• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

I can finally rest easy, Toad has become a champion of champions leaving his insignia on the flag of Champions Road ,
and no Cats or Tanooki suits need apply.....but I did have a Fire Flower waiting in reserve just for the last bit, alas I am only human. Better finishing stage than the Perfect Run and Special Crown, not that I really liked those two that much anyway, this one though was pretty fun when I wasn't cocking everything up in frustartion.
Yeah I'm gonna just steer clear of that last file star, golden flags were busywork enough.

Marvellous game on the whole yet it isn't my definitive GotY and I'm going to have to deduce why that is.
Actually it's probably due to Mario platformer fatigue, I never thought I'd see the day.

I was thinking broken gamepads watching 6:45 stream the last world last week but did not think a gaffer would do it

get angry walk away guys replacement gamepads are not sold in stores

Two levels in to
Star-World
and I find the assertion that this game has no precision platforming to be kind of laughable.

who would say such a thing?

what the fuck. Cakewalk Flip. This shit right here

2f4f3388cb6ff4277a542fa85fa4fec9f15ce7e8.jpg__620x350_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

fucking HARD SHIT FUCK

Yep, i gave up on this one.

kinggroin

Banned
It's because we know the latency would have killed it. Why do you think so few platformers are online? The precision required is just not possible with latency as it is.

Not sure I buy that.

I can see latency maybe affecting some teamwork stuff...maybe, but platforming precision should be handled locally anyway and only showing the other player your coordinate updates.

Anyone else Toading it all the way? He controls the best, and if he has decreased jumping power, it's not like it matters -- I haven't seen anything I can't get to because I'm Toad.

Right here. I frankly don't understand peach
and rosalina
players. Playing toad makes me feel alive, man.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Not sure I buy that.

I can see latency maybe affecting some teamwork stuff...maybe, but platforming precision should be handled locally anyway and only showing the other player your coordinate updates.
Yeah, but this applies not only to each of the individual players, but also to every single object that they can interact with. Some stages would definitely fare worse than others.

Nudull

Banned
Just beat the final boss and enjoying the credits.
In all my years of gaming, I have never laughed harder than I did at Neko Bowser

I can finally rest easy, Toad has become a champion of champions leaving his insignia on the flag of Champions Road ,
and no Cats or Tanooki suits need apply.....but I did have a Fire Flower waiting in reserve just for the last bit, alas I am only human. Better finishing stage than the Perfect Run and Special Crown, not that I really liked those two that much anyway, this one though was pretty fun when I wasn't cocking everything up in frustartion.
Yeah I'm gonna just steer clear of that last file star, golden flags were busywork enough.

Marvellous game on the whole yet it isn't my definitive GotY and I'm going to have to deduce why that is.
Actually it's probably due to Mario platformer fatigue, I never thought I'd see the day.

I expect some lengthy impressions soon, just don't post them in that SonicGAF thread, I hear thats frowned upon around these parts

Variety mostly and long overdue. Peach <3

Yeah I'm just playing around, Peach is awesome. Love all her unique animations and transformations. Not sure what nintendo will do now that they let the genie out of the bottle -- having Bowser kidnap her is simply not an option anymore.

But have you tried that Toad, though? Shit's addictive son.

I wonder which Mario game has the most types of enemies. I have a feeling this might be it. The creeping Piranha plants, Conkdors, the Rammerhead sharks and the shiny Lava spheres that follow you are all great. My favourite new enemy though are these guys.

fNf8CTh.png

Not sure I buy that.

You are talking about Mario here. The single most important character Nintendo has in stock. Nintendo won´t allow anything less than 100% the gameplay they intended for you. In the New series as well as in 3D wolrd you have 4 characters on screen which can, and this is important, interact with each other. In most other platfoerms you play the same level together, in a meaning you can see your partner but thats all. In Mario you can have 4 players with fireflowers, double cherries and enemies all interacting with each others. Latency may be tolerable for some players, maybe even for Nintendo - but not with Mario. As long as they can´t garuantee you a lagfree experience they won´t implement online multiplayer here. Btw that´s one of the reasons they won´t do mobile. The experiences would vary too much depending on the various mobiles you can play it on. Nintendos stndards may seem absurdly high, but that´s how they operate.

Synless

I'm sick and tired of fighting the same red shelled koopa boss in every Mario game. He does the same shit in every game. They really need to step up their boss fights in this series.

ColEx

I'm sick and tired of fighting the same red shelled koopa boss in every Mario game. He does the same shit in every game. They really need to step up their boss fights in this series.

Is it the same old jump on the head 3 times and win mechanic? If so i agree. :p

Lijik

I wonder which Mario game has the most types of enemies. I have a feeling this might be it. The creeping Piranha plants, Conkdors, the Rammerhead sharks and the shiny Lava spheres that follow you are all great. My favourite new enemy though are these guys.

fNf8CTh.png

The tadpoles are my favorite, theyre so adorable!
ikFOBqsDlgZ5g.jpg

Yep. If there is anything that disappoints me about this game it´s the bossfights. The snake was fun but everything else felt uninspired. First Bowser was fun,
final Bowser was very lackluster. After climbing the tower i was expecting a fight. Instead i got a pow block and the (main) game was over.. Galaxy was far better.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
pretty plaza panic, world 3

can't find stamp and
what do I do with the crown switch

small hint?

edit: lol, it was that

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Current Impressions: World 4 is where the level design in this game goes from "pretty good" to "OMG GOD-TIER"

Wonder what the rest of the game has in store for me in this case. :D

Meier

http://i.imgur.com/fNf8CTh.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

I loved the cherry power up. How exactly do you take screenshots with the Wii U? I haven't figured it out yet. Played for about 90 minutes last night.. brilliant game. So much variety.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
so when are we going to talk about how Princess Peach looks like she's farting when she gets a boost?

I expect some lengthy impressions soon, just don't post them in that SonicGAF thread, I hear thats frowned upon around these parts

We have to share our tomes with the rest of GAF for the greater good, see it sounds all noble when put that way.
I'm not even sure where to begin with this one, there's a lot to digest. I will say that your comparison to SMB3 was on the ball.

Darryl

Banned
what the fuck. Cakewalk Flip. This shit right here

2f4f3388cb6ff4277a542fa85fa4fec9f15ce7e8.jpg__620x350_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

fucking HARD SHIT FUCK

Even worse when you're trying to do it with people. It was a bit easier when I found out that you could have your teammate stand on top of the pulsing thing in the middle. You grab the first half real quick. Then your team mate can kill you off and grab the second half himself.

Peff

You are talking about Mario here. The single most important character Nintendo has in stock. Nintendo won´t allow anything less than 100% the gameplay they intended for you. In the New series as well as in 3D wolrd you have 4 characters on screen which can, and this is important, interact with each other. In most other platfoerms you play the same level together, in a meaning you can see your partner but thats all. In Mario you can have 4 players with fireflowers, double cherries and enemies all interacting with each others. Latency may be tolerable for some players, maybe even for Nintendo - but not with Mario. As long as they can´t garuantee you a lagfree experience they won´t implement online multiplayer here. Btw that´s one of the reasons they won´t do mobile. The experiences would vary too much depending on the various mobiles you can play it on. Nintendos stndards may seem absurdly high, but that´s how they operate.

Lijik

I loved the cherry power up. How exactly do you take screenshots with the Wii U? I haven't figured it out yet. Played for about 90 minutes last night.. brilliant game. So much variety.

If you press the home button, you can go to the internet browser and visit the image upload site of your preference. Then just choose to upload, and it'll let you pick from whatever is on the tv or gamepad screen!

Peff

As already said in the text you quoted - lag may be acceptable even for Nintendo. As seen in titles like kart, brawl, etc etc. But not with a flagship Mario title. Won´t happen.

The sequel of the best-selling Gamecube game isn't flagship enough? I don't remember them recalling MK7 when the Wuhu Island bullshit made the game unplayable until the patch either. Or is sequel to best-selling Wii game not good enough either? They didn't do it because making the game itself probably was a humongous task, or maybe they don't feel the extra work would actually translate in extra sales, which might indeed be the case. But this crazy narrative of Mario platformers being too sacred for anything less than 0ms lag is just nonsense. The main game would be perfectly playable online. Post-game, possibly not so much.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
The game would suffer for one of two things depending on how it would be implemented:

1) Input lag on everything that varies by ping. Nobody wants to play that.

2) Teammates, enemies, and objects that just teleport all over the place due to rollbacks. Not great when you consider how much that you can interact with all of those things. I actually think this could work in a differently designed game though, such as a game in which the players aren't forced to be in close proximity of each other at all times. But 3DW isn't that game.

Then you have to consider that you're not guaranteed to have communication with your teammates. Think about that for a minute.

Personally, nothing from the previous generation disappointed me as much as online play in general, especially in most of the types of games that I play. It's hardly a feature I require or even want in most of them, platformers included. I won't have the opportunity to play a full multiplayer session in this game until Christmas week, and I might not ever have the opportunity to have another one after that, but even then, I think online play would pretty much be a useless bullet point for 3DW that I'd never want to use anyway.

I see I have gotten a ton of responses, or "defenses" for Nintendos stance of not to introduce online, but I might as well answer here, not going to quote all of them.

I feel the problem with this and most other "defenses" of the no-online policy mistakes the point. You write: "the game would suffer" - now how so? The game would be completely the same in both single and local multiplyaer, the online multiplayer should only be added onto that.

As everybody who responds, I am also in favor of Nintendo continuing to produce these games with local multiplayer in mind first and foremost. What I am critizising is not that at all. It is the fact that they couldnt spare some workhours to give us a working online as well. So:

1. People quoting me misunderstand my message. I do not think Nintendo should make this game with online multiplayer in mind, or do online multiplayer instead of local multiplayer. What I say is undefendable is the fact that there is no fucking multiplayer at all - they have time to do this stupid luigi-sprites everywhere, but cant implement such a basic feature like this? Come on - this is all about stubborness from Nintendo because they feel the game is better in local multiplayer - which it definitely would be. But that doesnt change the fact that this should be the choice of us, the players, and not some directors in Tokyo (or even worse, a producer in Kyoto).

2. Some people say it wouldnt work because of lag etc. That is probably true for some people with slow internet connection. But I refuse to believe that online is not possible to get to work in a game like this, when it works flawlessly in games like Street Fighter that is much more based upon fluid framerate and no lag than this.

3. One or maybe a few persons said Nintendo doesnt have to do it, because nobody else does. That is not a defense, Nintendo should do it because it is designed as a multiplayer game - and the most easy way for people to experience multiplayer these days are via online play. Not a lot of other studios are even making 3D-plattformer - that doesnt mean Nintendo shouldnt do it either - in fact, that is rather an argument for making more games like that, and the same applies to this. Nintendo should not be "judged" or "defended" or whatever in comparison to other companies good or bad policies - they should be judged by what their games set out to do - how they succed in doing that - and what potential there might be to do even more things. In this case, there is the potential for a ton more players to experience the number one design decision going into this - that they for some reason decided to ignore. And I still see no good defense for that.

To summarize: Nintendo should NOT base this game around online multiplayer instead of local multiplayer, nor should they drop the local or anything else. However, it should be offered as an option, either by spending an extra week or whatever it would take to implement, using a few extra men to build it, or taking resources from something like the luigi-sprites all over. As good online multiplayr as exist in a ton of games, even on Nintendos own plattforms, there are just no good defense for not having online in a game so designed around multiplayr as this one.

With that said, its probably time to complete that world 8 :)

The sequel of the best-selling Gamecube game isn't flagship enough? I don't remember them recalling MK7 when the Wuhu Island bullshit made the game unplayable until the patch either. Or is sequel to best-selling Wii game not good enough either? They didn't do it because making the game itself probably was a humongous task, or maybe they don't feel the extra work would actually translate in extra sales, which might indeed be the case. But this crazy narrative of Mario platformers being too sacred for anything less than 0ms lag is just nonsense. The main game would be perfectly playable online. Post-game, possibly not so much.

Of course it´s an important title. But it´s not a flagship Mario title. Which was my point.
And no, it´s no nonsense. There is reason 95% of others platformers have only "ghosts" in online mutliplayer. You play together but it doesnt matter since you can´t interact. In Mario you bounce, carry, shoot jump all within miliseconds with other characters. On top of that there is still a level around you. They could do it. But not without lag, therefore not with a mario jump´n´run.

@morfeo: i am not defending anything. I explain it to you. ;) You mention street fighter. True, it requires a decent framerate and low lag. But why do you think it´s more difficult in a brawler than in a platformer? There are tons of things happening in a mario platformer. projectiles, collisions and interaction between players.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've been playing with Toad. During the initial playthrough I pressed random before each stage, but now that I'm clearing up the missed bits I'm sticking with the Toady one,

Also I don't think Luigis are hidden on every stage, well at least I couldn't spot one on 1-1. But I did notice that
the rocket appears in the background now.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I feel the problem with this and most other "defenses" of the no-online policy mistakes the point. You write: "the game would suffer" - now how so? The game would be completely the same in both single and local multiplyaer, the online multiplayer should only be added onto that.
This is a fair point. It just isn't relevant to me personally because I consider the absence of a feature to be equivalent to the presence of a useless feature.

2. Some people say it wouldnt work because of lag etc. That is probably true for some people with slow internet connection. But I refuse to believe that online is not possible to get to work in a game like this, when it works flawlessly in games like Street Fighter that is much more based upon fluid framerate and no lag than this.
This, however, makes me question your motor skills. I drive 3 hours to get to "local" fighting game tournaments precisely because online play is a joke in most of those games.

Super Mario has a lot more interactable elements in any given game session than Street Fighter, by the way.

LocalE

I see I have gotten a ton of responses, or "defenses" for Nintendos stance of not to introduce online, but I might as well answer here, not going to quote all of them.

As everybody who responds, I am also in favor of Nintendo continuing to produce these games with local multiplayer in mind first and foremost. What I am critizising is not that at all. It is the fact that they couldnt spare some workhours to give us a working online as well. So:

1. People quoting me misunderstand my message. I do not think Nintendo should make this game with online multiplayer in mind, or do online multiplayer instead of local multiplayer. What I say is undefendable is the fact that there is no fucking multiplayer at all - they have time to do this stupid luigi-sprites everywhere, but cant implement such a basic feature like this? Come on ...
I stopped reading right there.
Really?
You think adding an online multiplayer mode, of acceptable quality, to this game is so easy that you are comparing it to placing Luigi sprites around the game?

I don't see how it has anything to do with stubbornness. They obviously decided, at some point, that it wasn't worth the time.
Placing Luigi sprites is piss-easy in comparison, and doesn't require much, if anything, in the way of additional play testing.

And people are saying the game would suffer because people expect Mario not to be an unplayable mess. Even if it's some optional mode, Nintendo and Mario platforming fans do expect quality and polish - as opposed to some janky un-fun abortion of an online option.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
This is a fair point. It just isn't relevant to me personally because I consider the absence of a feature to be equivalent to the presence of a useless feature.

This, however, makes me question your motor skills. I drive 3 hours to get to "local" fighting game tournaments precisely because online play is a joke in most of those games.

Super Mario has a lot more interactable elements in any given game session than Street Fighter, by the way.

Well I am sure it matters for pro-players, but for most people it doesnt. It is the same with all online games, and would be the same here. Only a tiny percent of the millions playing Street Fighter ever go to such a tournament precisely because for most people the online is good enough. The same would be true here and in pretty much every other game.

NotLiquid

So I've finished the main campaign and
unlocked Rosalina.

For all my worries that this game would just end up being what is essentially a mere sequel of 3D Land, more than anything, this is probably the title that feels like a celebration of it's roots rather than a retread. While the game was released during Year of Luigi, this is the kind of game I'd expect Nintendo to put out during an anniversary for the series itself. This game is proud as hell over it's source material and is not ashamed to show it - the level design, collectibles, set pieces, playable characters, content and just about everything has never felt so "Mario" to me. It takes all the best bits and bobs from every 3D Mario game and stuffs it into this concise package that feels like the most complete Mario, while still feeling like it's the most "new" the franchise has been, and a good sign of what can be in store yet for the future of the franchise.

I said it once already, but 20 years ago when I was a kid and would get the chance to first play the Super Mario Bros. games on the NES and fantasize about what possibilities there were for the series, this game right here, 3D World, is exactly the kind of game I could only dream of playing, and Nintendo made that dream a reality.

Bravo, Nintendo.

Top Bottom