enough praise for this game's Miiverse integration, which is utterly genius and honestly quite a brilliant porting of the types of comment systems present in other games (DeS/DaS) into the level-based mario format. NSMBU kinda did it but the ease of access and the stamps take this to another level.

ALL MY LOVE, Nintendo.

roknin

I don't think Nintendo is getting nearly enough praise for this game's Miiverse integration, which is utterly genius and honestly quite a brilliant porting of the types of comment systems present in other games (DeS/DaS) into the level-based mario format. NSMBU kinda did it but the ease of access and the stamps take this to another level.

ALL MY LOVE, Nintendo.

While I was always aware of Miiverse, I didn't use it nearly as much until this game. :-o

Also the Ghost Miis are pretty boss.

Anyone know if there's some sort of requirement that needs to be met to run into Ghost Miis carrying a present? And is it always a coin? :-o

Hopefully I didn't miss some simple explanation somewhere. ^_^'

Berordn

Anyone know if there's some sort of requirement that needs to be met to run into Ghost Miis carrying a present? And is it always a coin? :-o

Hopefully I didn't miss some simple explanation somewhere. ^_^'

I don't know that there's any pattern to it, it seems pretty random whenever I find one. And sometimes it's 10 coins or a powerup, so that's kinda nice.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
world 3 100%

getting really really good now! :)

about lack of online: I don't miss it much, and I kind of get where the high precision camp is coming from. However, that doesn't explain why its missing in other games like pikmin 3 and Nintendoland, where it would be more welcome to me. I'm putting it down to

1) Lack of experience, network structure
2) a rather weak cpu, which was stated to be the reason for dropping it in Pikmin 3

the beach intro with the drowsy goombas just kills me, lol

moolamb

ALL MY LOVE, Nintendo.

I agree, but the thing that bothers me is the 5 second delay and 'action completed' screen when all I want to do is Yeah! someone's post. Surely it can be done in background or deferred? If you like something on Facebook, it doesn't blank the screen for 5 seconds to confirm with the server...

Madouu

Just got to world 3 and I've been enjoying it so far, 2 players was a lot of fun too. 3-2 was quite a challenge compared to the levels before.

Zemm

ALL MY LOVE, Nintendo.

The only thing I don't like is how many people use stamps. I thought people had amazing drawing skills at first then I found out about the stamps. I still think my Heisenberg "nothing stops this train" picture on one of Bowsers levels is one of the better ones. That's some serious self bragging, haha.

WTF @ Grumblump Inferno. Died 10 times at the first block. Got 2 stars and stamp but the 3rd star is killing me. I even did the first half with no Tanooki suit.

Caladrius

How do you get to this level? I saw it from a far, I think, but I haven't got there yet. Is it after the post-game levels or is it hidden somewhere else?

It's hidden in
World 5. You have to inspect one of the objects lying around in the area and find a warp pipe that leads to two more warp pipes. The top one leads to the money train, the bottom one takes you back to world one.

jdforge

Banned
This is the first game in such a long time that I'm having fun playing to get everything 100%.

It has never once frustrated or annoyed me. The difficulty seems to be just spot on. I'm already towards the end of the game and have went back and just 100%'d up to W3.

Loving it.

Sixfortyfive

I think Big Bounce Skyway is one of the only stages in this game that does nothing but irritate me.

You just move so slowly.

Rehynn

Finally sat down in front of the game alone.

The raw joy of movement and the level of mechanical polish is mindblowing. Not sure how the whole game will make me feel, as I'm only an hour in, but Jesus do the guys at EAD know what they're doing.

ALL MY LOVE, Nintendo.

maybe too well I've seen a lot of people complain that it spoils secrets for them

I like it but I still find Miis running around on all fours very creepy

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
This game is endless, I figured it would end after completing the first
space world
, but there's so much more. How much is left?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Playing this game without powerups is really damn hard.

The game should actually have a game mode dedicated to this. I know techically you could just not collect power-ups if you really want that challenge, but it's not the point. There's more of an incentive to do it if there's an actual game mode for it.

By the way the game really steps up with the post main game content. The difficulty curve is perfect. So good. It's a shame Nintendo took this long to come up with a 3D Mario formula that plays like the 2D games.

Top Bottom