• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

So I'm collecting stamps and green stars and such, and I grinned like an idiot at this stamp location (spoilers, World 6-1 iirc)

The stamp being on top of the clear pipe. I just...I don't know what made me grin at that. It's just...I didn't expect anything to be there. IT's a pipe. I didn't even know I could JUMP on the pipe.Tried it on a whim. That opens up a whole 'nother world of platforming goodness.

I can't stress enough how HAPPY this game makes me.

So I'm collecting stamps and green stars and such, and I grinned like an idiot at this stamp location (spoilers, World 6-1 iirc)

The stamp being on top of the clear pipe. I just...I don't know what made me grin at that. It's just...I didn't expect anything to be there. IT's a pipe. I didn't even know I could JUMP on the pipe.Tried it on a whim. That opens up a whole 'nother world of platforming goodness.

I can't stress enough how HAPPY this game makes me.

I loved that one so much. One thing I love about this game is that basically anything you can think of to do in a stage can be done.

dmr87

Loved the level with cherries and the blocks that changed with the beat of the music, don't remember which world and number.

Gsnap

I am shocked at how many people apparently don't know about the rolling long jump. It's the best move in the game. I got 90% of gold flagpoles using the rolling long jump.

And yeah, the spin jump is fun, but it's difficult to use it in a platforming situation. The best way to use the spin jump is by doing a rolling long jump into a spin jump. During a rolling long jump, your momentum is forced into the direction you are jumping and you can move the analogue stick without changing your characters momentum. That means that you can spin it while mario is in the air, and then jump when you land and you'll get a perfectly lined up spin jump with some forward momentum. It's a ton of fun to use and is actually useful for platforming. Though it isn't always easy to pull it off.

zroid

Banned
I am shocked at how many people apparently don't know about the rolling long jump. It's the best move in the game. I got 90% of gold flagpoles using the rolling long jump.

And yeah, the spin jump is fun, but it's difficult to use it in a platforming situation. The best way to use the spin jump is by doing a rolling long jump into a spin jump. During a rolling long jump, your momentum is forced into the direction you are jumping and you can move the analogue stick without changing your characters momentum. That means that you can spin it while mario is in the air, and then jump when you land and you'll get a perfectly lined up spin jump with some forward momentum. It's a ton of fun to use and is actually useful for platforming. Though it isn't always easy to pull it off.

That's very interesting, gonna have to give it a try later

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't beaten the final stage, but I've gotten all the green stars and stamps elsewhere.

100% cleared through world 3. Worlds 4-7 should go quick, I've only got to do one or two characters per stage. Lot of work left on the worlds after that. Co-op makes it easy, but it also burns through lives like crazy.

I'm at the very last world in the game at the very last mystery house. It is at this point that I just discovered you can roll and do a roll jump in this game...

O__O

You can fucking roll in this game?!?!??! YOU can fucking ROLL JUMP in this game?!?!

spin jump I learned on the last world. twirl stick to spin then jump. This can really help you get to high places.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Spike's Lost City and Hands-On Hall really remind me of some of the original levels created for Newer Super Mario Bros Wii.

Probably a coincidence, but it's kind of neat.

I... I think I did it... unless there's a cruel joke after this I finally did it!
Final level spoilers: http://i.imgur.com/zHjGoRV.jpg

I almost caved after all the talk of the Tanooki Suit being needed to complete this level but I did what I set out to do and it feels good!

Best/worst part is that after days of actually focusing and trying, the time I casually decide to play on the pad while watching TV I manage to beat it on the first try.

Gonna go ahead and take my victory ride now. This game!

Kyzon

Anyone know what the song that plays before you jump into the boss levels (motley etc)?

Edit: It's a remix of World 8 I think. I can't remember though since I haven't started a new file to go there :/

this is so frustrating post game at what point is this unlocked in the menu?

menu icons of the 5 characters to keep track of who you completed a level with?

KiN0

I really enjoyed that level. At least, with the cat suit I did.

I just really hate auto scrolling levels. Add on the fact that the fences frequently disrupted my rhythm and I just lost all patience with it. Too much waiting. For me at least.

Just played Sunshine to see what the "nerfed moves" fuss was all about. Holly molly! The spin jump and side jump are out of control in that game. The spin-jump is about 3 to 4 times larger than your standard jump!! I can kind of understand where some people are coming from now. It also makes me appreciate 3d Land/World's style of designing levels to empower momentum and your standard jump (2d Mario style) even more. Where your spin jump and side jump are accents to your jump and not cure-alls for any platforming situation.

You can appreciate it, I guess, but It just means the levels are simplified because they can account for players not having crazy agility. The real spin jump and side flip moves in their non-nerfed forms don't have to be "cure-alls" if the levels are designed properly. As it is in 3D World, there's next to no free form platforming and ninja skills. I'd say they went too far in the 2D direction with this series. I get that some people love that, but it's my one major gripe with the game.

Best/worst part is that after days of actually focusing and trying, the time I casually decide to play on the pad while watching TV I manage to beat it on the first try.
Haha, I love that kinda shit. That's basically what playing through any Wipeout or F-Zero game is like to me. Oh, this level's too hard? Let me come back in an hour and whiz through it without trying for whatever reason I'll never understand

You can appreciate it, I guess, but It just means the levels are simplified because they can account for players not having crazy agility. The real spin jump and side flip moves in their non-nerfed forms don't have to be "cure-alls" if the levels are designed properly. As it is in 3D World, there's next to no free form platforming and ninja skills. I'd say they went too far in the 2D direction with this series. I get that some people love that, but it's my one major gripe with the game.

After playing through the game I understand this standpoint a whole lot better and kind of agree to a point. I'm considering this game a one-off for now (with no reason given to believe otherwise and every reason to believe that Nintendo isn't retiring their original 3D format after the last two
stellar
games) and I absolutely adore it for what it was but I don't think I could live without another epic 3D Mario. If this sub-series went on to replace NSMB though? No compromises themed 3D adventure Mario on the left, and tightly designed throwbacking multiplayer pick-up-and-play format Mario on the right? BOTH packing the kind of incredible music and art direction that Galaxy made standard? Oh man that'd be my perfect Mario world.

btw there's tons of ninja skills to be had in 3D World but they're more reliant on manipulating object and enemy placement than busting out moves from a roster that tbh got a little bit redundant. Of course that extended moveset fares far better in a sandboxy 64/Sunshine sort of game where half the fun is fucking around within the environments and in games like that I wouldn't trade them for the world. Another thing about Mario's old movesets vs. 3D World's is that the 3D World levels aren't necessarily simplified because moves have been pared down. In fact I feel like the entire purpose for giving Mario so many different moves in the old 3D games was that they help to compensate for environments that aren't as tightly designed for pure platforming as they are ripe for exploration and discovery (hence Galaxy's paring them down to begin with simultaneously with a return to more linear level formats, and relegating most of the True Ninja Skills to shit you'll only ever learn about browsing youtube). 3D World's levels look simple enough on the surface but they're not even simpler than most Sunshine's or 64's, just significantly different in structure.

EulaCapra

3-7 Switchboard Falls. Pretty easy enough.

But now do this with 4 players. I think we lost over 100 lives past the middle goalpost. None of us could decide on which left/right to depress on so we're always on both, at least two of us would be running too fast so the other two would be bubbled and those bubbled would always pop in an open platform, none of us fell at the same speeds during the waterfall drop to the moving platform, at least two of us kept hitting the block that changes the tracks too many times to plummet to our deaths, and those that survived all that were split between getting a green star (which I already got days ago) and getting to the goalpost so we'd jump under different assumptions... to our deaths.

And there was this one hilarious time where you all should drop at the same time next to the waterfall so you all depress the right platform button to go right instead of landing squarely on the left platform button which will push against the wall and drop characters. Everyone needs to drop at the same time so no one gets pushed from the left or drop because the platform has gone too far to the right. My three friends had dropped at three different rates and I figured we'd all die again. Two of them had landed on the right platform button with the other about to drop to their death. I had yet to drop and figured I would be bubbled to them or all of them to me. They all bubbled to me so everyone is alive on top of the waterfall. When I tell them to all drop at the count of 3 towards the right platform, we do and everyone is dropping in unison... to their deaths. We didn't see it, but the platform had already moved to the right by 3 long jumps.

So fuck you 3D World. And thank you at the same time. That made a hilarious memorable moment.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
My least favourite level is World
⚘ (that's meant to be a flower)-1. I like zipping through levels even if it means risking death but this level was just slow and boring.

btw there's tons of ninja skills to be had in 3D World but they're more reliant on manipulating object and enemy placement than busting out moves from a roster that tbh got a little bit redundant. Of course that extended moveset fares far better in a sandboxy 64/Sunshine sort of game where half the fun is fucking around within the environments and in games like that I wouldn't trade them for the world. Another thing about Mario's old movesets vs. 3D World's is that the 3D World levels aren't necessarily simplified because moves have been pared down. In fact I feel like the entire purpose for giving Mario so many different moves in the old 3D games was that they help to compensate for environments that aren't as tightly designed for pure platforming as they are ripe for exploration and discovery (hence Galaxy's paring them down to begin with simultaneously with a return to more linear level formats, and relegating most of the True Ninja Skills to shit you'll only ever learn about browsing youtube). 3D World's levels look simple enough on the surface but they're not even simpler than most Sunshine's or 64's, just significantly different in structure.

You don't need a sprawling environment to have a bigger and more agile platforming moveset, though. All of the extreme ninja skills in 64/Sunshine, and Galaxy to a lesser extent, came out of the tight platforming levels. Players took the movesets and used them in ways other than the norm to make a mockery of the levels (especially with precise spin jumps in Sunshine) and it was glorious.

Oidisco

I'm near the end World Flower and to be honest, these 2 remix worlds are just after putting a bit of a downer on my experience with the game. I just finished Shiftier Boo Mansion and while the style was cool, I just found myself being incredibly frustrated trying to find the exit. Plus, very few of these remixes have been fun, though that's probably because I don't really like the selection of levels they chose.

There are far better levels in this game that could've had remixes. Maybe these last few levels will change my opinion, but I kinda doubt it.

Other than that, this game is absolutely incredible. Quite possibly my favourite game in the series.

KiN0

After playing through the game I understand this standpoint a whole lot better and kind of agree to a point. I'm considering this game a one-off for now (with no reason given to believe otherwise and every reason to believe that Nintendo isn't retiring their original 3D format after the last two
stellar
games) and I absolutely adore it for what it was but I don't think I could live without another epic 3D Mario. If this sub-series went on to replace NSMB though? No compromises themed 3D adventure Mario on the left, and tightly designed throwbacking multiplayer pick-up-and-play format Mario on the right? BOTH packing the kind of incredible music and art direction that Galaxy made standard? Oh man that'd be my perfect Mario world.

I think there's enough room in the franchise for 3 platforming series. Nintendo just needs to figure out what they want to do with each one. With the 3D games, they can focus on tight level design similar to an obstacle course. With the "adventure" series, they can go all out and make grand open playgrounds with an emphasis on acrobatics and movement like sm64. And with the 2D, they just need to give the presentation of the series an overhaul. Level design as far as I can tell is still top notch.

gotoadgo

I really enjoyed that level. At least, with the cat suit I did.
It's designed with the cat suit in mind. I thought it was a fun level and somewhat challenging.
I'm also noticing that if I get all the stars and the stamp for a level but for some reason don't get the flag pole right, it's fun as hell to blast through the level as fast as possible with Peach ignoring everything. It's like a little mini speedrun every time.

corn_fest

The Sunshine discussion is really making me nostalgic for that game and its movement style.
I don't think I've ever had more fun just moving a character around, what with the dive, side jump, FLUDD to correct your jumps... it all just feels so fluid (though I always wished that switching to the Hover Nozzle midair retained more momentum).
I really hope Sunshine gets the Wind Waker HD treatment and ditches some of the blue coins.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I think there's enough room in the franchise for 3 platforming series. Nintendo just needs to figure out what they want to do with each one. With the 3D games, they can focus on tight level design similar to an obstacle course. With the "adventure" series, they can go all out and make grand open playgrounds with an emphasis on acrobatics and movement like sm64. And with the 2D, they just need to give the presentation of the series an overhaul. Level design as far as I can tell is still top notch.

I agree, but in order to do so it's important to distinguish the fact that Galaxy (especially the 2nd) was way more similar to 3DLand/World (so: obstacle course) than 64 or Sunshine (more open world)

In any case: I've finished World 1 and loved the boss fight!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

I definitely agree with this. Screw all the haters that says we get to much Mario, I say make it a yearly franchise, but alternate between these three series to change things up.

Anyways, is there a lot of secret exits in this game? And is there a way to know which levels I am supposed to look in?

Just beat final level for the first time and I did it with
Rosalina
. Only the mystery house from the final world is left. I think it'll be equally annoying.

Oidisco

It's funny that as soon as I complain about the Flower World, suddenly it throws 3 amazing courses at me. I love this game.

Dougald

This game is fantastic. The difference in quality from the first couple of worlds (where I just wanted to stop playing and go back to the PS4), and the later worlds is just massive

The flip-swap levels though in a co-op focused game... it's like Nintendo wants me to get a divorce. The crown mechanic is great however, I can't count the number of times I've seen game over because we were too busy fighting over a pointless hat.

This game is fantastic. The difference in quality from the first couple of worlds (where I just wanted to stop playing and go back to the PS4), and the later worlds is just massive

The flip-swap levels though in a co-op focused game... it's like Nintendo wants me to get a divorce. The crown mechanic is great however, I can't count the number of times I've seen game over because we were too busy fighting over a pointless hat.

Playing game tonight and this is what I'm worried about. Hell my other half was furious as I dared to pick up a power up in Pikmin on Nintendoland as "Its my favourite"

And she wonders why I don't let her play Pikmin 3!

Wish I could be
Rosalina
but I'll happily be Mario

You don't need a sprawling environment to have a bigger and more agile platforming moveset, though. All of the extreme ninja skills in 64/Sunshine, and Galaxy to a lesser extent, came out of the tight platforming levels. Players took the movesets and used them in ways other than the norm to make a mockery of the levels (especially with precise spin jumps in Sunshine) and it was glorious.
True and it's one of the best parts about those games too. That kind of design works when you're creating the more organic and surreal worlds that adventure 3D Mario is known for that don't rely on intricate straightforward platforming alone for their appeal. Super Mario 64 is where it's most evident, because the sheer number of traversal skills made for interesting worlds that could be navigated with creativity and precise skill but at the same time the actual platforming itself was often pretty uneven, or simple, or sometimes unintuitive (in retrospect at least). Nintendo tackled the challenge of making Mario something new entirely with aplomb though, creating these large playgrounds where issues that simply came with the territory - big platforms, sparser spacing of enemies and obstacles, platforming challenges that don't flow as organically into one another (from a platforming-oriented design standpoint) - were compensated for beautifully by giving players a gamut of methods with which (and routes through which) to blaze their own unique platforming paths through worlds where even when you think you know what to expect there's something new to discover just around the corner (alongside the sheer newness of being able to do that). Sunshine took things a lot further by seriously making Mario agile and designing an entire game worth of challenging themed stage gimmicks and segments to offset the game's key gameplay difference from 64 being the equivalent of the 3D platforming easy button. So Sunshine was jam packed with skill based platforming sections but part of the skill that comes with playing Sunshine well is understanding its camera and control faults and learning to compensate for it. Ninja skills were achievable but they weren't that intuitive. Which I absolutely appreciate for the satisfaction that comes with mastering them and it's a standout Mario game in my book for it.

3D World's format plays with the pacing and momentum of a 2D Mario game, which has some great benefits IMO that allow it to compensate for characters having a smaller moveset than in the other 3D games. The more rigid map design and the timer both emphasize near-constant platforming while the level design retains the 2D series' quality of being so damn exploitable, with enemies and obstacles placed just so, creating challenges with both simple solutions and more complex applications that allow for combinations of basic moves to amount to ninja skills (like discovering that enemies on a given map are placed just right so that they pose a threat navigating the stage on ground level but with a Tanooki suit and some clever timing and momentum you can use them to never once touch the ground, to use an example from 3D Land). In addition, persistent powerups balanced for the level design and vice versa (and therefore powerups not relegated to stage gimmicks mostly) bolster traversal and survival options and allow for interesting new ways to tackle seemingly familiar 3D Mario obstacles. When you're designing levels that are supposed to last for like three minutes at a time it's a lot easier to take this sort of approach to level design. And when a lot of that sort of design philosophy makes up the game the expanded moveset is less necessary because everything is designed to be achievable and intuitive with the basic gamut of moves that makes up a fairly balanced repertoire - with varying levels of challenge and outside-the-box thinking required. 3D map design lends itself well to this because it allowed EAD to tap into an absolute bevy of gameplay concepts exclusive to the 3D series and still give players a much wider sense of control over their character while wrapping it in a familiar and accessible format where the satisfaction of playing stems from simply overcoming the last crazy thing the game had you do, immediately getting thrust into the next crazy thing (in maps that last three minutes but are often actually pretty damn huge, just linear), and gaining a more absolute and immediate understanding for your character's abilities and movement capabilities relative to the more rigid but more intuitively measurable map designs and challenges as you go. That's not to say there aren't caveats to this design and it's totally understandable why people prefer the more expansive 3D Marios for Mario's range of movement but 3D World's design is spot on for what it set out to accomplish.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Got all the stars, stamps, and flagpoles in all the main worlds. Just need to polish off a couple more levels in the post game for the final final level.

My body is ready.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's fun trying to beat levels in unintended ways using character abilities and power ups. Came so close to beating Clear Pipe Cruise with Peach w/ Tanooki without going in a clear pipe. Accidentally got sucked into one while going for the last two key coin things near the end.

Edit: Almost did it with Toad too, but that's a lot harder without the floating ability.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
horrible.sales apart...with Nintendo Land, this Super Mario and Mario Kart (judging from what I've seen so far) it seems that Wii U could be seen as the console able to propose the "summa" of Nintendo offer.
Summa =/ Best offer, but = concentrate in a software everything made that brand/s great over the years
The "only" problem of course it's that those products are heavily focused "only" on Mario, Mushroom Kingdoms or Family games (don't look for trolling here, please)
It would be great to see such an approach also to their other classic IPs, imho
And would be perfect to see them pushing as hard as this on new IPs too

afoni

Banned
horrible.sales apart...with Nintendo Land, this Super Mario and Mario Kart (judging from what I've seen so far) it seems that Wii U could be seen as the console able to propose the "summa" of Nintendo offer.
Summa =/ Best offer, but = concentrate in a software everything made that brand/s great over the years
The "only" problem of course it's that those products are heavily focused "only" on Mario, Mushroom Kingdoms or Family games (don't look for trolling here, please)
It would be great to see such an approach also to their other classic IPs, imho
And would be perfect to see them pushing as hard as this on new IPs too

Zelda, Metroid + other for E3 then I am spent and Wii U was worth it.

Top Bottom