• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Xun

No one answered me before, but how much post castle world levels are there? I don't want this to end for a while.

kinggroin

Banned
You are talking about Mario here. The single most important character Nintendo has in stock. Nintendo won´t allow anything less than 100% the gameplay they intended for you. In the New series as well as in 3D wolrd you have 4 characters on screen which can, and this is important, interact with each other. In most other platfoerms you play the same level together, in a meaning you can see your partner but thats all. In Mario you can have 4 players with fireflowers, double cherries and enemies all interacting with each others. Latency may be tolerable for some players, maybe even for Nintendo - but not with Mario. As long as they can´t garuantee you a lagfree experience they won´t implement online multiplayer here. Btw that´s one of the reasons they won´t do mobile. The experiences would vary too much depending on the various mobiles you can play it on. Nintendos stndards may seem absurdly high, but that´s how they operate.

I understand that, and you could be right.

That really has nothing to do with my point and the post I quoted.

No one answered me before, but how much post castle world levels are there? I don't want this to end for a while.
Two more worlds full of new levels and then two worlds of "remix" levels. And then the Final Final Level which unlocks upon getting all stamps, green stars, and golden flags.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
All right, so the game was kinda easy the first two worlds. But difficulty really ramps up in world 3. The magic was there from the start though. Game is amazing and it just keeps getting better.

Hahaha.. yeah, I know what you mean.

Just wait. I'm dying at least five times per level where I am now.

If the castle is the 7th world like I'm remembering, there's
five more worlds. One of those is just two really hard levels and one final super hard level. Overall you have 40-45 levels to go.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Two more worlds full of new levels and then two worlds of "remix" levels. And then the Final Final Level which unlocks upon getting all stamps, green stars, and golden flags.
Really, there's a final final where you need all stars stamps and flagpoles?

Berordn

Really, there's a final final where you need all stars stamps and flagpoles?

Just like 3D Land there's a level that you unlock by having all the stamps, golden flags and stars you can get up to that point.

There's more stamps and stars you can get after, but they don't unlock anything else.

So I was led to believe that I'd unlock
Rosalina after Beating Bowser, I'm now on Star world and I didn't unlock her, does she unlock after Star World?
?

LocalE

Because a fighter is faster and even more dependend on split-second moves?

I don't think you're really taking into account all the interactions that can and do occur between the 4 players and the enemies and the environment.
Characters bumping into each other, bouncing off each other, killing enemies in various ways, smashing blocks that other players may be standing on or jumping towards, kicking or throwing shells, jumps causing platforms to switch orientation, etc., etc., ...
All this is done with player characters that have a lot more maneuverability than characters in a 2D fighter. The jumps will be of varying heights and lengths.

You don't seem to think it would be a significant challenge to make 3D World work online. I feel it would be quite an achievement to get it playable in an acceptable fashion.
And I do think that EAD Tokyo has to consider what they put their resources towards. They don't simply have all the developers and resources that make up "Nintendo" at their disposal.

If it were as easy as you seem to think it would be, I think it would be a design decision that would be much more likely to be made.

Just to dismiss it as stubbornness or laziness or ineptness as some would imply doesn't really explain it to me. It's more than that.

Roo

what the fuck. Cakewalk Flip. This shit right here

2f4f3388cb6ff4277a542fa85fa4fec9f15ce7e8.jpg__620x350_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

fucking HARD SHIT FUCK

What am I looking at?

I'm at the very last world in the game at the very last mystery house. It is at this point that I just discovered you can roll and do a roll jump in this game...

O__O

You can fucking roll in this game?!?!??! YOU can fucking ROLL JUMP in this game?!?!

FSLink

Banned
I'm at the very last world in the game at the very last mystery house. It is at this point that I just discovered you can roll and do a roll jump in this game...

O__O

You can fucking roll in this game?!?!??! YOU can fucking ROLL JUMP in this game?!?!

Am I the only one in Mario games who tries a bunch of different button combinations to see if they added a new move to Mario's acrobatic moveset? I noticed this as soon as I started 3D Land, and of course saw that it was back in 3D World. :p

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

O__O

Next you're going to tell us you didn't realise that is you ground pound and then jump after a second of holding the should button down you perform a boosted jump.

Xun

There's a lot after that. A LOT.

If the castle is the 7th world like I'm remembering, there's
five more worlds. One of those is just two really hard levels and one final super hard level. Overall you have 40-45 levels to go.
Good to hear! Thanks guys.

I don't want it to end, it's just superb.

Also just a quick general Mario question, but do you guys use A/X or B/Y to jump and run? I've always used the latter, but I'm curious as to what others use.

Next you're going to tell us you didn't realise that is you ground pound and then jump after a second of holding the should button down you perform a boosted jump.

And then afterwards he'll be shocked that you can spin jump by rotating the control stick quickly a few times and then jumping.

Also just a quick general Mario question, but do you guys use A/X or B/Y to jump and run? I've always used the latter, but I'm curious as to what others use.

B/Y. Feels like I have to stretch my finger too much to do the other.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
And then afterwards he'll be shocked that you can spin jump by rotating the control stick quickly a few times and then jumping.

B/Y. Feels like I have to stretch my finger too much to do the other.[/QUOTE]

B/Y and left trigger for crouch / long jump.

I tried right trigger at first but I kept fucking up majorly (50% of the time i'd hit b first then the trigger.. and ground pound to my doom lol)

kadotsu

Banned
I really hate the new implementation of the spin Jump. It was such an elegant tool in Sunshine but now it takes too long to get going and the reach is a Joke, same with the long jump.

Game is still great, regardless but I hope future 3D Mario titles will give me a stronger core moveset instead of power-ups.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So got to the credits. Almost did it in one sitting yesterday, but got stuck on the second to last level, but completed it today. Really looking forward to the post-game content! Def one of the best games Ive played this year and well worthy of all the praise it gets!

KiN0

So I just played this game with miiverse on. I am astounded by how much more fun the game is. Replays are so much more exciting with the ghost miis.

doraemoe

O__O

If you stay on the title screen long enough, they will show you all the moves.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I really hate the new implementation of the spin Jump. It was such an elegant tool in Sunshine but now it takes too long to get going and the reach is a Joke, same with the long jump.

Game is still great, regardless but I hope future 3D Mario titles will give me a stronger core moveset instead of power-ups.

The backflip is pretty awful too. On the few times I tried to utilize it, wasn't exactly helpful.

Dr.Hadji

Eh? The running long jump is pretty similar to the standard long jump distance. Stationary long jumps do squat though. Didn't find there was a major difference in the spin jump either.

Anteo

Eh? The running long jump is pretty similar to the standard long jump distance. Stationary long jumps do squat though. Didn't find there was a major difference in the spin jump either.

Dont you get the same distance from a rolling long jump? Pretty sure there is no difference and the rolling one can be done from standing still.

mentioned this a few pages ago. best part is when i did get the all the coins, i jumped to get the star and killed myself....

It was easier once I realized I didnt need to jump to get that green thing to summon the coins

Excellent, someone finally uploaded this song to Youtube! With all of the sound effects during the Hisstocrat boss fight (including that high-pitched call for servants), I feel like you can never quite fully enjoy this song in-game.

Oh my god thank you so much, I was JUST looking for this track today.

On the topic of the soundtrack, jesus h lopez. I love how it has this Christmas-y feel.
When I play it it feels like im 8 again playing throughout Christmas Eve all night on a Mario game.
This game is just pouring with joy

taybul

Tanooki spin jump is pretty Op. You are this spinning furball of death, trivializing Boom Boom/Pom Pom fights since 3D land. To do it while running I hit shoulder (R) then run button then jump in quick succession. From a standstill, R to crouch, the run button to roll, the jump to roll jump.

Dr.Hadji

Dont you get the same distance from a rolling long jump? Pretty sure there is no difference and the rolling one can be done from standing still.

Just tested this out and... you are right. I think I kind of knew this in 3D Land but it flew right out of my head for 3D World. Good call.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Just unlocked the extra character - so bummed that Nintendo already spoiled this before the game was released - would have been awesome to suddenly find without knowing anything.

Dr.Hadji

Just played Sunshine to see what the "nerfed moves" fuss was all about. Holly molly! The spin jump and side jump are out of control in that game. The spin-jump is about 3 to 4 times larger than your standard jump!! I can kind of understand where some people are coming from now. It also makes me appreciate 3d Land/World's style of designing levels to empower momentum and your standard jump (2d Mario style) even more. Where your spin jump and side jump are accents to your jump and not cure-alls for any platforming situation.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just played Sunshine to see what the "nerfed moves" fuss was all about. Holly molly! The spin jump and side jump are out of control in that game. The spin-jump is about 3 to 4 times larger than your standard jump!! I can kind of understand where some people are coming from now. It also makes me appreciate 3d Land/World's style of designing levels to empower momentum and your standard jump (2d Mario style) even more. Where your spin jump and side jump are accents to your jump and not cure-alls for any platforming situation.

Sunshine was all about the water squirt into dive. I did that everywhere.

Top Bottom