• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

taybul

I don't know if I have it in me to finish this one. 60 lives later tonight and I can't even get past the sound blocks.
As you'd imagine that's not even the worst part yet. There's one section I just got to where my first reaction was "noooooope" before even trying it. I'm pretty sure it's the last section.

I don't know. I'd rather have EAD Tokyo working on a new game.
I'm talking about small contents like Captain Toad levels, maybe some challenges + stamps. If you look at the credits, the small amount of people who worked on this masterpiece is ridicolous, I don't know if it would be a big problem for Nintendo to invest in some DLCs.
But overall the game has infinite replayability, I'm ok with that.

Change the shade of Mario's mustache, only $1.99 per palette swap!

10/10
WOULD BUY.

I was pretty sour going into this having just come off 3D Land and not liking it that much. Still easy going so far but I'm having a blast. I can probably attribute a lot of that to having an actual controller in my hands tbh

As soon as Miiverse popped up this is one of the first things I saw. Had me rolling

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01ugc7n.jpg

I was pretty sour going into this having just come off 3D Land and not liking it that much. Still easy going so far but I'm having a blast. I can probably attribute a lot of that to having an actual controller in my hands tbh

As soon as Miiverse popped up this is one of the first things I saw. Had me rolling

I guess I don't get it..

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm gonna spend as much time clearing the final level and mystery house than the rest of the game lol

Mystery house isn't that bad. That level though, I'm stuck at the beep block stairs (and that's only the second part...). They disappear so fast, and you have two connected together. I've gotten up to the last one a couple times but it's gone before I can get up to the platform.

Seems like it will be easier with characters other than Mario (except maybe Toad) or with powerups.

Roo

Those $60 totally worth it, huh?

I guess I don't get it..

It was the first message I saw and I was expecting something glowing about how great the game is. The message in combination with that poorly drawn elephant was too much for me

Those $60 totally worth it, huh?

Oh yeah, definitely. Finished the first the first two worlds minus one flag pole and it was a blast all the way through (double cherry pass omg). From what I've read the difficulty starts to ramp up around now so I only see this being better from this point

Count me as a believer of the Cat suit. I thought it looked ridiculous from its reveal but the power up feels so good to use. So agile

Marie's suit should totally be red though

Dr.Hadji

If I were to give a quick and dirty comparison of 3d World vs the Galaxies it would probably be something like, the Galaxies have the greater highs but 3d World is much more consistent.

Which shouldn't be too much of a surprise. Galaxies Achille's heel (if it has one) is how much and often the games moves through various gameplay types. Its to be expected that not all of these different gameplay styles would be equal in quality. For me, I thought what the games achieved with gravity and perspective easily surpassed any levels in which they weren't prominently used. So most any of the Mario64-like stages (Throwback Galaxy, Beach Bowl Galaxy, Honeyhive Galaxy, ect.), 2d sidescolling sections, or even levels like Bowser Jr's Airship Armada and Toy Time Galaxy would usually take me away from the number of thing I loved doing in the game. Not only that but moving across so many gameplay conventions, you could sometimes be stuck doing an action or playing a scenario that didn't promote platforming or ,even worse, platforming being replaced with an action that wasn't very dynamic or fun to use (Bee and Boo Mario say yo).

For 3d World I feel that "2d Mario feel in 3D!" is the core of the play experience (my favorite 3d Mario feel). Its a philosophy that extents to movement, pacing, power-ups, level design, you name it. And its a type of play that is carried much more strongly across most(all?) of 3d World's varied (but perhaps not as varied as Galaxy) scenarios.

afoni

Banned

DAT FINAL BOSMAN REFERENCE

find the post on miiverse i have to yeah it

OzPinoy

Banned
If someone said that Super Mario 3D World is Super Mario 3D Land on 3DS but with HD graphic, cat suit and local multiplayer. How correct would they be? A troll who clearly has his head in the sand or would that be a correct assessment.

Berordn

If someone said that Super Mario 3D World is Super Mario 3D Land on 3DS but with HD graphic, cat suit and local multiplayer. How correct would they be? A troll who clearly has his head in the sand or would that be a correct assessment.

Well, one game obviously serves as the framework for the other.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I wouldn't say it's correct, unless you would criticize any sequel/series as being the same thing with a new coat of paint. For example, Mario World is just Mario 3 with a dinosaur? I'd say functionally the games are equally different. Maybe not visually, which is probably the only reason the "3D Land in HD" thing ever came about.

Ansatz

Same deal as Galaxy -> Galaxy 2

The fact that it's a sequel of a handheld game is irrelevant. You could do that with everything. Uncharted 3 is just Uncharted: Golden Abyss with HD graphics.

(mat)

Relatively accurate, and there's nothing wrong with that. 3D Land was great. Although there is better music, multiple characters with different abilities, bigger levels, extra bonus stages, online ghosts, and miiverse integration in 3D World.

If you're asking if they feel like the same games, the answer is no. 3D World improves upon 3D Land in every aspect.

Fabrik

Banned

Pretty correct but add better music, better effects and lighting, bigger levels and more variety in obstacles and level design.

Sagitario

Does this game have sparkling stars like previous Mario games? Is there some kind of "reward" for not dying or making the golden leaf block appear?

Linkhero1

Almost done with Flower World. It's a lot tougher than the previous worlds but I've been able to clear the latter half pretty easily on my first couple of tries. Is it right for me to assume there's something after?

Berordn

Does this game have sparkling stars like previous Mario games? Is there some kind of "reward" for not dying or making the golden leaf block appear?

Yes.

As long as you don't use the assist leaf, the stars on the save file will sparkle. Making it appear no longer causes you to lose the stars.

ryanmac

Banned
This might be the most fun I've had with a mario game since Mario 64. The Galaxy games were stupendous, but I'm really enamoured with this. I'm willing to admit that it could just be because 3D World is more fresh in my mind. Either way.. amazing game.

Timeaisis

Alright, so I collected all the stamps up through World
Star
. But I only have 76...I thought there were more in the game? I know there's like 5 you get for
beating each level with every character
, but that still leaves a few unnaccounted for.

The reason I ask is World
Mushroom
seemingly has no stamps.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Just the shiny stars as far as I know. I don't know what the restrictions are on that but you can keep the shiny stars as long as you don't use the block. Not as restricting as 3D Land not even letting you see it.

Almost done with Flower World. It's a lot tougher than the previous worlds but I've been able to clear the latter half pretty easily on my first couple of tries. Is it right for me to assume there's something after?

Crown World, you need all gold flags (only once per level, not with each character), stamps, and green stars from everything to open it.

Linkhero1

Alright, so I collected all the stamps up through World
Star
. But I only have 76...I thought there were more in the game? I know there's like 5 you get for
beating each level with every character
, but that still leaves a few unnaccounted for.

The reason I ask is World
Mushroom
seemingly has no stamps.

Do we even have to complete
the remixed worlds with each character?
Feels like it's going to take me forever to accomplish for the remaining stamps, even with the trick.

Crown World, you need all gold flags (only once per level, not with each character), stamps, and green stars from everything to open it.

Thanks. I just need one more level I think.

zroid

Banned

Pain comes after

Lots of pain

daakusedo

In 3d land, much of the shortcuts and alternate ways of doing a level or speedrunning are often locked to the tanooki suit ability to float.

Here if I'm enjoying 3d world so much more is because there's a lot of jumping, running on thin platforms, accessible with a no powered up character.

There's that 100s Toad level where the shortest road is jumping on the slightly elevated edge of the multi characters platform, then long jumping on the thin barrier on the right to the end of the level. Or going on clear pipes in 6-1, in the raft level, rolling in a really tight spot between plants and the edge of the top platform or that ghost ship level skipping the warp boxes by jumping on the beams.

Bought and played this over Thanksgiving... boy is it awesome... but boy did it go by way too fast! The stars and stamps also felt a little too easy to find/grab for the most part.

I'm in love with the game... i just wish there was more... and a little more of a challenge. Not much if any exploration to levels as well.

Bought and played this over Thanksgiving... boy is it awesome... but boy did it go by way too fast! The stars and stamps also felt a little too easy to find/grab for the most part.

I'm in love with the game... i just wish there was more... and a little more of a challenge. Not much if any exploration to levels as well.
Super Luigi 3D World expansion Nintendo!!

There's still time in the year of luigi lol

Super Luigi 3D World expansion Nintendo!!

There's still time in the year of luigi lol

Id love that! Only thing i didn't like about the previous one was the time limit. I hate time limits in Mario games. I wish there was an option to turn it off. Sometimes i just want to run around and explore etc.

Which is why i still dream of a Super Mario 64 sequel... for the Wii U. I'd be in heaven with that with 3D world image quality... droooooool.

CrisKre

As far as I'm concerned it would be a bit misleading. I played both very extensively and I think they play and feel very differently. It does most definately borrow some design elements but strangely for some reason it feels like a great departure from 3d land for me.

I said it previously on this thread but a more apt description to me is super mario bros 3 in 3d.

I want this, but I don't want the Wii U. Wat do, gaf?
Get a Wii U. You can get SM3DWorld, NSMBU, W101, Pikmin 3, ZombiU, and E-Shop titles. Don't forget some of the Nintendo games releasing next year like Yoshi, Donkey Kong, and Smash Brothers. Do it! :p

CrisKre

I love messing around with the right sick and placing the camara closer to the character. It shows how graphically incredible this game is. I place the cámara a little lower and closer to the characters most times. Ead killed the visuals on this one. Good Lord.

Top Bottom